Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #1
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation VW Dieselgate

VW fined $125 Million by Federal Court, this is in relation to the ACCC action. VW have already agreed to pay $ 127 in the civil class action.

Also VW being taken to court by the one of the Australian Financial regulators over for allegedly breaching responsible lending laws in writing car loans.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2019, 04:02 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: VW Dieselgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
VW fined $125 Million by Federal Court, this is in relation to the ACCC action. VW have already agreed to pay $ 127 in the civil class action.

Also VW being taken to court by the one of the Australian Financial regulators over for allegedly breaching responsible lending laws in writing car loans.
Could be a Billion $ fine I just heard on the radio....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hang on ! I think that the law is not looking at the reality or emissions here and this is truly what counts, it's foundations are about pollution that is to be the truly regard here, the rest of it is just legality law spin that gets off the subject.
The foundation of reducing pollution over all should be what is at hand.
The standards are another thing again, that can be looked into and debated as well because now we have come to the point of a impasse.
Over all VW may be more advanced in pollution overall, that the standards have to catch up with them. I am not saying that they were but it could maybe.

I did not know that our ADR law was up to the standards of Europe in the first place. I think that the diesels pass regardless here. I maybe wrong.

I for one claim that petrol cars in Australia don't truly pass the standards of what is deemed to be an efficiency test.

If a car is most efficient running on 95 octane and you run 91 octane you have just reduced it's efficiency, their by creating more pollution than it should over all and the wast of fuel is a reality in modern day age, that is getting stricter on the depth in reality's of pollution.
When ADR27A came out this had noting to do with the extra fuel that such cars used, as such was not the subject of the laws, it was to reduce X Y and Z and as to using much more fuel had nothing to do with it at all. but now this is being taken into consideration as well.

People asked back in 1976 how can the new ADR27A truly reduce pollution when it used more fuel ? well most did not understand that it was only addressing pollution on a level that was being addressed at the time, not to mention that the test only works under certain conditions and that's why the HX Holden loss the 173 engine, because it could not comply under the conditions set, because she had to work harder than the big 202, but she passed in the lighter Torana. not to mention that the HX V8's 253 and 308 manuals did not have to use EGR only the automatic had to use that to pass the Laws.

And now we have many idiots who are intent to block the EGR off with modern day diesels. just as fools did back in the early days of ADR27A most fools did not know what they were truly doing and got no benefit out of doing such at all, in fact they blocked off the vacuum advance I seen that many a time good luck for fuel economy, I have seen that then you will go from 22mpg to 16 mpg on the highway.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Come on car companies fudging figures, I think VW were the only ones found out.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #5
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post

CAT got Massive fines, for doing exactly the same thing with their Truck engines back in the mid '90s..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2019, 11:16 PM   #6
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post

Wasn't the original fine about 75M and the Federal Court said that's not enough and upped it to 125? VW have cried all the way along with no contrition so it serves them right.
Old 22-12-2019, 11:42 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Highly unlikely. VW deliberately cheated the system. They all knew what they were doing, cause it was coming from the very top. They did what they were told to do to cheat the tests. No other company has ever deliberately chosen to cheat. Maybe there were times when it happened through testing error. But not a deliberate decision from the very top to cheat emissions testing.

Thats what makes vw’s efforts so appalling. They knew what they were doing was wrong, but did it anyway.

I know ford audited and double checked all their emissions tests to ensure they were 100% compliant after the dieselgate affair. To make sure they were 100% legal. They found no issues.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #8
5thFordWA

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Who gets the $120 million, when no-one in Australia has actually suffered any loss?
2016 SZ Territory TX 4.0 Petrol (6th & last?)(Sadly, written off)
2004 WRX (Retirement Toy)
5thFordWA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #9
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Far as I know they still exceeded the previous test, maybe VW was just trying to save the durability or life of the engines in this.

I can't see why they would just cheat.

But if one listen to the commotion one would think that such a engine was polluting like a 1960's tractor.

As to diesel in Europe I believe they have 2 types, one is for modern diesel cars ect and other for older diesels, and only use the modern diesel fuel that cost more and keeps the EGR ect cleaner, VW may have to change it's servicing adding more to the cost of maintaining this ?
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
Far as I know they still exceeded the previous test, maybe VW was just trying to save the durability or life of the engines in this.

I can't see why they would just cheat.

But if one listen to the commotion one would think that such a engine was polluting like a 1960's tractor.

As to diesel in Europe I believe they have 2 types, one is for modern diesel cars ect and other for older diesels, and only use the modern diesel fuel that cost more and keeps the EGR ect cleaner, VW may have to change it's servicing adding more to the cost of maintaining this ?
Came down to cost savings. Having the cheat mode meant they could run without expensive exhaust treatment like urea, and they could focus on fuel economy, and not worry what was coming out the exhaust. Probably saved a heap of money in r&d costs too.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2019, 06:00 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Car companies pay tens of millions of dollars each model to get their consumption and emissions down as low as possible. Light weight panels, alloy structural components, fancy transmissions with more gears, thinner oils, aerodynamics, tuning etc etc etc.

They bypassed all that come official emissions testing time by having an alternate tune that kicked in when the computer senses it was being tested.

If it knocked .2 or .3L per 100 off the official figure it placed them at a great financial advantage.

Old 23-12-2019, 06:02 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thFordWA View Post
Who gets the $120 million, when no-one in Australia has actually suffered any loss?
I thought it did also effect Aussie cars?

Wasn't there a payout made to each owner to compensate them for the difference in consumption? Around $1300 each or there abouts?

Or was that in the US?

2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2019, 08:35 PM   #13
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The gassed monkeys - never forget

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world...sel-fumes.html
Old 24-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #14
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

Wasn't there a payout made to each owner to compensate them for the difference in consumption? Around $1300 each or there abouts?

Or was that in the US?
not just consumption but more importantly resale..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #15
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Germans have to gas something, it's their DNA..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #16
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

Or was that in the US?

Owners wont get anything from this fine as it will go in government revenue.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post