Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-11-2022, 08:05 PM   #61
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The VACC wants the Victorian government to implement an annual rwc requirement for vehicles aged 8 ye

Really the VACC isn’t overly interested in road safety.rather they are trying to drum up business for their members.As a big body they will know who ears to blow into.Bit like Stat writeoffs in the repair industry.The manufacturers got into the right ears to virtually make any damaged vehicle a stat write off because repairable write offs were eating into their new car sales
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2022, 10:08 AM   #62
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The VACC wants the Victorian government to implement an annual rwc requirement for vehicles aged 8 ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
why would you expect to see that, if you are the family of the deceased you will probably witness all the gory details at the Coroners Inquest

I was an 'expert witness' in a court case for a triple fatality many years ago, I was the 'offending truck driver' in a re-enactment of the accident and there ain't much joy in there I can tell you
what are you talking about? I said nothing of Gory details.

People are claiming the stats for fatal car accidents are not put down to car defects.

I would like to see where they are getting this data.. or is this just assumptions
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2022, 06:05 PM   #63
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
what are you talking about? I said nothing of Gory details.

People are claiming the stats for fatal car accidents are not put down to car defects.

I would like to see where they are getting this data.. or is this just assumptions
ring the Police I am sure they will help you - https://www.police.vic.gov.au/road-safety-0

or read this - https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/road-safe...tics/summaries

or this - https://www.qbe.com/au/news/the-most...-car-accidents

or this - https://www.budgetdirect.com.au/car-...tatistics.html

or this - https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...ash-statistics
Old 10-11-2022, 06:28 PM   #64
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I just had a quick skim over the links thatTrevor posted,and Unless I missed something there didn’t appear to be a single mention about unroadworthy vehicles contributing to the road toll or crash rate.
This user likes this post:
Old 10-11-2022, 07:50 PM   #65
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Bugger. My Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres which were fitted to the car when built and have covered 60,000km now look like hand cut racings slicks. The dealer told me they need to be changed at 30,000km and I said no thanks because the tyres were still legal. They said the same at 45,000km and were right but I said I'd get back to them. Getting new boots next week. Greta Thunberg would be pleased I am producing less rubbish.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2022, 02:49 AM   #66
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Well I just had a quick skim over the links thatTrevor posted,and Unless I missed something there didn’t appear to be a single mention about unroadworthy vehicles contributing to the road toll or crash rate.
Funny that

Do you think I need to provide some more links just in case we need more confirmation
Old 11-11-2022, 10:04 AM   #67
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Yes it just confirms its not something they list in any public reports.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:18 AM   #68
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did read a paper from Monash University on the effects of roadworthiness on Vehicle Crashes, and even that doesn't give any definitive answers

My point its its not that easy to find whereas Im quite certain people have posted above based on assumptions and not reading any reports.

Quote from the report I found:
Contribution of defects to crashes
Studies of crashed vehicles have shown that defects contribute directly or substantially from
around 3% to 19%, with the more robust studies indicating at least 6%. Common defects
identified relate to brakes and tyres. Many safety-related defects are found in crashed vehicles
that did not contribute to the crash. There is some evidence that defects may contribute more
to motorcycle crashes than to car crashes.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:56 AM   #69
Trevor 57
is now there

So you quote data relating to 'crashes' whereas I have been talking about fatality or near fatality

It just doesn't rate a mention as the numbers are minuscule and as such are irrelevant and not worth reporting
Old 11-11-2022, 11:59 AM   #70
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Talking Re: The VACC wants the Victorian government to implement an annual rwc requirement for vehicles aged 8 ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
I think VICPOLs resources are stretched as is
They were so busy today that they were in my housing estate looking at people's cars parked on the road outside their houses, saw them taking number plates off someone's run down Mazda
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2022, 01:23 PM   #71
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
They were so busy today that they were in my housing estate looking at people's cars parked on the road outside their houses, saw them taking number plates off someone's run down Mazda

Did you get your plates confiscated?
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2022, 01:39 PM   #72
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Did you get your plates confiscated?
My ****box fleet are conveniently parked on our property - but I'm going to find out when I get home in about two hours I guess
Old 12-11-2022, 09:07 AM   #73
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There are calls to introduce mandatory yearly safety checks on cars more than eight years old in Victoria.

The Victorian Automotive Chamber of Commerce (VACC) CEO, Geoff Gwylim, says the proposed policy, which is similar to the system already in operation in NSW, comes in response to alarming reports from mechanics.

“We’ve got 5000 members across Victoria and Tasmania that fix cars and we get reports almost daily of cars that are … up on hoists that are unroadworthy. As times get tighter people will say to a mechanic ‘Look I understand what you’re saying to me but just do the bare minimum’,” he told Neil Mitchell.

“I can buy a car today and drive it for 50 years on the roads in Victoria without a safety check or roadworthy.”

The Department of Transport claims there’s no evidence unroadworthy cars are more accident prone, but Mr Gwylim says that’s because data isn’t collected after most crashes.

audio:
https://omny.fm/shows/mornings-with-...oadworthy-chec

https://www.3aw.com.au/push-to-intro...s-in-victoria/
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2022, 11:54 PM   #74
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Absolutely disagree, particularly if the line is to reduce deaths. The once a year or so I actually do get pulled over for whatever random reason, I have never seen police check even the basics. Start there, they have the ability ot deal with the worst. Secondly the eight years old part is nonsense too, plenty of things could be an issue.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2022, 12:28 AM   #75
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Those 5000 members would probably be better off handing in their membership to the VACC and keep the money they charge for membership
3 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2022, 07:13 AM   #76
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by janddbone View Post
Absolutely disagree, particularly if the line is to reduce deaths. The once a year or so I actually do get pulled over for whatever random reason, I have never seen police check even the basics. Start there, they have the ability ot deal with the worst. Secondly the eight years old part is nonsense too, plenty of things could be an issue.
did you actually back read before you posted?
Old 13-11-2022, 10:10 AM   #77
GXA
Donating Member
Donating Member2

The VACC would want that, wouldn't they??

2008 FG GT-E - Lightning Strike
2007 BFII Fairmont Ghia - Seduce
2007 BFII Falcon ES - Ego
GXA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2022, 10:46 AM   #78
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Those 5000 members would probably be better off handing in their membership to the VACC and keep the money they charge for membership
Are you a member of VACC? you do know that logo on your business sign attracts customers.
Old 13-11-2022, 12:29 PM   #79
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Are you a member of VACC? you do know that logo on your business sign attracts customers.
They came knocking at my workshop in 2015 with their cap in their hand wanting me to sign up for membership, in which I politely implied that they're a group of treacherous scum

Seriously they'd be better off approaching parts wholesalers to get further discounts for their 5000 members, with that sort of buying power they'd hold weight but they're too short sighted to see it.

If they approached me in my former life I'd have cut some pretty nice deals on a braking program for their 5000 members that would allow them to buy at more than competitive rates allowing them to make more money on every job that came into their workshop.

Or come up with plans and implement something to attempt to address the skills shortage the automotive industry has been dealing with for the past 15 years, a drop out rate of apprentices above 50% and that's AFTER you actually find someone to take on as an apprentice.

But no, they go around trying to justify themselves by pointless attempts at lobbying government unsuccessfully to force things on the public which aren't even proven to work, out of their nice Southbank office paid for by its members in their do-nothing organisation.

EDIT: Looks like they've moved and are now slumming it out of North Melbourne instead of in a nice building off St Kilda Rd Southbank opposite Kings Domain

Check out the photos on Google of 'VACC house' they're renders but it conveys a message:

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/...m3!8m2!3m1!1e1

This is what their memberships pay for - hyper fancy offices chock full of people in corporate attire which don't know what a car is except for its got four wheels and it moves backwards and forwards. They're flies and maggots hovering around a nice and warm fresh turd looking for a feed.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 13-11-2022 at 12:50 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2022, 02:08 PM   #80
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
They came knocking at my workshop in 2015 with their cap in their hand wanting me to sign up for membership, in which I politely implied that they're a group of treacherous scum

Seriously they'd be better off approaching parts wholesalers to get further discounts for their 5000 members, with that sort of buying power they'd hold weight but they're too short sighted to see it.

If they approached me in my former life I'd have cut some pretty nice deals on a braking program for their 5000 members that would allow them to buy at more than competitive rates allowing them to make more money on every job that came into their workshop.

Or come up with plans and implement something to attempt to address the skills shortage the automotive industry has been dealing with for the past 15 years, a drop out rate of apprentices above 50% and that's AFTER you actually find someone to take on as an apprentice.

But no, they go around trying to justify themselves by pointless attempts at lobbying government unsuccessfully to force things on the public which aren't even proven to work, out of their nice Southbank office paid for by its members in their do-nothing organisation.

EDIT: Looks like they've moved and are now slumming it out of North Melbourne instead of in a nice building off St Kilda Rd Southbank opposite Kings Domain

Check out the photos on Google of 'VACC house' they're renders but it conveys a message:

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/...m3!8m2!3m1!1e1

This is what their memberships pay for - hyper fancy offices chock full of people in corporate attire which don't know what a car is except for its got four wheels and it moves backwards and forwards. They're flies and maggots hovering around a nice and warm fresh turd looking for a feed.
My former mechanic who is now retired was a member and did not think much of them but did admit it helped drum up business from customers looking for a decent mechanic.
So many dodgy mechanical businesses out there.

3 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2022, 02:12 PM   #81
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My former mechanic who is now retired was a member and did not think much of them but did admit it helped drum up business from customers looking for a decent mechanic.

Yeah but they didn’t really do much about checking how good or ( honest)the mechanic was.For the mechanic it was about getting a flag to fly.For VACC it was more about the money than the quality
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2022, 03:46 PM   #82
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Maybe back in the day, but now with social media and Google you can verify this yourself from other customers providing feedback:

Here's from my own business Facebook 5+ years ago:

The guy talking about his coupe - absolute legend he invited us into his home with his family and cooked dinner for us to show appreciation, that sort of stuff makes you feel good and you can still remember it years later

Sure there's probably people paying for bots to do fake reviews but you can also verify by looking at what other reviews they've done, the people above on Facebook you can look at their profiles, see where they live to see if they're legit

If you have a bad experience - smash em with negative feedback on their Google listings and their business Facebook, its your feedback mechanism and if you're looking for a new mechanic the first thing people are going to do is hit up Google or ask friends word of mouth, no one cares about the orange and white VACC sign.

So what exactly does VACC offer to its members? Aside from the orange and white sign which means nothing in this day and age.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 13-11-2022 at 04:03 PM.
Old 13-11-2022, 04:57 PM   #83
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Looking at one of the submissions the VACC contributed to and submitted this year with the MTAA - they're basically pushing to weaken consumer guarantees and protections in Australia, this is one of the incidents they've included from a car dealership:

February 2022 - MTAA's response to the Department of the Treasury's Consultation Regulation Impact Statement: 'Improving the effectiveness of the consumer guarantee and supplier indemnification provisions under the Australian Consumer Law.'

Looking at some of the extracts from that article they submitted this year with the MTAA,

https://vacc.com.au/About/Submissions

Quote:
Do you have any information or data to support the view consumers are ‘gaming’ the system to obtain replacement new motor vehicles or refunds?

Dealer comments on ‘gaming’ by consumers:

Fraudulent claims are few in number, but when you get one, they are very time
consuming and costly in terms of a significant waste of management time to defend.
Quite often we offer something to just get them out of our face.

MTAA has evidence of where consumers have used the provisions of the ACL because of
buyer’s remorse.

Example 3

An owner returned a new high value, high-performance sports car several times to the
dealer, each time claiming the car was not performing to manufacturer specifications and
had numerous issues regarding the engine and gearbox.

The gearbox was replaced several times and the entire engine once. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, but technicians concerned with the frequent returns and apparent ongoing problems and lack of explanation, delved further into engine and system diagnostics with the manufacturer.

As part of diagnostic investigations and providing remedies, the dealer inquired on vehicle use, weather conditions, fuel used, driving style etc. Concerning trends were identified, including specific days where the car appeared to endure the sustained high revolutions, fuel use, braking dynamics and other characteristics.

When presented with this information and that the cars recorded activity matched public race days at a local track, the owner admitted to racing the vehicle – a use expressly prohibited and not covered by the manufacturer.
Hold up - the dealership states in their scenario that the customer purchased a high value, high performance sports-car then they turn around and say that they were being gamed by the customer who was 'remorseful' for their purchase because the customer used their high performance sports car as a high performance sports car and it **** the bed multiple times where the workshop decided to play parts-nostics and throw new gearboxes and engines at it in a hail mary attempt to fix the problem - then they look at diagnostic information.

God forbid someone buys a high performance sports car and uses it as a high performance sports car, I don't particularly care if the manufacturer explicity states they won't warrant it being used on the track, is it a 'high performance sports car' or is it some ****ing poser vehicle that ****s the bed the moment you use it for what it was made for?

This is the sort of trash your money goes towards, fancy offices, lobbying government in attempts to weaken Australian consumer law,

Lets go back to 2016 - who remembers the infamous senator Ricky Muir who got elected in the upper house for federal government on 0.51% of the primary vote in 2014?

That man did more for the automotive aftermarket in Australia within his short term of two years (before he got iced by the double dissolution election) than the VACC has done in over 100 years for its members:

Quote:
Ricky Muir and AAAA draft Automotive Repair Code of Practice

Leader of the Australian Motoring Enthusiast Party, Senator Ricky Muir, and the Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association (AAAA) have launched a draft for a mandatory code of conduct that is aimed at giving independent repairers access to technical service and repair data from manufacturers.

Under the current voluntary scheme, many of the major auto brands in Australia have been withholding technical information from independent repairers, forcing customers to have the vehicles serviced and repaired at dealer service centres, which not only could be more expensive and inconvenient, but also could eventually wipe out many of the workshops that provide these services.

Many independent workshops are blocked from access to basic data such as what blend of oil a specific vehicle requires, or how to interpret fault codes.

At a press conference this week - days before the federal election - Senator Muir announced a draft for the proposed mandatory Automotive Repair Code of Practice - which he created in collaboration with the AAAA - based on a similar model adopted by the US automotive industry.
https://www.drive.com.au/news/ricky-...e-of-practice/

How come it took some bloke who worked at a sawmill and then lost his job and became unemployed to come up with the best thing that the automotive aftermarket and independent repairers have seen for their businesses in over 100 years?

Ricky Muir and the AAAA's idea only became legislation this year from July 1st 2022 - its now known as the Motor vehicle information scheme (MVIS)

https://www.accc.gov.au/focus-areas/...on-scheme-mvis

Quote:
Founded in 1918, VACC today provides its members with access to a suite of support measures that assist them in running modern automotive businesses.
The unemployed bloke who worked at the sawmill and got elected on 0.51% of the primary vote in 2014 did more for the automotive aftermarket industry in the two years he was a senator - FOR FREE than the VACC has done for it in over 100 years for its members.

Absolute trash organisation - get in the bin.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2022, 02:09 PM   #84
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I can name 3 shonk VACC truck mechanic members just in the North East of the state.
All 3 shonks hold trading licences based on their own fathers previous ownership which they took over and are impressively running into the ground, so I wouldn't listen much to this group of clowns.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2022, 03:27 PM   #85
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I can name 3 shonk VACC truck mechanic members just in the North East of the state.
All 3 shonks hold trading licences based on their own fathers previous ownership which they took over and are impressively running into the ground, so I wouldn't listen much to this group of clowns.
absolutely heaps of shonks not surpising........

NSW had heaps as well - what State doesn't.
Mind you mechnical workshops got cleaned up heaps here many years ago, those that did the rego checks without inpsections but accepted cash hand outs and any other way they did.
The RTA or RMS as known now would send an officer out to roKWiz Mechanical Repairs or be it Truck Repairs visit them randomly and pull out 10 odd of the carbon copy inspection slips.
Get those cars checked out, the amount of shonks doing the dodgy inspections have halved and more, I know from my own mechanic biz mates they wouldn't risk losing their biz license one bit knowing this has gone on.

Your not going to clean shonks up entirely but its put the fear of god in many.

There will always be good and wrong in business.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2022, 04:20 PM   #86
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering there’s been multiple studies saying that the amount of crashes due to RWC issues is negligible this is nothing more than trying to drum up work for their members.
As if the average motorist can take anymore. There’s only so much lube to go around.
Old 22-11-2022, 04:45 PM   #87
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad View Post
Considering there’s been multiple studies saying that the amount of crashes due to RWC issues is negligible this is nothing more than trying to drum up work for their members.
As if the average motorist can take anymore. There’s only so much lube to go around.
Can you post a couple of these studies?
Old 22-11-2022, 06:05 PM   #88
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I bet we all see the same old crap boxes getting around our roads.
Yes, usually on club plates going to work.
I wouldn't mind licence testing every 5 years, a caravan lowing licence and no more Mom and Dad teaching Junior how to drive like them.
Seems like all the car accidents I see are usually s*it drivers in new lounge rooms.

Last edited by roKWiz; 22-11-2022 at 06:11 PM.
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2022, 08:29 PM   #89
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yes, usually on club plates going to work.
I wouldn't mind licence testing every 5 years, a caravan lowing licence and no more Mom and Dad teaching Junior how to drive like them.
Seems like all the car accidents I see are usually s*it drivers in new lounge rooms.
Ah yes the Mitsubishi Express L300 car club! They seem to hold their club events at the local waste transfer station once a month.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2022, 09:17 PM   #90
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad View Post

It’s not going to happen. The industry couldn’t cope with the workload.
It’s a publicity stunt by a organization struggling to stay relevant.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post