Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-05-2023, 08:56 PM   #91
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VE Commodore Front Structure

I can confirm that you can charge using the under bonnet + terminal and the - lug on the LH inner guard. I’ve done it many times over the years because I cbf’d wrestling with that battery cover in the boot that never seems to want to go back in neatly.

That under bonnet + terminal is directly connected back to the battery in the boot, via a substantial wire.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-05-2023, 09:00 PM   #92
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It looked logically wired, but I’m not one to assume that logic naturally follows. And had seen self-indulgently cryptic posts from a member or two on “justcommodores” who were implying otherwise.

Trying to scare up two guards in Red Passion tomorrow. Looks like JJ’s have sold one of theirs, and the matching piece is at Ultimate Jap… It looks like the sill trim has to come off for guard changes?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2023, 10:37 PM   #93
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, but you only have to drop the front section down enough to swing out the guard.
Oh, and the screw for the chrome gutter mould.
The windscreen a-pillar trims just lift right out.

Edit: the replacement guards will show you where the PITA bolt is near the door.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2023, 11:33 PM   #94
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
A good design for low speed collision repairability. Not sure on the higher G-force ideas, perhaps designed to tear away and not stop the power train from submarining.
From memory the design also came down to ease and cheapness of assembly.

The front module was assembled elsewhere and was mated to the car somewhere near the end. In the meantime line workers could walk into the engine bay to add parts and bolt down fixings rather than having to lean over guards and a radiator support to do the same.

It also reduced the potential for damage to guards and bars during assembly.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2023, 11:34 PM   #95
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Trim screw sounds worth eyeballing carefully - thanks.

Disappointed to discover this evening that Arthur Tussik of YT bodywork repair fame is unwell, it’s not looking very good for him. Relevance to a VE Commodore thread is, he’s long been my inspiration for “having a go” at repairs. Practical and pragmatic; usually the two held each other in balance.
Old 10-05-2023, 04:57 AM   #96
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

A question on the AC re-commissioning. With new condenser and drier, did Holden give a pro-rated top up figure for PAG oil as Ford did for the Falcon?

Googling it quickly only led to erroneous answers (equal to dry system) and arguments on Whingepool.
Old 11-05-2023, 04:38 PM   #97
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Replacement guard lines up nicely; paint is a reasonable match. They are something of a pain to fit with respect to the lower two bolts and releasing the sill overmould.
From the shut line above, and the image following, it’s clear the bonnet hinges are no longer good. I bought a used pair today for $80.
Ex labour, the repair will come in around $2100-$2200 with coolant flushed and AC re-gassed. Considering that included a premium for matched colour panels and no trade discounts, I’m happy enough.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2023, 02:22 PM   #98
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Couple of questions for the Commodore-knowledgeable.

First, I have to replace the bonnet hinges. The wreckers sold me the entire mount plate plus attached hinge. Is it normally required to replace it all? “My” bonnet is about 5mm back and 8mm down, not more than that.
Then there’s this mystery rubber channel which fell down somewhere between removing scuttle trim and replacing the offside guard. I have no idea where it is supposed to go - help, please! Dirt has been left on to assist in orientation.
Old 22-05-2023, 05:36 PM   #99
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Touching up the rails tomorrow where they lost paint in the repairs, got a new radiator coming (Koyo, not another random used one), picked up new Adrad condenser today and had a chat with some up-to-speed automotive paint people about the bumper repairs.

So, after a few missteps it’s inching towards completion again. Special mention to my cat for chewing two inches off the washer line connector on the scuttle trim.
Old 24-05-2023, 02:09 AM   #100
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
A question on the AC re-commissioning. With new condenser and drier, did Holden give a pro-rated top up figure for PAG oil as Ford did for the Falcon?

Googling it quickly only led to erroneous answers (equal to dry system) and arguments on Whingepool.
Auto elec friend reckons he works on 50ml for the condensor, 30 for the reciever-dryer assy
Old 24-05-2023, 06:18 AM   #101
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That’s a number I’m comfortable with - thanks. Dummying the new condenser showed me I need to replace the larger bore hose as it’s excessively distorted.

I’ve noticed the headlights have been designed for EEC mandated tab repair kits, very progressive.
Old 26-06-2023, 09:04 PM   #102
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

This project is now substantially completed.

It’s waiting for the correct bumper to be painted and fitted, AC condenser install and re-gas, and possibly timing chains if the budget is there. But it’s otherwise working - noting there is a misfire - and back together, being driven.

A work in progress shot, from the day I repainted the rail ends.
A modern, Euro influenced chassis front that allows this level of easy dismantling, shows where Holden leapt ahead of Ford; structurally, it’s everything the FG could have been.

The following items were replaced or addressed during repair, at a total cost of about $2700 including fuel and consumables:
  • Front bumper skin, bumper harness and upper grille
  • Both front guards
  • Bonnet
  • Bonnet hinges
  • Radiator support
  • Radiator support wiring
  • Crash sensors
  • Bonnet latch
  • Overflow bottle filler neck and hose
  • Front bumper “egg crate”
  • Front reinforcement extrusion
  • Windscreen washer reservoir, pump and plumbing
  • Radiator air intake cowling
  • Projector headlights
  • Under-headlight bumper fixings
  • Engine harness connector housings
  • Condenser
  • Radiator (twice! )
  • Compressor manifold hose set
  • All AC seals forward of the firewall
  • Transmission line O-rings
  • Coolant flush and renew
  • Pollen filter

Plus a few other bits where used parts came with better (but not critical) bits included - like a nicer condition undertray.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 26-06-2023 at 09:23 PM.
2 users like this post: