Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default looking at sniper tuning for AU xr8. Who is the guru?

G'day,

Who would be willing to walk me through if i go in the path of a sniper flash tuning?
What are the major benefits that i will be looking at?

This is new territory for me.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 
Default Re: looking at sniper tuning for AU xr8. Who is the guru?

And the reason you have picked Sniper is.........
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

why Sniper Shaun?

If sniper is what you want, I know Bruce can tune it. Its almost the same as xcal except you don't get a box to take with you.

Consider also J3? Bruce has tuned these in the past as well.

Moates Quaterhouse is also another to try. Not sure who does this in SA though.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No reason in particular. Only that what ive read here on AFF people have found the interface easy to use from their laptops and have been happy with the outcomes.

Any other suggestions? I havent read much into the Capa flash tunes or wether you can use them from home.

Thats it. Advice totally welcome.

Current
Previous

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 16-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys
No reason in particular. Only that what ive read here on AFF people have found the interface easy to use from their laptops and have been happy with the outcomes.

Any other suggestions? I havent read much into the Capa flash tunes or wether you can use them from home.

Thats it. Advice totally welcome.
If you want tune yourself gear, J3 or Moates Quaterhouse is what most of the Windsor boys are using. Cheap to buy too. Gotta know what your doing but.

http://www.tiperformance.com.au/index.php
http://www.moates.net/quarterhorse-for-fords-p-199.html

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 16-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11323999

Or my build thread link below. But depends what you want to do. Do you want full control, partial control, or get someone else to do the tune like 'set and forget'
I have had Chiptorque J3, SCT, and now Moates Quarterhorse.
-Craig
Old 16-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont know anything about it. Im really just interested in learning, which is why i was after do it youself stuff and being rural with the closest dyno place being 200km's away. Due to lack of time commitments, it might be a better option to leave it till i can sit down with someone or go to LMG and talk with the fella there about tuning options and hopefully learning a thing or 2 in the process.

thoughts?

Current
Previous

Old 16-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I think Moates Quaterhouse is the way to go with the help of someone (professional tuner) who knows how to tune EFI cars overlooking your figures on your dyno. The program from what I have read is straight forward, but you need to know the parameters of what can and cannot be done.

Finding someone willing to walk you through the tuning basics is going to be the hardest part.

I would suggest reading threads, builds and other forums for as much information as humanly possible before tackling a project like this yourself. Get yourself well versed in the lingo, and read about what components do if set incorrectly etc.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 16-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

5.0 ED, has already got half a dozen QH apprentices under his wing, myself included, so I'm sure he won't mind another.
As blueoval has said, just read up, check out the Moates website, eectuning.org, and other build threads on here. That might help you with your decision making.
Feel free to ask any questions about it.
-Craig
Old 16-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for your help guys

Current
Previous

Old 16-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys
G'day,

Who would be willing to walk me through if i go in the path of a sniper flash tuning?
What are the major benefits that i will be looking at?

This is new territory for me.
Shaun

could be a long response sorry in advance.

I'm looking into this whole area too and have the following mindset:

1) Xcal - too dear, too limited in what it can do and how often it can do it. You are always going to be depending on a tuner to do it for you and that costs mega $$$.

2) Sniper - good but can still be a bit costly in that every time you change something you're going to have to pay for it. Better than XCal, cheaper but still costs $$.

3) Quarterhorse - the most flexible option of them all because you (or whoever you choose) does the tuning using your own equipment. Not reliant on flash boxes etc - just need a laptop and a few other bits and away you go. You can get started with the help of the more knowledgeable guys on here, then do what I am going to do and get someone else to help you tune the car literally as you drive it to be the way you want it. One off costs, no ongoing costs I am aware of and whenever you do something you can change it or reverse it if you don't like the outcome. Takes a fair bit of learning but still the most flexible way of doing things.

I am going to use QH on mine and hope that the guys on here can tune it for me, I will push the buttons but I need them to tell me which ones, and see how I go with it. The last AU I had I spent in excess of $2k on tuning and wasn't overly happy with the results - QH costs less than 1/3 of that and can always be improved.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's probably the basics of what's going to be involved, and the pros and cons of them all.
Old 16-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Shaun

could be a long response sorry in advance.

I'm looking into this whole area too and have the following mindset:

1) Xcal - too dear, too limited in what it can do and how often it can do it. You are always going to be depending on a tuner to do it for you and that costs mega $$$.

2) Sniper - good but can still be a bit costly in that every time you change something you're going to have to pay for it. Better than XCal, cheaper but still costs $$.

3) Quarterhorse - the most flexible option of them all because you (or whoever you choose) does the tuning using your own equipment. Not reliant on flash boxes etc - just need a laptop and a few other bits and away you go. You can get started with the help of the more knowledgeable guys on here, then do what I am going to do and get someone else to help you tune the car literally as you drive it to be the way you want it. One off costs, no ongoing costs I am aware of and whenever you do something you can change it or reverse it if you don't like the outcome. Takes a fair bit of learning but still the most flexible way of doing things.

I am going to use QH on mine and hope that the guys on here can tune it for me, I will push the buttons but I need them to tell me which ones, and see how I go with it. The last AU I had I spent in excess of $2k on tuning and wasn't overly happy with the results - QH costs less than 1/3 of that and can always be improved.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's probably the basics of what's going to be involved, and the pros and cons of them all.
Cheers Austin. I like no. 3.
Again, the only thing i didnt really consider was a lack of time factor and having someone with me. Ill inconsistently read info when it pops up about QH when people post etc. Once i get some mods in place - speaking to quagmire atm , ill look at it closer. Cheers for the run down. Good snapshot.

Current
Previous

Old 16-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Well done there Grasshopper, got it in one.

-Craig
Old 16-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakrz
Well done there Grasshopper, got it in one.

-Craig
................and I'm on the board!!
Old 16-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

I do data logging and get a retune for 200 dollars on the dyno using the xcal3.Sometimes 2-3 hours spent.

Is that too expensive for dyno time and a professional doing the work?
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #16
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

Simply put what takes the dyno tuner 2-3hours with the xcal, would take him less then 30mins with the quarterhorse.

So either way getting a "Professional" to do it or not, it would still be saving you money.
Old 16-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

The 2-3 hours includes road time also.maximum of an hour is used on laptop.Two or three hours and im out of their i meant.will include 2-3 runs and another 2-3 half hour later.

So how much would it cost the op next week for a custom tune using quarterhorse?

Def sounds like a nice tuning software the horse from the quick info grab i had online.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #18
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

You see its not about on the laptop time, its about datalogging and being able to tune the car in real time.

No need to turn the car off, to reflash and so on, just make the changes while the car is running on the dyno or road.

The how much will it cost him to tune it question i cant answer, that depends on the tuner.
Old 17-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #19
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Can someone tell me if MQ will work on an au2 6 cylinder?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 17-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #20
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will and does but you cant really cant definitions for it, to actually use it properly.

I have a definition i started doing, but i haven't got many settings or any datalogging at all done, sorry but i dont have one, so it just doesn't interest me.
Old 18-01-2012, 12:55 AM   #21
blueoval
Critical Thinker

No that's fair mate. i just wanted to know if it will cater for the 6 cylinders crowd.. if i don't go xcal I'll go j3 otherwise

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 18-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #22
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

J3 seems pretty reasonable all up for us 6cyl owners who find some of this stuff a bit confusing (like me )...You can get the chip, tune selector switch and a second tune (eg stock and performance) for $340 + postage...then you can always go to a dyno down the track to have them tweaked further...

Aside from the obvious benefit of being able to tune yourself with QH, would it be fair to say that J3 would be the best budget choice if you were happy with a 'set and forget' system?
Old 18-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #23
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I would say so Dave. j3 has other benefits over xcal too in the way of switching tunes on the fly without needing to turn the car off. appeals very much.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont