Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
AU WGN

Default Replacement engine

Hi all.

I currently have a series 2 au wagon with the intech 6 and auto box which is on its last legs. I'm looking to replace engine something with bit more grunt but still some decent fuel economy as I do a lot of towing n highway Kms. Any suggestions nothing rediculas please not huge budget. Was looking at a b series 6 but havent heard a straight forward answer if it will bolt in and run easily or the au vct?

Any comments on these.
Thanks

AU WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
T3man
Banned

Default Re: Replacement engine

I have a 200kw 5.0L with complete with auto for $1200 if you're interested. Perfect for towing and will use less fuel probably than the 6 is now. I was going to put it in my wagon but ended up with a 220kw instead.

I think you'll have a problem with the B-Series because of the fly-by-wire throttle set-up. Not insurmountable, but a bigger drama than fitting an AU motor straight in.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres a crate tickford 302, brand new old stock, never used for sale on ebay.
220kw of pure joy, and will use less fuel than a 6 when towing
Murph-51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
I have a 200kw 5.0L with complete with auto for $1200 if you're interested.
If he's not I am - hemmuch without the gearbox?
Old 19-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the thought crossed my mind to repower as well, even though it still runs perfect, mostly because i miss my v8 and the old au has been my daily for 7 years(getting a little bored, and newey money just is`nt there sadly ) the thought of trying to comply with motor reg rules and red tape put me off repowering with a different engine.
just an thought, what about getting the old one rebuilt with a super charger and a tune, cost wise probably would`nt be a big difference in dollars between fitting a different engine and setting up your`s with a bolt on blower i would`nt think,.... either way you will have to part with some deniro.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
If he's not I am - hemmuch without the gearbox?
Honestly the auto is a freebee, just no point in having it laying around in the shed so it is going with the motor.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
I have a 200kw 5.0L with complete with auto for $1200 if you're interested. Perfect for towing and will use less fuel probably than the 6 is now. I was going to put it in my wagon but ended up with a 220kw instead.

I think you'll have a problem with the B-Series because of the fly-by-wire throttle set-up. Not insurmountable, but a bigger drama than fitting an AU motor straight in.
Geez, it'd be pretty hard to pass this up.
Old 19-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
AU WGN

Thanks for the comments guys and thanks for the engine offer T3man but don't want to go down the v8 road will blow my insurance and rego out thro the roof still being under 25. Besides only towing a race yacht that weighs 250kg with trailer.
AU WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Geez, it'd be pretty hard to pass this up.
Sadly, my SR has decided to go decidedly against the AU flow and develop a slow leaking head gasket.

$600 to get it sorted, but mate I'd love to go the T3man V8 option. Sadly, I'm not working at the moment and money is too tight.

Ahhhhhhh we can all dream though! LOL!

Hmmmmmm, perhaps if I put the wagon engine in the SR and put the V8 in the wagon.

Ah nuts, I should shut this laptop down already and go back to watching the tennis! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
TheSly1

hey mate, if you need another motor, i know a bloke\wrecker in melbourne who does cheap replacement motors out of wrecks i got one with 120k and its mint, not sure where in melbourne you are, but PM me if you need the details.

Mine was $300, so i did a motor change, new radiator and oils\coolants for about $550-600 in a weekend, my motor had like 310km on it and used a bit of oil, this new one is is very mint. i believe the kms so seems legit, he had a few others there with mid 150's sorta thing.

anyways goodluck with whatever way you decide to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Sadly, my SR has decided to go decidedly against the AU flow and develop a slow leaking head gasket.

$600 to get it sorted, but mate I'd love to go the T3man V8 option. Sadly, I'm not working at the moment and money is too tight.

Ahhhhhhh we can all dream though! LOL!

Hmmmmmm, perhaps if I put the wagon engine in the SR and put the V8 in the wagon.

Ah nuts, I should shut this laptop down already and go back to watching the tennis! LOL!

GK
TheSly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Please PM me the number. I'm certainly interested.

Cheers,

GK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSly1
hey mate, if you need another motor, i know a bloke\wrecker in melbourne who does cheap replacement motors out of wrecks i got one with 120k and its mint, not sure where in melbourne you are, but PM me if you need the details.

Mine was $300, so i did a motor change, new radiator and oils\coolants for about $550-600 in a weekend, my motor had like 310km on it and used a bit of oil, this new one is is very mint. i believe the kms so seems legit, he had a few others there with mid 150's sorta thing.

anyways goodluck with whatever way you decide to go.

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post