Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-12-2023, 09:45 PM   #61
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: DFB's Image Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The only AU I like is the LWB cars and the T series - you're on point about that IRS setup, I think it was a massive step backwards going to the control blade style on the B series/FG compared to the double wishbone setup the AU cars have. The Holden setup in my Caprice is a joke, you can crack/break the K frame without even abusing it - they **** the bed with normal driving/use.

The biggest eye opener to me was when I drove a customers AUII Fairlane Ghia across their bumpy paddock, expecting to need go to bras n things for a sports bra fitting prior to driving it off road, I hit all the bumps and it barely upset the car and I smoothly floated over the paddock - it drove about on point with how my E38 7 series did with a very fancy self leveling hydraulic rear suspension setup.
I like them all but I'm biased...blessed with a beauty for the past 21 years..so probably why ..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2023, 09:53 PM   #62
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
All this Falcon stuff makes me think (more) about what we have lost (dont wanna go off topic) some proper gems among all this. Definitely enjoy seeing all this promo stuff.
Falcon in general has to be the greatest car name in our history ..It's unbroken longevity , it's remarkable diversity as a sedan , coupe , station wagon , ute , van , flat tray and the base for limo's even ...definitely for producind a number of most iconic cars not least the XR GT (the first of many ) and the car that all others are compared to , mighty 1971 XY GTHO Phase 3...Over three million built can't be wrong ...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2023, 10:16 PM   #63
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The BA XR Range

One of the key aspects of the BA Falcon was making the XR models more visible and accessible. Up until the BA, Tickford took care of the XR models, teaming with Ford on the engineering and then putting the finishing touches on the cars before being shipped to dealers. With BA, Ford wanted to reach and appeal to a bigger audience, the XR models were very much a big part of those plans. In some cases, this took some of the “specialness” away from the XR’s, especially the entry level XR6 which now shared the standard BA 4.0 engine. However, there were further avenues for those wanting something “special”, more of which I will cover in a future post.

The major focus with the BA Falcon in general was making it aspirational again. I remember reading Geoff Polites being quoted as saying he wanted the Falcon to be the most popular used car in the country, the theory being that if there was strong demand for the car in the used market, it would naturally flow onto new cars as well. While fleet sales were always the bulk of sales, Ford made sure the XR models were highly desirable to private buyers, drawing them into showrooms, and then flowing on to the used market as well. A high focus was put on personalization, with a large choice of colours from mild to wild, choice of wheels, premium brakes, various interior trim configurations joining a long list of options and accessories to entice buyers to custom spec their car. I loved this aspect of the BA Falcon, in some ways going back to the 1970’s era.

We of course all know the biggest drawcard of the BA Falcon was the launch of the new turbocharged version of the DOHC inline 6. It’s this engine that in many ways saved Ford, appealing to a crowd of enthusiasts that were most likely shopping Japanese previous to this. Called the Barra 240T, this engine has become an icon all over the world for its strength, torque delivery, performance, and smoothness. In its initial incarnation, the Barra 240T was choked down to make the old T5 and 4-speed auto gearboxes live, however, even that didn’t necessarily hamper its popularity or desirability.

I think with the Barra Turbo, or Gull as it was codenamed internally, this was the first Falcon 6 to actually have an exhaust note to speak of. It also smoothed out the induction thrash, something that continued until Ford started tuning the intake sound of the naturally aspirated version for BF, and FG in particular.

Having driven every single Falcon engine from the mid 80’s, the turbo Barra is the only one I haven’t had the pleasure of sampling, although I have ridden in one. Again, my old man got me a ride in his employees brand new BA XR6 Turbo Ute 2003. Heavily optioned with a hardtop and spoiler, premium sound, leather and 18-inch wheels, that car looked amazing in Blood Orange, and it went like stink!

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2023, 10:22 PM   #64
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The XR8 on the other hand wasn’t all that well received, buy the press and buyers……………..at least for the sedan as the XR8 Ute remained very popular. The XR8 boasted a 260 kW version of the new DOHC Boss V8 that was hand assembled across the road at FPV. Much has been said about the constrained power band and lack of low-down grunt, it was also a very big and heavy engine. Ford actually had to put shiny tape on the rocker covers so it didn’t scratch up the engine bay as it was married to the body on the Broadmeadows production line. But…………………………it sounded amazing, and for many, that was the crucial element. There is a lovely full, deep and throaty induction note on those Boss engines, accompanied by an exhaust note that was what I call “creamy”.

Now for a little fun, can anyone tell me what’s wrong or different about the following shots?

If I could spec a BA XR right now, it would easily be the XR6 Turbo sedan in Citric Acid, automatic, 18-inch wheels, premium brakes, side airbags, Sports Steering Wheel (the FPV/chunky style item) and the Momo shifter. I’d also do the XR Luxury Pack (that came later in the BA run) which included unique leather and suede seat and door trim and the premium/Fairmont ICC which included dual zone climate control and premium sound. I actually have a price spreadsheet, so this would be the price before on-roads –

BA XR6 Turbo Sedan Auto - $44,885
Prestige Paint - $345
18-inch XR Wheels - $1500
Premium Brakes - $2950
Momo Steering Wheel – $695
Momo Shifter - $215
XR Luxury Pack - $4595
XR Floor Mats - $100
Total Price - $55,285.

Now that price might sound high, then or now, but tell me what car I could buy right now with the same performance and number of seats? Kia Stinger, well maybe, but that thing is nearly dead, and the price went north quickly after launch. Makes you realise how good we had it!

Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2023, 12:33 AM   #65
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was always glad they changed the bonnet bulge, the original looked awkward and like an afterthought. I only ever saw one on the road, an XR8 in Phantom.

I remember when they were released, it seemed like nearly every second XR was Phantom. These days, I never, ever see them, where did they go? Same with Blood Orange, they’ve vanished.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2023, 05:32 AM   #66
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

BA I get using the brilliant blueprint colour but it annoyed me how exclusive the colour was for AU turned into heaps of them on the road onwards.
Yer the buldge needed to be smoothed off and more uniformed the design change looked great !
I liked the BA but the boat anchor turned me off hence opting not buy one.
Great upgrade on body design but interior quality went backwards and the blade suspension - cost cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2023, 05:39 PM   #67
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

BA Falcon Ute

One of the surprises of the AU Falcon era was the popularity of the Ute models, a real shining light and a product so fit for purpose.

Where previous Falcon Utes, well all Ford Utes, had a continuous body panel from the doors to the end of the tub, for the AU Ford created a separate cabin and tub structure. It’s questionable as to whether this is actually a “Ute”, but what it did do was give Ford the flexibility to produce a cab-chassis model without the need for another set of body panels. You may think what the problem with that, well the cost tool up the stamping equipment, then all the body and crash engineering is way more than you would think. Having a dual purpose body would have saved Ford considerable cost and time. It was also a neater execution, just look at the plethora of shut and join lines that Holden resorted to in creating a 1-Tonne Commodore Ute.

The flipside to offering a “Ute” and Cab-Chassis was the loss of the Falcon Van. Much like how the Japanese 1-tonne pickups (note that I don’t call these “Utes”) killed the idea of a Falcon/Commodore Ute, the expansion of dedicated Vans sort of killed the Falcon Van. Not that I’m suggesting either situation is a replacement, I still believe there is a place for a more passenger car based Ute or Pickup, it’s just no car company has the balls to bring them to this country. If there is one shining example of all we have lost without local car manufacturing, it’s the loss of the Ute.

The BA Falcon Ute followed the sedan and wagon range, with the majority of the range arriving in showrooms at the same time. There were some exceptions, the XR6 Turbo and XR8 Utes arrived at the start of 2003, as did the EGAS engine and 3-seater versions of the XL. All models got the sedans front end styling from the A pillar forward, although the windscreen and roof were unchanged compared to the sedan. Because the front quarter panels were pumped out quite a bit more, a plastic trim piece was used to cover up the gap between the carry over sill panels and the new pressings, applicable for all models not fitted with side skirts. You don’t notice this with the sedan or wagon because those had plastic side skirts as standard. The rear styling remained unchanged save for new badges. There was a running change later into the run that integrated the reverse light into the tail lamps, which you can identify by the orange strip within the lamps rather than the red/clear of all previous AU/BA Utes.

The interior was also brought into line with the sedan, with just about everything being new and only minor parts left alone.

Mechanically, the BA Ute used all the new engines from the sedan lineup. Just think about that for a second. A vehicle on sale with a choice of engines and gearboxes, regardless of model grade, to suit the buyers needs. An LPG engine with a manual gearbox, sure. A base model with vinyl floors combined with a V8 engine and manual gearbox, why not. A fire breathing turbocharged inline 6 powerhouse, go for your life. These days, Pickup buyers are basically locked into a diesel 4 cylinder and automatic gearbox, take it or leave it.

In response to the Japanese Pickups gaining traction, Ford made the most of what they had in typically Aussie tradition, launching the RTV in September 2003. This was also when they changed the tail lamps. With raised ride height, bash plates and a diff lock and 1 tonne suspention, the RTV went places a standard Falcon Ute couldn’t. Ford added wheel arch flairs, a unique egg crate grill and alloy wheels to differentiate the RTV from the XL and XLS. The EGAS, Barra 182 and Barra 220 V8 were all available in manual or auto, ABS was standard. I think its telling the RTV commands a healthy premium on the used market to this day.

I actually have the RTV promotional mini-DVD floating around somewhere, probably watched that a million times now. I can't be the only one who grinned from ear to ear when the Barra 220 was being given a boot full climbing that hill and splashing through the mud from the 40-sec mark. That video also runs through the rest of what was on that DVD, colourizer/specs ect.

Mustang GT

Last edited by DFB FGXR6; 11-12-2023 at 05:46 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2023, 05:46 PM   #68
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

BA Ute continued…………………

Note how most of the XLS models shown in this lot have the optional side skirts fitted. These consisted of the XR front/cab portion with a specific version for the tub without the XR’s fluted design. These could be had with or without painted body side protection moldings.

Offered in wild colours, aggressive styling and three powerful engines, the XR models became the working mans sports coupe……………….with a massive boot. The XR6 Turbo was obviously the highlight, the XR8 seemed to be where the sales action was. And why not, it looked and sounded the part. The TV commercials said it all really.

As alluded to in a previous post, there were two bonnet bulge designs for the Boss V8’s. The earlier example with the sharp crease at the leading edge on pre-production and show cars was replaced by a smoother version on production cars. That was a last-minute change, as can be seen in the TV add above, the purple XR8 sporting the original design. I think they did this because of bad aerodynamics on the race cars. For the record, I liked that version better than smoother production item.

Below are some of the options available on BA Falcon Utes………………..

Mustang GT

6 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2023, 10:01 PM   #69
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The launch of Ford Performance Vehicles!

In an attempt to better compete with HSV, in late 2002 Tickford became Ford Performance Vehicles, or FPV. While the Tickford name and their work was well respected, the branding didn’t necessarily provide a solid link to the Ford brand on which the cars were based. While I despise the arrogance of Holden and HSV from that era, I openly admit the red team were second to none for brand building and recognition.

With Geoff Polites and David Flint at the helm, they worked towards a more unified and recognizable link between Ford, FPV performance cars and the FPR race team. While I loved the Tickford Wings, the oval shaped bird of prey logo was instantly identifiable and followed a similar type of logo connection between Holden lion and HSV lion/race helmet.

The conditions needed to be a FPV dealer was also relaxed in an effort to get more dealers on board and hopefully sell more cars. From what my uncle told me, the hoops a dealer had to jump through to gain access to the FTe range was rather difficult, as such many didn’t bother. Again, another reason why the T-Series, Cougar and Mustang never sold in big numbers. It’s telling that under the new structure, my small country town dealer became a FPV dealer. Joining the new dealer network, every FPV buyer got a performance driving course as part of the deal.

The FPV brand was launched at the Sydney Motor Show (remember those?) at the end of 2002. That year, Holden and HSV drew all the attention with two vehicles that went nowhere, the SSX Hatchback and the Monaro based HRT 427. The FPV brand launch went on to preview the return of the Falcon GT and its Ute counterpart, the Pursuit. The FPV GT and Pursuit followed on from the momentum that was built with the T3 T-Series and Pursuit 250, offering balanced package of upgrades that FPV termed “Total Performance”. Brakes, suspension, steering, engine and styling designed to work together without one element overpowering the other. Where a HSV was all about the engine and shouty styling in a blunt instrument kind of way, the FPV offering was a more balanced and technically sophisticated proposition.

Those cars at the Sydney show, and the supplied press shots, depicted the basic FPV concept, lacking some of the finer details that would surface later.

Those changes included a Tri-Slot lower splitter with an accent colour on GT and Pursuit, along with the smoother bonnet bulge. The availability of stripes came at the last minute after the GT Club insisted on their inclusion. The GT-P kept the single blade lower splitter, although in accent colouring. Overall, the FPV exterior package consisted of unique front and rear bumpers, vented side skirts and that massive spoiler on the sedans. The Pursuit carried over the side skirts and rear bumper cladding introduced on the AU III Pursuit 250. Wheels were 18-inch across all three models, and FPV insignia emblems fitted to the front quarter panel and boot lid.

Mechanically, the Boss 290 5.4 V8 powered all three. This engine consisted of the cast iron truck block, topped with DOHC 4V alloy heads and joining a bunch of locally made components such as the intake and exhaust manifolds. The engines were built on a small production line at FPV, building engines for both the FPV range and XR8 models. The Tremec T45 5-speed manual carried over from the T3, the 4-speed auto was specifically upgraded to withstand the additional torque. The standard brakes consisted of blue FPV branded PBR calipers with grooved rotors. Standard on GT-P and optional on GT and Pursuit, the Brembo system with 4-piston calipers all round was carried over from the T3.

The interior featured a number of FPV specific colours and trim finishes, alloy pedals and the much-hated red flashing starter button. The seats were either retrimmed XR items for the GT and Pursuit, the GT-P got some Recaro-style items that were pretty over the top.

On a personal note, my previously mentioned uncle got me a flamethrower ride in a FPV GT shortly after launch. That car was in Blood Orange with black stripes and a manual gearbox. Even after all these years, the most vivid memory of that experience was the delicious noise that Boss 290 made. If I wasn’t already hooked on Ford previous to that moment, the ride in that GT had me positively impaled!

I was also given the FPV promo DVD, featuring brand ambassador and test driver John Bowe.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2023, 10:02 PM   #70
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

BA FPV continued...................

Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2023, 11:54 PM   #71
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Yes please!!
OK I'll try to get round tuit this week.

Those XG and XH utes and pannellys look great when all new and in a brochure. Unironically reckon something like that would sell OK today, especially with the cost of rentals and houses
Old 12-12-2023, 12:00 AM   #72
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day all ...One model that used to be around in the early 1980s and were great looking cars I thought were the S Pack Falcons .. I nearly bought one once .. Don't see them much now . Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the AU's at least also had a model called the SR .. I recall a teacher at the local school had a dark red one ... Can't recall seeing many over the years though..

On Falcon model names ...I still like to see GL , GXL , Futura , Fairmont/ Ghia badges from time to time on the older birds still getting around ..My AU is a Futura ..
Yes Roddy, my MIL had an AU II SR, beautiful and solid car it was. Her Mondeo died on a drive back to the farm from the city, and the town's Ford dealer were so kind as to let her drive home in the new SR
Old 12-12-2023, 12:07 AM   #73
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
banishing the classic Watts Link rear end to history.
I do believe it has returned in the Ranger Raptor. Which is amazingly far ahead of its competitors in 2023. Is time going backwards?
Old 12-12-2023, 08:28 PM   #74
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The BA & BA MK II Fairlane.

The final piece of the BA puzzled, the LWB models, arrived in July 2003. To say these models were half arsed is an understatement. Having spent up big on the BA sedan, while also developing the yet to be released Territory, the Fairlane and LTD were the collateral damage. This would not be the first time the LWB models were less than impressive, but it was certainly the last. In Ford’s defense, the market for the LWB was dwindling, over investing made little sense. I think history will prove that Ford made better use of that money by developing the Territory.

Where the previous AU series LWB was sufficiently differentiated from the rest of the range, the BA Fairlane and LTD was not so lucky. As with the Wagon and Ute, the front and rear windscreens carried over from AU, as did the roof panel. Because of that, the Fairlane didn’t get the glass antenna, rather a roof mounted bee sting item instead. The new sheet metal consisted of standard issue Falcon front quarter panels, headlights, hood and even the bumper. The rear had a new boot lid pressing, quarter panels and bumper teamed with Falcon tail lamps with an added chrome trim piece. To differentiate the front end from the Falcon, there was a chrome grill with horizontal bars (Fairlane) or vertical bars (LTD). The front bumper had a thicker chrome pinstripe, a chrome bonnet badge, and a chrome trim added at the base of the headlights. The side skirts and side protection moldings were from the Wagon. Fairlane and LTD had 16-inch wheels, the G220 had 17-inch multi-spoke items. Add it all together and the BA Fairlane and LTD looked like a stretched Falcon with more chrome.

The interior was the same story. Apart from the stitching design on the seats, the interior of both Fairlane and LTD was virtually identical to the Fairmont and Fairmont Ghia. The newly added G220 at least offered the jazzy “Redline” leather trim.

Mechanically, the LWB cars were adapted to the control blade IRS, the engines offered being were the Barra 182 I6 and Barra 220 V8, all bolted to the 4-speed auto.

Speaking of the G220 in particular, this was Ford’s attempt at drawing a younger buyer to the Fairlane range, offering larger wheels (tyres were the same 225 width though), sports suspension and black bezel head lights. Inside, brushed aluminum replaced the chrome and woodgrain finishes of the Ghia and LTD. The Barra 220 was the only engine offered.

A FPV version never went further than the Galaxy 540 concept/mockup shown at the FPV Open Day. To my eyes, it looked hideous.

Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old 12-12-2023, 08:31 PM   #75
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

In response to slow sales and criticism of it looking too similar to a Falcon, Ford launched the BA MK II Fairlane and LTD in March 2004, predating the BA MK II Falcon by seven months. This small update centered around differentiating the LWB cars from the Falcon without spending too much money.

On outside, Fairlane and LTD got an accent colour on the side skirts and lower bumpers, along with chrome mirror caps. The G220 got new 9-spoke wheels with a fully enveloped centre cap, Fairlane also got the full centre cap. All models got chrome trimmed side protection mouldings, Fairlane and G220 got new badges. There was also a new smooth rather than textured chrome rear applique under the tail lamps/boot.

The interior got a host of trim changes, with glossy “Onyx Black” finishes on the ICC and interior highlights. Gloss chrome replaced brushed aluminium on the door handles and lock snib for Fairlane and LTD, and a new “China Beige” leather colour was available, with it now being ruched on the Fairlane. Seatbacks and door bines were also trimmed in suede, and the FPV-style chunky steering wheel was fitted to all three, with the Fairlane and LTD items trimmed in woodgrain. Eight-way power adjustment was added to the Fairlane and G220 drivers seat. Crucially, and I don’t know how Ford got away without fitting these from the beginning, there were tiny little chrome strips added to the air vent direction changers!

Mechanically, from my record the Fairlane and LTD got the G220’s “Sports Control Blade Rear Suspension”.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2023, 08:48 PM   #76
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
In response to slow sales and criticism of it looking too similar to a Falcon, Ford launched the BA MK II Fairlane and LTD in March 2004, predating the BA MK II Falcon by seven months. This small update centered around differentiating the LWB cars from the Falcon without spending too much money.

On outside, Fairlane and LTD got an accent colour on the side skirts and lower bumpers, along with chrome mirror caps. The G220 got new 9-spoke wheels with a fully enveloped centre cap, Fairlane also got the full centre cap. All models got chrome trimmed side protection mouldings, Fairlane and G220 got new badges. There was also a new smooth rather than textured chrome rear applique under the tail lamps/boot.

The interior got a host of trim changes, with glossy “Onyx Black” finishes on the ICC and interior highlights. Gloss chrome replaced brushed aluminium on the door handles and lock snib for Fairlane and LTD, and a new “China Beige” leather colour was available, with it now being ruched on the Fairlane. Seatbacks and door bines were also trimmed in suede, and the FPV-style chunky steering wheel was fitted to all three, with the Fairlane and LTD items trimmed in woodgrain. Eight-way power adjustment was added to the Fairlane and G220 drivers seat. Crucially, and I don’t know how Ford got away without fitting these from the beginning, there were tiny little chrome strips added to the air vent direction changers!

Mechanically, from my record the Fairlane and LTD got the G220’s “Sports Control Blade Rear Suspension”.

I've always been tempted for a G220/G8 but the Holden LWB offerings are way better, differentiation between the SWB cars, they look way better. The part that appeals is the Barra 220/230

The last good LWB from Ford Australia was the AU I reckon, the BA/BF are real meh - its like a LWB offering from Ali Express.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 12-12-2023 at 08:56 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2023, 09:19 PM   #77
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

weird unless ba fact, when they came out the fog lights had some adr issue on the non XR models, a recal turned them into cornering lamps
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2023, 10:47 PM   #78
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Friend's father had BF Ghia 5.4 (rare), I know we're at BAII... but anyway with 6sp it used to spin at 1100 at 110 on the hwy in top from memory

Impressive
Old 12-12-2023, 10:52 PM   #79
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Friend's father had BF Ghia 5.4 (rare), I know we're at BAII... but anyway with 6sp it used to spin at 1100 at 110 on the hwy in top from memory

Impressive
The Barra 230 with the 6-speed auto used an even taller diff ratio, 2.53 rather than the 2.73 all other engines with that box had.
Mustang GT

Old 13-12-2023, 03:36 AM   #80
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

The Fairlane should have been more distinct to the falcon and maybe offered the XR8 or GT motors in the LTD's, the G220 was a bit of a slug.
I had a BA XLS V8, which got traded on the car in my avatar... a faster and better made car by far.
But the real mistake I made was trading in my chilli red XH11 S 5ltr on that BA :(
Old 13-12-2023, 06:55 AM   #81
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
The Barra 230 with the 6-speed auto used an even taller diff ratio, 2.53 rather than the 2.73 all other engines with that box had.
Given what people are saying it feels like they dulled it off heaps by an obsession to get it spinning slower on the highway.

Makes you wonder if they left it 2.73 or went shorter to 3.08 or something to give it a lot more pep with a slight sacrifice of fuel economy.

There's a lot of people saying these things are turds because how slow they are.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2023, 11:10 AM   #82
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6 View Post
The Fairlane should have been more distinct to the falcon and maybe offered the XR8 or GT motors in the LTD's, the G220 was a bit of a slug.
I had a BA XLS V8, which got traded on the car in my avatar... a faster and better made car by far.
But the real mistake I made was trading in my chilli red XH11 S 5ltr on that BA :(
Nice XH, they're more expensive now but not unobtanium prices yet... there's hope.

Fairlanes with GT/XR8 motors that I know of:

ZC 351 - got XW GT auto driveline.
Fairlane by Tickford - got EL GT auto driveline, slight detune perhaps?
TL50s - don't know much about these, but 200kw, 220kw and the 5.6 Lt think
AUI and AUII LTD got AU1 XR8 185kw motor.

An AU2 LTD with that and the incredible quality light leather and 185Kw motor, I could Grampa in that.
Old 13-12-2023, 06:01 PM   #83
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

There was just 3 TL50 5.6l made FYI
2 were owned by earlier forum members, 1 still has the 1 total legit one in their hands still confirmed with the paperwork.
The other 2 were AU11's.

Damn seeing all this is depressing for us tragics but all ok DFB its great memory lane.
Look at the variety of models and colours and we complained lol.....

Mind you thankfully I still have 2 gems.

Both GM but more so FOA being dictated by USA was up a creek without a paddle, way too late keeping up with market trends ie SUV's all too late.
Terri way too late And folden screwed up thinking people would jump onto re badged Daewoo's.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2023, 06:39 PM   #84
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Given what people are saying it feels like they dulled it off heaps by an obsession to get it spinning slower on the highway.

Makes you wonder if they left it 2.73 or went shorter to 3.08 or something to give it a lot more pep with a slight sacrifice of fuel economy.

There's a lot of people saying these things are turds because how slow they are.
I think the main reason for the taller diff ratios for the Barra 230 was the truncated rev limit of that particular engine. The earlier Barra 220 hit the limiter at 5250 rpm, the 230 was raised to 5500 rpm. (Although, that could have been the "transient" rev limiter that was brough along with the ZF, as other models with that gearbox picked up an effective 250rpm increase. For example, under full throttle, the engine and gearbox would hit 6250 before the next gear arrived on a Barra I6 or Boss engine.) With the much shorter gears of the ZF, it would have been constantly changing gears and wouldn't have made good use of that huge low-end torque. With the 220, that ultra tall gears of the BTR went the other way with the shorter 3.23 ratio working fine.

I love this stuff by the way.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2023, 06:43 PM   #85
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

We/I need the FG release info if you have it. Sorry to pester but id like to see some if you have it!
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2023, 06:46 PM   #86
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
We/I need the FG release info if you have it. Sorry to pester but id like to see some if you have it!
It's on the way, probably later in the week. I have a LOT of images on FG so it will have to be split across multiple posts like the BA. I also have the pre-release images Ford sent out to the press of the cars in camouflage and in the then brand new NVH lab.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2023, 09:53 PM   #87
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey mate, you you happen to have any press release photos from AU Series 1 at all? Falcon and Fairlane/ LTD? Not trying to bug you for them, I’ll just keep an eye out for the post if you do.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2023, 10:10 PM   #88
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Hey mate, you you happen to have any press release photos from AU Series 1 at all? Falcon and Fairlane/ LTD? Not trying to bug you for them, I’ll just keep an eye out for the post if you do.
Post #11 covers AU, AU II and AU III Fairlane and LTD.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...8&postcount=11

AU Series 1 images are in the cue.
Mustang GT

Old 14-12-2023, 11:00 AM   #89
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Best thread yet DFB thankyou!!!

I think also should have mentioned that with the standard BA 6 cyl, they were 182KW standard! This was a huge jump in power at the time and from the AU 6cyl and trumped some of the V8s that were only relatively new at the time. The 2002 BA Futura we had absolutely flew! We had one of the first here in Adelaide and people gave me the thumbs up all the time in it! I think the BA was generally received well across whole of Aus.
It was then later on having experiences in the turbo models and then later again FPV that got me hooked.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2023, 12:48 PM   #90
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

On from my previous post, I feel that the motor shows had a great influence on my decisions a couple of years later to jump into a FPV!! I hate going to car showrooms and to see them there ith all of the other cars was great! In fairness, I remember also seeing the first of the new monaros at the Ade motor show and made me want one of those (and still does) also!