Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-07-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
Bolt
Starter Motor

Default fg cluster into xf

Hi guys n girls would like some information on installing a 6 gauge instrument cluster into xf SPAC please keep it simple I have multiple sclerosis so life is a fair bit harder for me. Hoping to drop a rebuilt 351 and c4 into my xf but I want all the gauge's to be visible without having to flick it from fuel, temp to oil, batt I've read that I may have to change oil sender and fuel sender but advice is welcome.
Bolt😎
Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2019, 02:39 PM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: fg cluster into xf

Not sure I'd be bothering with an FG cluster. Adapting it would be a pain, and I think that is all CANBUS... but I could be wrong.

I'd be inclined to look at custom gauge clusters from
http://www.dakotadigital.com/
https://www.intellitronix.com/universal-panels
https://www.speedhut.com/

Won't be a cheap exercise with the exchange rate.

I thought the S-PAK dash had all the gauges. Get the tach modified for a V8 and your done!
Old 27-07-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. Other than the fuel gauge and some warning lights you may find almost every other function is driven over the canbus network from the ECU or the BCM. It would take a bit of work to take the analog inputs and the 0 to 3 volt fuel gauge input and convert them to digital packets that the dash would understand and the 30 to 170 ohms resistance needed for the fuel gauge. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #4
Bolt
Starter Motor

Default Re: xg cluster into xf

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. Other than the fuel gauge and some warning lights you may find almost every other function is driven over the canbus network from the ECU or the BCM. It would take a bit of work to take the analog inputs and the 0 to 3 volt fuel gauge input and convert them to digital packets that the dash would understand and the 30 to 170 ohms resistance needed for the fuel gauge. Cheers MD
Thanks foxtrot I stuffed the script up a bit. I've got an XG 6 gauge instrument cluster which is one step up from the XF I was told by the previous owner it's out of XR6 there's a sticker on top of the cluster that says I6 at a guess inline 6 want to keep it original looking as possible it's had a respray original Atlantic Blue except for the dragway pro's wearing Yokohama 352's at 245/265 it looks stock I'm old school what can I say I was just hoping to get the taco recalibrated to suit an 8 but I guess not.
How do I change the resistance on the fuel sender? It's a carby leaded model. In it I will have a rebuilt mildly worked 351 featuring 4 bolt mains ( factory ) 30" over pistons crow 603 cam rebuilt heads for unleaded weiand manifold 750 holley and new valve train components and I'm itching to hear it run but being that I have m.s I can't talk or walk well anymore it's taking a whole lot longer to do this task.
Old 27-07-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. XG might be just a touch easier than the FG mentioned in the first post. You may get away with a change of fuel tank sender and the oil pressure switch as you mentioned. An instrument repairer should be able to do your tach and advise on the senders needed. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #6
Bolt
Starter Motor

Question Re: fg cluster into xf

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. XG might be just a touch easier than the FG mentioned in the first post. You may get away with a change of fuel tank sender and the oil pressure switch as you mentioned. An instrument repairer should be able to do your tach and advise on the senders needed. Cheers MD
OK thanks how do I change the fuel tank sender and the oil pressure switch seeing as I have a new one on there?
I'll take in to the instrument boys in welshpool they should know and do I have to drop the tank to change out the fuel tank sender?
Old 27-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #7
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is your XF a ute or sedan?If yours is a sedan you might be able to use the tank out of an XE-XF EFI sedan and fit the XG ute sender.If you have a ute you will have to use an XG ute tank and sender because the XG sender and fuel pump use a lot bigger hole in the tank
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2019, 09:21 PM   #8
Bolt
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Is your XF a ute or sedan?If yours is a sedan you might be able to use the tank out of an XE-XF EFI sedan and fit the XG ute sender.If you have a ute you will have to use an XG ute tank and sender because the XG sender and fuel pump use a lot bigger hole in the tank
It's a sedan
Cheers Bolt
Old 28-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #9
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Xg or ef/el are doable
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #10
Bolt
Starter Motor