Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-06-2023, 02:58 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Decisions Delema

Ive been watching car sales for an FG11/FG X XR6 UTE to pop up that tick all my boxes. It would also mean having to offload the FG11 XT UTE gas quickly.
Ive always had a hankering for an AU XR model.
This has just popped up
AU XR8 ute for sale 5 litre Tickford V8 Tray top , 2x toolbox's good tyres. auto trans $10K

now, considering the point that a decent FG11 or FGX I would be looking at $24K am I stupid to consider the above, remove the tray add a tub & canopy, get a repaint and still have $$ to spend tiding it up....
Old 11-06-2023, 03:02 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Decisions Delema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Ive been watching car sales for an FG11/FG X XR6 UTE to pop up that tick all my boxes. It would also mean having to offload the FG11 XT UTE gas quickly.
Ive always had a hankering for an AU XR model.
This has just popped up
AU XR8 ute for sale 5 litre Tickford V8 Tray top , 2x toolbox's good tyres. auto trans $10K

now, considering the point that a decent FG11 or FGX I would be looking at $24K am I stupid to consider the above, remove the tray add a tub & canopy, get a repaint and still have $$ to spend tiding it up....
Do you need a tub or just like the look. Are tubs easy to find these days ?
I would leave it a tray but thats me.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2023, 03:04 PM   #3
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I prefer tubs
Old 11-06-2023, 06:29 PM   #4
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

That's a lot of money for a flogged out shitbox. I'm all for AU's but i'm not for paying a premium for one that looks like it hasn't been looked after at all.

That also has the wrong front bar on it as it's a S2/3
Old 11-06-2023, 06:37 PM   #5
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

As Fordomatic said.

You could buy a lot better for less money. COVID tax is finished.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2023, 06:50 PM   #6
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cool thats all I want to know.
Country town thinks he can get extra $$ for it.
Old 12-06-2023, 01:37 AM   #7
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Unless it has stupidly low k's, i reckon its overpriced
Old 12-06-2023, 08:58 AM   #8
roKWiz
Cabover nut

What ever condition or price when you are no where big cities where these things (cars in general) are readily available will make a huge difference.

Do you want to travel the distance to retrieve something similar but priced lower.
I guess how much time and money do you want to spend travelling to a gig to save.
I thought the covid tax was still alive and well in the big smoke.

Just thinking out load.

2 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2023, 11:05 AM   #9
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Unless it has stupidly low k's, i reckon its overpriced
Even if odo says low kms I’d be steering away. Soooo many people swap clusters in AUs. The amount of XRs I’ve looked at with 100km and are flogged out, is many. My old silver XR8 with 210km presented better than those crap boxes.

Also, spend 10k on that ute and it’s still a 10k ute. Buy something that needs minimal work and has been looked after. Don’t be scared to travel, out of the last 8 cars I’ve bought, only one was a Canberra car.

Covid tax has calmed. BF GTs that we’re selling for 50k are now 30k and not selling. Only truly immacualte low km cars are fetching good money still. For the run of the mill enthusiast car that is relatively common, the reasonable prices have returned.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:26 AM   #10
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Geeze, valuing a car from pictures is quite a talent.

Old 12-06-2023, 02:20 PM   #11
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Sure is, it’s evolved after looking at cars for years. From experience, if the car looks bad in photos, it’ll look even worse in real life. Depends what you are after, but if someone can’t even clean their car up for sale and is asking a premium then forget it.

Then you get the owners who say their car is excellent then you get there to look and it far from perfect. I spent over 4k in travel looking for one of my AU’s because of multiple dishonest sellers.

I’ve bought less than good cars but they were priced appropriately.

Edit, we are taking about this particular car in question for 10k. If it was 6k and I was in the market, I’d look at it. Been plenty of XR8 utes around for that money in the last 6 months.

Do you think it’s good value at 10k? If so, what’s your reasons?

Last edited by fordomatic; 12-06-2023 at 02:28 PM.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-06-2023, 02:44 PM   #12
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Can tell by the discoloration on the tray and the residual marks in the pictures it's spent some time on dirt roads.
Expect to be doing a lot of cleaning and chasing rattles and squeaks if you want to end up with a top notch car.
There will be dirt in everything as well.
10k is definitely overpriced for it.
Mate of mine in Sydney just recently sold his tub back XR8 ute.
Low kms , manual , momo wheel , recent respray in Meterorite ,nice wheels the lot.
It was a mint car.
He got $17k for it.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2023, 02:50 PM   #13
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

everything down this way has mud/dirt on it. Its the nature of the countryside.
Old 12-06-2023, 02:55 PM   #14
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Edit, we are taking about this particular car in question for 10k. If it was 6k and I was in the market, I’d look at it. Been plenty of XR8 utes around for that money in the last 6 months.

Do you think it’s good value at 10k? If so, what’s your reasons?
Its an AU so it must be priceless, right !

I wasn't questioning the value of some guys car for sale, I've never seen or driven.
I wouldn't know what its worth or nor do I care.

Who knows this car in question might be priced because he knows he has a captive buyers market within that certain area not flooded with other sh*tbox cars of the same era.

He might be taking the p*ss and priced it to lure in the outraged experts to tell him how overpriced his car is.

Old 12-06-2023, 02:58 PM   #15
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
everything down this way has mud/dirt on it. Its the nature of the countryside.
Just like here, it's normal to actually buy a "used" dirty vehicle with lots of country Km's on it.

Last edited by roKWiz; 12-06-2023 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-06-2023, 05:46 PM   #16
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Its an AU so it must be priceless, right !

I wasn't questioning the value of some guys car for sale, I've never seen or driven.
I wouldn't know what its worth or nor do I care.

Who knows this car in question might be priced because he knows he has a captive buyers market within that certain area not flooded with other sh*tbox cars of the same era.

He might be taking the p*ss and priced it to lure in the outraged experts to tell him how overpriced his car is.
Good points mate
Old 12-06-2023, 06:00 PM   #17
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
I did it professionally for over 10 years.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2023, 06:33 PM   #18
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Sure is, it’s evolved after looking at cars for years. From experience, if the car looks bad in photos, it’ll look even worse in real life. Depends what you are after, but if someone can’t even clean their car up for sale and is asking a premium then forget it.
Never understood that, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a special or unique car.

If you want to sell something, then at least clean it and take all of your crap out of the interior BEFORE taking photos. If you can't be bothered doing that, then what else couldn't you bother doing with the car.

And while I'm on photo's, again why is it a foreign concept for many to include clear, relevant pictures of the car that are in focus, are not taken after dark or with the sun shining into the camera. I also don't understand why pointless images of the blinker stalk or rear vision mirror over clear shots of the engine bay or a wider angle shot of the interior.

I mean, I don't think someone should have to go and do a photography course to sell their car, but common sense suggests you put a bit effort into it so you can sell the car for the price you asking.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2023, 06:38 PM   #19
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you should have seen the wifes attempt at getting her old Subie Outback ready for sale. Still had mud under the wheel arches and her art gear in the back.
Old 12-06-2023, 06:55 PM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Never understood that, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a special or unique car.

If you want to sell something, then at least clean it and take all of your crap out of the interior BEFORE taking photos. If you can't be bothered doing that, then what else couldn't you bother doing with the car.

And while I'm on photo's, again why is it a foreign concept for many to include clear, relevant pictures of the car that are in focus, are not taken after dark or with the sun shining into the camera. I also don't understand why pointless images of the blinker stalk or rear vision mirror over clear shots of the engine bay or a wider angle shot of the interior.

I mean, I don't think someone should have to go and do a photography course to sell their car, but common sense suggests you put a bit effort into it so you can sell the car for the price you asking.
They obviously haven't seen this page

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11453921
Old 12-06-2023, 07:10 PM   #21
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

“Full-size spare included”
I like his (PG2’s) description of my house and front lawn.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2023, 11:06 AM   #22
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Spare wheels aside, how does a professional seller address the presence of outdated tech integral to the car - like many early to mid ‘00s Euros where they had a SIM tray for dedicated car phone and now there’s a whole bunch of dead buttonry thanks to modern ways of doing it?
Old 13-06-2023, 11:52 AM   #23
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm hearing you!

Another strange one that I've noticed becoming more and more prevalent is the photo of the subject vehicle sitting in a car wash or on the front lawn and covered in spray foam. I especially notice this on Facebook Marketplace listings.

Is the seller trying to convey a message like, 'Hey, it's a great car. See - I even wash it!'

I must be getting old...
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2023, 12:24 PM   #24
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Im a bit in the middle, wont buy a car thats been neglected and presents feral nor like one thats been freshly detailed to hide how it was treated.
I prefer to buy clean as driven.

Bought the little lady an Outlander privately last week, 2016, 2.4l 4wd ZK LS in white with 90k's on it for $14k. Had been his Wifes daily so a few food stains on the seats, few scuff marks around boot, scuff panels, glovebox lid you expect from kids/prams.
Dealers are asking $20-25k for the same car, currently in at a detailers for a full detail at $300.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2023, 12:27 PM   #25
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Im a bit in the middle, wont buy a car thats been neglected and presents feral nor like one thats been freshly detailed to hide how it was treated.

Bought the little lady an Outlander privately last week, 2016, 2.4l 4wd ZK LS in white with 90k's on it for $14k. Had been his Wifes daily so a few food stains on the seats, few scuff marks around boot, scuff panels, glovebox lid you expect from kids/prams.
Dealers are asking $20-25k for the same car, currently in at a detailers for a full detail at $300.
That sounds like a very good buy!
Well done.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2023, 12:55 PM   #26
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post

Off topic, but crazy to think in 2015 we bought a an AWD 2010 Outlander for $12,000 with 100km on it. Prices have gone insane on used dailys. It's at 280,000km now and only issue it's had in the whole time is a clock spring. Besides normal servicing nothing has been replaced, no even any bushes have needed doing. Wish i could say the same about my falcons needing zero maintenance.
Old 13-06-2023, 01:08 PM   #27
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
I'm hearing you!

Another strange one that I've noticed becoming more and more prevalent is the photo of the subject vehicle sitting in a car wash or on the front lawn and covered in spray foam. I especially notice this on Facebook Marketplace listings.

Is the seller trying to convey a message like, 'Hey, it's a great car. See - I even wash it!'

I must be getting old...
Or the ones who post pictures on sales pages in portrait mode FFS turn the camera 90deg. Bloody Bumtree's notorious for it.

2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2023, 01:44 PM   #28
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
One that sticks in my mind was the luxury car with a well-gnawed corn cob in the passenger door pocket. Absolute peasants.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2023, 01:56 PM   #29
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
One that sticks in my mind was the luxury car with a well-gnawed corn cob in the passenger door pocket. Absolute peasants.
Should have seen some of the boats I've looked at over the years.

Most memorable one at a well known marina
(lets say it was under the Gladesville bridge)
They showed us an ex ferry, listing, dinette was still set for dinner, Head was disgusting, bilge full of diesel, maps were strewn all over the cockpit, ropes dangling overboard and clothing thrown into a wardrobe.
It was like the "Marie Celeste" surprised it was still attached to the mooring tbh. and not hauntingly floating down the Parramatta.

2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2023, 04:32 PM   #30
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Spare wheels aside, how does a professional seller address the presence of outdated tech integral to the car - like many early to mid ‘00s Euros where they had a SIM tray for dedicated car phone and now there’s a whole bunch of dead buttonry thanks to modern ways of doing it?
if a buyer is looking at a early 2000's euro im pretty sure they would know about the outdated tech and not care one bit
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post