Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Rodge
Banned

Default All New Ford Kuga Review

http://www.caradvice.com.au/226219/2...d-kuga-review/

What do you think ?

I think it looks like a great addition to the Ford family, with the usual good strength's of sharp handling and great steering feel but I am unsure about the "efficiency" of the little 1.6 litre Ecoboost engine.

Car Advice's experience of real world consumption of 13.7 L/100 km's against a claimed 8.0 L/100 km''s is enough to have someone wondering if the little 1.6 is really up to the job ? If its always being asked to make boost then it appears the ecoboost system isn't such a great idea after all ? Note the new naturally aspirated engine in the Mazda CX5 is rated for 7.4L /100 km's and i'd guess it would give a result closer to its claimed consumption than the Kuga does.
OTOH the diesel achieved its claimed consumption of 6.4 L/100 km;'s in the real world, go figure ?

What's your thoughts on the new Kuga ? Were Car advice a little harsh giving it only 3.5 stars out of 5 ? I'm thinking 4 out of 5 is warranted. Handling, steering and latest cutting edge technology, (some of which is a first in this class of vehicle and price point), when fitted with the optional tech kit appears to be core strength's and I reckon it would make for a good all round SUV in diesel form, (provided you frequently do open road running to clear out the DPF filter).

I reckon they should fit the 2.0 Ecoboost petrol, the extra torque would probably make the vehicle far more pleasureable to drive and fuel efficient too.

Last edited by Rodge; 25-04-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: All New Ford Kuga Review

my daughter said she would buy one except no manual in the titanium so she is now looking at a damn reno
Old 25-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Is the 8l/100 urban or combined? And was the real figure achieved the same way?

13.7L per 100 sounds like it was flogged to death to be honest.... who was driving it? Was it a review where they share the opinion, and driving between 3 people???

That consumption will scare many buyers away... there should be set standards on how to do a review on a car. Give me any car and I can get factory consumption figures or I can almost double them. Depends on how I drive it..... Which isn't a true reflection of the cars abilities.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
1TUFFUTE
Banned

yeah with figures like that im sure theres more to the story as that's pretty bad actually. Ill wait and see what some more journos get before I start worrying about the 1.6s ability. The diesel looks like it did its job tho and id assume will be far more popular anyway....great car
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ecoboost has disappointing real world urban fuel usage. But they are good on the highway.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Small turbo engines are useless for people like me who would always have them floored. Only for your slow a to b type driver.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Small turbo engine will have best efficiency when not boosting . That is why many companies use them to show low fuel consumption stickers. If small boosted engine is driven to perform like larger NA engine it will use the same (if not more) amount of fuel.
So with small modern turbo engine you are getting two engines in one. Call it variable throttle controlled displacement.
But there are issues with it as you can see Holden is upping their Cruze turbo from 1.4 to 1.6 and VW is rethinking their twincharge to simple turbo.
I prefer linear response of larger NA engine or if turbo at least 2l in capacity to still have some response off boost.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Is the 8l/100 urban or combined? And was the real figure achieved the same way?

13.7L per 100 sounds like it was flogged to death to be honest.... who was driving it? Was it a review where they share the opinion, and driving between 3 people???

That consumption will scare many buyers away... there should be set standards on how to do a review on a car. Give me any car and I can get factory consumption figures or I can almost double them. Depends on how I drive it..... Which isn't a true reflection of the cars abilities.
Its the combined consumption. As we know the ADR figures are obtained in a lab environment and involve quite gentle acceleration simulations and a lot of time in the test is actually stopped, simulating traffic light situations. This would be why a lot of car company's are fitting idle stop systems to achieve better lab results. But this isn't going to be how most Ecoboost Kuga's are driven is it ? (Typically Mum's are in a hurry delivering kids to school or soccer practice e.t.c. e.t.c.).

I'd assume the diesel was driven in the same "evaluation manner", (which I think its safe to assume most testers drive them pretty hard). My experience with turbo diesel vehicles is that it doesn't make much difference to the fuel consumption when you drive them hard, whereas if you get into a boosted petrol vehicle and start using lots of boost on a regular basis fuel burn goes up by a far greater percentage. Even so I am surprised by that petrol consumption and agree it will be interesting to see what other reviewers achieve.
Diesel definitly looks the better option especially with lots more torque and what appears to be the better gearbox but if the vehicle is nothing but a soccer mum's about town runabout, (which many will be) diesel particulate filter blockage problems will follow as surely as night follows day.

Last edited by Rodge; 25-04-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 25-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Sounds like they were caning it a fair bit. I think the TDCi variant would be the pick. But this car weighs something like 1600kg...this is the price you pay for shoving everything including the kitchen sink into it and expecting a small engine (bosted or not) to move it efficiently. I too believe that the 2.0 Ecoboost would have been a better proposition in a car of this kerb weight.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe not entirely relevant... but from experience with mine (1.4L super & turbo-charged engine), the difference in consumption between "normal" or eco driving and going hard is much more than what I was getting in a Focus 2L naturally aspirated motor. In effect, you can have the economy of the 1.4 (or 1.6 in the Kuga) OR the performance of, say, a 2.5L NA motor, but not both at the same time.

In short, as some have suggested above, the journos were doing what they always do on a test: testing the performance to the detriment of economy.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Twincharge was meant to feel like a larger NA engine as it s/charger boosts from idle and then disconnects through electronically controlled clutch and turbo takes over. Now imagine redlining it in first 3 gears s/charger engage/ disengage turbo kick in and out .. I know it works but it adds complexity - I would rather a big two litre in a small car ala original Clio Sport but even Renault are going turbo now...
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
I reckon they should fit the 2.0 Ecoboost petrol, the extra torque would probably make the vehicle far more pleasureable to drive and fuel efficient too.
I would agree with that. The 2.0 EcoBoost is available in the US Ford Escape. I don't understand why it isn't fitted to the Kugas sold here.

Likewise, the 1.6 EcoBoost would be a magnificent engine for the Focus, but Ford sticks with the 2.0 N/A engine.

Both are baffling decisions.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Boosted engines are also much easier to meet emissions regulations than larger NA engines.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
JG34JA

Seems puzzling to get such a difference in fuel consumption in the 1.6 Ecoboost Kuga, compared to the 2.0 Ecoboost Falcon, on testing. After all, they are similar weights...
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
I would agree with that. The 2.0 EcoBoost is available in the US Ford Escape. I don't understand why it isn't fitted to the Kugas sold here.

Likewise, the 1.6 EcoBoost would be a magnificent engine for the Focus, but Ford sticks with the 2.0 N/A engine.

Both are baffling decisions.
Because they dont sell a 2L Ecoboost in the European Kuga, which is where we get ours from.
Also Thailand dont currently build Ecoboost Focus', which is why we dont get them.

Make sense?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Boosted engines are also much easier to meet emissions regulations than larger NA engines.
That depends on the physical aspects of the engine though.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 26-04-2013, 03:43 AM   #17
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
Small turbo engines are useless for people like me who would always have them floored. Only for your slow a to b type driver.
I guess I used to believe that till I drove the EcoBoost 2.0 Escape and felt it pull hard at low rpm up hills and easily beat other cars.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

In the US, Ford has been very careful not to compare the fuel economy of the 2.5 I-4 with the 1.6 Ecoboost.
I have a hunch that the 2.5 probably gives more linear response but only slightly worse economy...

here you go, Escape 2.5 vs 1.6 EB vs .0 EB:

2.5 I-4 - 22 mpg city & 31 mpg hwy
1.6 EB - 23 mpg city & 33 mpg hwy
2.0 EB - 22 mpg city & 30 mpg hwy

Just my opinion but i doubt most people would see any difference in fuel economy between the three engines....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #19
Rodge
Banned

Thanks...which brings us back to the diesel which is obviously the way to go for anyone wanting real world efficiency. The extra torque would also make for a far more enjoyable driving experience IMO.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #20
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually, I would say the 2.0 EB is the most fun. 2.0 diesel you have low end torque and very good fuel economy, which the 2.0EB also has, but also has a lot more power to go with it. I was able to get over 30mpg on the highway with it. I know the diesel would be a little bit better, but it's not a night and day difference. Though everyone has their own preferences and Ford should be offering all of the options in all markets.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #21
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These should now be at your dealerships or arriving very shortly.

Why not review them for YOURSELF and not take what the media says as 100% correct.

Just got ours and we are very impressed.
Old 26-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #22
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Series 7 GTD Golf will be avbl soon, its out in Europe.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #23
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
And? Pointless post is pointless.

2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #24
BDA074

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post

Why not review them for YOURSELF and not take what the media says as 100% correct.

+1

Any photo's?
Old 26-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #25
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are starting to pop up on carsales with some having actual dealer pictures. Drive-away pricing is interesting from state to state, looks like some dealers are advertising full RRP and others are applying a nice discount already.

If the Trend had a camera and front parking sensors it would be a perfect package.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon the kick tail gate thing will be a winner, ford should put this on as many of their vehicles as possible, it would be useful even opening a sedan boot or hatch, yes its one of those convenience/lazy features , but it takes one more little task away when loading the vehicle up, could see other areas where this tech could be utilized as well. .
As for the fuel economy , its been my experience that whatever the engine configuration , if the engine is making x amount of horse power it will use the fuel accordingly, ie if if a little engine can make 200 horse power and you use the power it will drink the fuel like any other 200 horse engine, if driven gently it will use fuel accordingly.
Of course weight, gearing, aerodynamics, friction in drive line has a bearing on it, but in the end it comes back to throttle input.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #27
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post

Agree, only problem is, you cann't really review consumption yourself in a short test run. People do look at these reviews when buying a car to get as much info as possible. I know I did when buying my cars.

Only issue is, if the reviewer is bias towards a certain brand they may drive the car in a certain manner and skew the results.... Which, with the consumption figure stated above is what I think happened...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #28
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
And? Pointless post is pointless.
Not to those who are in to diesels for real world performance !

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #29
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Tested fuel consumption figures are not really something people should take seriously.
Driver A will drive the car differently to that of Driver B and therefore the results will be different. It doesn't indicate any bias (straw clutching at best).

Fuel consumption figure are far too complicated to be standardised.
There are far too many variables at play that can affect them (weather, driver, route driven, manual/auto, cruise on/off, etc).
Old 26-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
So the new Golf is an SUV is it
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post