Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2024, 10:25 AM   #31
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Cruiser Dieselgate

What’s a catalytic converter do
Community transport I work has 12 Hiace buses
Parked in three locations
One secure
One not
Thieves ripped off a couple of the cc s
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2024, 11:27 AM   #32
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
What’s a catalytic converter do
Community transport I work has 12 Hiace buses
Parked in three locations
One secure
One not
Thieves ripped off a couple of the cc s
What do they do… gives a crack head another round on the pipe.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2024, 11:29 AM   #33
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about a sensible reply
And not a Cannons Creek answer
It off to the Pilbara penal colony for you very soon
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2024, 11:49 AM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Catalytic converter converts the nasties that come out the exhaust into less nasties when they go through it, uses shit like expensive metals to do it - they get poisoned/killed if your car runs too rich because of problems.

Been mandatory on unleaded engines since the mid 1980s, around the time leaded fuel got the *** on all new cars at the time.

If we had mandatory yearly emissions tests in VIC I reckon 90% of the shitboxes on our roads would fail, including all of mine

I think with diesel engines, particularly heavy commercial vehicles they had no emissions regulations until 2002 in Australia, thats why we hung onto mechanically injected diesels for so long in trucks, they eventually started getting phased out because competitors starting switching to electronically controlled engines to get one up over on each other in the mid 1990s, or late 80s in some cases.

My ACCO being 1998 model is one of the last mechanically injected diesels before International switched to the ISC variation of the engine which has electronic injection.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2024, 12:06 PM   #35
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Catalytic converter converts the nasties that come out the exhaust into less nasties when they go through it, uses shit like expensive metals to do it - they get poisoned/killed if your car runs too rich because of problems.

If we had mandatory yearly emissions tests in VIC I reckon 90% of the shitboxes on our roads would fail, including all of mine

Been mandatory on unleaded engines since the mid 1980s, around the time leaded fuel got the *** on all new cars at the time.
And I would say they might be sort of effective at idle and maybe putting around town, but at 100 down the freeway they cant get it all, its like when they had the air pumps on petrol motors, the emissions the motor emits were still the same, they just diluted it with clean air into the exhaust to reduce what it read at the tail pipe, what a joke that was, just like saying here we have 4 litres of sulfuric acid, we will dilute it with 100 litres of water now it should be safe to drink?, its still sulfuric acid.

Ok the cat will give it a second burn, but will it burn it all when you are at full tilt, that I very much doubt, what comes out the tailpipe still contains the nasties, at a lower level than if they don't have a cat, sure, but it has not eliminated what a engine produces, as we still get some nasties out the tailpipe.

Then the DPF burn, what crap is it spewing out when it does this, the way I see it the engine runs, the DPF collects the nasties, then you do a DPF burn down the track and it dumps all the nasties you have collected, you cant say that these are efficient and really don't let any of the nasties spew out?, sure they might be fine when the vehicle is new, but I doubt it after a few years.

Just look at California where you have to have your vehicle smog tested, you wont see too many older cars on the road there.

Last edited by prktkljokr; 04-02-2024 at 12:16 PM.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2024, 02:06 PM   #36
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
And I would say they might be sort of effective at idle and maybe putting around town, but at 100 down the freeway they cant get it all, its like when they had the air pumps on petrol motors, the emissions the motor emits were still the same, they just diluted it with clean air into the exhaust to reduce what it read at the tail pipe, what a joke that was, just like saying here we have 4 litres of sulfuric acid, we will dilute it with 100 litres of water now it should be safe to drink?, its still sulfuric acid.

Ok the cat will give it a second burn, but will it burn it all when you are at full tilt, that I very much doubt, what comes out the tailpipe still contains the nasties, at a lower level than if they don't have a cat, sure, but it has not eliminated what a engine produces, as we still get some nasties out the tailpipe.

Then the DPF burn, what crap is it spewing out when it does this, the way I see it the engine runs, the DPF collects the nasties, then you do a DPF burn down the track and it dumps all the nasties you have collected, you cant say that these are efficient and really don't let any of the nasties spew out?, sure they might be fine when the vehicle is new, but I doubt it after a few years.

Just look at California where you have to have your vehicle smog tested, you wont see too many older cars on the road there.
The big issue with DPF is a lot of the Toyotas just tootle around the suburbs and never really
get enough temperature in the system to permit DPF burn off. They need to run on the highway
and do that black sooty thing you’ve seen otherwise it gums up the works and ends up
costing owners a lot more to fix. I hate thes modern diesels with a passion, they took
a simple idea and made it so complicated that now it’s becoming just an expensive
problem waiting to happen sometime in the future.

The diesel cat converter is there for the urea adblue to reduce NOX, it does nothing for the diesel particles.
In contrast, petrol cat converters look after all three HC, CO and NOX, while any particle filters
if fitted are way cheaper to periodically change than anything on a diesel…
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-02-2024, 06:34 PM   #37
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I thought all post 2018 Toyota diesels come with a manual DPF burn switch to prevent the issues they had with 2015-2018 vehicles subject to stop start or inner suburban driving?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2024, 09:34 PM   #38
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mostly, except for the flog Greens voters in Melbourne, nothing offends them more than your choice of vehicle

They're currently in a full scale war on American utes, news articles hitting the mainstream media every 2 seconds drumming up Greens voter outrage about how dare people own such preposterous vehicles, and they're trying to take them from their owners cold, dead hands.

You know how WA wants to become its own country? How about we make Melbourne its own country instead and kick it out of the federation
Oh know the WA feelings well...

It's almost as if Melbourne needs something tangible around it, a wall perhaps, of something strong, like steel. A wall of steel. And not for any virus, either.

Here's the latest, can't even work out the motivation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR65U0Z--OU
Old 04-02-2024, 09:36 PM   #39
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The other thing about the Toyota reporting, is that they have idled factories while investigating. How long will the waiting list on a new Cruiser get now?
Old 04-02-2024, 09:53 PM   #40
Hulsty

Quote:
Believe me the 4.5L 1VD-FTV is a right turd, you don't want it
1HDFTE For Life
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2024, 09:57 PM   #41
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Official Toyota press release with list of affected models:

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/co.../40376368.html
Old 04-02-2024, 11:32 PM   #42
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsty View Post
1HDFTE For Life
Is that the naturally aspirated one that takes about 30 seconds to reach 80 km/h...and will only go any faster downhill with a tailwind?
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2024, 11:35 PM   #43
ToryMikey

Quote:
Mostly, except for the flog Greens voters in Melbourne, nothing offends them more than your choice of vehicle

They're currently in a full scale war on American utes, news articles hitting the mainstream media every 2 seconds drumming up Greens voter outrage about how dare people own such preposterous vehicles, and they're trying to take them from their owners cold, dead hands.

You know how WA wants to become its own country? How about we make Melbourne its own country instead and kick it out of the federation
Cruising Reddit again I see...

Enjoy those downvotes
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2024, 10:33 PM   #44
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...-waits-unclear

Cutting production now.

Mazda gotta be enjoying that, as they have stock.