Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2023, 01:07 PM   #1
beclawrence001
Starter Motor

Default Glow plugs? To do or not? Disconnect?

Hello,

I have been having alot of issues recently with my ford transit 2011, 2.4l

One being that the glow plugs may be burnt out, they have not been resistance tested, but apparently they are gone. I have a GB circuit code and a module code, plus a low beam code. No other codes.

I have heard many stories about glow plugs and them breaking off in the head/snapping or falling into the engine. So I am keen to know if any transit owners have had a hard time removing their plugs and if anyone has any tips for me to make it easier for them to come out. I will not be doing it myself but if there is something I can do leading up to them being done to make them come out easier please let me know .

Also have heard that we don't really need plugs unless in the minus temps. I live in sydney australia, so the car still starts up, its abit slower now in winter but not much.
So I am also wondering if it is okay to just leave them in if they are blown? will it cause any damage? will it affect the dpf regen? and is it possible if I leave them in and still connected that they break off inside and fall in?

OR should I disconnect them so they are not used at all?

Thanks so much
Any advice will help

Bec
beclawrence001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2023, 04:16 PM   #2
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Glow plugs? To do or not? Disconnect?

Bec - I had a starting problem with my Hyundai i30 diesel. When the engine was cold (ie trying to start it for the first time that day) it would start, but not instantly like it should; when it did start, it would run roughly for several seconds and blow some smoke before clearing; if the engine was warm, it would start normally with no problem.

See the thread 'i30 diesel starting issue' which I started on 12 Nov. 2020. I was able to fix it myself by installing four new glow plugs at a much smaller cost than a Hyundai dealer quoted.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2023, 09:22 PM   #3
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We've got two turbo diesels. Patrol with the old school truck engine, and the Equinox with a thoroughly modern 4-banger. (I don't know which yours' would be closest to?)

When glowed, or hot, the Patrol will start with barely a flick. Just bang and off she goes.
BUT there is something dodgy with the Glow Circuit. Sometimes it just doesn't fire, and let me tell ya trying to start it without the plugs is a PITA.
Quote:
Also have heard that we don't really need plugs unless in the minus temps.
Yeah, it's also possible to roll-start. But doing it every day would get tiresome.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2023, 08:26 AM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

A lot depends on where you are and whether the diesel is indirect injected or pre combustion chamber.
Can even depend on the injection pump some inlines struggle while some rotary's just pop straight off.

Glow plugs will certainly help with pre combustion engines.

In areas like country Victoria in Winter most diesels struggle to start without some type of pre heating system.
Sometimes in the dead of Winter here the "Cosby Sauce" might even be needed to due the cold also effecting the battery conditions overnight.

OP should just replace the glows, it being a electronic controlled diesel.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2023, 11:01 AM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

Simple solution is having them replaced, should not cost you arm and leg.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2023, 12:12 PM   #6
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
Bec - I had a starting problem with my Hyundai i30 diesel. When the engine was cold (ie trying to start it for the first time that day) it would start, but not instantly like it should; when it did start, it would run roughly for several seconds and blow some smoke before clearing; if the engine was warm, it would start normally with no problem.

See the thread 'i30 diesel starting issue' which I started on 12 Nov. 2020. I was able to fix it myself by installing four new glow plugs at a much smaller cost than a Hyundai dealer quoted.
Glow plugs for his 2.4 2011 Transit
Genuine ford XS7U6M090BB - $57.64each
Aftermarket FGP-202 - $60each

I'd be going genuine with this one.
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post