Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #151
HLC
Audi S3

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Agreed!.. Not only that, but it also saves some skin if (when) you come off.

This! Gonna go buy some fingerless gloves today getting a bit warm for the full finger gloves and I'm not keen to just lop the fingers off them with scissors ha ha
Old 28-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #152
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
No major hills...but the there is a progressive climb and head wind on one part of the loop I do...

I honestly thought it wasn't a good pace...had a bit left in the tank. My goal is 1 hour per 25km...the tri is 90km ride. See how I go.

I think with clip in I could go a bit faster with the same/less effort...but I'm just not comfortable with it.

On a tri bike you should be able to maintain a speed of 30-35kph easy!! Did a ride the other week - 90km in just under 3 hours. 32kph avg speed with a killer headwind for about 35km. And that was fixed gear with no aerobars!

Sounds like you are makingnsome good progress. P,ease get some proper pedals though. If not clip less, get some MKS sylvan track pedals with toeclips. You will become much more efficient!
Old 28-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #153
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
On a tri bike you should be able to maintain a speed of 30-35kph easy!! Did a ride the other week - 90km in just under 3 hours. 32kph avg speed with a killer headwind for about 35km. And that was fixed gear with no aerobars!

Sounds like you are makingnsome good progress. P,ease get some proper pedals though. If not clip less, get some MKS sylvan track pedals with toeclips. You will become much more efficient!
I'm just lending the bike at this stage for the race, but I will probably purchase something for myself...I feel it's good training for the downhill mtb I do as well.

Did 30km last night, no worries at all...Think it took me an hour or a bit less, doing the same small 4km loop is quite boring. Oh I also came a small cropper too fishing around for the water bottle.

My only worry is i'm competing in the half iron man and some guys will be guns at it.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #154
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

i hate you guys for this :
after reading this thread i went out and grabbed a flat bar trek, and went for a ride last night. woke up with sore legs and a sore backside. flet good finally doing some excercise and the mrs is excited that i might possibly loose some of my gut if i stick with it.
so i think a thankyou is fair, thankyou.
Old 28-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #155
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by X000BOSS
after reading this thread i went out and grabbed a flat bar trek, and went for a ride last night. woke up with sore legs and a sore backside. flet good finally doing some excercise and the mrs is excited that i might possibly loose some of my gut if i stick with it.
haha. Im glad some of us have inspired you to get on the bike and have a go. Regardless of what bike you have or are getting, keeping active is crucial in a society where obesity reigns supreme. Doing it on a bike is just that bit more fun and who knows, you may just get your mrs into it too when she sees how good you look after a few months. I have noticed vast improvements in leg strength, muscle tone in my thighs and calves, and all round better lung capacity and well being. It's taken me 34 years to find a sports niche I liked and I think I have finally found it.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #156
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Do you have padded shorts though? They can help quite a bit so your rear end isn't as sore the next day. My wife got me a pair for my birthday earlier in the year, from A-Mart I think, and they look like normal shorts, but have a lycra-like inner and the necessary padding.

As for gloves, I bought some full finger ones over in NZ from Kathmandu last year and the couple of rides I've been on when it's been freezing cold has saved numb fingers.
^^^This. Some people don't realize you don't have to wear lycra to ride a bike. It's just a common material associated with the sport. My mate has a phobia of lycra, like it's going to make him look completely naked etc. lol. So he is planning on getting some MTB shorts with the padded lining as he can't handle the sore butt pain he gets. It's more expensive to get these shorts but overall if it makes you feel more comfortable, then do what you need to do. Frankly I don't know what the fuss is about. Lycra is just material in the end. It's NOT like your wearing a bloody thong....

I wanted to get the full fingered gloves during my winter rides but never got around to it. So I didnt bother. My fingerless ones are perfect for riding now as the weather is getting warmer. But come next season, I will invest on the full gloves.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 28-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #157
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

The MTB type shorts with the internal lycra are called Shy Shorts

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #158
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I use to laugh at the people wearing the lycra cycling shorts... Now people laugh at me!!!

2 years ago I bought myself a good pair with a decent amount of padding and found them to be the best money I have spent in cycle clothes ever. I can do a 180+k ride and still be able to get up the next morning and go for a beach road burn.. So the investment in some decent knicks are certainly worth it!

One last thing though; there are saddles and then there are saddles but that is opening a huge can of worms!
Old 28-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #159
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Agree with the lycra thing.... my family is in hyterics about me wearing lycra.

But I find that it is actually comformatable on the bike, and you don't get that sore **** from riding. Pls I love the pockets in the back of the jersey - very handy indeed.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #160
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Agree with TZENU and Sam. Knicks are underrated by far. My family also give me crap about it. But IDGAF as I'm comfortable and have had no issue with butt pain since wearing them for riding. I actually smirk at those who don't wear them now. You'd be silly to do a ride over an hour long without them. Chaffing, saddle sores anyone?

As for saddle's, well I still have my factory Kona saddle my bike came with and its been fine. My mrs Kona saddle has been upgraded to a gel saddle as she refuses to wear 'nappy pants' as she calls them. Go figure.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 28-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #161
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good on ya mate. Great part of cycling is that you get results really quickly.

I'm not good at sticking with fitness programs etc, but cycling just gets easier and easier every time so is very good @ keeping your attention.
Old 28-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #162
gtfpv
GT

Quote:

HAHAHAH , enjoy . it gets easier , and now you have a new hobby as well . many accessories to buy at the bike shop , or rebel , or anaconda .
someone on a forum said too me also , as i became time speed and distance orientated , i'ts all good , but mix it up a bit . try different routes , different rides,sprints, endurances, distances , stoppoffs , and sometimes just enjoy the scenery . it's great for the mind too
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #163
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

i recently bought a mountain bike. for fitness and it is now my daily driver and i leave the xr6 t in the shed for the weekend. i cover 14 km's per day riding to and from work. malverstar xcs 1.0 2011 model. i chose a mtb instead of a road bike because i like to go off road at times and jump gutters and what not. i love it so far. pedaling flat out i have had it up to 45 km's per hour. but i usually average @ 21-25 km per hour and the 7 km's per trip takes me 20 minutes.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #164
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81
i recently bought a mountain bike. for fitness and it is now my daily driver and i leave the xr6 t in the shed for the weekend. i cover 14 km's per day riding to and from work. malverstar xcs 1.0 2011 model. i chose a mtb instead of a road bike because i like to go off road at times and jump gutters and what not. i love it so far. pedaling flat out i have had it up to 45 km's per hour. but i usually average @ 21-25 km per hour and the 7 km's per trip takes me 20 minutes.
That's about the same sort of speed I do on my hybrid. I'm guessing you'd go better again if you got a flat bar roadie with slick, skinny tires. One thing I have found with MTB is the tires are a bit harder to turn with the nobbly bits on the tires when it comes to sealed roads. But other than that, it promotes good resistance training for when you get onto a road bike. Keep at it.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 29-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #165
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

i actually traded a road bike in when i got this mtb. im not into the road race scene. i would rather the reliability of the mtb tires and the off the beaten track capabilities.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #166
HLC
Audi S3

I wear my Knicks with cut off jeans over the top! Much more socially acceptable when going to the pub!!! Check these guys out for some socially acceptable cycling wear! I have their Jean shorts and they are amazing! Www.creuxcycling.com

Also in regards to saddles ha ha I had a bare carbon 89gram weight-weenie-esque saddle and it was awesome!!! But would get pretty harsh after about 90 minutes in the saddle! Also rocked a cinelli unicanitor for a while but the sell Turbos are amazing!!! 1986 baby!
Old 29-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #167
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Thanks for that link henri. top idea and great clothing line.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 29-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #168
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Thanks for that link henri. top idea and great clothing line.
Great guys too! Aussie label!
Old 30-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #169
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Picking up one of thses today , Hallelujah the day has finally arrrived .

http://www.malvernstar.com.au/range/bike-2624.aspx
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #170
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice bike, boss just got one as his "trainer" bike. Definitely look great in person.
Old 30-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #171
xbandrew
THATXB

sweet, the oppys are great to ride!!, i got an A5, one of my mates has that one good bike!
Old 30-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #172
TZENU
XY Driv3r

MS make a fantastic bike!! You will be very happy.. I got to ride both the c6 and 7 when the Mrs use to work at PAC Brands.. They are one of the best bang for buck bikes out there

HLC thanks for the link!! Perfect for when taking out the SS Masi!!!
Old 30-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #173
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Nice looking bike and great componentry. I was looking at the oppy A2 FB before I got the Kona. Sadly they didnt have the model in the shop at the time and I went elsewhere to get the Kona. I love the curved top tube of the MS line.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 01-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #174
GTBenny
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just bought a Scott Genius LT30 and also picked up some MTB shorts off ebay for $56. Shorts are made in Oz and are great.

Benny
GT 335 MKII, ZF6, Tein coilovers, YT snout, 61mm pulley, KPM 1500HP fuel system, 1000cc injectors, E85, KPM exhaust, BMC air filter, KPM Streetfighter intercooler, built tail shaft, Truetrac, 479rwkw - 950nm.

Last edited by GTBenny; 01-04-2012 at 10:09 AM.
GTBenny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #175
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABenny
I just bought a Scott Genius LT30 and also picked up some MTB shorts off ebay for $56. Shorts are made in Oz and are great.

Benny
seriously heavy duty looking ride there . nice bike . what you going to use that for ?
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #176
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Seems everyone is being bitten by the cycling bug!

I just picked this beauty up, Merida Speeder T1. Weighs in at 11 kgs.

Now I have to upgrade my legs/lungs and heart to keep up with it!

All for a healthier body.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #177
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

did 32 klms this morning, raining the whole time, average speed was down 4-5 klms, got back soaking wet, even through my rain jacket and shoe covers etc and then found I didn't take any money for a coffee

Not as pleasant when riding in nice weather, but was still good to get out

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #178
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
did 32 klms this morning, raining the whole time, average speed was down 4-5 klms, got back soaking wet, even through my rain jacket and shoe covers etc and then found I didn't take any money for a coffee

Not as pleasant when riding in nice weather, but was still good to get out

A second class ride beats a first class walk if you ask me.

I rode 60km yesterday, even with a hangover it was good to get out on the bike.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #179
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

carbon bike frames...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11344316
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #180
GTBenny
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
seriously heavy duty looking ride there . nice bike . what you going to use that for ?
Yeah it seems quite capable so far. I'll be using it mainly for off road xc riding and some moderate down hill fun. It's not real nice riding on the street due to the tyres but has a great feature where you can lock the suspension out to stop bobbing when peddling. Has 180mm of travel so I have plenty of suspension to play with.

Benny.
GT 335 MKII, ZF6, Tein coilovers, YT snout, 61mm pulley, KPM 1500HP fuel system, 1000cc injectors, E85, KPM exhaust, BMC air filter, KPM Streetfighter intercooler, built tail shaft, Truetrac, 479rwkw - 950nm.
GTBenny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post