Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Default Good news for PC Racing fans

Shame about the price

Quote:
LOS ANGELES — May 9, 2006 — Today at the Electronic Entertainment Exposition (E3), Logitech (SWX: LOGN) (NASDAQ: LOGI) unveiled its most advanced gaming wheel ever, the Logitech® G25 Racing Wheel, enabling people to bring the most lifelike racing experience into the home. But amateurs beware: The limited-edition G25 wheel´s uncanny realism could lead to moments of extreme exhilaration and fear.

A member of the company´s extreme-performance G-series family of peripherals for PC gamers, the Logitech G25 wheel offers advanced features which, until now, could be found only in specialized or custom-made racing simulators that sometimes cost thousands of dollars to assemble. These features include a six-speed gated shifter and clutch pedal; two high-torque force-feedback motors; an 11-inch wheel; and a full 900 degrees of rotation. The wheel, shifter and pedals are made with premium materials such as stainless steel and leather, delivering the look and feel of parts from a race car cockpit.

"We´re helping people bring the race car into their home," said Ruben Mookerjee, Logitech´s director of product marketing for interactive entertainment. “The G25 wheel will take expert gamers to places they´ve never been. It will make people forget they are in front of their PC, and it will put them in the pole position at Indianapolis, Monza or Brands Hatch race tracks.”

Six-Speed Shifter and Clutch Pedal
The Logitech G25 Racing Wheel is the company´s first to include a six-speed gated shifter, complete with a push-down reverse gear, offering a new level of control. Now racers can quickly shift into any gear as they decelerate going into turns and accelerate out of them — rather than cycling through gears sequentially or hoping an automatic transmission selects the most appropriate gear. Advanced driving techniques such as heel-and-toe downshifting are made possible with the included clutch pedal.

Two-Motor Force Feedback
Logitech, which has sold more force-feedback wheels than any other company, introduced the industry´s first two-motor force-feedback mechanism with the G25 wheel console, providing stronger and more precise feedback. With a second motor, the directional forces are more realistic and evenly distributed throughout the wheel — drivers will feel everything from the banks in the road to impact with walls, structures and other cars. The two-motor system is also much quieter than other force-feedback solutions.

Sturdy Design, Premium Materials
The 11-inch wheel and the shift knob are wrapped in leather, providing comfortable grips over extended periods of intense racing. The wheel´s spokes and two paddle shifters are made of stainless steel, and the pedals consist of stainless-steel faces and steel frames. The pedal platform includes rubber feet that adhere to hardwood floors and a unique carpet grip system, ensuring that the pedals won´t shift or slide across the floor during a close race to the finish line. Both the shifter and steering console feature secure clamping systems and can be easily attached to a table or desktop.

900-Degree Steering, Advanced Controls
The G25 wheel turns 900 degrees lock-to-lock, much like a typical race car, allowing drivers to navigate hairpin turns with greater accuracy. And with anti-backlash gearing, there is no slack in the steering response, making any race a smooth, realistic and quiet experience. The wheel also features 12 programmable buttons — four buttons on the wheel, and eight buttons and a directional pad on the shifter — allowing gamers to put the most important controls where they want them.

Game and Platform Support
The Logitech G25 Racing Wheel is compatible with current racing titles, such as rFactor™ and Live for Speed, as well as several other PC racing titles currently in development. The wheel can also be used with any PlayStation®2 game that is compatible with other Logitech force-feedback wheels, including the Logitech® Driving Force™ and Logitech® Driving Force™ Pro.

For PC and PlayStation 2 games that don´t support the six-speed shifting mode, racers can switch the gearbox into sequential shifting mode, which is supported by almost all driving games. A complete list of games that support force-feedback wheels, 900-degree steering, and the six-speed shifter can be found on the G25 product information page at www.logitech.com.

Pricing and Availability
The limited-edition Logitech G25 Racing Wheel will be available online at www.logitech.com and through select retailers in the U.S. and Europe beginning in October. Its suggested retail price in the U.S. is $299.99.

About Logitech
Founded in 1981, Logitech designs, manufactures and markets personal peripherals that enable people to effectively work, play, and communicate in the digital world. Logitech International is a Swiss public company traded on the SWX Swiss Exchange (LOGN) and in the U.S. on the Nasdaq National Market System (LOGI).

# # #

M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

OMG ! SWEEEEEEET!
Old 08-06-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
turboute
turboute

Sheesh thats a good bit of kit - bet it will cost over $500 though putting it out of reach of most gamers.

Would probably want to mount it all to some car like frame so you get to sit in the right position to use it. (And have the Wisde Sceen TV / Projector in front of it)
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #4
gozza

worth every bit of dosh....if i had a decent game setup id want one for sure
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 11:05 PM   #5
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the Logitech Momo Wheel / Pedals... and that is just plain awesome for gaming..... This new setup, whilst expensive, would be the ultimate for the more mature gamers around who have the more disposable income, and like all the toys (Like me!) hehe... now to build a shell to put it in.....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 11:10 PM   #6
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

omfg that looks wikkid lol... i am a PC race driver (V8 Supercars 3 ROX!!) anyway that thing looks sweet as !
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 01:06 AM   #7
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I Want One, I Want One!!!!!
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 01:43 PM   #8
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Quote:
i am a PC race driver (V8 Supercars 3 ROX!!) anyway that thing looks sweet as !
Hehe, no offence mate, but V8SC3 isn't exactly the best physics engine around. If you're interested in some racing simulators, have a look at Live For Speed, NetKar, and some goodies from Papyrus Software, Nascar Racing 2003 Season (If you can find a copy under $300 now) or Grand Prix Legends (9 years old and better than ever thanks to community support).

I'm still using an old Logitech Momo Racing (Rubber wheel, not leather) and it's going quite well, although the steering shaft is getting a bit sloppy now. I know what will be replacing it :P

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sure looks great!
And one of the best games for physics is Richard Burns Rally, would be great on that! And yeah Grand Prix Legends and Nascar. RFactor is an awesome game too! Get the demo, you will see its fantasticly realistic!

They said 900 degrees is like race cars, its more like road cars....race cars often have 270 degrees etc. Anyway, you can easily adjust the used degrees like the 900degree one they already have out.

I have the Logitech Momo Racing, and its great, although if you steer to wildly and quick the straight ahead position goes wrong.....out of warranty so they wont fix it. Very common problem for logitechs.....
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 02:14 PM   #10
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

:
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #11
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope this comes on the the PS2 or something.

Always wanted a clutch and actual gearstick.

Paddle shifting gets boring.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #12
Hotwire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
:
:
NERD!

:
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #13
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Who give's a sh ! t! thats freaking cool!
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 05:37 PM   #14
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

I'm sure there's been wheel/pedal combos with gated shifters before... Nascar 03 had support for it IIRC.

And i'm with Aaron on this one. Give me 5 laps at the nurburgring in the scuderia in Grad Prix Legends - you can have your 400 cars and 50 something tracks in gran turismo.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:46 PM   #15
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
:

[3 monitors pic]
That must be helpful for getting to the apex right.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:23 PM   #16
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
:
What's your LFS name :P
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #17
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Well done, the same image has been posted 3 times.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #18
HLC
Audi S3

how long til xmas?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #19
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
how long til xmas?

Too long til christmas......

only thing that would make the 3 monitor picture better, would be if they were all LCD flat screen's.... all 19" or bigger, and with minimal edges, it would be almost a continuous image. (Or a very realistic A pillar)
Old 13-06-2006, 02:55 AM   #20
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

Very disappointed with Toca3/V8Supercars3 even though the graphics look sweet, the shading is poor and handling is all wrong. Flat out 3rd gear through the Adelaide hairpin four cars wide? Come on. However, despite the slightly cartoonish (by comparison) graphics of F12002(with GTR mod), GTR, GT Legends, and the new GTR2 their realism is SUPERB. I am working on importing some of the international tracks from Toca3 into the GT Legends game I currently am hooked on (which is a little short on circuit variety); and I have started building a mod I'll likely call Aussie GT Legends with striclty Aussie-built Ford/Chrysler/Holden cars throughout the years (up to 5 or 6 per manufacturer, per class, per year) in showroom-spec.

Multiple monitors like that is cool, but I personally bought a demo projector for less than a good 19" LCD, and I can run a simillar wide screen or wrap-around image if I choose, at up to four metres accross in my loungeroom. Now THAT folks, is COOL. I have a Thrustmaster forcefeedback wheel, and have thought about modifying it for a more stable, portable, 720-degree unit and intergrating a foot clutch, etc., but for $500 I'd definately buy that Logitech G25. In fact - once I've finished this mod pack, I might do just that.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 12:26 PM   #21
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Big Mike: sounds good your mod!

Theres heaps and HEAPS of people working on making cars and tracks for Richard Burns Rally, but they cants seem to make tracks yet. I sure hope they succeed soon!!! Best game!

Theres talk of using GPS to drive down any road you like, and you can save all the detail (corners, altitude, etc) and put it into a track editor to race on it. How good would that be!!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #22
crispymk2

You could see what time you could set on your work run in ideal conditions without worrying about cops LOL!
Old 13-06-2006, 09:12 PM   #23
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
Theres talk of using GPS to drive down any road you like, and you can save all the detail (corners, altitude, etc) and put it into a track editor to race on it. How good would that be!!
Imagine a pure simulation of the Great Ocean road....... That would just be SWEET.....
Old 13-06-2006, 09:22 PM   #24
Dezza
Parts bin special

Kyro, I want that system! That is awesome! The Logitech steering wheel is great too.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post