Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What type of Engine do you prefer?
4.0L Turbo I6 461 47.67%
5.4L V8 467 48.29%
Neither, I'm a 4cyl fan 11 1.14%
Candy 28 2.90%
Voters: 967. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2006, 11:55 PM   #241
b2tf
not here much anymore

I actually voted Turbo 6 before, and to be honest I wouldnt be fussed about owning either!

As it stands though, Im about to purchase my first V8 very soon.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:14 AM   #242
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive got an au xr8 now but ill probably go for a turbo six next.... plus since i already have the flash tuner for my AU, owning a very quick xr6T/F6 would only be a bluepower visit away
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #243
xr8man83
Grunt Files

go the v8 gotta love the sound wish i could of voted on a 5 ltr
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 11:02 AM   #244
1TUFFUTE
Banned

ask me again when they bring out the supercharged GTHO phase V :
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 11:10 AM   #245
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
I wonder what the sales figures reflect since the BA was launched, lets say XR8 vs XR6T. I see more XR8s on the road.
XR6Ts comfortably outsell the XR8 at the moment.

You probably notice more XR8s because of the bulge, whereas a XR6T can appear like an omnipresent XR6 from most angles.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 11:25 AM   #246
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

love 2 have this car in my garage
Jock260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:35 PM   #247
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Its pretty funny how people vote for the eight, but sales figure tell the real story...

I lot of 'enthusiasts' would always swear black and blue that 8 are great, the only true performance car blah blah blah, but then when it comes to purchasing a car themselves.......they get the poverty pack six, or MAYBE the turbo. True believers put their money where their mouth is and PAY for the 8, and not just vote for it.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 01:21 PM   #248
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
True believers put their money where their mouth is and PAY for the 8, and not just vote for it.
I originally voted for a turbo (cos I love the sound of its sneeze , but since having an 8 in my possession for just over a week.. I think I can safely say I now want an 8.....
I know it is going to cost more to run (rego, fuel, insurance, maintenance), but OMG....
I think I am having a secret love affair with this car :eclipsee_

: : :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 01:39 PM   #249
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

I was a 6T fan for a while up until I saw and heard these two clips.

XR8 Exhaust with Full 3" Di Filippos

XR8 doing skids

Simply music to the ears. :Reverend:
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 09:00 PM   #250
XR8MAD
Venom XR8

I love the V8 for the Aural Sex it give U!!!!!!
XE Fairmont 250 16.57et
XB 500 351 14.00et
XB GS 351 13.12et
Current ride:
AUII XR8 ??.??et
XR8MAD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 03:13 AM   #251
AEF_Silver94
Falcon obsessed

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon
I was a 6T fan for a while up until I saw and heard these two clips.

XR8 Exhaust with Full 3" Di Filippos

XR8 doing skids

Simply music to the ears. :Reverend:

thanks for those,downloading now
AEF_Silver94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 12:07 AM   #252
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Heres one more you'd probably like. Its 18MB so you should download it first. Save as is usually the trick

BF XR8
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 12:57 AM   #253
Pouki
Crusin

turbro :
Pouki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 01:19 AM   #254
coreyea
Starter Motor

turbo
coreyea is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #255
Muscle_Inc
GT= The Gamble,The Legend

I cant help myself here so i must make a vote and ill say the v8 gets the vote from me!

Now i have driven a xr6t in stock and modified form and i must say they really do hammer and it probably is better bang for your buck ,though on the other hand only just having the opportunity in just sitting in a bf xr8 the exhaust note even in stock form that comes out of it got me wondering what the hell is lurking under that bulge its just sex on wheels but unfortunately it doesnt quite have that '' pin you back'' feel like the xr6t does.
Muscle_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 01:40 AM   #256
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just voted 4cyl fan. Both cars I've owned have been 4cyls. My current ride is a MY03 WRX and it flys. I still love turbo 6s and V8s though.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 06:23 AM   #257
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
I originally voted for a turbo (cos I love the sound of its sneeze , but since having an 8 in my possession for just over a week.. I think I can safely say I now want an 8.....
I know it is going to cost more to run (rego, fuel, insurance, maintenance), but OMG....
I think I am having a secret love affair with this car :eclipsee_

: : :
I seriouly can't believe what I am reading..,,LOL

But I must say, I am glad you have seen the true path to or Lord, Henry Ford..

What sort of a V8 is that you have been driving?????

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #258
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

boss 5.4 here, simple bolt on mods and tuning, no boost to worry about and 11,s

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #259
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
boss 5.4 here, simple bolt on mods and tuning, no boost to worry about and 11,s
The right bolt on mod's really get these things moving hey mate.....................
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 10:01 AM   #260
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

11's Just like that.... Mmmm. Are you sure you don't need to run slicks and front runners, and dump a heap of weight before running 11's...

Bolt on's and tune alone will not get you into the 11's...

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 04-09-2006, 10:17 AM   #261
jmc-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennie
gotta go the 8. nothin is betta than pure cubes.
After driving a few things. In some cases the turbo maybe faster but the I6 will never have that nice rumble of a V8.

Torque is plentiful as well. :voldar02:
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 10:19 AM   #262
AEF_Silver94
Falcon obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon
Heres one more you'd probably like. Its 18MB so you should download it first. Save as is usually the trick

BF XR8

cheers
AEF_Silver94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 12:41 PM   #263
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
11's Just like that.... Mmmm. Are you sure you don't need to run slicks and front runners, and dump a heap of weight before running 11's...

Bolt on's and tune alone will not get you into the 11's...
A heap of weight :

I removed exhaust, tailgate, spare, LHF seat and replaced RHF seat with a padded recaro and fitted a 4 point racing harness, Probably leveled the weight to possibly a sedans weight.
It ran 11.763 like that, based on each 100 lbs gives you approx 1 tenth, It may have run a high 11 with eveything in it still, but I chose to race it like I did so the other would just be speculation.
Fact is it ran 11 unopened, no modified oil pump gears, no vernierr gears to adjust cam timing/phasing, no ,modified cams etc etc totally stock motor with bolt ons and a great tune.

The car was set up to do the 1/4 mile and show what is possible if a car is built properly to do what the owner wishes

Yes I ran front runners and slicks, but don't you use the correct tyre when you race your car?

I took the car home and a few hours work the next day, I'm drivng around totally legal and in complete comfort and style which my pursuit was purchased to do.

Here's a link if you want to refresh your memory :
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=48637

:eclipsee_

Old 04-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #264
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ratter, I race my ute in the exact same spec as I drive it every day. Only once have I change the rims and tyres, which I will do more so in the future as it is cheaper to wear them out and damage those rims then it is to damage my ROH's 3 piece, and the tyres on the ROH's are also dearer the Falken's.. Lap times on either tyre is the same...

I chose to run my ute the way I drive it day to day. I don't have the time, and I am to lazy to spend 1/2 a day pulling all the weight out of it then another 1/2 a day make the car legal again......

I know of the link and I have also seen the footage on XRTurbo.com... You car goes very well..
But what I am saying is you stated "simple bolt on mods and tuning, no boost to worry about and 11,s"......... Which is a long way from the truth or only a 1/2 truth.... If there was a newbie that read your post that own a XR8 and he got all the Bolton's and a tune and ran the car/ute as is, He would not come close to doing a 11 sec pass.....

Oh. My interpetation of a true street car is, it will it pass a road worthy inspection. If not then it's not a true street car or it was not raced as a true street car ...

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 04-09-2006, 02:16 PM   #265
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For you info, my ute has been inspected and passed. It was touch and go regarding my air box, but they deemed it safe and I was sent on my way...

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 04-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #266
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You make out as if my car was some wild drag car, well that's probably the opinion some newbies may get ;)

My car totally full weight except for spare (1820 kg) ran 12.23, after driving to heathcote and changing rear tyres to street radials, I then changed back to my heavy 19" rims and drove home again, a round trip of 395 klms, not including the racing, on the way home I averaged 12.0 ltrs per 100 klms.

Chris then upped the tune to try to get into the 11's, but I decided to take the seats, etc out to save a little weight to assure we got into the 11's. and went racing at calder and went a best of 11.76.

Mission accomplished simple as that

A street car with a few mods and a great team setting it up, bang, 4 passes, 4 x 11 sec time slips

Who knows it may have run an 11 with the seats in etc, who knows, Cams290 has just run an 11 with a little more work than mine so it shows it can be done, Chris ran 11.90 in a 260 with standard camshafts but with altered cam timing so that shows it can be done with a 260 also. We all acheived the 11's on drag tyres because a street radial is compromising these heavy cars with the weights we are racing at.

If you are having trouble beleiving how quick these cars are capable of going with basic mods, maybe you need to change to a complete custom tune from a decent tuner

Legal can be down to testers opinions, has your car been emission tested with the tune you race on, unless it has and has been passed it is not RWC

If someone is interested in racing their car whether it be track or strip, they should set the car up to do the intended duties, otherwise they are kidding themselves and making excuses why it did not do what it is supposed to do, if they are not too lazy to do the work themselves, they can save some money and accomplish more than someone who sits on their ar5e and want everybody else to do the work for them.

Simple fact to the story is My Pursuit ran 11's, is driven everyday, gets good fuel economy, has plenty of power, is mild mannered, but powerful and has never broken down or let me down.

My 11 second record will be beaten and it will be by somebody else who wants to go quick and is prepared to put the work in the acheive the results, how they go about doing it is entirely their own buissness and how streetable their car remains is totally based on what they are prepared to live with.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:22 PM   #267
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You make out as if my car was some wild drag car, well that's probably the opinion some newbies may get ;)

My car totally full weight except for spare (1820 kg) ran 12.23, after driving to heathcote and changing rear tyres to street radials, I then changed back to my heavy 19" rims and drove home again, a round trip of 395 klms, not including the racing, on the way home I averaged 12.0 ltrs per 100 klms.

Chris then upped the tune to try to get into the 11's, but I decided to take the seats, etc out to save a little weight to assure we got into the 11's. and went racing at calder and went a best of 11.76.

A street car with a few mods and a great team setting it up, bang, 4 passes, 4 x 11 sec time slips

Who knows it may have run an 11 with the seats in etc, who knows, Cams290 has just run an 11 with a little more work than mine so it shows it can be done, Chris ran 11.90 in a 260 with standard camshafts but with altered cam timing so that shows it can be done with a 260 also. We all acheived the 11's on drag tyres because a street radial is compromising these heavy cars with the weights we are racing at.

If you are having trouble beleiving how quick these cars are capable of going with basic mods, maybe you need to change to a complete custom tune from a decent tuner

Legal can be down to testers opinions, has your car been emission tested with the tune you race on, unless it has and has been passed it is not RWC

If someone is interested in racing their car whether it be track or strip, they should set the car up to do the intended duties, otherwise they are kidding themselves and making excuses why it did not do what it is supposed to do, if they are not too lazy to do the work themselves, they can save some money and accomplish more than someone who sits on their ar5e and want everybody else to do the work for them.

Simple fact to the story is My Pursuit ran 11's, is driven everyday, gets good fuel economy, has plenty of power, is mild mannered, but powerful and has never broken down or let me down.

My 11 second record will be beaten and it will be by somebody else who wants to go quick and is prepared to put the work in the acheive the results, how they go about doing it is entirely their own buissness and how streetable their car remains is totally based on what they are prepared to live with.
Good work there Ratter, sounds like a neat ute.

Anyways, did I mention I voted for the Turbo 6!
Old 04-09-2006, 04:42 PM   #268
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok it's probably not as simple as a few bolt on's and get those times, but if things are done properly with the correct info, it's not rocket science. It's all about making the car and it components work together. :monkes:

Old 04-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #269
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSF6
Good work there Ratter, sounds like a neat ute.

Anyways, did I mention I voted for the Turbo 6!
Thanks mate, I'm rapt with it :

Old 04-09-2006, 05:05 PM   #270
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Why are you so defensive. Did you not state simple bolton's and a decent tune will get you 11's..... YES or NO

Show me a XR8 or a GT with nothing more then Bolton's and tune and no weight reduction that is doing a 11 sec pass or flat 12's. Then I will shut the hell up......

And bolton's don't extend to the Diff, Stall converter, slicks and runners....

Secondly I am not disputing your time slip or the fact that you car is what it is..... I am disputing that your car was purposely set up to run the 1/4 mile may it be unroadworthy or not, there was a lot more to then simple bolton's and a tune..... Also would your car run a 11.7 in it's street set up that is how you drive it every day. Seat in, sway bar on, hard top and tail gate on and so on............ On MT Et's radials....... Unlikely. And that is what I am getting at.... If it did, then I would be impressed, not saying that time is not impressive, because it is. But there is a lot more to set up a car to run 11's then you previous posted...
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...&postcount=261

11.91 @ 117mph Vid