Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 16-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
guscorty

Default Air filter or not

Hi Everyone,
Sorry for the long winded intro. My car is running a carby only. No turbo, injection or gas. I've been told by not running an air filter you can run up to 2 tenths quicker. The car runs mid 12's and is not a big horsepower car.At the last meeting, I got their late and in the rush to go into qualifying i took off the air filter and left the rubber ring on the carby. (If they had idiot of the day award I would have won hands down). In the burnout, the carby sucked the ring in and jammed the butter flies open and couldn't stop the engine revving. Lucky this didn't happen when I was going over the line. The next run, when I was waiting to stage, the car in front pulled a massive burn out and after that run when I got back to the pits, I was pulling smalls balls of rubber off the front of my bonnet. I only wonder how many balls of rubber went into the bonnet scoop and sucked down the carby. The car has a K & N filter. The question is, for a car like mine, is there really a difference in running no filter and even if there is is it worthwhile?
Cheers Guys.

guscorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Air filter or not

I'd run the filter, I do with mine. I'd rather have the piece of mind that I'm keeping the junk out than picking up 2/tenths, which I doubt. I had my car on a chassis dyno to see if my fuel pump was keeping up, we did a comparison with and without filter, K&N extreme top, there was only 1HP difference.
Old 16-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
rednose
RNS10S

I highly doubt there would be 2/10ths in it, maybe on a 16 sec car but surely not on a mid 12 second car.

For peace of mind keep the filter on, a good "CLEAN" filter should not affect performance.
PTE6235 - 11.0 @ 135 on Nitto Invos - 10.4 @ 140 on ET Radials
rednose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
u2canb12
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising cruises and keeping the events in the spirit of the forums 

2 tenths would be a nice pickup if were true, there was only 4hp difference between filter on and filter off when I dynoed on Zoron's chassis dyno so for piece of mind I leave mine on.
u2canb12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
jcxr
Tribal Elder

My car actually slowed down without the air filter. Yes, also a mid 12 car.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
guscorty

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think definately run the filter. When I was at that last meetting another fellow who was running a car similar to mine said the same as JG33RD, that when he had his car on the dyno there was no difference in hp with or without the filter, using the K & N, and even with a cheapy filter he only lost 5hp.
Thanks again.
guscorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
347xt

My car seem to go quicker with the air filter on then off try it and see what it dose
347xt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #8
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

A good filter you will lose nothing. I have seen some Dyno testing gain power with filter on as mentioned above. K+N have a calculator to work out filter size required which works as a good guide. Of course the best K+N if it's too small is no good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gregaust is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post