Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-11-2022, 12:01 AM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: The VACC wants the Victorian government to implement an annual rwc requirement for vehicles aged 8 ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Agree with safety check, I'm an early starter where I see the same old bombs driving to work with the same headlights or tail/stops light not working, day in day out.
Annual vehicle checks will help getting these things repaired or thrown off the road.
I bet we all see the same old crap boxes getting around our roads.
Cheers.
There's nothing stopping police handing out warnings for this sort of stuff either, they don't all have to sit behind radar guns at the very end of the overtaking lane on the highway
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2022, 07:56 AM   #32
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: The VACC wants the Victorian government to implement an annual rwc requirement for vehicles aged 8 ye

Quote:
Agree with safety check, I'm an early starter where I see the same old bombs driving to work with the same headlights or tail/stops light not working, day in day out.
Annual vehicle checks will help getting these things repaired or thrown off the road.
I bet we all see the same old crap boxes getting around our roads.
Cheers.
So get RWC done and all good.
2 days later headlight globe fails.
Drive around for another 363 days with a blow globe?
Shouldnt need a RWC to be told you have a light out i dont reckon.
I agree re the more serious issues though.

As i said annual RWC happens in NSW, you wouldnt pick it though. So many heaps of junk around.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2022, 08:53 AM   #33
Trevor 57
is now there

Many years ago I picked up brand new B-Double trailers from Freighter in Ballarat, they were going to be used in NSW, this meant that brand new trailers straight from manufacturer had to get a road-worthy on them before we could register them in NSW- seriously????

In Vict, all brand new vehicles are registered by the dealers
Old 09-11-2022, 11:22 AM   #34
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post

As i said annual RWC happens in NSW, you wouldnt pick it though. So many heaps of junk around.
But at least the heaps of junk have tyre tread, working brakes and lights at some point in the last 12 months!
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2022, 11:45 AM   #35
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when you see that white and orange vacc plaque on a workshop you know they are going to shaft you
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2022, 12:02 PM   #36
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It may come as a newsflash to people on this forum, but the majority of drivers out there have no idea how a car works its just something used to get from A to B. they don't get them serviced and if there are rattles coming from underneath it doesn't concern them.

It really surprised me when I came to Victoria that this wasn't happening, I see a lot of old cars crabbing sideways frosted headlights that wouldn't work etc.

are we saying because the stats don't signal out worn out vehicles with Road deaths that its ok to drive something that cant stop or you cant see on our roads?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2022, 12:05 PM   #37
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
when you see that white and orange vacc plaque on a workshop you know they are going to shaft you
There would be testing stations that do not profit from any works done on a car.
Old 09-11-2022, 12:14 PM   #38
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
It may come as a newsflash to people on this forum, but the majority of drivers out there have no idea how a car works its just something used to get from A to B. they don't get them serviced and if there are rattles coming from underneath it doesn't concern them.

It really surprised me when I came to Victoria that this wasn't happening, I see a lot of old cars crabbing sideways frosted headlights that wouldn't work etc.

are we saying because the stats don't signal out worn out vehicles with Road deaths that its ok to drive something that cant stop or you cant see on our roads?
Not as such, more so that it doesnt seem to work too well in other states from what i see anyway.
Im all for those types of cars being removed from the road/forced to be repaired thats for sure.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 09-11-2022, 12:23 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
No - thats Victoria Police's job to enforce that.

They already have an existing legislative framework in place to prevent this, they just don't use it.
Old 09-11-2022, 12:47 PM   #40
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
No - thats Victoria Police's job to enforce that.

They already have an existing legislative framework in place to prevent this, they just don't use it.
I think VICPOLs resources are stretched as is
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2022, 12:48 PM   #41
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:

In Victoria we have these wonderful people called 'Highway Patrol' their main function is to ensure our roads are safe and that entails policing unroadowrthy vehicles - my mate is a HWP officer and was a 24 year full time car mechanic before his career change. I trust that he (and his colleagues) will do a good job of keeping these cars off the road.

Also, did you note that NSW stats on fatalities compared to Victoria - there is NO relationship between unroadworthy vehicles and road deaths. NSW has more road deaths and they have compulsory roadworthies

Have you reported these vehicles to the authorities when you have seen them, or do you just wait and vocalise on a public forum?
Old 09-11-2022, 12:54 PM   #42
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not as such, more so that it doesnt seem to work too well in other states from what i see anyway.
Im all for those types of cars being removed from the road/forced to be repaired thats for sure.
Just asking because I don't have the details but if a drunk kills himself driving his old AU into a tree over the speed limit, how do we as public know his headlights didn't work or his handbrake is non existent because the pads haven't been looked at in 10 years.
do they record those details for us to see?

In reality most of these cars would have non fatal accidents, like loosing it in the wet around a roundabout and clogging the roads up during rush hour etc
This user likes this post:
Old 09-11-2022, 01:14 PM   #43
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
In Victoria we have these wonderful people called 'Highway Patrol' their main function is to ensure our roads are safe and that entails policing unroadowrthy vehicles - my mate is a HWP officer and was a 24 year full time car mechanic before his career change. I trust that he (and his colleagues) will do a good job of keeping these cars off the road.

Also, did you note that NSW stats on fatalities compared to Victoria - there is NO relationship between unroadworthy vehicles and road deaths. NSW has more road deaths and they have compulsory roadworthies

Have you reported these vehicles to the authorities when you have seen them, or do you just wait and vocalise on a public forum?
I rarely see HWP cars these days, maybe ask you mate if they have cut back numbers?
Old 09-11-2022, 01:15 PM   #44
hayseed

Quote:
Many years ago I picked up brand new B-Double trailers from Freighter in Ballarat, they were going to be used in NSW, this meant that brand new trailers straight from manufacturer had to get a road-worthy on them before we could register them in NSW- seriously????

In Vict, all brand new vehicles are registered by the dealers
Not any more Trev...

https://roads-waterways.transport.ns...-trailers.html
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2022, 01:26 PM   #45
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Just asking because I don't have the details but if a drunk kills himself driving his old AU into a tree over the speed limit, how do we as public know his headlights didn't work or his handbrake is non existent because the pads haven't been looked at in 10 years.
if the accident is serious enough they will do a full vehicle check post accident to check if the vehicle contributed to the death
Old 09-11-2022, 01:27 PM   #46
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
I rarely see HWP cars these days, maybe ask you mate if they have cut back numbers?
I love regionally and see them all the time
Old 09-11-2022, 01:28 PM   #47
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
about time, but it does say 'recently'. I am talking about 1998 or 1999, so the changes have taken a while to come into play
Old 09-11-2022, 01:30 PM   #48
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if the accident is serious enough they will do a full vehicle check post accident to check if the vehicle contributed to the death
I'm sure they do, but do we as the public see that? if speed was the contributing factor I recon they would only record it as that.

kind of like deaths being recorded as Covid, despite having cancer treatment (lets not digress on that)
Old 09-11-2022, 02:22 PM   #49
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

In reality most of these cars would have non fatal accidents, like loosing it in the wet around a roundabout and clogging the roads up during rush hour etc
From my experience most drivers of older vehicles know they may not be 100% and drive them accordingly.By far the biggest number of road crashes involve good,roadworthy,newer vehicles.If we can get drivers up to a roadworthy standard the crash problem will be solved
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2022, 02:24 PM   #50
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I think VICPOLs resources are stretched as is
You had me fooled over the last two years
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2022, 02:27 PM   #51
tbro4123

Phoneworthys will do a roaring trade if it comes in.
tbro4123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2022, 03:26 PM   #52
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
So get RWC done and all good.
2 days later headlight globe fails.
Drive around for another 363 days with a blow globe?
Shouldnt need a RWC to be told you have a light out i dont reckon.
I agree re the more serious issues though.

My comment was initially for a regular inspection not an RWC but we all know it is not a perfect system, but at least some proactive action is being done to combat unroadworthy vehicles on our roads.
To all the naysayers who are against regular inspections don't whinge when your pride and joy gets cleaned up by some moron in a S*** box, has happened twice to me with no compensation from the uninsured and left out of pocket.
IMO proactive action is better than reactive action.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2022, 03:33 PM   #53
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
My comment was initially for a regular inspection not an RWC but we all know it is not a perfect system, but at least some proactive action is being done to combat unroadworthy vehicles on our roads.
To all the naysayers who are against regular inspections don't whinge when your pride and joy gets cleaned up by some moron in a S*** box, has happened twice to me with no compensation from the uninsured and left out of pocket.
Oh im not against it.
I just feel that it doesnt work all that well considering the amount of junk heaps on the road.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 09-11-2022, 03:54 PM   #54
.:4:.
Kicking back

Thing is, a rego inspection is a fixed price so mechanics make little to no money off it. Thats why its not uncommen for a drop of the brake tester and away you go. In nsw, for an inspection, lights are supposed to be checked, tyres inspected, car on a lift running for 5 minutes or so to make sure no leaks.
So for the mechanic, its taking time and theyre not making a profit. However, an i may be wrong about this one. If a car is failed. You can use whoever you choose to fix it, but the mechanic who failed the car is the one who has to pass it. Maybe its just canarys but i think its along the lines of not just finding a dodgy person who will if the car already failed.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2022, 04:27 PM   #55
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Thing is, a rego inspection is a fixed price so mechanics make little to no money off it. Thats why its not uncommen for a drop of the brake tester and away you go. In nsw, for an inspection, lights are supposed to be checked, tyres inspected, car on a lift running for 5 minutes or so to make sure no leaks.
So for the mechanic, its taking time and theyre not making a profit. However, an i may be wrong about this one. If a car is failed. You can use whoever you choose to fix it, but the mechanic who failed the car is the one who has to pass it. Maybe its just canarys but i think its along the lines of not just finding a dodgy person who will if the car already failed.
In the big picture the mechanic doesn't have to put it on the hoist.....
Regularly check that your windscreen wipers and washers, horn and seatbelts are working.

Check your lights are working, including headlights, brake lights and indicators. You must not drive at night if your lights are not working.

Your tyres (including the spare) must be in good condition. They must not be smooth and must have a tread at least 1.5mm deep. They must be inflated to the recommended pressure, and must not have any cracks or bumps or be worn unevenly.

They give a glancing eye to panels/check, open close doors and for obvious rust.

Just depends how the car presents AND do a brake distance test.
$46 bucks now.
They do make some money on the neglected cars, new tyres fitted or brakes just varies each and every car.
They call the customer and report the findings, as long as you haven't left it at the last minute, like everything you can get a 2nd or 3rd opinion.
No big deal.

I think its a good thing in the big picture but we used to it in NSW.
You guys here are enthusiasts and all, ofcourse your cars/family ones are in good order BUT the majority Mr/Mrs Joe Average its point A to B.
They only fix when broke/groan or speak.
All the biz travel I have done Qld is like seeing re runs of Flintstones especially FNQ some years ago.
You know Fred/Barney slamming their feet on the floor/ground to brake, the rust buckets there are horrendous.
We may have some bogeys Regionally but you hardly get away with it in metro, anyway whats wrong making sure joe average and all have good tyres/brakes etc.....working as they should be.
Its just common sense, we're not in the 60/70/80's anymore.

and the stoopid mention by Govco road worthys save lives ? BS, they should be saying its for all commmunities safeties sake and peace of mind.
We all know brakes/tyres in good order and operation helps us to control our vehicles for the better, especially the wet.
These donkeys with near on bald tyre or 2, brake pedals going that extra 1 2"s and they are not drivers in the first place.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2022, 04:38 PM   #56
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How would your circumstance been different if the s- box had been inspected a few days/ months earlier.An inspection doesn’t mean it would have been insured.I guess I must have missed something in the translation

Last edited by Tassie f100; 09-11-2022 at 04:59 PM.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2022, 04:52 PM   #57
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
From my experience most drivers of older vehicles know they may not be 100% and drive them accordingly.By far the biggest number of road crashes involve good,roadworthy,newer vehicles.If we can get drivers up to a roadworthy standard the crash problem will be solved
Agree with that, & if I were in charge i would make defensive driving as pat of getting a full licence.
but if the majority of accidents involve newer vehicles, that's simple math/odds
Old 09-11-2022, 05:10 PM   #58
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
From my experience most drivers of older vehicles know they may not be 100% and drive them accordingly. By far the biggest number of road crashes involve good, roadworthy, newer vehicles. If we can get drivers up to a roadworthy standard the crash problem will be solved
I watch the TV news a fair bit and I can tell you almost EVERY time they show a fatal car accident, very rarely it is an old car, generally newer Falcons and Commodores with the odd Asian import
Old 09-11-2022, 05:33 PM   #59
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
I'm sure they do, but do we as the public see that?
why would you expect to see that, if you are the family of the deceased you will probably witness all the gory details at the Coroners Inquest

I was an 'expert witness' in a court case for a triple fatality many years ago, I was the 'offending truck driver' in a re-enactment of the accident and there ain't much joy in there I can tell you
Old 09-11-2022, 07:04 PM   #60
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
How would your circumstance been different if the s- box had been inspected a few days/ months earlier.An inspection doesn’t mean it would have been insured.I guess I must have missed something in the translation
Had a pos slam his brakes on with no tail/brake lights working, no warning and time to react.
Circumstance could have been different if they were working.
As I stated proactive action is better than reactive action but each to their own.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post