Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Default Another brake upgrade thread .. AU3 xr8

After reading nstg8a's thread i'm still not quite sure on the upgrade. My xr8 ute has standard brakes but i'd like to go Tickford premium all round .. how much bigger are they to standard and are they worth getting? .. Brembo's would be nice but not atm.

Also do the premium set just bolt on?

Does anyone have any they are selling? or while i'm looking for some, whats a reasonable price for a set worth if they come up?

Cheers Darren.

BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Another brake upgrade thread .. AU3 xr8

most people, inc myself, are looking at the BF brakes which bolt on but will require the BF longer brake lines from what ive read. This would be a cheaper alternative to a premium package and newer.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIK67
After reading nstg8a's thread i'm still not quite sure on the upgrade. My xr8 ute has standard brakes but i'd like to go Tickford premium all round .. how much bigger are they to standard and are they worth getting? .. Brembo's would be nice but not atm.

Also do the premium set just bolt on?

Does anyone have any they are selling? or while i'm looking for some, whats a reasonable price for a set worth if they come up?

Cheers Darren.
I have a set of the rear premium discs for sale ($200) - used but worked fine when removed. For AU2/3, they're a straight bolt up job and use your existing callipers and pads.

The fronts are a different story - you need the adapter bracket to fit them, and these are hard to get. Try Race Brakes in Sydney (site sponsor) - at one stage they were looking at getting some made up, but they also offer the PBR upgrade with roughly the same sized front disc and calliper as the premiums. BF fronts would be the go - rears need a spacer to fit, IIRC.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
MarkT83

Im running BF 322mm setup on my series 1 was a great upgrade well worth the $$
MarkT83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT83
Im running BF 322mm setup on my series 1 was a great upgrade well worth the $$
Is that fronts only? My understanding is the rears require a 3mm spacer, but otherwise bolt straight up to. How did you go with the brake lines (ie are you using AU ones, BF ones, or a hybrid?).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 04-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

What about the brake set in this for sale add ?

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11352686
Old 04-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
MarkT83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Is that fronts only? My understanding is the rears require a 3mm spacer, but otherwise bolt straight up to. How did you go with the brake lines (ie are you using AU ones, BF ones, or a hybrid?).
Hey JC I havnt touched the rears as yet will look into that down the track. Brake lines were upgraded to BF ones (had to go check my build thread on another forum lol)

heres a pic of the std 298MM AUII/III spec against BF XR8/6T

AUI standard

Upgraded
Old 05-01-2012, 04:47 AM   #8
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Just read FTG's brake upgrade thread .. mine being a ute is going to cost $750 for the fronts, $750 for the rears plus another $400 for brackets and crap ...
So $1900 for this brake upgrade? and that's when it was last updated ... I'm halfway to a Brembo set up lol ..

It's doing my head in
Old 05-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
MarkT83

Are the brakets for the rear because the front doesnt need them?

Hightek brakes have kits you could make them a bit cheaper if they let you swap out the DBA rotors and pads for RDA items and i think you get a discount if you join their facebook page. Give them a call and ask to speak to Cam I deal with him all the time always go there for pads and rotors.

Front $950
Rear $895

http://www.hightekbrakes.com.au/brakeupgrades.html

Guess I was lucky back in the day scored the fronts for $500
Old 05-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
CFOUR
The Destroyer

I continue to nay say the tickfor premos, I have them they are not great, go bf or brembo front+terry pbr rear combo.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
Are the brakets for the rear because the front doesnt need them?

Hightek brakes have kits you could make them a bit cheaper if they let you swap out the DBA rotors and pads for RDA items and i think you get a discount if you join their facebook page. Give them a call and ask to speak to Cam I deal with him all the time always go there for pads and rotors.

Front $950
Rear $895

http://www.hightekbrakes.com.au/brakeupgrades.html

Guess I was lucky back in the day scored the fronts for $500
They want the extra $400 for the rears as it's a live axle rear end not IRS so you need this extra stuff to make them fit - ie .. brackets etc, apparently it relocates the handbrake or something .. i read all 10 pages and just watched the price go up every page lol ...
Old 05-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
I continue to nay say the tickfor premos, I have them they are not great, go bf or brembo front+terry pbr rear combo.
I think i might just wait til i need new brakes and then spend the money .. i might be able to find something while i'm waiting, who knows ...
Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #13
MarkT83

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIK67
They want the extra $400 for the rears as it's a live axle rear end not IRS so you need this extra stuff to make them fit - ie .. brackets etc, apparently it relocates the handbrake or something .. i read all 10 pages and just watched the price go up every page lol ...
what are the ba/bf F6/XR6T/XR8/GT/GTP utes running look into them as they wouldnt have changed much at all from au
Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
what are the ba/bf F6/XR6T/XR8/GT/GTP utes running look into them as they wouldnt have changed much at all from au
I did a quick look at the FTG thread again and this is basically what your paying extra for with the live axle set up ....

"we supply rear mounting plates to suit solid axles , these are genuine ford ones of a f6 ute. this will allow the bigger calipers to clear the shockers
the rear kit is $650 and an extra $300 for the mounting plates"

But this was at page 5 and it finishes on page 10 at the kit being $400 & front & rear kits at $750 each and the thread hadn't been touched for awhile so who knows what prices they are now ..
Old 06-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

The FTG stuff is good but always a little on the pricey side, the ones I bought are an FTG kit but I bought them secondhand with minimal use.

I think you would find it difficult to find a set of Tickfords now and lots of people pay stupid amounts of money just for that logo to be on the calipers.

Brembos would be great but if you're like me its a lot of money that could be spent elsewhere.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

I'd be contacting RaceBrakes in Sydney. Matt will post to anywhere, and he always looks after forum members - I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a BF RDA setup to suit the AU front for cheaper than what's been quoted so far.

Then there's always the options of searching out wreckers for callipers, source new (RDA) discs, and have brake lines adjusted to suit.

Also, no real need to upgrade the rears - just throw a set of slotted or grooved (hint, hint) discs at the rear, and decent pads, and that's all you need. It's the front brakes that do 70% or so of the work, and that's where you need the improvement. ......Just sayin'.......

Old 06-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #17
brownieXR8

I've posted over in the RBS section, so hopefully once Matt is back on board he'll get back to us with something

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....15#post4062715

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
brownieXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Also, no real need to upgrade the rears - just throw a set of slotted or grooved (hint, hint) discs at the rear, and decent pads, and that's all you need. It's the front brakes that do 70% or so of the work, and that's where you need the improvement. ......Just sayin'.......
That's what I'm running in my AU2 ute (upgraded to ticky premo's in the front and standard AU2 rears with slotted RDA's) - and very happy with the braking performance.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #19
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top
That's what I'm running in my AU2 ute (upgraded to ticky premo's in the front and standard AU2 rears with slotted RDA's) - and very happy with the braking performance.
After a good bleed - IIRC, they weren't great when first installed.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #20
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

true JC; Now,with the ute fully loaded, (and she's been doing some work lately), the brakes still pull the ute up easily. With the old setup, it required a fair bit of effort and a lot bigger distance to pull up with a full load.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #21
BZINGA