Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-01-2013, 03:21 AM   #31
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Wheels Magazine - General feedback on magazine!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
I'm a Wheels reader, not so much because it is a great magazine but because I like having something to read while eating breakfast before heading off to work. I used to have a subscription years ago but stopped it as I was only interested in a few issues each year.

I agree with most posters its become more of a performance mag nowadays focusing on hipo high price performance models whereas when I started reading it back in the '90s is was a much better all round car review mag. Still its more informative and interesting (i.e. not stuffy, boring, straight facts, they try and write a story in the main articles) than most of the other car rags. For those who think the writing is biased you just have to remember the writers are only writing their "OPINION" as to the quality of the cars they test.
No they are pandering to those paying them advertising revenue and backhanders .
Old 20-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #32
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Re: Wheels Magazine - General feedback on magazine!!!

Like the 4WD mags which are all about modifications as per the ads, interrupted by the occasional road test (as per the brochure).

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #33
Angeldust

all the older mags were better. they had more technical data about your average cars. much more coverage in the road tests.

Also, i don't really give a crap about the supercars either so dont like reading about them. As far as i'm concerned, they don't exist!! lol

I still occasionally buy an issue here or there though.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #34
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stopped buying and reading Wheels magazine about 10 years ago,,,im surprised that its still on the shelves,,
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #35
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A user here years ago said they stopped buying Wheels because it gave them too much anger and mood swings. Since he stopped buying their magazines, he's been as fit as a fiddle
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #36
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For those who have the current issue, I've just read Jesse Taylor's rant on page 40 over someone on FB commenting that we don't need 330km/h cars.

I'm truly glad that there are still some true car enthusiasts writing for Wheels. JT pretty much said what I would've wanted to say but in much better words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris View Post
In all sincerity what did you expect to read in Holden Monthly ?
I disagree what Wheels is overtly biased towards Holden. It's not exactly their fault that Holden has bought their inside front cover for advertisements since forever (I first started buying them in March 1993 and the inside cover had the ad for the VP S and SS). What are they supposed to do, reject advertising revenue?

The articles involving Holden have been by and large fair. The only one I've had a problem with recently is giving the comparo to the HSV over the GT R-Spec recently in which they spent pages describing the GT R-Spec's appearance as polarising.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)

Last edited by NX74205; 20-01-2013 at 09:18 PM.
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #37
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

" I disagree what Wheels is overtly biased towards Holden. It's not exactly their fault that Holden has bought their inside front cover for advertisements since forever (I first started buying them in March 1993 and the inside cover had the ad for the VP S and SS). What are they supposed to do, reject advertising revenue? "

No but you are supposed to maintain your editrial independance and integrity neither of which Holden monthy maks any attempt to do .

" The articles involving Holden have been by and large fair. The only one I've had a problem with recently is giving the comparo to the HSV over the GT R-Spec recently in which they spent pages describing the GT R-Spec's appearance as polarising. "

I rest my case .
Old 21-01-2013, 03:40 AM   #38
BP'93

If only they could actually change all the issues raised above. I even wonder if VF Commodore will even get a decent sized coverage this year and thats saying something.

Is it just me or is the orange colour used throughout the magazine look dated?
BP'93 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #39
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

The last time I bought any magazine was when the FG articles came out in 2008. Magazines and newspapers will be killed by the internet. Its a good thing, we dont need to chop down trees AND News Ltd's power will dwindle. YESSSSS!
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #40
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Back in the 80's had my poor parents would have to buy me the big 3 every month, Car Australia, Modern Motor and Wheels, I would hang out for them to come out, I would read them cover to cover 2-3 times (even the technical articles that I had no idea about)and could tell you details about every car sold in Australia even going within $100 of the RRP (I had a sad childhood), it's been about 15 years since I've regularly bought any car mag. I ocassionally by 1 or 2 before a plane trip for some readying. I don't beleive I'm a very fast reader but I'm normally done reading EVERYTHING in 1.5-2hrs.

The internet has really killed off interest in the car mags for me. There is less money to be made by them as a result. The writers haven't got the ability to earn as much and now tend to be freelance. So decisions need to be made if beinggood writers they continue in the motoring industry, when they can earn more doing less in other businesses. A lot of good writers had to leave for financial reasons, the majority are working for the manufactures now in PR.

I personally haven't noticed any biased recently (not that i read that much), back in the day, there was a lot more biased against Japanese cars compared to Euros and Aussie cars (the statement "lack of soal" came up a lot when they justified their decision why the Jap car didn't win a comparison when it was faster, cheaper and had more features).

Say that in a Holden / Ford Comparison and see what the reaction would be?

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #41
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I read a variety of magazines, Wheels, Motor and EVO are the regular ones.
I have tried TG AU but it feels as though it was written by a bunch of bogans.

I enjoy reading Wheels, I do agree though that their concentration on Super and Hypercars of late goes against what the magazine is all about.

I do like the in depth articles and features they have had of late, whether it is 50 years of Falcon, Peter Robinson's top rated cars, etc.

I don't see the bias that many here see, I look at the articles from a more holistic view, taking into account all aspects. I probably like the magazine more now because of the range of cars (non supercars) they do cover from all brands and markets compared to say 10 years ago.
Their comparisons are not just boring Ford vs Holden, but extend to other makes, so Falcon vs Commodore vs Chrysler or even Audi, etc.

Sure there can be some tidying up regarding some articles but you get the good with bad.

Motor on the other hand I believe has fallen by the way side, sliding into TG AU space.
I don't mind the tuner stuff but I don't want the majority of the issue covering it.
I do like their articles on past/present cars but I don't really like the writing style of David Morely, he seems more suited to TG AU.

Overall, I'll keep reading them, yes you can get info from the internet and I do but I still like to read through the mags each day over breakfast.
Old 21-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #42
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

BP'93, yes to your original post.

I have some old copies of Wheels and Motor and I find that the larger articles in the older editions are a lot more straightforward and to the point, whereas in the newer editions the authors waste a lot of time trying to be funny or too clever.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #43
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never missed an issue since 1988, and what i love most is the comparisions between Ford and holden be it base model to sports, but motor has gone down hill from 2007.
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #44
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I rest my case .
So based on that one article you conclude that Wheels = Holden Monthly?
Old 22-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #45
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
So based on that one article you conclude that Wheels = Holden Monthly?
That is just the last incarnation of over 20 years worth of the same . And isn't one enough anyway . They state the car is better but still give the win to another car based on " polarising looks " . Looks are subjective NOT objective so it is quite obvious to anyone with half a brain what is going on . Maybe we should let the cars go at it at Bathurst for a thousand kilometres and then award the win to the " Best " looking car anyway , going by Wheels logic .
Old 22-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #46
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GoAutoNews by John Mellor is the free e mag that does for me Sep edit out today.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 23-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #47
basteve
real aussies drive aussie

Only read it now and again but rarely. When i do i'm in a library. That magazine is pro Holden or German, Asian imports and IMO seems to degrade the Falcon and Ford cars. For that reason I don't waste my time on those mags anymore. Aussie Falcons are great. As long as you buy Australian made you are fair dink-um. Imports and Jap cars with Aussie flags on them for Australia day makes me think of ultimate hypocrisy. Our car industry and our talents to learn and make good cars is rubbished by those who i feel destroy the economy and livelihoods of those who live in this country. Motor magazine and wheels are such appalling traitors. Sorry that's how I feel. Australia is the best, so i cant rubbish it and what we produce. So I don't read rubbish.
basteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #48
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by basteve View Post
That magazine is pro Holden or German, Asian imports
I think Wheels does a very good job of doing well balanced articles and comparisons. I also think that some of us should take our blinkers off. Aussie Falcons are great cars, no argument from me there, but there are other great cars out there besides the Falcon and Commodore if people would just take off their blinkers and explore what other brands have to offer.

Quote:
and IMO seems to degrade the Falcon and Ford cars
They gave the Falcon EcoBoost a massive thumbs up. G6 EcoLPi beat the Berlina LPG in a comparison. Focus came second in the mega small car test recently. Focus ST came second in the hot hatch comparison.

As for

Quote:
As long as you buy Australian made you are fair dink-um. Imports and Jap cars with Aussie flags on them for Australia day makes me think of ultimate hypocrisy.
Seriously?
Old 24-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #49
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

" Imports and Jap cars with Aussie flags on them for Australia day makes me think of ultimate hypocrisy. "

It IS the ULTIMATE hypocrisy , no doubt about it .
Old 24-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #50
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Quote:
" Imports and Jap cars with Aussie flags on them for Australia day makes me think of ultimate hypocrisy. "

It IS the ULTIMATE hypocrisy , no doubt about it .
Is a Camry with a Aussie Flag hypocrisy?

How about Focus with a Aussie flag?

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #51
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ_Smooth View Post
Is a Camry with a Aussie Flag hypocrisy?

How about Focus with a Aussie flag?
shhh you might confuse them
Old 24-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #52
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

What irritates me is the lack of co-ordination between words and photos. Journo decribes something about the exterior of the vehicle and when I go to look at the photo/s there's no way of telling what's going on. Sometimes you've just got the back of some blokes head!

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #53
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
What irritates me is the lack of co-ordination between words and photos. Journo decribes something about the exterior of the vehicle and when I go to look at the photo/s there's no way of telling what's going on. Sometimes you've just got the back of some blokes head!
Agreed. WTF is with the photography these days? It sucks. The car is the main subject of the article, therefore photographs should also have the car as the foreground, not some dodgy outback pub, someone's shoes, or an old dude in budgie smugglers.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #54
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Re: Wheels Magazine - General feedback on magazine!!!

Consider journalistic hubris, your supposed to be in awe of their wit....might also be that there are almost NO bad cars, they're all well built reliable and efficient in what they do, it must be difficult to find a single defining feature that the competitor doesn't have.
Poor things are even forced to go to Europe to test a slightly tweaked Porsche in Spain in July...for them it's tough out there....

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 25-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #55
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
A user here years ago said they stopped buying Wheels because it gave them too much anger and mood swings. Since he stopped buying their magazines, he's been as fit as a fiddle
Hey .. I reperesent that I started reading the thing in 1969 and gave up in around 1975. Believe me ... they were Holden mags back then too.
Old 25-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #56
BP'93

They're not Holden mags anymore. Even Wheels doesn't know what its doing.
Old 25-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #57
zilo
BANNED

Stopped buying them all when they started sinking the boots into Mitsubishi manufacturing.

(same as what they are doing to ford and holden about now.)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #58
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I only buy the odd edition now but always invariably end up disappointed, not just with the outcome of some of the comparos (R-Spec v HSV v SRT8 for instance, haha!)

Used to really enjoy them, particularly many years ago when Peter Robinson was the editor; that was a long time ago! They even published a letter I wrote regarding the VC Commodore I had back in the early 80's!

I like Australian Muscle Car Magazine and subscribe but must admit it has lost something since Mark Oastler left and Joe Kenwright doesn't seem to contribute anymore either.
Old 25-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #59
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Robbo, that was a v long time ago, but then he was forces to base himself in N Italy, poor bugger....:-)

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 26-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #60
BP'93

Whats with the inbox section never having any replies from Wheels Magazines themselves. Back in '09, every question, attack etc... would have an answer.

The magazine has lost it, ever since the revamp to the mag in late 2009, it hasn't been the same since :/