Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: How many times have you been caught speeding?
Never; and I'm proud of it! 34 16.59%
1 -5; the occasional mind lapse 115 56.10%
6 - 10; neither here nor there 32 15.61%
10 -20; Speeding, what's that? 14 6.83%
20 +; I'm happy to donate to the upkeep of our roads! 10 4.88%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default How Many Times Have You Been Caught Speeding?

Went for a trip with my Mum earlier this week to drop off my seadoo for a service and to drop off a display cabinet to my sister that was at my mum's.

During the approx 6 hour round trip, we talked about many things, but especially other people's driving habits. In amongst that was how many people were speeding.

I know that there are always threads on this forum about how unfair the current speeding rules are, and how inappropriate some of the speed limits are, etc, and then you have the other side of the fence where people say it is easy not to pay the government, just don't speed. So, it got me to thinking about how many people on these forums actually don't speed (or at least never get pinged for it), and of those that do, how often they get caught.

I'll happily put up my hand and proudly say that, in the 27 years I've held a licence, I have never been caught. Not once!. Not to say I don't speed, because I don't think anyone can honestly say that, but I think I'm a pretty good judge of right time and place.

But, my Mum trumps me easily! She's had a licence for something like 45 years, and has never been booked, fined or even pulled over for speeding! Except once when we lived in Malaysia back in the mid-70s. On that occasion, Mum swears she wasn't speeding, but it is pretty hard to argue when you're a female, by yourself and the police officer is brandishing a machine gun . After an exchange of cash, all was forgotten so I don't think that really counts....

So, how many times have you been fined for speeding? And when you post, please let us know how many years you have had a licence.

This should be an interesting survey!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #2
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: How Many Times Have You Been Caught Speeding?

Got off diu thrice also.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2017, 10:46 PM   #3
BFIIGhiaZF6
George
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The experience, information and willingness to help and share data in regards to the ZF cooling system options has probably cleared a lot of doubt about air/oil coolers and the ZF transmission. 

Had my licence motorcycle/car for 53 years, two speeding fines in last 35 years, most recent was just two weeks ago, 64 kph in 60 kph zone, zero traffic, $196 fine, pretty ****ed off about it

2007 BFII Fairmont Ghia I6 4L, ZF6 Auto, Ego Charcoal, Warm Charcoal.

R/Up 2019:Winner 2023:, Best BA-BF Geelong AFD.

PWR Air/Oil Cooler, K&N, Egas elbow, V8 upper F6 lower CAI.

1997 Fairmont EL Ghia Tickford 4L Auto
1985 Falcon XF GL 4.1L Auto.
1979 Fairmont XD Ghia 4.1L Auto.
1971 Cortina GL Estate 1200cc Manual.
BFIIGhiaZF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
MrEL
Sick Puppy

I got knocked off recently for somehow managing to speed UP Victoria Pass NSW in a 1.3 litre , automatic Toyota Yaris loaded with work tools.
Now that takes skills.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2017, 10:54 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been done twice, both when I was on my P's in 2004 and 2007.

The first I was issued a warning, the second I was 25 over and there was no way of getting out of that one. 3 points and $213 fine for that so I was lucky I got a warning the first time.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2017, 10:55 PM   #6
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoughton View Post
Had my licence motorcycle/car for 53 years, two speeding fines in last 35 years, most recent was just two weeks ago, 64 kph in 60 kph zone, zero traffic, $196 fine, pretty ****ed off about it
4kms over and $196 fine. Thats revenue raising. Queensland its $184 loss 1 point.
Old 21-04-2017, 11:04 PM   #7
BFIIGhiaZF6
George
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The experience, information and willingness to help and share data in regards to the ZF cooling system options has probably cleared a lot of doubt about air/oil coolers and the ZF transmission. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
4kms over and $196 fine. Thats revenue raising. Queensland its $184 loss 1 point.
Yes me too, forgot about the bloody point

Was on a dead straight section of suburban road too, have no idea where the cop was hiding

2007 BFII Fairmont Ghia I6 4L, ZF6 Auto, Ego Charcoal, Warm Charcoal.

R/Up 2019:Winner 2023:, Best BA-BF Geelong AFD.

PWR Air/Oil Cooler, K&N, Egas elbow, V8 upper F6 lower CAI.

1997 Fairmont EL Ghia Tickford 4L Auto
1985 Falcon XF GL 4.1L Auto.
1979 Fairmont XD Ghia 4.1L Auto.
1971 Cortina GL Estate 1200cc Manual.
BFIIGhiaZF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2017, 11:10 PM   #8
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Yes me too, forgot about the bloody point

Was on a dead straight section of suburban road too, have no idea where the cop was hiding
You should write to the traffic camera office and ask for the fine and points to be waived, but you have to admit to the offence and make some song and dance about road safety blah blah blah and how you'll be a good boy next time.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2017, 11:11 PM   #9
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
I got knocked off recently for somehow managing to speed UP Victoria Pass NSW in a 1.3 litre , automatic Toyota Yaris loaded with work tools.
Now that takes skills.
Many a time trial has been run up that hill! Those hotrods probably had nothing on your Yarris though
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2017, 11:14 PM   #10
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably 5-6 times,always going out of towns and getting knocked off for 10 or so ks over 60.But I was travelling about 45-50,000 kms per year.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2017, 11:16 PM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
If you have good driving record for the past 2 years and the speeding was under 10kmh over, you can write in, admit fault and request fine to be withdrawn based on your record. The offence is still recorded and counts against your good driving record so if you have this one withdrawn, the next one won't be.

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content...ument_ID=10369
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2017, 11:18 PM   #12
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First was 15-20 over not long off my P's. Didn't argue it, I knew I was well over.

Next two were in Vic, one was 3kph via camera. This one annoyed my because moments later I was passed by a HWP car doing 160 who proceeded to clean up a car doing a U-turn while on the way to another crash.

The second Vic one was for 10kph over, hadnt seen a sign for ages but knew from driving that stretch in the other direction a few days earlier that it was 110kph. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't 110 on both sides of the road. Cop didn't care, and didn't have a problem telling him I thought his job was a waste of tax dollars.

Fourth was last year, long weekend, 15kph over going down the hill. When cop looked up my record, he couldn't see my Vic offences so told me I have a very good history and should plead to waive the fine. Surprisingly, it worked.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2017, 11:23 PM   #13
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

My company cars have been pinged a few times and for some strange reason the driver couldn't be identified so the fine was slightly higher but no loss of points. (SA)
Old 21-04-2017, 11:25 PM   #14
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
4km/h over - definitely wouldn't have made bail. How's the prison food tasting after 2 weeks
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2017, 12:04 AM   #15
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too many times to count in my 22 years of driving.

Hit the 12 demerit point threshold in or around 1998. Kept my license with the requirement of no fines in 12 months or loose it for 6. Copped a fine on month 11.

Again hit the 12 point mark in 2007. Kept my license with the same 12 month deal but left the country for 6 of them so wasn't an issue.

Hadn't been fined since, had a clean point free license for a year or two, and because of that got a verbal warning for one offence (120+ in a 110 zone!), then for another (50 through a 40 zone intersection in Melb) wrote and requested a warning due to my "clean license" and was granted that. But have since copped two fines in the last 6 months... They hide in the most unlikely places nowadays.

I don't speed any more.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2017, 12:04 AM   #16
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahhh I was not speeding its so unfair, unjust why are they always picking on me.
Licensed since Christmas 1989. Had about 8 speeding tickets, two in morocco which I dont count as it was effectively extortion, though I was fair motoring along but they had no speed measuring device just isolation and big guns! Also effectively cost 8 pounds!
Had 3 fines in a month when I returned to Melbourne to visit family. Borrowed their new car so sensation of actual speed was blurred, plus I had been away long enough to not know that Vic had turned into a camera policed state.
All those were for less that 5kms over and all happened at new fixed camera locations.
But I have no qualms in admiting my errors and paying the fines.
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2017, 12:14 AM   #17
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been done twice, first time in 1980 and second time in 2005. Not bad I reckon given I think I've should've been done heaps in that time.
Old 22-04-2017, 12:18 AM   #18
Chopped
as in chopped

I was certainly no saint from 18-30 and managed to lose my licence 3 times in that period (pretty much all speeding). Yes I was a bit of a dhead. In fact when I first got my licence I lost it within a month. I had a VC SLE 253v8 lol, freshly reconditioned motor, so decided to see how it went. Planted my foot unknowinly straight past a police car on the side of the road, I was caught doing 120 in an 80 zone. Instant licence suspension.

However, I have never caused an accident
(I have been rear ended once from a guy that didn't realise the lights were red and drove straight into the back of me. So inattention on his part.)

So out of curiosity, how many people here have caused an accident?

Last edited by Chopped; 22-04-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Chopped is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2017, 12:43 AM   #19
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I ploughed straight into the back of a chick at a set of lights once only because the right turning green light only let about two cars through before it went yellow so you had to bumper to bumper to get through. So she takes of and stalls it and hits the brakes and I folded in the back of her Nissan Xtrail with the front of my Nissan Patrol, complete with massive bullbar.
Old 22-04-2017, 01:07 AM   #20
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Lol. I got pinched twice in 2 hours one day, and didn't even land the gig
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2017, 01:14 AM   #21
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

5 times in three decades. In that time have probably driven over 400,000km.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2017, 01:21 AM   #22
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love it how a virgin cleanskin posts this thread, and not some recidivist with multiple loss of licence etc.

What I would be interested in would be:

1. Percentages of speeding in built up areas with lots of pedestrians, traffic compared to being done in areas where no foot traffic and in remote region with no other traffic.

2. For those who had low powered **** boxes compare to cars with grunt, any differences in fines when driving **** boxes versus the high powered stuff.

I know when I drove a little 1.3 Festiva coupe for years when first married, I drove it about 10 years (was poor), I was only done once, driving my wife and baby and child, fully loaded, from Newcastle to Melbourne for a funeral, along the great ocean road route, and coming into Melbourne about 200km out was going down a long down hill- no other traffic, in remote region, and car slipped from 100 to 104kph and I was done.

So in that 10 year period, only the 1 strike, for a grubby money grab by the Vic police.

When driving high powered stuff, by myself, well

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2017, 02:03 AM   #23
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just once since I got my licence in 1999. In 2015 I got caught doing 82 in a 70 zone passing a right lane hogger who sped up as I was passing. 3 demerits, $150 fine.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2017, 03:07 AM   #24
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

In 15 years, 6 for me.

First was 122 in 100, knew it.

2nd was 102 in 80, knew it.

3rd 111 in 100, was watching traffic ahead playing a shell game, didn't know.

4th 62 in a 50, I thought it was a 60 zone,

5th 122 in a 100, I knew it,

6th was 62 in a 40 school zone. Which I'm still ****ed about today. In short they had moved the school zone back to the previous set of lights (after 10 years driving on that road, I had always known it to start at the next set of lights) in the three weeks to the last time I had driven that road. I was confused, surprised and ****ed, because I saw the camera, looked at my speed, saw 62 and thought "2 over, they get me for that, fair game, but why is the camera not in the school zone up there?". Then slowed down to 40 for where I was aware the school zone started.

Yeah, that's why. Went back checked my helmet cam footage & found that they had moved it..... only 6 months ago did they put a light up sign at the first set of lights, in ADDITION to the ones at the second set of lights in the same direction. Which I've never seen before. I have a number of school zones at intersections and they only have one school zone/light up board at them.....

So 3, yep, put my hand up, I was doing the wrong thing. Deserved to get caught.

1 is yeah, should have paid better attention to the speed zone.

1 is not entirely my fault, I was too busy surveying the traffic and driving to pay attention to 11% over the limit in a 100 zone.

1 I take no responsibility for. But armed with that knowledge, it won't happen again.

Flame away.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #25
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
It still baffles me that hasn't been challenged and thrown out as an unacceptable tolerance. In NSW, that wouldn't even give a HWP cop a half chub.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #26
Sioso
irregular member

I currently have a clean licence with no demerit points but did have a lot of speeding offences when I was younger.
In 27 years of driving I lost my licence 4 times and probably had about 10 speeding offences.
If I had to live and drive in the city I probably wouldn't have a licence.
I think lack of attention while driving is a far greater problem than speeding, unfortunately that's difficult to police and doesn't raise revenue.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #27
nstg8a

Be 20+ easily. Lost my license 4/5 times as well. Some through excessive speed, or just points and one where I was charged for street racing in my younger days. (Even though I was the only car in the road)
Certainly back in the day I was never too concerned with getting points or fines. Young and dumb.
Plus in nz speed cameras fines are only monetary, no points involved.

Since moving to oz in '08 I've probably only had 2-3 speed tickets, all speed cameras.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #28
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once in 50 years of licenced driving.
65kmh about 50m past the sign from the 100kmh area. Still slowing down but not fast enough obviously.
Once is probably more good luck than good management!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #29
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

30 - 40

Not exactly sure. At least 50 in total and 30 - 40 speeding.... maybe more.

I've thought of getting a copy of my record but most of them would have been before computerisation and swapping of info/points between states.

Thanks for posting a poll I can be competitive in.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2017, 10:18 AM   #30
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp View Post
It still baffles me that hasn't been challenged and thrown out as an unacceptable tolerance. In NSW, that wouldn't even give a HWP cop a half chub.
His detected speed would have probably been 66 kph, so the alleged speed was 64 kph.... That's how it works in Vic.

So George was 10% over the speed limit
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post