Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #31
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: vFacts July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I can see RAM eating into Landcruiser Sales, Big Time..
Don't forget Toyota have the Tundra too.. though the RAM is significantly cheaper
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #32
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

https://www.caradvice.com.au/781285/...-in-australia/

Ram pickup sales skyrocket in Australia

Mike Costello
SENIOR EDITOR

Big and beefy American pickups converted locally to RHD are selling by the boatload, in a rare good news story for the local manufacturing industry

The Australian company responsible for the right-hand drive conversion and distribution of America’s Ram pickup trucks is demonstrating astonishing growth and battling to satisfy demand in a flat market.

American Special Vehicles (ASV), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sydney’s Ateco Group that contracts conversions to the Walkinshaw Group, has sold 1378 Ram trucks this year through its network of 47 dealer partners. That’s growth of more than 900 per cent.

This figure can be ascribed to the addition of the Ram 1500 petrol V8 range in mid-2018, sold alongside the larger Ram 2500 and 3500 diesel workhorses that hit the market in late 2015.

This year-to-date tally means ASV has outsold the likes of Peugeot (1297), Great Wall (788), and interestingly enough Fiat (1202 passenger cars, SUVs and vans).

To give further context, the 1234 Ram 1500s sold (710 of the $99,950 Laramie variant and 524 of the $79,950 Express) equates to 1.2 per cent market share in the 4x4 ute segment.

While that might not sound impressive, it’s greater than the 1183 units year-to-date the Mercedes-Benz X-Class has managed (1183).

The Ram 2500 and 3500 have managed 144 units combined. When you consider these behemoths are priced between $139,950 and $144,350, that figure becomes more telling.

Local appetites for these monster utes has exceeded market expectations, prompting the Melbourne production line to triple output to fill back orders....

The article goes on further. Click the link.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2019, 05:36 PM   #33
prydey
Rob

I find that article rather amusing. It's like a sales pitch and trying to put a positive spin on their sales. To make it sound positive they compare it to cars that don't sell well.

LC sold more this month than they've converted year to date.

Spin spin spin.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #34
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I find that article rather amusing. It's like a sales pitch and trying to put a positive spin on their sales. To make it sound positive they compare it to cars that don't sell well.

Spin spin spin.
To be fair Rob, you're comparing something (RAM1500) which has only hit the market in the last 12 months to a vehicle which has been around for over half a century, the figures are impressive when you look at it from that perspective, how many LC's did Toyota sell in its first year.
Were only in August and they've only just upped production, chances are they'll outsell many more established models by years end.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2019, 07:03 PM   #35
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Ford numbers for those interested.

Ford EcoSport 47
Ford Endura 219
Ford Escape 231
Ford Everest 462
Ford Focus 253
Ford Mondeo 26
Ford Mustang 262

Ford Ranger 4X2 318
Ford Ranger 4X4 2,850
Ford Transit Custom 156
Ford Transit Heavy 76
Ford Total 4,900
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-08-2019, 07:04 PM   #36
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez that's a good-news Ram story

"Ram Trucks Australia’s general manager Alex Stewart told us the company is still holding backorders despite the production boost, something delighting Fiat Chrysler in the US"

This is a massive country with a heap of space outside the cities, in a similar way to North America's wide open landscapes where these beasts roam. Absolute no-brainer here, great to see the success, great to see more jobs being taken on in the Aussie auto industry, well done all round.

Utes with a decent tray size, what a novel idea.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #37
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
To be fair Rob, you're comparing something (RAM1500) which has only hit the market in the last 12 months to a vehicle which has been around for over half a century, the figures are impressive when you look at it from that perspective, how many LC's did Toyota sell in its first year.
Were only in August and they've only just upped production, chances are they'll outsell many more established models by years end.
I did mention the LC because it was compared with that by another member, but the article itself is still just a puff piece. It's easy to quote massive percentage increases when a product is starting out compared to an established product. It just means nothing. Masters used to claim they were the fastest growing hardware store... Not really that much of a claim when you realise it's opposition are already grown. Where is masters now?
Good luck to walkinshaw and asv. It's good for manufacturing here, but it's not suddenly going to become a mainstream product.
They are a niche vehicle and always will be.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #38
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

Spin spin spin.
Let's ignore one of the only current good news stories of the Australian automotive industry and focus on the doom and gloom then...
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #39
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post

Interesting to see the drop in car purchases though overall. I remember growing up as a kid in the 80's people used to keep cars a lot longer, maybe we are going back to those trends especially now with 5 year warranties etc. For myself I used to upgrade alot more often when Ford were releasing new Falcons every 18 months or so, always wanted the latest and greatest, now I have nothing that excites me or makes me want to buy...
You've posted exactly how I feel, if by Falcon you also meant Territory in my case.

50 different auto makers with more choice than ever and I'm having trouble really desiring anything.

When Territory was released I was so excited, bought and read every review, saved up for 3 years and paid cash, and it's been a great car. Had all the traditional Aussie strengths - simple powerful drivetrain (I6 better with ZF too), handled, space, comfort, AWD, great open road tourer, cheap servicing, made here, made the country better as wages, development all spent in Australia. It had everything.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:15 PM   #40
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Let's ignore one of the only current good news stories of the Australian automotive industry and focus on the doom and gloom then...
I was criticizing the way the article was written more than anything. If you noticed in a later post I did say it was good for local manufacturing.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:34 PM   #41
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

To be fair it probably is a sensationalist piece, but it would be little different to when Mustang arrived.
Initially it was slow as pre orders and limited stock balanced out before supply evened up and it was readily available from the showroom floor, you wouldn't slam an article which highlighted its sudden jump even though its cause would be similar.
Whilst I get what you're saying, I don't think it really needs to be highlighted as most astute readers will see it for what it is.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2019, 11:52 PM   #42
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

If I'm not mistaken RAM sold basically the same number if units as Mustang this month. Not bad in my opinion for something that is basically built twice and like I said, it's a good news story for Australian (re)manufacturing regardless of the limited numbers.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #43
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken RAM sold basically the same number if units as Mustang this month. Not bad in my opinion for something that is basically built twice and like I said, it's a good news story for Australian (re)manufacturing regardless of the limited numbers.
Both vehicles are over hyped and really will be bit sellers once the sales stabilise
Old 07-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #44
hayseed

Quote:
I can see RAM eating into Landcruiser Sales, Big Time..

Sorry I should Qualify this Statement a bit better..

I can see RAM eating into Dualcab 70 series Landcruiser sales Big Time
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #45
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Ford numbers for those interested.

Ford EcoSport 47
Ford Endura 219
Ford Escape 231
Ford Everest 462
Ford Focus 253
Ford Mondeo 26
Ford Mustang 262

Ford Ranger 4X2 318
Ford Ranger 4X4 2,850
Ford Transit Custom 156
Ford Transit Heavy 76
Ford Total 4,900
Just retire the Mondeo and that embarrassing Ecosport already!
Old 07-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #46
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Ford sell 4900 vehicles and over 3/4's of them are Rangers.
God help Ford when utes fall out of fashion
Old 07-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #47
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whales View Post
Step out of Australia (and the Ranger)
The Ford F-series is 2nd only to Corolla Globally.

So yes it would affect Ford greatly if they fell out of fashion, but given so many are sold that's asking for a fair bit of market adjustment..
Old 07-08-2019, 11:56 AM   #48
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by whales View Post
Falcon fell out of favour and they were ready for it. Some manufacturers have more of an idea than they are given credit for.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:08 PM   #49
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Sorry I should Qualify this Statement a bit better..

I can see RAM eating into Dualcab 70 series Landcruiser sales Big Time
Most 70 series utes are bought by mines or farms. They are a workhorse that doesn't break. They don't have, or need fancy gadgets to work. They need payload. They need strength. They need durability. I don't see the bulk of these sales being affected.

I have nothing against RAM as a vehicle but I just don't see it stealing sales from other cars that are bought for a specific purpose.

If you don't tow a big van and you just want a big powerful ute, then go for it. Or if you don't care about weight legalities, it will probably tow a big van well also.

If RAM lift the rear axle weight limit a few 100kg I'd say it will sell a lot better.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #50
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:

You suggest we look for green shoots in a toxic wasted land?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #51
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
https://www.caradvice.com.au/781285/...-in-australia/

Ram pickup sales skyrocket in Australia

Mike Costello
SENIOR EDITOR

Big and beefy American pickups converted locally to RHD are selling by the boatload, in a rare good news story for the local manufacturing industry

The Australian company responsible for the right-hand drive conversion and distribution of America’s Ram pickup trucks is demonstrating astonishing growth and battling to satisfy demand in a flat market.

American Special Vehicles (ASV), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sydney’s Ateco Group that contracts conversions to the Walkinshaw Group, has sold 1378 Ram trucks this year through its network of 47 dealer partners. That’s growth of more than 900 per cent.

This figure can be ascribed to the addition of the Ram 1500 petrol V8 range in mid-2018, sold alongside the larger Ram 2500 and 3500 diesel workhorses that hit the market in late 2015.

This year-to-date tally means ASV has outsold the likes of Peugeot (1297), Great Wall (788), and interestingly enough Fiat (1202 passenger cars, SUVs and vans).

To give further context, the 1234 Ram 1500s sold (710 of the $99,950 Laramie variant and 524 of the $79,950 Express) equates to 1.2 per cent market share in the 4x4 ute segment.

While that might not sound impressive, it’s greater than the 1183 units year-to-date the Mercedes-Benz X-Class has managed (1183).

The Ram 2500 and 3500 have managed 144 units combined. When you consider these behemoths are priced between $139,950 and $144,350, that figure becomes more telling.

Local appetites for these monster utes has exceeded market expectations, prompting the Melbourne production line to triple output to fill back orders....

The article goes on further. Click the link.
Merc X class has been a complete failure. Remember at launch how much hype that got. Even made the news.

Ram is doing pretty good, but if you take those numbers Ford would make as many F series as Rams sold here this year in about 3 or 4 hours. Shows why they will never bother making F series in factory RHD. Just not worth the hassle of factory complications.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #52
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
. Shows why they will never bother making F series in factory RHD. Just not worth the hassle of factory complications.
I wonder why they were so popular back in the 70s and 80's here.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #53
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I wonder why they were so popular back in the 70s and 80's here.
What competition did they have?

And were they ever really sold in high numbers? I have no idea on what the sales figures would have been. But it was possible to assemble them here using a lot of parts borrowed from Falcon, and with local assembly tax credits and all the other incentives the government offered for local assembly. Plus tariffs on imports. So it was cost effective to do it.

Yanks aren't going to re-jig dearborn truck plant to build a ****y little amount of rhd's.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2019, 03:04 PM   #54
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
What competition did they have?

And were they ever really sold in high numbers? I have no idea on what the sales figures would have been. But it was possible to assemble them here using a lot of parts borrowed from Falcon, and with local assembly tax credits and all the other incentives the government offered for local assembly. Plus tariffs on imports. So it was cost effective to do it.

Yanks aren't going to re-jig dearborn truck plant to build a ****y little amount of rhd's.
Remember all the ambulances and police paddy wagons, not to mention all the F350 tow trucks.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #55
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the company doing Toyota Tundra conversions got the same government grants as Walkinshaw do for converting RAMs.
I wonder if they would be more cost competitive
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2019, 06:08 PM   #56
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a theory on Toyota reliability....I know some models have increased service intervals, but given the 10k or six month service interval, you would expect them to be reliable. That's an extra visit a year to the dealer to check the car and pick-up any issues before it becomes a problem. My son recently bought an 05 MR2 Spyder.......5k or three month service interval.
Mulga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #57
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Merc X class has been a complete failure. Remember at launch how much hype that got. Even made the news.

Ram is doing pretty good, but if you take those numbers Ford would make as many F series as Rams sold here this year in about 3 or 4 hours. Shows why they will never bother making F series in factory RHD. Just not worth the hassle of factory complications.
Curious to know how Silverado sales are going over at HSV...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #58
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Remember all the ambulances and police paddy wagons, not to mention all the F350 tow trucks.
I hear crickets.......... someone was building them RHD.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #59
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Curious to know how Silverado sales are going over at HSV...
On looks alone it should be hidden behind a curtain....
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #60
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I hear crickets.......... someone was building them RHD.
Not in the only factories currently building F series now. They build about80,000 F series a month. They simply aren't going to interfere in that operation by adding RHD production of say, 1000 per month tops.

They would build over 3000 per day. An extra thousand RHD would add a few hours extra production per month. Why would they bother?

Things were different in the 70's cause import tariffs were very high and local assembly came with significant government incentives. Not to mention the kinda important local factory to build them, which no longer exist under Fords control.
3 users like this post: