Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 13-06-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 
Default XC Cobra #140

I have had this one on the go since 2003. Yes, we all know how long it takes to restore a car with everything else that keeps getting in the way. I wont post up all pictures as I have another link that you can see all of them and here it is;

http://www.paulsfords.com/main.php?g...m&g2_itemId=16

However, I am using the photobucket site now so will post up the pics as I go. Here a couple of where the car is now as well as a recent arrival;

I have had the car kept well out of the way since December 2005, whereas now, I have moved it to where I can start work on it, finally!!!! Don't mind the box, sorry.

The XC style (large centre) Bathurst Globes, have just arrived. And they look bloody excellent!!!!!!!!! I got 5 of them and will soon be putting the tyres on them.

I will post up more info later.

Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
cob115
COUPE WHORE

apsoluty beutiful mate keepem comeing i reckon the xc was and still is the best ever cobra made cheers pat cob115 :

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

Hi Paull as you are aware i was the last person to drive your cobra under its own power back in about 1991
I wrecked 1 of the original globes against a kerb bent wish bones as well was ucky not to hit a light pole missed it by about 6 inches
look forward to watching it come back to life love the cobras

My car T3 TS50 #75 Blueprint manual 1/4 mile 13.38 @ 102.97 mph TS 50 = 237.1 rwkw
UU TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
SeXC
Pushrodosaurus Rex

what did those globes cost ya, and where did you get them from?
SeXC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Looking forward to see things as they go so keep posting! Great garage to play in ...... how many sets of wheel arch moulds do you have!!!!

GT Performance in Niddrie do the Bathurst Globe replicas but I am sure available else where

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

This is another project worth veiwing, keep us updated along the way mate.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2008, 05:44 AM   #7
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeXC
what did those globes cost ya, and where did you get them from?
I paid $2,550 for 4 with caps and nuts and then another $550 for the 5th wheel on its own. Am not sure who supplied them as I bought them through a friend of mine who deals directly with the manufacturer/supplier, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
how many sets of wheel arch moulds do you have!!!! ?
A few . They are for P6 LTD only, of course. Have a few NOS ones but mostly second hand.
Old 14-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #8
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

did you get the originals with the car when you bought it ?

My car T3 TS50 #75 Blueprint manual 1/4 mile 13.38 @ 102.97 mph TS 50 = 237.1 rwkw
Old 14-06-2008, 08:14 AM   #9
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by au302s3
did you get the originals with the car when you bought it ?
No, unfortunately not. I also did not get the transmission, door trims and electric window mechanisms. And yes, has taken quite a while to get that stuff, but that was simply the way the deal was structured.
Old 14-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Love the garage....... and the contents!!

It'll be great to see another Cobra brought back to life, keep the pics and reports comming.

Cheers.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #11
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

i had fitted a toploader to it so the original FMX was long gone i knew he onsold the toploader but i didnt think he would have separated those other bits as it was all there when i sold it just in bits thats all

Old 31-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
Paull
P6 LTD

I thought I would post up a few of the pics, of the last few years that is, and then continue on with the latest.

I had had the car for about 1 year but these were first taken when it went to the panel beaters in 2003

A few progress pics, circa 2005

Old 31-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #13
Paull
P6 LTD

Completed and now on its way home in December 2005

And there it sat up until recently and yes I know, I am very slow at getting this thing done:
Old 31-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #14
Paull
P6 LTD

After waiting 9 months, the dash parts have finally been finished :

Dash fascia

Glove box

Dash vent

Clock

Will post up more pics this afternoon.
Old 31-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #15
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Everything is brand new!! Obviously you had all the bits re done ... who did the re chroming? When do you envisage the job to be done or you havnt set a time line?

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 31-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #16
Paull
P6 LTD

This is the car now as it stands

I still have to remove all of the front end as well as the differential and leaf springs. Once done, I can then fit in all of the new stuff in. Just not sure whether to go for the 3.25:1 ratio gears or stick with the original yawn boring 2.75:1 gears?????

I have also recently gone through all of the spares that I have been accumulating over the last 5 years as well. It is amazing what you forget what you have. At any rate, all has now been sorted and the only thing that is missing are the door trims. Have been waiting for more years than I can count on these ones. Apparently restoring XC coupe door trims come well behind all other models :

The good thing is that I now realise that I have two and half sets of coupe electric window mechanisms :

And the last one is the engine as it sits now. Will be a while before I make a start on this one though :

Old 31-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #17
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Paull, have you ever found a way to recondition the aluminium panel that sits in the console. I have one i want to get recovered in the original vinyl sort of stuff.
gregaust is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #18
cob115
COUPE WHORE

[QUOTE=Paull]This is the car now as it stands

I still have to remove all of the front end as well as the differential and leaf springs. Once done, I can then fit in all of the new stuff in. Just not sure whether to go for the 3.25:1 ratio gears or stick with the original yawn boring 2.75:1 gears?????

looking very nice paull,i know what your saying bout the diff gears ,i use my cobra nearly every day for work etc so il leave mine with long legs(more practical) ,but i wouldnt of thought going to 3.25 wasnt a big deal,i went from 2.7 or what ever they are to 3.7 (in my yellow xc)still steetable but boy big difference at the lights :evil3: but pretty crap on the highway cheers pat

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
Old 02-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #19
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob115
looking very nice paull,i know what your saying bout the diff gears ,i use my cobra nearly every day for work etc so il leave mine with long legs(more practical) ,but i wouldnt of thought going to 3.25 wasnt a big deal,i went from 2.7 or what ever they are to 3.7 (in my yellow xc)still steetable but boy big difference at the lights :evil3: but pretty crap on the highway cheers pat
3.7 with a lower profile tyre gives me around 3000RPM at 100k'ms which i find not too bad for the open road. When I put the 65 profiles on it changed to around 2800 which is very comfy. 3.25 should be somewhere around the 2500 mark ?

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-09-2008, 10:58 PM   #20
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust
Paull, have you ever found a way to recondition the aluminium panel that sits in the console. I have one i want to get recovered in the original vinyl sort of stuff.
Not knowing as I have a new one;

However, I would think that you could remove the existing vinyl material and ask a Trimmer or the likes if they can either heat shrink or vacuum wrap some new vinyl onto it. I also would have thought that the companies that restore consoles could perhaps do it for you????

Quote:
Everything is brand new!! Obviously you had all the bits re done ... who did the re chroming? When do you envisage the job to be done or you havnt set a time line?
This is the company that did it;
http://www.classicautoupholstery.com.au/

How long is a piece of string Dave????? Sorry, really don't know when it is going to be done as everything else keeps getting in the way. I don't see much more being done on the car for the rest of the year, just don't have much time to spare. And no, there has been no real time limit set as I simply look at it as being 'the car will be done when it gets done'. I am also doing another one as well - XD ex pursuit car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob115
looking very nice paull,i know what your saying bout the diff gears ,i use my cobra nearly every day for work etc so il leave mine with long legs(more practical) ,but i wouldnt of thought going to 3.25 wasnt a big deal,i went from 2.7 or what ever they are to 3.7 (in my yellow xc)still steetable but boy big difference at the lights but pretty crap on the highway cheers pat
Thanks Pat. The car will only be a once in a month Sunday driver so I am not too concerned about using it on long runs and everday as well. I have two sets of tyres, 1) 4 x 245 65 15's on the aforementioned 15 x 7 rims and then 2) 2 x 265 ? 15's on 15 x 8 Challenger rims (front) and 2 x 295 ? 15's on 15 x 10 Challenger rims. All of them are Yokohama 352's.

Quote:
3.25 should be somewhere around the 2500 mark ?
That sounds pretty good, thanks for that Dave.
Old 19-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #21
cob115
COUPE WHORE

more pics please :oh i just read u have challenger 15x10 for the rear and were going to fit295sif you havnt shortnd your diff you wont fit 295s I know as i tried it my self,god dam back space,in the end i kept the 15x8 with a 4inch back space n still fitted 295s cheers pat

Last edited by cob115; 19-09-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 25-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #22
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who panelled and painted your Cobra? Did you get any plastic repaired for your dash etc?
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #23
Night

Curious as to if you painted the blue before the white, I would have thought it would be the other way around. Looks good though, Cobra's were always my favorite coupes.
Night is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #24
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night
Curious as to if you painted the blue before the white, I would have thought it would be the other way around. Looks good though, Cobra's were always my favorite coupes.
this has been a passionate subject on the forums before. it seems that when the cobra was thought of, they were meant to be a blue car with white patches. probably ford started counting the extra money they were spending with two coats of paint, and started cutting back. some people will swear their cobra was all blue with white. others swear theirs was only blue where the stripes are and no where else. and of course it seems there were some in between with similar amounts of blue to paull's

i believe the goss specials were similar - painted blue or green first, then white over the top
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #25
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Cobras were painted Bold Blue, Then the Snow White. I just want to know who did yours as it looks like a pretty sweet job, And I too am in WA, looking for a good spraypainter.
Old 25-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #26
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
this has been a passionate subject on the forums before. it seems that when the cobra was thought of, they were meant to be a blue car with white patches. probably ford started counting the extra money they were spending with two coats of paint, and started cutting back. some people will swear their cobra was all blue with white. others swear theirs was only blue where the stripes are and no where else. and of course it seems there were some in between with similar amounts of blue to paull's

i believe the goss specials were similar - painted blue or green first, then white over the top
That's pretty much it. From what I have been told by owners of the higher series numbered cars, they got the part blue/part white. Whereas the lower series numbered cars (mine included), got the all blue/part white treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night
Cars where painted this way from the factory and that is the way the painter wanted to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
Who panelled and painted your Cobra? Did you get any plastic repaired for your dash etc?.
A mate of mine did the job. He works from home and restores anything Mopar. The only reason that I got mine done was out of sheer perseverance. So no, as many times I have asked him to do more of my cars (1 x XD Falcon and 3 x P6 LTD's), he always says no now, Chrylser Chargers are the go now.

And no, I had no plastic repairs done to my dash.
Old 26-01-2009, 12:14 AM   #27
Night

Cheers for that, I asked cause I'm still picking up methods for when I start one of these projects myself. Seemed a bit strange painting a white over a colour and I thought you would need a lot more coats of paint to do it that way.
Night is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 12:25 AM   #28
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Paull

Clearly the spray painter is a clever bloke

If he says to another car then he will be doing P6s for the rest of his life! You have about 10 of the damn things

: :

George
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #29
cob115
COUPE WHORE

intresting ,i thought all of them were blue 1st ,when i found mine it had ben polished so much and faded you could see blue under the white evey were,

Old 26-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #30
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers for the reply, You must of been collecting a lot of goodies for your car for a long time to have such nice bolt on bits for her.