Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2022, 09:03 PM   #1
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default New Gen Ranger Single Cab

I have been vocal about my displeasure with Ford regarding their stance on single cab Rangers for a long time now.

I fully realize that Ford want to concentrate on more profitable dual cab models, but there is still a healthy market for single cab utes. The Ranger has been the class leader for more than a decade now, I think maintaining a presence in the single cab segment is important for the brand and giving customers access to the best ute on the market no matter what number of doors are required.

You only need to look at the sales numbers for the Hilux every month to see that buyers still want single cabs. In terms of load capacity, a dual cab just cannot compete. Personally, I would love a V6 Wildtrack or Raptor, but they are not practical for my needs.

A few months ago, I email Ford customer relations and asked if Ford were planning on selling a single cab for the new generation. I needed to ask this question because, despite Ford releasing price and spec for single cab Rangers, their website does not include them in the Build & Price section.

https://www.ford.com.au/buy/build-an...angerAUS202200

The response from Ford took a month -

"Good Morning,

Thank you for your previous email enquiry. I have investigated whether there will be any single cab Next-Gen Rangers. Unfortunately at this time there is no indication there will be any available to the Australian market.

Your next best option would be to contact your local Ford selling dealer and see if they have any further information.

Kind regards.........."

When I went to my local dealer to order the new Mustang, I enquired about the single cab and to my surprise, they told me they actually have some out the back, contradicting Ford's response.

I also just found this on Carsales -

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...21228652/?Cr=3

That would probably be my spec too; Single Cab Chassis, 2.0 Bi-Turbo with 4X4. I don't need 4x4 but I want the Bi-Turbo and 10 speed auto. I would then add a custom-made steel tray with toolboxes to match my current setup.

But check out the price! $55,950, before custom tray. I paid just on $30,000 for my current setup, at the time that seemed pricey for what it is. But $56K for a povo spec single cab ute with rubber floors is borderline insanity. In theory, I could ditch the 4x4/Bi-Turbo combination, but the price would still be $50K.

I guess I will be holding onto my current workhorse for a little longer.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2022, 09:24 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: New Gen Ranger Single Cab

This shows you why they only sell like 200x 4x2 Rangers a month, they're not overly interested in this segment.

Feels like they're deliberately leaving market share to Toyota and are happy with the success of the 4x4 models.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2022, 09:46 PM   #3
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

But check out the price! $55,950, before custom tray.
They're bending you OVER with that Price. !!!

Our Oldest Son just Bought a New Hilux 4x4 Single cab with Custom Steel tray & few other Bits... $48,190 Drive away..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2022, 10:41 PM   #4
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

At those prices you can see the pattern..
We had single cabs.. but nobody brought them so we are dropping them ....
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2022, 09:56 AM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
This shows you why they only sell like 200x 4x2 Rangers a month, they're not overly interested in this segment.

Feels like they're deliberately leaving market share to Toyota and are happy with the success of the 4x4 models.
The irony here is that Toyota could be unnecessarily splitting its own sales,
If it didn’t offer a cheapy 4x2, maybe 75% of those buyers would still buy
a higher priced Hilux….we’ll never know unless Toyota changes.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2022, 10:54 AM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I have been vocal about my displeasure with Ford regarding their stance on single cab Rangers for a long time now.

I fully realize that Ford want to concentrate on more profitable dual cab models, but there is still a healthy market for single cab utes. The Ranger has been the class leader for more than a decade now, I think maintaining a presence in the single cab segment is important for the brand and giving customers access to the best ute on the market no matter what number of doors are required.

You only need to look at the sales numbers for the Hilux every month to see that buyers still want single cabs. In terms of load capacity, a dual cab just cannot compete. Personally, I would love a V6 Wildtrack or Raptor, but they are not practical for my needs.

A few months ago, I email Ford customer relations and asked if Ford were planning on selling a single cab for the new generation. I needed to ask this question because, despite Ford releasing price and spec for single cab Rangers, their website does not include them in the Build & Price section.

https://www.ford.com.au/buy/build-an...angerAUS202200

The response from Ford took a month -

"Good Morning,

Thank you for your previous email enquiry. I have investigated whether there will be any single cab Next-Gen Rangers. Unfortunately at this time there is no indication there will be any available to the Australian market.

Your next best option would be to contact your local Ford selling dealer and see if they have any further information.

Kind regards.........."

When I went to my local dealer to order the new Mustang, I enquired about the single cab and to my surprise, they told me they actually have some out the back, contradicting Ford's response.

I also just found this on Carsales -

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...21228652/?Cr=3

That would probably be my spec too; Single Cab Chassis, 2.0 Bi-Turbo with 4X4. I don't need 4x4 but I want the Bi-Turbo and 10 speed auto. I would then add a custom-made steel tray with toolboxes to match my current setup.

But check out the price! $55,950, before custom tray. I paid just on $30,000 for my current setup, at the time that seemed pricey for what it is. But $56K for a povo spec single cab ute with rubber floors is borderline insanity. In theory, I could ditch the 4x4/Bi-Turbo combination, but the price would still be $50K.

I guess I will be holding onto my current workhorse for a little longer.
Ford website is strange indeed in not showing the single cabs in the build section but does mention the single cab in their Ranger specs brochure.
I would think your local dealer would know more since they are the ones who sells these utes.

https://www.ford.com.au/content/dam/...ll-version.pdf
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2022, 11:57 AM   #7
.:4:.
Kicking back

50k + for a work ute is rediculous. Unless you need it, as in as in wet dirt roads etc, no need for 4x4. Really all you need for a work ute is bluetooth for work calls, a radio, ac and safety stuff like abs and airbags.
I had a 2013 px xl single cab as a work car and it was fit for purpose. Get in filthy and it was easy to clean. That gor replaced by a 2019 triton. The triton was more expensive mainly because it was a diesil auto and had a nice caddy service body on it. But same same, easy to keep the interior clean and everything you need inside, nothing you dont. The service body was something arount 6 or 7k, but the thing was still only 36 or 37k new. Bar its butt ugly front end, i didnt mind the triton.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2022, 04:30 PM   #8
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

ford should do a 4x4 single cab chassis v6, that would be a farmers dream and take many land cruiser ute sales
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2022, 07:00 PM   #9
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
ford should do a 4x4 single cab chassis v6, that would be a farmers dream and take many land cruiser ute sales
I PLEADED with Ford to make me one of those. I can't be the only one who would buy one. Take a look at the waiting list for those V8 70 Series that Toyota is cashing in on.

I have a very specific use case for my ute, I need the load space of the single cab, and I want easy to clean vinyl floors. I don't need carpet and leather and big wheels. I do however like power, but sadly no ute manufacturer bothers offering the big engine with the base model.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2022, 07:04 PM   #10
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyota will sell you a single cab cruiser with a V8 engine
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2022, 07:08 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I PLEADED with Ford to make me one of those. I can't be the only one who would buy one. Take a look at the waiting list for those V8 70 Series that Toyota is cashing in on.

I have a very specific use case for my ute, I need the load space of the single cab, and I want easy to clean vinyl floors. I don't need carpet and leather and big wheels. I do however like power, but sadly no ute manufacturer bothers offering the big engine with the base model.
You're basically the Chevrolet 454SS and Gen 1 SVT F150 Lightning buyer of the early to mid 1990s - single cab ute with something decent (for the time) under the bonnet.

Wonder if anyone would consider making such a thing, basically a single cab Raptor but more 'street' focused.

Who remembers the XR6 Turbo ute
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2022, 07:12 PM   #12
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Toyota will sell you a single cab cruiser with a V8 engine
Couldn't buy one right now if I tried, they have stopped taking orders due to the backlog.

And I don't want a vehicle that is a 40 year old design and all the drawbacks that come from a model updated to the bare minimum over that time.

The Ranger is the class benchmark and will get my money eventually, but I just wish Ford would put some effort into the rest of the range outside of useless dual cabs.
Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old 05-11-2022, 07:16 PM   #13
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Couldn't buy one right now if I tried, they have stopped taking orders due to the backlog.

And I don't want a vehicle that is a 40 year old design and all the drawbacks that come from a model updated to the bare minimum over that time.

The Ranger is the class benchmark and will get my money eventually, but I just wish Ford would put some effort into the rest of the range outside of useless dual cabs.
i’m not really a fan of the old landcruiser design either.but there is a reason why they still stick to the same old.If it aint broke don’t fix it
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2022, 07:21 PM   #14
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
You're basically the Chevrolet 454SS and Gen 1 SVT F150 Lightning buyer of the early to mid 1990s - single cab ute with something decent (for the time) under the bonnet.

Wonder if anyone would consider making such a thing, basically a single cab Raptor but more 'street' focused.

Who remembers the XR6 Turbo ute
And if I lived in the USA, there would be this as an option -

https://shop.ford.com/configure/f150...ader-trucks-bp

This is the base model F-150 XL Single Cab complete with vinyl floors and seats. Oh, and a 5.0 Coyote V8! I chose Race Red of course, and some optional alloy wheels and side steps. Grand sum of $38,470 USD. We get so screwed in this country.
Mustang GT

6 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2022, 07:33 PM   #15
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
i’m not really a fan of the old landcruiser design either.but there is a reason why they still stick to the same old.If it aint broke don’t fix it
I can understand that mentality, but let's be real here, those 70 Series are just a pi.s take.

For the price they ask for them, they should be perfection. A 4.5-liter V8 with all of 140 kW and a 5-speed manual is pathetic. A chassis that is borderline dangerous and an interior out of 1987 make it very hard to believe that this is $75,000+ vehicle. If the Chinese released something like this, they would be ridiculed. But Toyota do it and it's called "rugged reliability".

Sorry, having a rant here.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2022, 07:41 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

https://shop.ford.com/configure/f150...ader-trucks-bp

This is the base model F-150 XL Single Cab complete with vinyl floors and seats. Oh, and a 5.0 Coyote V8! I chose Race Red of course, and some optional alloy wheels and side steps. Grand sum of $38,470 USD. We get so screwed in this country.
Single cab, big tub, nice chunky tyres, basic and the 5L V8 under the hood - perfect.

Imagine the same thing but Ranger with 10sp auto and Ecoboost V6.

Then the 'F6' version can be the same thing with different (bigger) turbos or higher state of tune but with big alloys, Michelin Pilot Sport 5 tyres, lowered, Bilstein or Shockworks suspension, leather interior, fancy stereo
3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2022, 07:44 PM   #17
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

For context, this is what I do with my Ranger.........

Down on the bump stops with a load of stone -

You can't do any of that in a dual cab! It's also why I would like the more powerful engine, just to make things easier when full up.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2022, 07:45 PM   #18
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Single cab, big tub, nice chunky tyres, basic and the 5L V8 under the hood - perfect.

Imagine the same thing but Ranger with 10sp auto and Ecoboost V6.

Then the 'F6' version can be the same thing with different (bigger) turbos or higher state of tune but with big alloys, Michelin Pilot Sport 5 tyres, lowered, Bilstein or Shockworks suspension, leather interior, fancy stereo
I'll take one of each!
Mustang GT

Old 05-11-2022, 07:45 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
For context, this is what I do with my Ranger.........

Down on the bump stops with a load of stone -

You can't do any of that in a dual cab! It's also why I would like the more powerful engine, just to make things easier when full up.
Someone who actually uses their ute as a ute - I feel like we should keep you in a glass dome and then charge admission fees to watch you work with your ute

Melbourne Museum artifact!

You could even use it as a family car, just put baby seats in the tray
3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2022, 07:54 PM   #20
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Someone who actually uses their ute as a ute - I feel like we should keep you in a glass dome and then charge admission fees to watch you work with your ute

Melbourne Museum artifact!

You could even use it as a family car, just put baby seats in the tray
Closest I will get to a "baby"..........he loves going for a drive.

Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2022, 08:09 PM   #21
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Now if you could get something like Supercab with an 8 foot bed, doggie could sit in the back…
Old 05-11-2022, 08:11 PM   #22
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Now if you could get something like Supercab with an 8 foot bed, doggie could sit in the back…
Me and doggie are happier when we sit next to one another.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2022, 08:16 PM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Me and doggie are happier when we sit next to one another.
I can imagine, I’ve had the odd surprise lick behind the ear from the back seat…..
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2022, 08:24 PM   #24
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What happened to the saying build it and they will come?

Another thing is like why can't you get the Wide Track Interior / Features in a Single Cab for example also.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2022, 08:35 PM   #25
hayseed

Quote:

That We Do..!!

I've have one Too..!!
Only I'd get a Cab Chassis & get a tray Built the Way I want..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2022, 08:41 PM   #26
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
What happened to the saying build it and they will come?

Another thing is like why can't you get the Wide Track Interior / Features in a Single Cab for example also.
Because apparently no one wants that.

If I could, this would be my spec if I could custom order -

-XL Single Cab Chassis (I like vinyl floors, very practice for a muddy gardener)
-Low Rider
-V6 Diesel
-10 Speed Auto
-4x2
-Race Red
-Premium Audio

Now, I know this is probably not commercially viable for Ford, but I'm allowed to dream. That spec would suit my needs and give me a powertrain to deal with everything I could throw at it. I also don't need the high-ride suspension that is now standard on all Rangers, it's easier to load up and work from.
Mustang GT

Old 05-11-2022, 08:51 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Because apparently no one wants that.

If I could, this would be my spec if I could custom order -

-XL Single Cab Chassis (I like vinyl floors, very practice for a muddy gardener)
-Low Rider
-V6 Diesel
-10 Speed Auto
-4x2
-Race Red
-Premium Audio

Now, I know this is probably not commercially viable for Ford, but I'm allowed to dream. That spec would suit my needs and give me a powertrain to deal with everything I could throw at it. I also don't need the high-ride suspension that is now standard on all Rangers, it's easier to load up and work from.
The thing is does it even cost offering it as an option? They have all the components that would go into making that, they already make a single cab Ranger, they have the engine and the gearbox, they've got the paint, they have the premium audio.

Sure don't build them and have them sitting around dealerships but I don't see why they couldn't let you option up the configuration you wanted, maybe attach a premium price to it for a 'custom order' and then you wait for it to be built.

They have a standard range, if you want to customise outside of the standard range than +$7500 or something.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:01 PM   #28
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
The thing is does it even cost offering it as an option? They have all the components that would go into making that, they already make a single cab Ranger, they have the engine and the gearbox, they've got the paint, they have the premium audio.

Sure don't build them and have them sitting around dealerships but I don't see why they couldn't let you option up the configuration you wanted, maybe attach a premium price to it for a 'custom order' and then you wait for it to be built.

They have a standard range, if you want to customise outside of the standard range than +$7500 or something.
Ford, like many other car companies have been reducing the amount of variants and induvial options to reduce complexity on the line and the amount of inventory required, both during manufacture and in the spare parts arena. I would also imagine Ford would need to engineer a separate DSC calibration for a V6 single cab, development money they would struggle to justify.

I would absolutely pay a premium to get the exact spec I wanted.

In my earlier posts, I complained about the price of the spec Ford actually do offer. That price grates on me when it ends up not being exactly what I want. I would happily pay that $55,000 for custom order.

At the end of the day, Ford are following the path to volume sales, I get that. But if they don't try, go out on a limb, then how will they know?
Mustang GT

Old 05-11-2022, 09:08 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Ford, like many other car companies have been reducing the amount of variants and induvial options to reduce complexity on the line and the amount of inventory required, both during manufacture and in the spare parts arena. I would also imagine Ford would need to engineer a separate DSC calibration for a V6 single cab, development money they would struggle to justify.

I would absolutely pay a premium to get the exact spec I wanted.

In my earlier posts, I complained about the price of the spec Ford actually do offer. That price grates on me when it ends up not being exactly what I want. I would happily pay that $55,000 for custom order.

At the end of the day, Ford are following the path to volume sales, I get that. But if they don't try, go out on a limb, then how will they know?
I can understand that - but is it really reducing the amount of inventory/complexity required when you have everything anyway because you offer all those things in part of your standard range? You're literally using the same engines, chassis, body, gearbox, wiring looms that you already have anyway.

Can understand the DSC calibrations but at the end of the day, whats the budget on this Ranger variation? Its being sold in 180+ markets and is a global vehicle, you won't be the only customer in the world who wants a single cab with some balls.

What I'm curious about is what variations do they offer in different markets that we don't get in Australia?

USDM PX Ranger got rear discs and 2.3L Ecoboost - so they obviously could make it AND had all the inventory on hand, they just chose not to offer it here - why not offer it as an option?
2 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2022, 11:50 AM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Obviously production is now swamped trying to build customer orders for all the high series
readily available models. While Thailand and South Africa currently don’t build 2.3 EB in
anything (China), it is the hope of many here that Ford try to flesh out Ranger sales as
much as possible and take that next step to higher volume Australian sales.

No one is asking for a low dollar tradie Ute but single cabs that approximate the old
SC Falcon/Commodore Utes might be a valuable side line with say either the 2.3 EB
or even 2.7/3.0 EB option as an new XR4/XR6 turbo…..couldn’t hurt.