Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-02-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
buickman
buickman

Default The Casper Type Mod to Airbox

Since last weeks dyno day it has been annoying me that the car ran rich which is why fuel milage is average around town. I cleaned the BMC air filter but still not happy as when you boot it a hesation was felt. I decided to open the front of the air box with a holesaw and fit a new ryco filter to see how it went after. While working on the car I replaced the drivers side globe which I should have done weeks ago but found it difficult without removing the battery. After I fitted everthing up. I took the car for a run onto the Monash freeway. The car felt healthier when floored but on the C/control litres per 100ks it was showing 21.8 per 100 from the 14.5per 100 I was getting before and after 1 days driving it has only dropped to 19.8 per 100. Will this change or have I upset A/F settings.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 02:59 AM   #2
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Welcome to my world lol
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 10:14 AM   #3
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

So in English, the extra air has made what if any difference, better response worse fuel?
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 10:17 AM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

for some reason the VCT engine loves as much air as I can give it. No idea why. Buickman has a VCT too so maybe its not just mine.

Glad to hear it worked out for you Mr Buick : but I dont think it will actually change the A/F ratio all that much, thats controlled by the joke they call the VCT ECU.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 08:15 PM   #5
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
So in English, the extra air has made what if any difference, better response worse fuel?
The readout on the panel now has dropped to 12.8L per 100Kms after 3 days driving so according to the C/C panel fuel consumption has improved. It feels as if it breaths better on accelaration but I wonder if the BMC performance air filter might have been some of the problem.
If a AU Dyno day is happing in the future I will try a new stock air filter against a cleaned BMC one to see if there is a difference in A/F readout.
I know it made 4kw more on the blue TE3 with the BMC filter but the standed air filter fitted to the car appeared dirty.

buickman
Old 16-02-2005, 09:02 AM   #6
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Got any pics of the mod you made to the air box? I have been toying with the idea. I have even bought some piping to get the air from the grill (I have an AUII so I don't get as much 'air' as an XR would.
Old 16-02-2005, 11:02 AM   #7
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up

Casper, can you post some pics of your airbox mods?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarby
Casper, can you post some pics of your airbox mods?
Its all here:
http://www.aufalcon.com/Tech/techintake2.htm

Old 16-02-2005, 11:47 AM   #9
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wish I didn't put on my lens covers now... Can't get that mod to work properly with the holes blocked...

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 11:55 AM   #10
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I was amazed how much air the intake actually pulls in, it certainly uses it.

Old 16-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #11
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Casper, do you think that a flexable ag pipe (no holes in the pipe) would move much once in the Box?

e.g. the Hole is cut (19mm ag pipe put through to about 1/2 way in the filter box, secured in/outside at the joint). I dont know if it would 'move' or 'flop around' once the air started coming in.
Uncle_Ken
Old 17-02-2005, 09:11 PM   #12
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Casper, do you think that a flexable ag pipe (no holes in the pipe) would move much once in the Box?

e.g. the Hole is cut (19mm ag pipe put through to about 1/2 way in the filter box, secured in/outside at the joint). I dont know if it would 'move' or 'flop around' once the air started coming in.
Uncle_Ken
Really couldnt say. I doubt it would move all that much so long as its fairly firm. Its not in the wind directly, just sucking air from the cavity behind the light.

Old 17-02-2005, 09:44 PM   #13
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:

Uncle_Ken
Keep in mind there isnt a whole lot of cool flowing air behind standard AU headlights because they are a sealed unit. I've been trying to work a way around this, but apart from cutting a hole in the bottom of the airbox and through the chassis, or a bonnet scoop, im not seeing too many options.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2005, 10:20 PM   #14
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Keep in mind there isnt a whole lot of cool flowing air behind standard AU headlights because they are a sealed unit. I've been trying to work a way around this, but apart from cutting a hole in the bottom of the airbox and through the chassis, or a bonnet scoop, im not seeing too many options.
I looked at cutting a hole at the bottom of the airbox and body but thought hell no make holes in the car for a extra bit of air a lot of VL's have this done. I 've noticed in nearly a weeks driving the cars C/C panel display is between 12.7 lper 100kms lowest and 13.8L per 100kms highest a 1 to 1.5L better than before. Not sure if it is a placibo affect but it feels as if it revs better.

buickman
Old 17-02-2005, 11:38 PM   #15
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Smile I agree

Quote:
You are right. My idea is the ag pipe I have is flexible enough to fit in some of the gaps between to radiator and or the headlight assembly to wind through to the top part of the front grill. I looking for the way which has the least amount of heat reduction in pipe size (may have to squeeze the dia down to get it through. Should be fun trying though
Uncle_ken :SaiyanSmi
Old 18-02-2005, 02:04 AM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Ken - I've got 90mm flexible hosing feeding my BMC CDA air filter through that spot between the light cluster and the radiator support panel and it seems to work OK.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #17
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
You are right. My idea is the ag pipe I have is flexible enough to fit in some of the gaps between to radiator and or the headlight assembly to wind through to the top part of the front grill. I looking for the way which has the least amount of heat reduction in pipe size (may have to squeeze the dia down to get it through. Should be fun trying though
Yeah i thought about running flexible pipe down beside the radiator, but it gets so damn hot there, i wondered when it was going to melt, i also considered that it wasnt a huge gap to go through inregards to the gap between the radiator and the engine itself.

My only other thought so far has been to modifiy a vacuum cleaner head, to drag air from the small gap between the headlight and the chassis lip, its about 1.5 inches wide, and about 6 inches long, i figure if i can get something to fit through that I can fabricate something to fit on either end.

If I do, ill make an aufalcon article for it.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 18-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #18
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
My only other thought so far has been to modifiy a vacuum cleaner head, to drag air from the small gap between the headlight and the chassis lip
And it would be adjustable too, set it to Rug for less CAI advantage.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 03:15 PM   #19
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
And it would be adjustable too, set it to Rug for less CAI advantage.
LOL shuttup you, if I wanted to work on a rug id steal your toupe!

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 19-02-2005, 10:05 AM   #20
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Question Got a pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
Ken - I've got 90mm flexible hosing feeding my BMC CDA air filter through that spot between the light cluster and the radiator support panel and it seems to work OK.
I'm thinking of having a go this weekend. Have you got a pic if where you placed the pipe?
Old 19-02-2005, 10:08 AM   #21
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
I'm thinking of having a go this weekend. Have you got a pic if where you placed the pipe?

Old 19-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #22
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Ta. I'll take pics for aufalcon as well
Uncle_ken
Old 01-03-2005, 08:53 PM   #23
|2aebird
Resident Volvo Driver

I have done this to my V8 Au Fairmont, i attacked my airbox with a holesaw and then ran ag pipe from the airbox between the radiator and the headlight and down to the airdam thingy at the bottom of the bumper... Cant even see that it is there and it has seemed to have made a considerable difference to response, i have had it in the car for almost 6 months now and it has not melted... i used the ag pipe with holes in it because i figured if it had holes in it then it would dissipate the heat from the radiator before it got to the filter yet the holes in the pipe are small enough not to let too much air escape... I also put a pod filter in the airbox and added a tickford snorkel so that may have made a difference to the feeling of the car aswell, but i fitted all mods at the same time... I am actually considering adding another bit of pipe along side this one as i only used small diameter pipe so as to fit between the radiator and headlight...
|2aebird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2005, 08:41 PM   #24
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Thanks Guys
My Pool had a big time blow out so the next free day I get I'll give it a go and take some pics.
Fingers crossed
Old 22-03-2005, 12:06 PM   #25
StorminaTcup

Smile

Quote:
We have an additional air intake on our AUll XR8 similar to Casper's. We used 100mm x 50mm pvc pipe with 2 elbows, it is positioned behind the grille runs behind the h/lights and into the airbox. it's a tight fit, slide on terminals on driving light need to be changed to right angled. painted matt black & combined with a K&N filter it does'nt look nasty but is a cheap and very effective addition. Will post some pics asap
StorminaTcup is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 04:20 PM   #26
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I gave this a go as well but the crappy drill i had wouldn't drill thru the plastic of the airbox.

I think I'll give it another go when I get around to doing the BA intake piping mod.

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post