Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-07-2023, 11:12 PM   #1
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default My observations.

Governments keep going about Traffic Cameras are about Road Safety.
In Melbourne's Eastern Suburbs two locations have had their Fixed Cameras removed.

Governments keep ramming down our throats about distracted drivers, yet why are drivers allowed to hang all sorts of things from their rear vision mirrors.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2023, 08:28 AM   #2
Dusty
searching.....

Default Re: My observations.

A Google search tells me you can be fined if those objects obstruct your vision. I see a lot of that too.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2023, 08:44 AM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

And yet car manufacturers can have giant touch screens as standard, blocking half your field of vision with all these bells and whistles annoyingly alarming you while you are trying to drive.

Give me fluffy dice any day.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2023, 10:09 AM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

And then there’s passengers! Another distraction.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2023, 10:30 AM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The law only matters if they decide to enforce them,

When was the last time you heard or seen someone get booked for driving in the right lane 30 under the limit?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2023, 12:15 PM   #6
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

When was the last time you heard or seen someone get booked for driving in the right lane 30 under the limit?
Why would they be booked for that? Unless there were some other criteria applicable, what you've posted is not illegal.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2023, 01:21 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Why would they be booked for that? Unless there were some other criteria applicable, what you've posted is not illegal.
Quote:
Keeping left

When driving on any multi-lane road with a speed limit over 80km/h, you must keep out of the right lane unless:

you are overtaking or turning right, or
all lanes are congested.

If the right lane is a transit lane, this rule applies to the lane immediately to the left of the transit lane.
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...rules/freeways

Yes there is, the fact people don't even realize it's a rule in Victoria backs up my point

There's even a nice big sign you'll see on freeways

There's also reference to obstructing other drivers in our road rules in our Road Safety Road Rules 2017

https://content.legislation.vic.gov....authorised.pdf

Haven't heard of it being enforced though, what's 'abnormally slow'? Id consider 20+ under the limit on a freeway as 'abnormally slow'given 3 over the limit is enough to get you a speeding fine in VIC.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 16-07-2023 at 01:37 PM.
9 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2023, 01:47 PM   #8
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...rules/freeways

Yes there is, the fact people don't even realize it's a rule in Victoria backs up my point

There's even a nice big sign you'll see on freeways

There's also reference to obstructing other drivers in our road rules in our Road Safety Road Rules Act 2017

Haven't heard of it being enforced though
I'm well aware of both the keep left and unreasonably obstructing rules, but neither of those are the rules they''d be booked for in the scenario you described before. A person doing 30 under the limit has the right to overtake someone who is doing 35 under the limit, for eg. And I doubt very much that either of them would be booked for obstructing. Have a look at part 125 2 (B) of the rule you posted for the reason why.

Again, unless there were some other criteria applicable, what you've posted is not illegal.

And for the record, a mate of mine was pinged by the constabulary for sitting in the right hand lane of a multi lane freeway when not overtaking, too. And he deserved it. Did it all the time. It's my pet hate and agree that it would be nice to see more people booked for it!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2023, 01:50 PM   #9
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
Governments keep ramming down our throats about distracted drivers, yet why are drivers allowed to hang all sorts of things from their rear vision mirrors.
I think you'll find the Vic government is very active in making sure people don't obstruct their vision out of the windscreen.

Remember this:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/vi...0-903cfccb3b4f
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2023, 03:03 PM   #10
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I'm well aware of both the keep left and unreasonably obstructing rules, but neither of those are the rules they''d be booked for in the scenario you described before. A person doing 30 under the limit has the right to overtake someone who is doing 35 under the limit, for eg. And I doubt very much that either of them would be booked for obstructing. Have a look at part 125 2 (B) of the rule you posted for the reason why.

Again, unless there were some other criteria applicable, what you've posted is not illegal.

And for the record, a mate of mine was pinged by the constabulary for sitting in the right hand lane of a multi lane freeway when not overtaking, too. And he deserved it. Did it all the time. It's my pet hate and agree that it would be nice to see more people booked for it!
Drivers have been booked up my way for obstructing the free flow of traffic, I congratulate the cops for doing so. (One of my all time pet hates.)

Driver who turn left from the right side of a roadway impeding following traffic as well as drivers turning right from the left.

We all know the type, slow right down, wanting to turn left even with a left turn lane provided and still manage to take up both the left turn lane and main roadway lane.
FFS they are not negotiating a corner in a semi !

That is otherwise known as impeding the flow of traffic, particularly more annoying when you are following one of these turds in a truck.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2023, 07:35 PM   #11
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Quote:
It would be in WA as you can get booked for driving 20klm under the speed limit in any lane on a freeway as it causes obstruction of traffic.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-07-2023, 07:56 PM   #12
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Governments keep going about Traffic Cameras are about Road Safety.
In Melbourne's Eastern Suburbs two locations have had their Fixed Cameras removed.

Where? Probably wasn't earning enough for the maintenance cost.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2023, 08:04 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
I'm suspect if they've been removed or they have been temporarily for upgrades to the new phone/red light and speed camera combination. The latest cameras are much smaller.

I notice the M80 cameras under the sign gantries and bridges suddenly became much smaller in size from the 1990s spec massive ones they used to be.

Same as the old red light/speed cameras on suburban intersections, used to look like a massive mail box, now they're 1/3rd the size.

Same with mobile cameras, used to have an external flash on them mounted to a roo bar well out the side, now they're all internal in the boot, no obvious identifiers on the outside of the car like the previous generation ones.

As far as police drama goes for various things, one of the guys I worked with as an apprentice had a heavily modified VS Commodore in mint condition, but it had huge wheels and was slammed, external gauge pods, Venetians, the works.

Defect number 14 was for 'obstruction of view' for one of those scented tree things hanging from the rear vision mirror, so the definitions are loose enough to do something about it should they want to.

They've just got a narrow field of things they'll actually enforce - until you **** them off, they pick and choose who they enforce them on too (lawyer X scandal anyone?)

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 16-07-2023 at 08:10 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2023, 08:15 PM   #14
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm suspect if they've been removed or they have been temporarily for upgrades to the new phone/red light and speed camera combination. The latest cameras are much smaller.
Yep have noticed some compact "gadgets" popping up, wasn't sure if they are cameras or not. This one on Dandenong Road in Windsor popped up 18 months ago, and has me scratching my head. Looks too small to be a speed camera, and its also pointing front on. They don't look like the cameras that catch mobile phone use either. They look like the flashes that usually sit beside the red light cameras, but there is no red light camera there.

Quote:

Same with mobile cameras, used to have an external flash on them mounted to a roo bar well out the side, now they're all internal in the boot, no obvious identifiers on the outside of the car like the previous generation ones.
Ah yeh...now they point AT you, rather than catch you after you have gone past. I heard those cameras actually have a 3km range, and can scan across 6 lanes at a time. But I know for a fact they aren't currently configured to that capacity here

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2023, 12:56 AM   #15
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://goo.gl/maps/nPFATATzJm7CrwCU6

In the link above does anyone now what the pole between the camera and flash with the overhead gantry with the two objects attached is for?
I am wondering if they are fixed cameras for Mobile Phone use.
This user likes this post:
Old 18-07-2023, 08:43 AM   #16
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
https://goo.gl/maps/nPFATATzJm7CrwCU6

In the link above does anyone now what the pole between the camera and flash with the overhead gantry with the two objects attached is for?
I am wondering if they are fixed cameras for Mobile Phone use.

remind me of the flash units at the red light/speed cameras down here.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2023, 11:17 PM   #17
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
There was a wet film Camera at the Intersection of Manningham Rd and Thompsons Rd Bulleen, on the South West Corner, I haven't been through that intersection for about 10 years, checked google maps street view looks like it was removed sometime between Nov 2014 and October 2017. The Street view image from Sept 2022 shows the Red Light Camera Ahead signs in on Manningham Rd before the Camera Location.

The Second intersection is Canterbury Rd and Middleborough Rd in Blackburn.
Signs up on all approaches and no cameras.
Old 19-07-2023, 07:56 PM   #18
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The Second intersection is Canterbury Rd and Middleborough Rd in Blackburn.
Signs up on all approaches and no cameras.

I think that one got removed like 20 years ago lol. I recall after they removed it, there was always a smash at that intersection as cars would run the amber, hitting cars waiting in the middle to turn right. I think they then changed the traffic light timing, and I haven't noticed any crashes or debris for the last few years.

Rides (past and present)

Old 19-07-2023, 08:38 PM   #19
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what are these strange camera things you talk about? why take photos of cars?
where I live the cops know everybody (that they need to know) we have 2 signalled pedestrian crossings and 1 set of traffic lights.
And possibly more B double grain trucks than big cities would see in a lifetime.

Life is sweet over here.