Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-10-2022, 06:16 PM   #1
FroudeyBrand

Default Repair / write off / buy back

So, the AU was side swiped by an older man Wednesday and the damage while superficial is a scratch/ rub from top of RHF wheel to RHR wheel card, and I feel that cause the car is Ameretto (spelling) the can't simply blend the pain and would have basically repaint RHF, RHR Doors, front guard and RHR quarter section.

I know that cars have been written off for stupid reasons etc if they do write it off whats the go with the whole buy back option?
FroudeyBrand is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2022, 06:34 PM   #2
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Repair / write off / buy back

it depends on the insured value of the car, in the past it was if the repair cost exceeded a certain % of the insured value (say 60%) then the would pay out the value of the car and send the car off to auction to recoup any of their outlay

If you have an option to buy the "wreck" back they would assume the current value of the damaged car and deduct this from the payout and you keep the car

that's my basic understanding of the process I've never gone through it myself though others will be able to give a lot better guidance particular around the vehicles status post write off
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2022, 06:46 PM   #3
FroudeyBrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare ss View Post
it depends on the insured value of the car, in the past it was if the repair cost exceeded a certain % of the insured value (say 60%) then the would pay out the value of the car and send the car off to auction to recoup any of their outlay

If you have an option to buy the "wreck" back they would assume the current value of the damaged car and deduct this from the payout and you keep the car

that's my basic understanding of the process I've never gone through it myself though others will be able to give a lot better guidance particular around the vehicles status post write off
Sounds logical cheers
Old 14-10-2022, 11:57 PM   #4
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my experience rare ss is correct, although the point of write off depends on who is paying for the claim, the financial health of the insurer at the time and the condition of the car itself.

Your insurer will likely offer a lifetime guarantee on repairs, so if the car is a ****box where its possible pre-existing condition might cause more trouble in the immediate future they will likely write it off to avoid trouble. Mum's Fairlane was lightly damaged and I believe easily repairable within the insured value, but the body was overall in poor condition which I believe is the reason they wrote it off. We got $5500 for a car that would only be worth $150 at a wrecker for instance.

If your insurer is bogged down with a ton claims, like they probably are now, they will increase the repair limit. An old friend who was a AAMI assessor said they'd go to 95 - 98% if necessary. $500 here or $1000 there to the insurer could mean millions over a ton of claims.

If a 3rd party is paying for it then the the rules are largely relaxed. If someone else is paying, who cares really. Which is why it might be worth claiming directly with the at faults insurance. I've personally had more success getting what I want and a better result, within reason, by going directly to them.

But if it does get written off, just make it known all the way through the claim process you'd like to retain the wreck. At the point of payout an assessor will be in touch to discuss the salvage cost for you to keep it. It's worth checking at auctions what similar damaged cars are selling for, as that will be the salvage cost they will seek to retain. When you come to an agreement they will deduct that from the payout and direct you to remove the car from the holding yard ASAP, at your expense.

We decided to retain Mum's Fairlane because she'd just put $750 tires on the thing. The assessor started at $500, I offered $250 because he'd have to go to the trouble to advertise and transport the wreck to an auction house. We eventually agreed on $350 and I had the wreck delivered back home 3 hours later.

Couple of things to keep in mind, alot of repairers are running very much behind due to labour and parts shortage, particularly in regional areas. Dad was in a very minor scrape/bingle about 6 weeks ago and repairs here in Hervey Bay are averaging a 5 to 6 month wait. His car is booked in for 23/2/2023 for repair, even though its a 3 day job that's been fully approved.

If the B pillar has been damaged and the doors don't shut or seal properly you might have to wait a LOOOOOOONNNNGGGG time to get anything done about it.

Also double check if your state rules require the car to be put on the written off vehicle register if its a repairable write-off. If it does you will need special paid inspections to get it back on the road.

In Queensland if a vehicle is over 20 years old it doesn't need to go on the register. But if it does, or happens to, I understand you don't get much change out of $1000 for the inspection fees if everything goes right, then you need to reregister it, so add those costs. The insurance company will keep any remaining rego as cost recovery. Each state has different rules and costs, so investigate thoroughly.

As for the repair, most places will only paint the damaged sections and leave the rest. Decent repairers will at least blend large repaired panels into the large panel next to it, try to hide the repair. This is where going directly to the other party can be a benefit, because you can demand a better job than what the rules your insurer may offer.

The Corolla that replaced the Fairlane was slightly sideswiped at a roundabout 2 weeks after purchase. The ****head repairer only painted the drivers door and front guard (even though it wasn't damaged) in the wrong colour. They didn't paint trim plastics or door handle because the insurance company didn't pay for that they told me. The repair stood out like dogs balls, but they didn't care less. Took months of arguing to get it fixed. The repairer who got the rectification work painted it properly and matched all the other panels first go.

P.S. Not inferring your car is a ****box, just providing a measure of scale for the outcome. If the car's condition is good it will count in your favour.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2022, 08:29 PM   #5
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Why do you want the car back after it’s written off? If it’s to fix it and put it back on the road, just forget it. This is a road to poverty and heartache.
If you still want the car and want it repaired then insist that it is repaired and NOT written off. If it’s someone else’s fault you are well within your rights to do so. You simply need to provide a quote for the damage and send it to the other party. The insurance company may tell you that you need to take it to their assessment center but you are under no legal obligation to do so.
They may offer a cash settlement so you can get the car repaired yourself.
But never buy back a write off unless it’s for spare parts or it’s some valuable or rare model.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-10-2022, 12:07 AM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m likely hard-headed but will always prefer to repair my own cars - not replace them. Experience has shown me that most other cars comparable to my own, carry a level of niggles that to sort will effectively add time and cost to the exchange. Everything from mismatched fasteners to wear items that I’ve addressed in anticipation.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2022, 01:07 AM   #7
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Just go through the other persons insurance as a 3rd party claim, they will offer you a pay out figure based on market value less the wreck value and let you keep the car( Insurance company market value is less than actual market value so haggle with them), its too old to go on the WOVR, so you dont have to worry about it being a repairable write off and they wont deregister it.

They will only take the car if they can get a good auction price for it, not saying the AU is worth nothing but they will base it of scrap value which is about $400, its not worth their while to take it from you and auction it, it will cost them more in towing and auction fees than what they will get.
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2022, 06:31 PM   #8
martyal44
2010 G6E

Interesting thread as mine was stolen, recovered, damaged to front and side door and probably revved to the max and not assessed as yet.
martyal44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2022, 12:55 AM   #9
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've bought 3 of my cars back after they were written off.

One I let go through to the auction because the assessor wanted too much for salvage. It was a risky move, but everyone who was interested in buying it knew it was my car and I wanted it back and left it alone. Managed to score it for 1/3 of the assessors salvage price.

The other 2 I salvaged directly from the insurance company. It's not a difficult process, just let them you what your intentions are. In most cases you are helping them as it avoids their need and costs relating to transport the wreck and get it to auction.

One of them I put back on the road. Even after the repair, VIV inspection and reregister I made a "profit" over the payout. But that was long ago when VIV inspections were less complex and far less difficult.

If you have thoughts of putting it back on the road and it might end up on the WOVR, thoroughly investigate the requirements and costs to get it back on the road. I understand the inspections are so painful these days it completely turns people off even bothering, I suppose that's the point of them.

I know Top_Ghia said don't ever buy a write off unless its for spares, but if the circumstances are right and very favourable and you have to time and inclination to put into it then its worth a crack. But you have to be prepared for it and done you're homework to make sure you're ready.

Even then sometimes you're unlucky. One car I tried to fix wouldn't pass inspection (****ing ******* tight *** inspectors) and I got burnt. Still angry about it to this day.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2022, 02:51 PM   #10
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroudeyBrand View Post
So, the AU was side swiped by an older man Wednesday and the damage while superficial is a scratch/ rub from top of RHF wheel to RHR wheel card, and I feel that cause the car is Ameretto (spelling) the can't simply blend the pain and would have basically repaint RHF, RHR Doors, front guard and RHR quarter section.

I know that cars have been written off for stupid reasons etc if they do write it off whats the go with the whole buy back option?
I have done it with car and boat.

The boat I bought back for scrap aluminium value as it had a dented hull.
They paid out 20k for the hull and buy back was 3k.
Fixed it for 3k.

Bought at least 10 repairable write offs from Pickles auctions in Tullamarine.
30k car..auction price 2.5k..repair cost 3k.

BUT..all the hanger ons get in for a piece of the pie.
A scam called the VIV inspection to check if it is rebirthed..$600 bucks (less than 20mins)
Then a full road worthy, new registration,plates blah blah...stamp duty...
Thats another 3k.

But still worth it for the right,low kilometre car.

Just ask yourself if it is mechanically worth more than the price of repair.
Most times the stamp duty of a new car is more than the project to repair.

Oh..if it's 15 years old there is no VIN write off registered....

cya

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2022, 03:44 PM   #11
FroudeyBrand

So, got a message from the panel beater place "total loss sent quote to insurance agent etc etc"

I have intention of buying it back purly to recover parts that I will use on another vechicle as I intend on buying another AU possibly a ute this time around, and once done throw it up on gumtree I don't know what the enviroment is but a factory manual would either suit someone doing a conversion or to be used by driftor or who knows someone that wants to put it back on the road, its just annoying as a quality buff would remove 80 to 90% of the scratches only leaving a couple of deep scratches etc

just hoping that if I ask to "buy back" the anecdotes are true and sold as scrap value or what not and if so $500 is nothing (guesstimate sum lol)
Old 22-10-2022, 04:25 PM   #12
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroudeyBrand View Post
So, got a message from the panel beater place "total loss sent quote to insurance agent etc etc"

I have intention of buying it back purly to recover parts that I will use on another vechicle as I intend on buying another AU possibly a ute this time around, and once done throw it up on gumtree I don't know what the enviroment is but a factory manual would either suit someone doing a conversion or to be used by driftor or who knows someone that wants to put it back on the road, its just annoying as a quality buff would remove 80 to 90% of the scratches only leaving a couple of deep scratches etc

just hoping that if I ask to "buy back" the anecdotes are true and sold as scrap value or what not and if so $500 is nothing (guesstimate sum lol)

Scrap value on an AU would be pretty low. Probably $200-400.

I don’t think you have to accept it’s written off. You can demand it’s repaired.
*I’m not a lawyer.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2022, 07:45 PM   #13
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ohhhh... Factory manual, you said some magic words there. Your car has value.

When I was negotiating to buy back Mum's Fairlane and I lowballed the assessor I also said "I'm saving you the cost of having to transport it to Brisbane to auction as well." The assessor replied "given the value of the car and because you're in Hervey Bay we'd sell it locally from the yard its in. A local wrecker will snap it up quickly".

If you're adamant the repair is mostly a simple buff, then you might want to consider because of your regional location someone has seen value in writing off you car so they can score it cheap for themselves.

I'd be asking the insurance company for a copy of the damage report and quote.

I see full AU manual conversions pop up on the Qld Ford parts site for between $1500 and $2000 and they are gone within a day or 2. You have a rare and valuable commodity there.

If you're going to follow through with the write off and payout process then contact some of the big auction houses and see if you can get an average price for an AU wreck. Use that as the basis for the salvage and even then start low.

But again, if the damage is that little then it might be worth hanging onto, getting basic repairs done and going through the other drivers insurance. Or even small claims.
Old 23-10-2022, 09:19 AM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

If you have discussions with the third party’s insurer, they used to read a script at the beginning of it where they solicit your agreement to all decisions they take in the process. It’s real “weasel words” stuff designed to extract consent before people have realised (if at all they do). Of course you will be told the conversation is being recorded, note the time/date/person and clearly state at the outset, exceptions you propose to their weasel words. You may need to explicitly refer back to this.

I once made a third party claim against an insurer, who happened to also be my insurer at the time. That messed with their heads, several times I had to remind them of their limited ability to go against my instruction.
Old 23-10-2022, 11:51 AM   #15
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You've just reminded me there is a lawyer in Melbourne that specialises in motor vehicle property claims. Kenyon and Ahmet, i think there in Richmond these days. https://ahmetlawyers.com.au/

I've used their services once in the past and they deal directly with the at faults insurer. All their costs are covered by the insurer too. They just have to know first up that its a winnable not at fault case, then from there they handle everything at zero cost to you. And I got a better result than going through insurance.

They do practice in other states if the laws in that state are suitable.. I was going to use them for an incident in Qld, but it didn't work out. They are worth a call in these situations to see what can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I once made a third party claim against an insurer, who happened to also be my insurer at the time. That messed with their heads, several times I had to remind them of their limited ability to go against my instruction.
I once had an old half cab fishing boat that came by way of my grandfather. It was sitting around so I commandeered it from Mum and put some money into it and got it back on the water. New motor, new wiring, fish finder and all that crap.

My then housemate, around that time unbeknownst to me, acquired a hyperactive rescue dog and when the boat was parked in the backyard the dog ate the finder sensor and wiring, trim motor wiring and trim sensor. Was about $1000 all up at the time, a hefty sum.

So I lodged a claim with RACV. They were a bit perplexed about whether it was covered or not, but they sent an assessor out to inspect. So we're standing there looking at the damage and...

A: I'm sorry, but this kind of damage is not covered under the policy.

ME: Thats a shame. But I had to ask the question and get a determination.

A: Do you have home and contents insurance?

ME: Yep

A: This should be claimable under that policy, I suggest you lodge a claim with them.

ME: Oh cool, we're insured with RACV as well.

A: Blank stare with a "I ****ed up here" look

ME: Given whatever happens RACV will be paying either way, can you continue the assessment please.

Boat insurance paid out on the damage.
Old 23-10-2022, 12:09 PM   #16
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Was the dog a Staffy?
Old 23-10-2022, 12:45 PM   #17
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure of the breed. It was a black bitsa.

Bigger than a staffy, more like a Lab, but wasn't a Lab. Could have been Lab/Staffy/+sometimes/+something... Definitely had a Staffy personality.

Dog was too much of a handful for my housemate. He wasn't interested spending time with it. It ate the garage door soon after, so housemate sent it back to a rescue. Was there when I left for work and gone when I got home. Housemate was a pr*ck.

He then spent something like $400 on a Staffy puppy. He'd leave it locked in the laundry when he went to work. Poor thing was lonely and constantly cried. Someone stole it from the backyard soon after.

I'd like to think they both went to better homes.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2022, 10:46 PM   #18
FroudeyBrand

So update, finally got the phonecall from shannons car is 'written off' but due to being older then 15 years its not technically a write off, buying the car back for $300 and I can insure it third party only not fire and theft, unless i do the dodgy and insure with like aami or something and just state it has some minor imperfections lol

still keep it on the road until i can purchase a 'new car" but sadly finding a manual ute or sedan that isn't a complete wreck or fair to age ratio kms.....

so yeah I am happy with this outcome, cause if I can get a nice car for around 8/9 i'll put the au up for sale on gumtree as outside cosmetic issue the motor and gearbox are strong.