Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-06-2023, 12:42 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Amarok vs Ranger vs Hilux

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...arison-141291/

Amarok has landed and many comparisons with its rivals have started to appear.

In the above review it really highlights how dated the hilux now is, or should I say, how far forward ford have moved the goal posts.

Hilux gets savaged. The fact that it sells so well is just a reminder that a lot of people don't really care about the bells and whistles, however the ford and vw have made a fair step up in the drive line department so surely that will start to sink in after a while. No new hilux is due for a while yet. Possibly as far off as 2025 according to the journo.
Having said that, it does the job, and i guess that's enough for many.

To the vw, to me they seem to have made changes just for the sake of it. Small things like cup holder position etc. The software they've used (user interface) is seemingly more complex as well. I guess they didn't want it looking like a ford inside.

I don't mind the looks of the Amarok. I like the Ranger too but the vw being slightly less boxy looking is a good move.

I think VW are a bit cocky with the pricing too. Dearer than the Ranger its based on. I assume they are chasing those buyers who want the badge?

Be interesting to see how it sells. They offer a few variations so if they can get supply they might go ok.
Old 29-06-2023, 01:57 PM   #2
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Amarok vs Ranger vs Hilux

Do your homework with servicing costs, I found the Ranger at the time when I purchased mine was best value for pricing, don't know now, but I would look into this before I buy again.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2023, 02:06 PM   #3
prydey
Rob

Actually just on that, Toyota are often the most expensive as they still recommend 6 month/10000km. Well they do for hilux. Most other manufacturers have long moved to 12month/15000km.

I'm aware there are those who still prefer to do shorter intervals and claim the longer intervals are purely to lower the running costs on paper, however history seems to have also shown that intervals can be done further apart, depending on the usage.

Those who pay the Toyota tax are difficult to sway though. Got to admire Toyota for that.
Old 29-06-2023, 05:17 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...arison-141291/

Amarok has landed and many comparisons with its rivals have started to appear.

In the above review it really highlights how dated the hilux now is, or should I say, how far forward ford have moved the goal posts.

Hilux gets savaged. The fact that it sells so well is just a reminder that a lot of people don't really care about the bells and whistles, however the ford and vw have made a fair step up in the drive line department so surely that will start to sink in after a while. No new hilux is due for a while yet. Possibly as far off as 2025 according to the journo.
Having said that, it does the job, and i guess that's enough for many.

To the vw, to me they seem to have made changes just for the sake of it. Small things like cup holder position etc. The software they've used (user interface) is seemingly more complex as well. I guess they didn't want it looking like a ford inside.

I don't mind the looks of the Amarok. I like the Ranger too but the vw being slightly less boxy looking is a good move.

I think VW are a bit cocky with the pricing too. Dearer than the Ranger its based on. I assume they are chasing those buyers who want the badge?

Be interesting to see how it sells. They offer a few variations so if they can get supply they might go ok.
Not sure but sense that Amorok will probably sell at about 1/3 of Ranger sales as there
are buyers who see the differences to Ranger as being a big plus and worth more, god bless them.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2023, 10:33 PM   #5
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

I have a new Hilux for work, it’s atrocious.

Be interesting to see how much they improve with the next gen because right now it’s probably the worst dual cab on the market (not including the Chinese/Indian makes).
Old 29-06-2023, 11:21 PM   #6
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

the reports I've seen seem to show the Silverton build quality of the Amarok is not as good as the FTM quality on the Ranger. This backs up some of the stories I've heard about Silverton launch.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-06-2023, 11:36 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Are any of them going to sustain a standard ride height, two door cab chassis variation?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2023, 12:35 AM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Unhappy Re: Amarok vs Ranger vs Hilux

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Actually just on that, Toyota are often the most expensive as they still recommend 6 month/10000km. Well they do for hilux. Most other manufacturers have long moved to 12month/15000km.

I'm aware there are those who still prefer to do shorter intervals and claim the longer intervals are purely to lower the running costs on paper, however history seems to have also shown that intervals can be done further apart, depending on the usage.

Those who pay the Toyota tax are difficult to sway though. Got to admire Toyota for that.
I don't particularly like their cars, the Hilux has always been second fiddle as a Thailand Special ever since the PX Ranger surfaced, even then I'd still question the Hilux over the older Mazda B series based 'Ranger'.

The Corolla and the RAV4 are crap cars compared to what Ford Europe was making (before everything got discontinued), they're like driving a park bench.

The reliability of Toyota, they've got a couple poor designs too, is it they're actually reliable or do their owners actually maintain them like you're supposed to do? Everyone can tell you horror stories of the absolute turd 1VD-FTV V8 engine in the VDJ79.

I'm one for their 10,000km service intervals as well, oil and filters are cheap insurance.

Toyota is king of the sales charts because of the reliability, they offer about 20 cars in the Australian market and the image of owning a Toyota - if you wear beige cardigans and play golf or you're Indian then that's the car for you.

If you actually enjoy driving and living life then other brands offer a better experience.

As far as the VW Amaranger goes, I'm somewhat excited to see the 2.3L Ecoboost version, that's a unique selling point in the VAGinator.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2023, 09:05 AM   #9
Swordie

The VW 2.3L Ecoboost is related to the Mustang motor. From what I know it has been a good motor for Ford and goes well in the VW.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post