Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Default Another Speeding Fine question

This morning received a speeding fine in the post.
It was a surprise as did not know it at the time.
Supposedly 111km/h in 100 zone.
Photo is of the rear number plate.
Interestingly, there are other cars in the photo.
As I was on the freeway and had my wife and kid in the car, I know I had the cruise control on.
Could the other cars in the photo have been speeding instead and can I argue the fine on this basis?
Cheers.

2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Default Re: Another Speeding Fine question

If you think you have good reason to fight the fine id go for it Joe.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Don't they have those new fancy pants cameras that can tell which car is speeding and which isnt? Usually the photo highlights the car

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

You will get nowhere arguing that other cars are present in the photo.
A mate of mine tried to fight it on that basis and was shot down by the judge as soon as he started speaking. They also cropped the photo they supplied for evidence. Case was over in seconds.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Is it worth the cost of missing work and stuffing around in court? You will have to lawyer up too. If you want to even remotely have a chance of winning the case.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would say it would depend on the type of camera.If it was one roadside camera I'd fight it,if it was a gantry with a camera for each lane you might struggle.
If you have a good driving record,you could always write and ask for a warning instead.
Old 25-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
Buttnekid
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do some research - there are clear guidelines as to what area of the original photograph generated by the speed camera needs to contain your registration plate. If your plate is outside this area, it falls outside the OEM's guidelines for evidentiary accuracy and should be thrown out.

This is why sometimes when you have been flashed you do not receive a fine, because these non-conforming pictures are meant to be removed so a fine is not issued using them.
Buttnekid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttnekid View Post
do some research - there are clear guidelines as to what area of the original photograph generated by the speed camera needs to contain your registration plate. If your plate is outside this area, it falls outside the OEM's guidelines for evidentiary accuracy and should be thrown out.
Ok, cool... can you point me in the direction of these guidelines please?
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 25-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #9
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs View Post
I would say it would depend on the type of camera.If it was one roadside camera I'd fight it,if it was a gantry with a camera for each lane you might struggle.
If you have a good driving record,you could always write and ask for a warning instead.
The old letter trick only works for 10ks or less over the limit and if you had a clean driving record for 3 years...
Sorry, that's for Vic.. Not WA
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #10
zilo
BANNED

Just go to court and say the same thing you posted here.

"Your honour I recall the event clearly, after passing the camera and seeing the flash i looked down at the speedometer of my car and it said exactly 100km/h.
Alongside me other cars were travelling at the same constant speed.
The conditions were dry and visibility was excellent"

And...if you have as much hatred for traffic operations group cops as I do you would have produced your in car camera footage with speed and time/date stamp as I do.

What's that you say? You haven't got one yet?
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
This morning received a speeding fine in the post.
It was a surprise as did not know it at the time.
Supposedly 111km/h in 100 zone.
Photo is of the rear number plate.
Interestingly, there are other cars in the photo.
As I was on the freeway and had my wife and kid in the car, I know I had the cruise control on.
Could the other cars in the photo have been speeding instead and can I argue the fine on this basis?
Cheers.
You're guilty. Pay up. Simple as that.
They will wheel out endless excuses as to why you're the guilty one. By the way...is yours the only car in the picture with a clearly identifiable number plate? Just curious...because my last camera fine had two cars in it and the other one in the image had an obscured plate by center island vegetation...but you could read ours...and we got the fine even though there is literally no damn way we would have been speeding at that spot. It was near the tourist center as you enter Rockhampton...and anyone who knows the area will know that spot...the cops almost should have a dedicated reserved parking spot for the camera van, it's set up there so often. Every local knows it's there on most days and watches out for it.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #12
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the camera in my iPhone can tell how many faces are in the pic, then don't you think, an expensive traffic cam would have the technology to tell which numberplate/car is the speeding one?

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 26-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #13
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

I don't mean to be negative, but like it or lump it, your just going to have to pay up.

Why? How many people in your state alone have had this same predicament? Now look at Australia. How many people have taken this exact scenario to court and won? None as far as I'm aware. And there is a very good reason for that. And you can call this a conspiracy theory, it's not really, it's fact and we see it all the time in the legal world.

Winning such a case would set a precedent and that's dangerous, because it calls into question every speeding fine ever issued. And that opens the floodgates for this. Every man and his dog would claim that, and the precedent has been set to dimiss. So they would have to do it!

Mate if you have the financial backing (a fair chunk of cash or assess you could liquidate) then go for it, you'd need to be lawyered to the gunnels, and prepared to take it to the high court of Australia, (which in the early 2000's cost $50,000 a day). If not you'll just have to pay it. Too bad, so sad. And unfortunately that's what they prey on....
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #14
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is why I save my dashcam footage every time a car over takes me near a camera. Happened just a few days ago.
I have never received a fine, but I'd rather have the footage, just in case. Of course they will try to say it was still me, but a guess a video is better than just my word against theirs.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
The old letter trick only works for 10ks or less over the limit and if you had a clean driving record for 3 years...
I got one of my ex workmates out of a speeding fine by doing the sob story letter for him, and he was 11km/h over.

Cheap **** wouldn't even buy me a can of coke for getting him out of $250 odd either.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2014, 01:02 AM   #16
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
If the camera in my iPhone can tell how many faces are in the pic, then don't you think, an expensive traffic cam would have the technology to tell which numberplate/car is the speeding one?
With a laser detector carefully aimed at a particular car? Yes.
However, using radar, it's a spreading beam. I work with several ex cops who all say that with a radar detector if there are two cars close to each other all the speed reading does is skip around as it can't differentiate that finely...it's a spreading beam of waves that can't target one particular vehicle. Oh yes yes I know police say they "understand better how the radar system works" and are fining people with more than one car in the picture...but that's only because they were throwing out too many pictures from speed cameras which had more than one car in the shot.

"The Great Road Safety Lie" continues unabated...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2014, 01:14 AM   #17
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Fight it Joe,stick it right up the governments ****.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2014, 02:25 AM   #18
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

The photo clearly shows the rear of two vehicles... And mine isn't even the one in the centre of the photo, however they've figured I was the one speeding... Go figure...?
I might try to post the photo, it I can scan it clear enough, for further opinions.

Seriously though, I don't disagree with majority of what has been posted; will just end up paying it move on. Who has the time or money to fight it , if my chances are close to zilch.
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 27-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #19
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
I don't mean to be negative, but like it or lump it, your just going to have to pay up.
Actually,you don't.
They have to prove you were doing what is alleged,not the other way around.
Most people just bend over and cop the fine because it's "too hard" to defend it,and that's what the police and government rely on.A camera is a machine,therefore it can be wrong.Look how many drivers have been refunded in the past after cameras were found to be faulty.Those discoveries only happened after people who didn't think it was "too hard" to object did so.
Old 29-11-2014, 04:37 AM   #20
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs View Post
Actually,you don't.
They have to prove you were doing what is alleged,not the other way around.
Most people just bend over and cop the fine because it's "too hard" to defend it,and that's what the police and government rely on.A camera is a machine,therefore it can be wrong.Look how many drivers have been refunded in the past after cameras were found to be faulty.Those discoveries only happened after people who didn't think it was "too hard" to object did so.
Every camera has "alleged speed". So on that basis every fine is cannot be proven. The photo is the proof.

They simply ask two questions.

Is that your vehicle?

We're you driving?

Answer yes to them, and your done like a dinner.

While your notion of them having to "prove" rather than than simply "allege" is how it should work. It isn't how it actually works...... And unless there is a problem with the camera, then you have less than a snowballs chance.
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Old 29-11-2014, 06:34 AM   #21
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get out of speeding tickets by not speeding...
mex351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #22
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Over the last week it has been said that in New Zealand the police and speed cameras will now start giving you fines for doing ANYTHING over the speed limit. So you could be fined for doing 51 in a 50 zone once the changes are introduced.
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #23
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
Every camera has "alleged speed". So on that basis every fine is cannot be proven. The photo is the proof.

They simply ask two questions.

Is that your vehicle?

We're you driving?

Answer yes to them, and your done like a dinner.

While your notion of them having to "prove" rather than than simply "allege" is how it should work. It isn't how it actually works...... And unless there is a problem with the camera, then you have less than a snowballs chance.
Then how would you explain around 400 people getting off fines on the western ring road cameras? If its as simple as your driving and its your car then its your fault I fail to see its that clear cut......I mean with some I can see the judge treating it like that but there are plenty of people who have fought their speeding fines and gotten out of it with little effort.

As said a dash cam showing your speed as you go past said camera would be a huge one of proof and if they still tried to argue that hell yeah i'd go further. At the end of the day it really comes down to what you can prove....If you can't prove **** well then yeah you're up a certain creek.

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #24
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mex351 View Post
I get out of speeding tickets by not speeding...
Sooooooo, never once found yourself over the limit?

We both know the answer to that. And if it's a no, your either lying or spending about the same amount of time watching your speedo that other people do looking out the window. And if that's the case, I'm glad we are in separate states.

Just happens sometimes that some poor sod happens to find himself over the limit after the flash......

Very much a hypocritical answer.
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #25
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL OK I guess I'll reply. So when you do you learn if you get caught doing something Illegal (like speeding) you accept it and pay the fine. Trying to get out of something you did is called cheating or been dishonest and in NSW we call them a dog.

Others like you seem to moan and cry and blame the system when the person behind the wheel is in control of there own actions. Hard to see how the police are the blame for that and the fact they actually only enforce the laws not make them up.

Regards Rob

Last edited by GasoLane; 30-11-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 30-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #26
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

What I didn't mention, was I have been done for speeding whilst unknown. 5 years ago, in a 100 zone. Whilst not closing in on them, and at a safe distance, I was too busy watching 3 cars play what look to be a moving version of a shell game, to this day I have no idea what they were doing but they were changing so fast and often that I genuinely expecting an accident, anyway watching these three go ahead an change lanes multiple time in 30 seconds or so, my speed had crept up to 111, and *flash* "huh? What was?" *look down at dash* 111 "oh look at that". I payed up. Didn't moan, didn't cry, didnt try any form of recourse, just payed up. So your assessment of me is wrong.

The OP has 2 cars in the photo, and had his cruise on, and while he could be lying, let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Where too now? From a moral standpoint he should just suck it up and move on? As I said earlier, he has to because he doesn't have a massive amount to fight it. So if you don't speed an this happene to you, you wouldn't feel wronged? You just say, "oh I must have been that day?".

And you failed to answer my question, you have never found yourself speeding? At which point did you send the appropriate amount of money to government, pay your fine and ask for the corresponding points to be deducted from your licence? Bet you didn't because you weren't "caught" were you?

As for your definition of "dog", wrong there also mate. Dogging is telling the authorities (or other parties) of illegal and/or dishonest activity, hence the sayings "dogging to the cops" "dogged/ing on me".
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

Last edited by GasoLane; 30-11-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 30-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #27
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All that dribble and still your no closer to the fact if you speed and get caught it's your fault...even a QLDer can realize that...or not

I don't think I know a person who has not been done speeding who wasn't speeding but maybe things are a great big giant conspiracy singling out people who speed ????? Hmmmmmmmmmm let me think about that for a bit...nope makes sense.

Simple speed and get done your fault if you don't speed you don't get pulled over. Well thats how it is in the the rest of the world but QLD must be different, your right I am glad we live in different states.

Arrogant no,I actually go to meets with people and race my car and make friends,Ignorant nope just years of industrial work has taken a toll on my hearing but thanks for asking,but zero tolerance for people who complain about there own mistakes.

Do I care about you or your speeding tickets,didn't even read it TBH but again if you were you deserved it.

Have I been done speeding ? You really are a QLDer LOL

Cheers bud...
Old 30-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #28
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
actually in Victoria its up to 14kmh over with a good driving record

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content...ument_id=10369
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #29
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you believe you weren't speeding then fight it, if you're just trying to get out of a fine then cop it on the chin and pay up.
Old 30-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #30
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are we talking "cruise " in a ford? Every ford I have had in the last 12 years (5) will at least creep up to sometimes +5, especially going over a steep crest. My Terri is the worst at it.
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post