Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #61
kellyvb

Default Re: Ford petition for dodgy powershifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Traded or bought back via compensation?

Traded apparently
kellyvb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #62
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyvb View Post
Not long after the 3 month warranty ran out. Even then I thought it was normal the shuddering of the car, because it had been in for services and nothing had ever been mentioned.

So if you thought it was normal you weren’t concerned about it?
But now you demand a refund because it’s so bad?
Or because you jumped aboard the bandwagon?
Top_Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #63
kellyvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
With the VIN someone will tell you the history.
But you have the Log book that's good so did it have previous history of clutch problems?
Yeah, fortunately for me I was supplied the history on the car by the dealership.
Old 22-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #64
kellyvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
So if you thought it was normal you weren’t concerned about it?
But now you demand a refund because it’s so bad?
Or because you jumped aboard the bandwagon?

Mate I’m a woman who knows stuff all about cars, the car had been shuddering for nearly a whole year, and given I told my service bloke about this and it just kept happening I assumed it must be normal.....

If you’re sold something that’s defected that you’ve paid decent money for, that’s unsafe and mostly unusable you wouldn’t use your ACL rights to get either a refund or a replacement vehicle???

I’m sorry but I didn’t pay $16,000 for this bloody nightmare, I wanted a decent reliable car for my family.....

Also to add that this is the first time the TCM had failed on me in the recent times, all others have been clutch issues.
And as I’ve already stated the defected TCM is the worst part of the whole situation, YOU CANNOT DRIVE YOUR CAR! This was repaired in the last few weeks and it’s already stuffing up again

They haven’t been fined $10 million for nothing and they also don’t have a class action against them for nothing....
They are shonky, they give some great outcomes from cases and some nothing.
They tell you, once it’s been repaired and your case closes after being offered nothing just to open a case when it happens again and start the process again, HOW THE EFF IS THIS OKAY? IT’S NOT

I spoken to the ACCC, and I’ve spoken to the Department of infrastructure.
The ACCC are helping me and have made me fully aware of what I’m entitled to under my rights.
4 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2019, 10:30 PM   #65
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quick look in the ranger thread shows a fair few disgruntled ranger owners with auto issues also...
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2019, 10:32 PM   #66
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, fortunately for me I was supplied the history on the car by the dealership.
So whats the history?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2019, 11:38 PM   #67
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Actually they do, I seem to be repeating myself here, I’ve already supplied the link to the ACL page where it states the rights I have.
If I had bought the car from auction or a private sale then yes I wouldn’t have any rights.

And there’s been plenty of people getting refunds or replacements that bought the car second hand so I’m unsure on where you’re getting that information from.
Maybe join the Fix my focus closed group on FB, that’ll give you more insight
Aren’t your rights with the selling dealer though, not manufacturer??
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2019, 11:51 PM   #68
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

These transmissions really are crap. They are literally something that mechanics joke about while drinking on a Friday night.

A lot of vehicle inspectors flat out refuse to give cars with this transmission a "green light".

They are junk.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-02-2019, 12:55 AM   #69
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon Ford have burned themselves with these ****ty trannys which is a shame because the Focus is a really good car otherwise.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2019, 08:02 AM   #70
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I reckon Ford have burned themselves with these ****ty trannys which is a shame because the Focus is a really good car otherwise.
Yet VW got away with putting this rubbish in their cars.
Old 23-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #71
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai, Kia, Audi, Skoda, even Porsche. Can't be all bad.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #72
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
Hyundai, Kia, Audi, Skoda, even Porsche. Can't be all bad.
I personally would not touch a car with one, but I don't doubt that some are better than others. I'm sure there are some of these transmissions that work as they are supposed to, they probably cost the manufacturer more to source & this is where the bean counters would come into it,

actually , if anyone knows this re CVT transmissions fill me in as I have very little knowledge of them, is there a supply brand of these that are reliable & if so are they the same company that supplied ford theirs for the focus?
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 23-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #73
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
I personally would not touch a car with one, but I don't doubt that some are better than others. I'm sure there are some of these transmissions that work as they are supposed to, they probably cost the manufacturer more to source & this is where the bean counters would come into it,

actually , if anyone knows this re CVT transmissions fill me in as I have very little knowledge of them, is there a supply brand of these that are reliable & if so are they the same company that supplied ford theirs for the focus?
The Focus doesnt use a CVT trans, its dual clutch, a CVT doesnt have individual gears as such whereas a DCT has gears engaged via seperate clutches.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #74
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a great mate in Baltimore who is a delivery driver for Amazon . He uses a Chevy City Express with a CVT . He loves it. He reckons it's ideal for what he uses it for but as a family car he's not as thrilled .On I 95 (his interstate) it's not that impressive but on inner city use with lower speed stop start it's fine .

Having never used anything CVT or DCT I have no idea but it seems lots of people , not least Ford owners wish Ford had left these DCT's alone.

Are they the ones built in Thailand or from somewhere else out of curiosity ?
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #75
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

The only thing that gets more complainants about drivability than dct is cvt. I’d never buy either. I think a lot of issues come from a lack of understanding of how these things work and how they differ in operation to a conventional auto. People need to spend some serious time test driving these cars before they purchase them to really decide if they like how they operate and if it suits them.
Unfortunately cars today are sold on air bags and apple car play. Nobody considers how the car actually drives and usually only drive them for 5 minutes if at all.

Of course I’m not saying the dps6 doesn’t have issues. It certainly does. But it’s a great transmission poorly executed.
Old 23-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #76
kellyvb

Quote:
Quick look in the ranger thread shows a fair few disgruntled ranger owners with auto issues also...

Oh really, yeah well me not knowing a whole lot about cars thought I was pretty safe getting a ford.
My old car was a ford AU and it just kept going and going, I use to tow my horse float with it, it was a beast and so reliable... Ford Focus not so much lol (and no I’m not towing horse floats with the Focus haha).
Old 23-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #77
kellyvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
So whats the history?

Well I had no need to contact the previous owner until I discovered all of this, and the history is basically the same with the old owner as what I’m experiencing.
Old 23-02-2019, 02:57 PM   #78
kellyvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Aren’t your rights with the selling dealer though, not manufacturer??

It’s under the SUPPLIER & MANUFACTURES.

As FORD now have an independent case review for owners with these cars, that’s what I’m in the middle of now... The issue with this is that ford are giving extremely varied outcomes to everyone who goes through this process.
Old 23-02-2019, 03:00 PM   #79
kellyvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
These transmissions really are crap. They are literally something that mechanics joke about while drinking on a Friday night.

A lot of vehicle inspectors flat out refuse to give cars with this transmission a "green light".

They are junk.

Yep, JUNK is the polite way to describe these cars
Old 23-02-2019, 03:03 PM   #80
kellyvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post

Yes! I absolutely love my car apart from these issues, it’s a great little car.

Ford have tainted themselves with how they’ve handled the whole situation mostly.
It’s good when massive companies recognise they have made a stuff up and work great with consumers to rectify, FORD are doing the opposite
Old 23-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #81
roKWiz
Cabover nut

After reading this and the Ranger auto trans threads, I got to say give me a manual transmission any day.
kellyvb, sorry about your problems with it.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #82
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Ford Powershift transmission. Remove the "f" from the name for a more accurate description.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #83
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It’s under the SUPPLIER & MANUFACTURES.

As FORD now have an independent case review for owners with these cars, that’s what I’m in the middle of now... The issue with this is that ford are giving extremely varied outcomes to everyone who goes through this process.

You may find more favourable outcomes are reserved for loyal customers who buy the cars new and have a full service history at Ford dealers. This makes a big difference in how customers are handled. Even more so to customers who gave a history of Fords and bleed blue.
I’m sure you’ll say that shouldn’t matter, they should just give everyone free cars.

There’s no great mystery to theses transmissions now. Any dealer should be able to fix it for you given the opportunity. Are you giving them the opportunity to fix it?
Old 23-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #84
kellyvb

Quote:
You may find more favourable outcomes are reserved for loyal customers who buy the cars new and have a full service history at Ford dealers. This makes a big difference in how customers are handled. Even more so to customers who gave a history of Fords and bleed blue.
I’m sure you’ll say that shouldn’t matter, they should just give everyone free cars.

There’s no great mystery to theses transmissions now. Any dealer should be able to fix it for you given the opportunity. Are you giving them the opportunity to fix it?

Yeah but that’s not the case, again as I said previously there’s a closed group on FB with 3500 people in the same boat and there’s a consumer advocate in there helping escalate cases.... When people get their outcomes they let the group now.
It’s completely random, not everyone in that group who has received full refunds or replacement cars bought their cars new, there’s a bloke in there that bought a brand new 2014 sport and his faulty TCM caused an accident, he’s also had numerous clutch replacements and they are yet to compensate him.
Then a lady just posted today, she put in 10 cases all got rejected, then she put another in and wallah she got a full refund.

It’s a case of, they give you a pathetic offer and and the weak ones who have been grinded down and had enough take it, or the ones who don’t realise their rights in the situation..... Then you get people who persist to get what they deserve.

And if you have this magical knowledge to fix these transmissions PERMANENTLY then I suggest you sell this to ford and make a bloody fortune.
There’s recordings of dealerships admitting they cannot be fixed permanently, and ford themselves know this, otherwise why are our cars being ridiculously devalued
Old 23-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #85
kellyvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Ford Powershift transmission. Remove the "f" from the name for a more accurate description.

Old 23-02-2019, 09:41 PM   #86
kellyvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
After reading this and the Ranger auto trans threads, I got to say give me a manual transmission any day.
kellyvb, sorry about your problems with it.

Thank you

Maybe I should start practicing driving manual more around the city so I can actually buy one
Old 23-02-2019, 10:02 PM   #87
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:

Ill say it, if this is really fords mentality, then that's the most pathetic reason about, what cause someone has more money than the next person their safety is more important?

No ones asking for a free car, just repair it if it's so simple, fix the god damn thing, if it's just a simple fix, then that view is even more pathetic

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 23-02-2019, 11:20 PM   #88
kellyvb

Quote:
Ill say it, if this is really fords mentality, then that's the most pathetic reason about, what cause someone has more money than the next person their safety is more important?

No ones asking for a free car, just repair it if it's so simple, fix the god damn thing, if it's just a simple fix, then that view is even more pathetic

SPOT ON!!!!

And it’s not even just the people occupying these dodgy cars safety that’s at risk, it’s everybody else as well around the vicinity of these cars that are at risk, they are honestly a death trap and it’s just a matter of time. It’s not if, it’s when.

If we ask ford if they can assure us that these vehicles, once repaired, will be completely safe, like any other normal functioning car, and not keep needing constant TCM updates/replacements or clutch and engine mount replacements they refuse to answer that question.... THEY OUTRIGHT REFUSE. They won’t put anything in writing. They’ve been asked if there’s nothing wrong with these vehicles then why are they offering such extremely low amounts.... guess what, they won’t answer.

If my car could be magically repaired and stay permanently sound in these departments for a REASONABLE period of time, then I wouldn’t be asking for a replacement car, I’d be quite happy to keep the one I have now, because as I’ve already said apart from the apparent issues I love the car.

And Top_Ghia, YES they have been given the opportunity MANY times to fix my car, how many times do I need to have the clutch replaced or the TCM before it’s acceptable to ask for compensation ?

Everyone’s safety should be paramount and equal when it comes to this mess.
Old 24-02-2019, 12:11 AM   #89
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Does this result from Ford surprise anyone? They've got a solid history of trying to get out of warranty/recalls.

Ford Pinto - cheaper to compensate victim families than recall every car.

Ford Explorer - tyres exploding on vehicles, Ford blames Firestone, Firestone blames Ford, ends 100+ year business partnership between Ford and Firestone.

Ford Territory - Initially denies poor front suspension/steering design causing premature ball joint failures that cause loss of steering.

Ford Focus - DSG failures in both dry and wet clutch versions en masse, won't cover under warranty.

There's a member here on AFF called Yellow Festiva, me and him both bought new LV TDCI Focus around the same point, his was the DSG Powershift variant when it was only on the diesels prior to the LW being released - he had DSG issues and a failure around 60,000km and got the same issue about warranty prior to this blowing up big time a model and years later.

His was the supposedly better wet clutch variant fitted to the diesels, still failed, still knocked back for warranty.

They were absolute turds back then and they still are now.

Torque converter > everything else.

Most of the issue is we've got weak laws, we don't have lemon laws like other countries, like VW Diesel and owners in the USA getting compensation and VW owners in Australia getting nada except revised ECU calibration making the car slower, thirstier and devalued.

Kelly - unless you're prepared to fight this every step of the way, just fight to get it sorted at no cost, then flog it off and buy something with a normal auto.

One of my olds man's workmates bought a new DSG Focus and ended up scoring a new Mustang as compensation as long as she didn't talk about the issues - see if you can extort something nice out of them ;)

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 24-02-2019 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Shizzcakes
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2019, 04:34 AM   #90
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
SPOT ON!!!!

And it’s not even just the people occupying these dodgy cars safety that’s at risk, it’s everybody else as well around the vicinity of these cars that are at risk, they are honestly a death trap and it’s just a matter of time. It’s not if, it’s when.

If we ask ford if they can assure us that these vehicles, once repaired, will be completely safe, like any other normal functioning car, and not keep needing constant TCM updates/replacements or clutch and engine mount replacements they refuse to answer that question.... THEY OUTRIGHT REFUSE. They won’t put anything in writing. They’ve been asked if there’s nothing wrong with these vehicles then why are they offering such extremely low amounts.... guess what, they won’t answer.

If my car could be magically repaired and stay permanently sound in these departments for a REASONABLE period of time, then I wouldn’t be asking for a replacement car, I’d be quite happy to keep the one I have now, because as I’ve already said apart from the apparent issues I love the car.

And Top_Ghia, YES they have been given the opportunity MANY times to fix my car, how many times do I need to have the clutch replaced or the TCM before it’s acceptable to ask for compensation?

How many times? When? When was the last clutch put in it?
Give us the whole history of it.
You say many times but won’t give any details. You say constant repairs but won’t give us your vin number so I can verify your claims.
It certainly has been a long road for the dps6(dct250) transmission. There has been many many pcm and tcm updates, there’s also been a few different clutches, the latest of which has different friction material and is getting great results for many people.
There’s been recalls to change tcm strategies to make faults easier to diagnose. You’ve got a 10 year extended warranty on the clutch and tcm.
Name one other manufacturer that has put a 10 year warranty on similar parts?
How can you say Ford is trying to avoid fixing this issue? They fix them every day.