Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #151
Chopped
as in chopped

It's almost like we are getting excited about Yellow Cabs saying they are going to buy so many falcons in 2011 !!

As tragic car fans, are we reduced to getting excited about police vehicle contracts !!
Old 15-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #152
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
It's almost like we are getting excited about Yellow Cabs saying they are going to buy so many falcons in 2011 !!

As tragic car fans, are we reduced to getting excited about police vehicle contracts !!

I know, I was thinking similar before. It is almost a case of a lot of members here believe that it is a personal insult if the Falcon is not selected for any and all applications. Seems to be a strong sentiment that the Falcon should be the supreme ruler of the automotive world.
Old 15-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #153
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/61013/fo...-fwd/#comments

Quote:
Ford set to replace Crown Victoria with Taurus-based FWD

March 15, 2010 by Matt Brogan

Following on from our story late last week, reports today say Ford US will replace its aging Crown Victoria with a new front-wheel drive sedan that shares its platform with the current model Taurus.

The new purpose-built vehicle will be engineered to exceed the Crown Victoria’s safety, durability and performance record and will also be offered in an all-wheel drive variant.

“Police nationwide asked for a new kind of weapon in the battle for public safety, and Ford is answering the call with a purpose-built vehicle — engineered and built in America — that’s as dynamic as it is durable,” said Mr Mark Fields, Ford president of the Americas.

The Ford Police Interceptor will be available with two 3.5-litre V6 engines: a naturally aspirated 196kW unit on front-wheel drive models, and a 272kW twin-turbocharged direct injection variant equipped with all-wheel drive.

Ford also announced today that a second pursuit model, an as yet unnamed utility vehicle, will be offered to police agencies. More details will follow in Q3 this year.

The Police Interceptor will be built at Ford’s Chicago assembly plant from late 2011.
Old 15-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #154
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I know, I was thinking similar before. It is almost a case of a lot of members here believe that it is a personal insult if the Falcon is not selected for any and all applications. Seems to be a strong sentiment that the Falcon should be the supreme ruler of the automotive world.
Falcon has been spared from a mundane role, I'd rather it be
reserved for something better like a Lincoln MKR or Thunderbird.

Still, I recon the Ecoboost I-4 and 5.0 Falcon would have made two fine Police interceptors...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #155
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Sadly i am aflicted by this... i think its because i firmly beleive that the falcon is under-rated and I always cheer for the underdog, its the australian way
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #156
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Falcon has been spared from a mundane role, I'd rather it be
reserved for something better like a Lincoln MKR or Thunderbird.

Still, I recon the Ecoboost I-4 and 5.0 Falcon would have made two fine Police interceptors...
Agreed - but it would need more leg room for stateside customers
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #157
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The PITT maneuver issue is a moot point
Perhaps moot in more ways than one. Below is a link to an article about PIT manoeuvre and the interaction with electronic stability control on the target vehicle. (I just love the maths.) I imagine there will come a time with the electronic brains will be able to fully counteract the PIT. Probably by then the police forces will have a way to just remotely “safe” the vehicle.

http://jianbolu.tripod.com/paper/DSCC2008-2183.pdf
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #158
DTFRMONT

Interesting thread on another forum I visit. Interesting that with the Carbons, they're either sold to another police force or destoryed when the original owners are done with them, couldn't see that happening here....

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/2199330/
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #159
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFRMONT
Interesting thread on another forum I visit. Interesting that with the Carbons, they're either sold to another police force or destoryed when the original owners are done with them, couldn't see that happening here....

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/2199330/
Carbon Motors is vaporware that's relying on venture capitol for start up funding.
Their whole business model relies on police departments
giving over all their future buying decisions to carbon.

There is no PD that will ever lock themselves into that type of agreement...
Old 16-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #160
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...0316-qahx.html

Quote:
Ford's new cop car
MATT CAMPBELL
March 16, 2010

Ford unveils its all-new crime-fighting Police Interceptor.

For those addicted to American crime shows, it will soon be possible to tell repeats from new episodes after Ford released an all-new Police Interceptor.

The Police Interceptor is based on the Ford Taurus sedan that will in late 2011 succeed the Crown Victoria model familiar from TV.

Ford says 90 per cent of the Taurus’s interior has been redesigned for law enforcement needs. The front seatbacks incorporate anti-stab plates, the front seat bolsters are lower to accommodate officers’ utility belts, and the column shifter has been revised to free up room on the centre console for police aftermarket equipment.

There’s also good news for taller criminals with the new Interceptor boasting improved rear-seat legroom and wider access to the second row.

The Interceptor will use two different engines for chasing the bad guys. A 3.5-litre V6 engine delivers about 200kW while also offering E85 (85 per cent ethanol-blend fuel) compatibility, and is 25 per cent more fuel efficient than the 4.6-litre V8 used in the outgoing Crown Victoria.

There will also be an all-new 272kW/475Nm EcoBoost twin-turbo 3.5-litre V6 with direct-injection that, if Ford CEO Allan Mullaly’s One Ford vision is anything to go by, will likely feature in Australia in the next-generation Falcon - be it a rebadged Taurus or not.

The EcoBoost model is also all-wheel drive, and has an array of safety equipment and new technologies including side-curtain airbags with rollover protection, blind-spot warning and rear-view camera.

“This vehicle is pursuit-ready,” said Carl Widmann, Ford vehicle engineering manager. “It’s no nonsense, through and through.”

Ford says a Police Interceptor ute will also be offered.

And for a bit of an Aussie twist, the Taurus that could become the future Falcon will be up against the Holden Commodore-based Police Pursuit Vehicle that is currently being tested in the US.
Old 16-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #161
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't get too excited, the "Ute" is not what you think,
American utility vehicles are crossovers like Explorer...
Old 16-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #162
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
The Caprice and Commodore are proven police vehicles in very harsh environments like South Africa, the Middle East and Australia. the Taurus has no law enforcement pedigree whatsoever.
The VE Holden interior trim falls apart and the seats get ripped apart by glocks. The seats inside the Taurus were custom made to suit police utility belts unlike what Australian police dept's get. I say let's wait and see how well Ford can make the Taurus adapt to police duty.
Old 19-03-2010, 12:59 AM   #163
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here it is.

Standard V6 196KW Twin turbo 272kw

The Calais looks crap but the Dodge looks very Mustang.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/glance/10...ce-interceptor
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 03:49 AM   #164
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Seems to be a strong sentiment that the Falcon should be the supreme ruler of the automotive world.
Is it not.......?
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #165
Outback
Banned

As a proud Australian I hope Holden get the contract.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #166
WASP
Whipple Induced

'Robocop' would be very happy with that Twin Turbo Taurus!
Old 19-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #167
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback
As a proud Australian I hope Holden get the contract.
Holden is going to be supplying US cop cars. But I suspect there will be a lot more Tauruses (Tauri?) sold to the cops. The Charger also seems to have been a popular alternative to the Crown Vic.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #168
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
'Robocop' would be very happy with that Twin Turbo Taurus!
and here it is

um, sorry.
Old 19-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #169
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
The VE Holden interior trim falls apart and the seats get ripped apart by glocks. The seats inside the Taurus were custom made to suit police utility belts unlike what Australian police dept's get. I say let's wait and see how well Ford can make the Taurus adapt to police duty.
The Chevy Caprice is getting a similar seat set up where the front seats have cut outs for the tool belts. Being GM I'm sure they will sell some Caprice's.
Old 19-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #170
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.caradvice.com.au/60576/fo...lcon/#comments

Quote:
Ford’s US police car platform could underpin next Aussie Falcon

March 12, 2010 by Matt Brogan

Ford US will next Friday unveil its new, purpose-built Police Interceptor to a select group of law enforcement fleet customers in Las Vegas.

The car’s underpinnings could be the strongest hint yet at Ford’s new global rear-wheel drive platform that may form the framework for the next-generation Australian-built Falcon.

The unveiling, which is not open to members of the media or general public, will showcase the vehicle Ford will use to replace the aging Crown Victoria, due to be superseded next year.

Though little is known about the upcoming vehicle, a report published in the Detroit News said Ford are unlikely to use a version of its new Taurus due to the concerns voiced by law enforcement agencies that the model’s more complex structure, engine technology and monocoque design make it undesirable for police work (believing a body-on-frame design is preferable for the additional strength and lower repair costs required).

The news follows GM’s response to a new Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) last year when it displayed a Zeta platform-based, Holden-sourced Caprice at the 2009 Los Angeles Motor Show. Wearing a Chevrolet badge, the Caprice was offered with both V6 and V8 engines.

CarAdvice will keep you posted on any news as it comes to hand.
Old 14-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #171
bartaxr8

Default Bit Of An Update..........

Here is a recent article in a Detroit newspaper about the new Ford Police cars:
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...-police-market
bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #172
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner
Here it is.

Standard V6 196KW Twin turbo 272kw

The Calais looks crap but the Dodge looks very Mustang.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/glance/10...ce-interceptor
Stick a toyota badge on that grille and I wouldnt have noticed anything wrong. Looks so much like a 4cyl camry with a kit.
barra265t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #173
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartaxr8
Here is a recent article in a Detroit newspaper about the new Ford Police cars:
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...-police-market
As much as it would be nice to see an Australia built car over there, I just can't see Holden winning much business from the US police deparment when it is up against that!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #174
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

No point in starting a new thread.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/74160/20...stealth-model/

Quote:
2011 Chevrolet Caprice PPV manual reveals Detective stealth model
By Tim Beissmann | July 14th, 2010

Chevrolet has released the technical manual for the Holden-based 2011 Chevrolet Caprice PPV (Police Patrol Vehicle) with details of two available variants: the 9C1 Police Package and the 9C3 Detective Police Package.

Both vehicles come with a number of unique purpose-built features for police work.

The Trap Speed Feature allows the driver to use steering wheel-mounted controls to record and store the speed of the car directly in front, while Stealth Mode lets the driver to turn off all the exterior and interior lights by rotating the headlamp switch to OFF to aid undetected approaches.

Other unique features include 18in steel wheels, heavy-duty disc brakes and improved suspension, an enhanced stability control system with police performance mode, upgraded coolers for the engine oil, transmission and power steering and a 170-amp alternator.

The 9C3 Detective has been designed for non-patrol and undercover police work. Offered in seven different colours, it does away with many of the more obvious exterior modifications of the 9C1 patrol version and is equipped more like a standard road car.

As criminals will not be transported in the 9C3, it gains revised front and rear seat configurations and a centre console with cup holders.

Both will be powered by a 265kW/521Nm 6.0-litre V8 with FlexFuel (which takes petrol and E85 ethanol) and Active Fuel Management. GM says its 0-100km/h time of less than 6.0 seconds will make it the police service’s fastest-accelerating and highest-top speed vehicle.

A six-cylinder version of the Caprice PPV is expected to become available in 2012.

General Motors will not sell either version of the 2011 Chevrolet Caprice PPV to retail customers, restricting sales to police departments only. GM is currently showing the vehicle around North America before orders for the 2011 vehicles are placed in the coming months.

Local Holden spokesman Jonathan Rose said the level of demand for the Australian-built Caprice PPV would become clearer in the second half of this year.

“Production and shipping dates are to be confirmed. The first step in the process is to showcase the car to the North American market and at that point GM hopes to start receiving orders,” Mr Rose said.

“We haven’t confirmed volumes at this stage but we know that the North American law enforcement market equates to about 70,000 vehicles per year, so capturing even a fraction of that market would be significant for Holden.”

Local production is not expected to begin until late-2010 or early-2011.
Old 14-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #175
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

So let me see if i read this right. A car that the public can't buy is ment to be the undercover car so that it blends into cars the public can buy

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #176
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
So let me see if i read this right. A car that the public can't buy is ment to be the undercover car so that it blends into cars the public can buy

Cheers
Sounds about right...

tards...
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #177
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo

Cheers
You see, that's why it comes in seven different colours, it'll keep 'em guessing.
Old 15-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #178
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

They might yet get away with it. The rear end of the car shares a resemblance with the Impala and the size of the car wont set it apart.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #179
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am I the only one who would love to have those 18inch steelies if I owned a V8 Commodore/Statesman?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #180
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Am I the only one who would love to have those 18inch steelies if I owned a V8 Commodore/Statesman?
Perhaps. I wanted to put the 17 inch pursuit rims (Territory spare wheel rim) on my BA but finding them was next to impossible. I have alloys now and they look better anyway

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post