Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: How many times have you been caught speeding?
Never; and I'm proud of it! 34 16.59%
1 -5; the occasional mind lapse 115 56.10%
6 - 10; neither here nor there 32 15.61%
10 -20; Speeding, what's that? 14 6.83%
20 +; I'm happy to donate to the upkeep of our roads! 10 4.88%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-09-2023, 02:12 PM   #121
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: How Many Times Have You Been Caught Speeding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
My last speeding fine was late December 1998

Took your license for 25 years?
You musta been flying.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-09-2023, 12:58 PM   #122
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How Many Times Have You Been Caught Speeding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno View Post
This is the dumbest thread ever. Who cares how many time you been caught. Are you 16 years old
My uncle always drove around 80 KM/H max on the highway regardless. anyway he did get a speeding fine once and that got placed framed on a wall for all to see, by him to prove it !

Such on the highway are a pest and may of caused most crashes i am sure.

I was leading my father in law who was 89yo driving behind me, he never has driven over 80 KM/H as well, so i was doing 80 on the gold coast to bris and i have never been so scared in my life of being run into or driven off the road , it's dangerous to sit on 80, insanity ! i will never do that again.

Speeding is not the issue in fact, it's being an idiot, That is the major problem in fact !
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2023, 01:27 PM   #123
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
My last speeding fine was late December 1998
Reminds me of.. https://youtu.be/mTUhnIY3oRM?si=PeENkPIF0hJLbsPc
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2023, 09:54 PM   #124
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Bragging about never speeding is like bragging about never claiming a tax deduction.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-09-2023, 09:09 AM   #125
HONK
*Honker*

3 times in 25 years, minor infractions...
HONK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2023, 03:19 PM   #126
burnz
VFII SS UTE

twice, one on phillip island vic 76 in an 80 zone got it in the mail claming 60 zone..
two, fixed camera bonnyrig nsw 70 in a 60 zone, lapse in concentration..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2023, 03:50 PM   #127
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

3 times in 23 years.
Once with a 4 figure fine and 6 month suspension. 114/60kph, young and dumb.
2 within 3 days, one on way to MEL, one on way home.

Im permanently scared from the first one, ive learnt from it.

* i have all 3 hanging in my shed. Including the first one, hand written from 2003
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels

Last edited by DJM83; 16-09-2023 at 03:57 PM.
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2023, 06:01 PM   #128
T1 Terry

Over 54 yrs of driving and riding motorcycles, most certainly in the 20+ group, but not happy paying into govt general revenue .... if it did go on the roads then I'd at least feel a bit better about the thousands I have contributed .... has it stopped me speeding? Did getting a hangover the next day stop anyone from drinking alcohol? Same thing, once the pain has passed, life returns to normal ;)

T1 Terry
T1 Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2023, 06:16 PM   #129
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Once actually being pulled over by an NSW Evel Knievel as a courier in 1983.

and a recent (last year) sneaky camera car hiding in the bushes, 102km in 100 zone on the old Hume.

roKWiz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2023, 06:20 PM   #130
T1 Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Took your license for 25 years?
You musta been flying.
: Son got a fine in the mail on a trip to visit us in Mannum SA. Travelled all the way from Wollongong NSW and got caught with an average speed camera coming through the back Rd they call the Sturt Hwy, average 125km/h in 110 zone ... he must have been moving, there are quite a few stop to turn sections along the route they averaged ........

T1 Terry
T1 Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2023, 08:19 PM   #131
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once in 2008. Exceeding 40 in a school zone. Flaggy lady was taking flag down from crossing, I didn't slow to 40, thinking it was after 9 am. Mr constable had a different idea. It was 2 minutes before 9 am! Lesson, "Look at time and allow for a few minutes."
Old 19-09-2023, 11:21 AM   #132
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
Once in 2008. Exceeding 40 in a school zone. Flaggy lady was taking flag down from crossing, I didn't slow to 40, thinking it was after 9 am. Mr constable had a different idea. It was 2 minutes before 9 am! Lesson, "Look at time and allow for a few minutes."
Just a note for those who travel interstate; until GCR posted the times in his post above, I hadn't appreciated that different states run different times that the school zones are in force.

This article provides a good summary of the differences between states https://www.9news.com.au/national/wh...n%20present%22.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2023, 08:42 PM   #133
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
Could be worse. Have heard complaints from people booked for school zone speeding when there was a teachers strike on and no school....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2023, 08:06 PM   #134
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I've been done twice, both when I was on my P's in 2004 and 2007.

The first I was issued a warning, the second I was 25 over and there was no way of getting out of that one. 3 points and $213 fine for that so I was lucky I got a warning the first time.
In this great State of Dan, 25 over is now 'excessive speeding' and gets a mandatory six month suspension and nearly $800 fine... Points, record etc dont matter all.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2023, 08:08 AM   #135
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by janddbone View Post
In this great State of Dan, 25 over is now 'excessive speeding' and gets a mandatory six month suspension and nearly $800 fine... Points, record etc dont matter all.
In this day and age it's a joke we can't even nationalize the countries road rules.

Old 24-09-2023, 08:28 AM   #136
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
In this day and age it's a joke we can't even nationalize the countries road rules.
This scope should include also the size and positioning of speed limit advisory signage.

Further to that, strategy for implementing compliance with national road rules should follow a nationally agreed and observed policy.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2023, 09:00 AM   #137
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Also has you ticking yes to the criminal record box on job applications and will show up on police checks, it's one of the rare ones that you don't need to go to court to have a criminal conviction applied, once you pay the fine it's an admission of guilt.

Quote:
Excessive speed, drug and alcohol offences

Fines for excessive speed, drug and alcohol offences are different from other fines – they are more serious.

They may result in:

driver licence cancellation or suspension
a conviction

A conviction will be recorded 28 days from the Infringement Notice issue date on your fine, unless you object. If you were not responsible for the offence, you should act before that date. If you don't act, the offence will appear on your criminal record.

Excessive speed

You will be issued with an excessive speeding fine if you are caught driving 25km/h or more above the speed limit or driving at 130km/h or more.

If you do not act within 28 days of the notice issue date, your driver licence will be suspended, or in some cases it will be cancelled. The length of the suspension will be determined by how serious your offence is (how far over the speed limit you drove).
https://online.fines.vic.gov.au/Infr...cohol-offences

People may think that's not a big deal but in Victoria there's no legislation protecting you from discrimination from employers over having a current criminal conviction

Quote:
Is it lawful to be asked about a criminal record or spent conviction?

There are no laws in Victoria against employers who discriminate against someone because of a current criminal record. However, from 1 December 2021, an employer cannot discriminate against you (treat you unfairly or unlawfully) because of a spent conviction.
https://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/criminal-records

The only discrimination protection you have is for spent convictions and only since December 2021, so if anyone ever cops the excessive speed charge, go contest it in court with legal representation and try score no conviction recorded from the magistrate which will give you discrimination protection with employers in the form of the spent convictions act 2021.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2023, 09:49 AM   #138
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
This scope should include also the size and positioning of speed limit advisory signage.

Further to that, strategy for implementing compliance with national road rules should follow a nationally agreed and observed policy.
There are definitely differences between the states, more “comfort” speed signs in Qld
but in NSW you can drive a long way without confirmation of what the speed limit is….
could that be a deliberate thing?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2023, 11:31 AM   #139
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Also has you ticking yes to the criminal record box on job applications and will show up on police checks, it's one of the rare ones that you don't need to go to court to have a criminal conviction applied, once you pay the fine it's an admission of guilt.

People may think that's not a big deal but in Victoria there's no legislation protecting you from discrimination from employers over having a current criminal conviction

The only discrimination protection you have is for spent convictions and only since December 2021, so if anyone ever cops the excessive speed charge, go contest it in court with legal representation and try score no conviction recorded from the magistrate which will give you discrimination protection with employers in the form of the spent convictions act 2021.
Even upon appeal, you may escape the coviction and the record if the judge dismisses it, however it is so sad to see them sit there and expain the suspension still stands as it is outside their power. basically a puppet in that regard.
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2023, 01:07 PM   #140
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

I think that webpage is very misleading in that they include speeding with DUI and drug offences as a criminal offence.
Speeding has always been regarded as a driving offence (unless you are evading Police) and until I read the wording here, never regarded it as a criminal offence.Maybe at over 25km/h they regard it as showing intentional as opposed to lapse of concentration.

Old 24-09-2023, 01:24 PM   #141
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I think that webpage is very misleading in that they include speeding with DUI and drug offences as a criminal offence.
Speeding has always been regarded as a driving offence (unless you are evading Police) and until I read the wording here, never regarded it as a criminal offence.Maybe at over 25km/h they regard it as showing intentional as opposed to lapse of concentration.
This excessive speed is a summary offence, it comes up as a conviction on a crminal record and has you ticking yes to the criminal record box on job applications and it'll be shown to an employer on a criminal record check, plus effect international travel, you can forget about going to Canada as they're very strict on letting people into their country with criminal convictions.

Its the same class as exceeding speed limit by 45km/h or more, dangerous driving charges, low level violent crimes like assaults, domestic/family violence charges et al.

They are all summary offences, the low level speeding offences just come up on your VicRoads driving history, just the normal sub 25km/h speeding fines and that sort of stuff.

This is what my driving records show:

I've literally not had one minor offence, ever.

But, there's this:

However its a spent conviction, thanks to the magistrate giving me no conviction recorded, so it won't get disclosed to employers by Victoria Police on a criminal record check, nor can they discriminate against me for a spent conviction as it gives me a legal avenue to chase should someone try.

If someone asks me for the complete VicRoads driving history, it appears on my convictions list as you can see above, but it doesn't on a criminal record check from Victoria Police - which gives me legal protection from discrimination under the spent convictions act 2021.

Best $550 I've ever spent was on legal representation, no conviction recorded, and one of the charges dropped.

A friend got done for 75 over the limit, the police dropped it down to 65 over the limit for him on the side of the road,

But he went into court with no legal representation on poor advice, plead guilty and ended up scoring dangerous driving and driving at dangerous speed convictions, now he gets discriminated against by employers because he has a criminal conviction, he got rejected from a cleaning job at Melbourne Airport, after he got offered the position once the criminal record check came back, and there's nothing he can do about it because there is no discrimination protection for people with current criminal convictions in Victoria.

It's going to effect him for the next decade, until it becomes a spent conviction.

Also as these summary offences carry mandatory sentences (loss of licence), it makes you ineligible for the diversion program - where you make a donation and avoid the criminal justice system (and resulting criminal convictions).

One of our senators (Ralph Babet) got a diversion for an assault, where he beat someone, if he got done for 25km/h over the speed limit, he wouldn't have been eligible for the diversion program and would be a convicted criminal.

Prior to this legislation change in 2021 with the spent convictions act - this is the kind of effect criminal convictions have on your prospects:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...ports/11447036

Someone who took two planks of wood 40 years ago was still having issues with discrimination.

There was people with historic convictions for things like being gay which was effecting them on employment prospects, it was only in 2015 in Victoria that they got specific legislation to remove these historic criminal convictions, and even then they had to specifically apply to get rid of them - imagine having criminal conviction because of your sexual orientation.

People don't realise how serious we treat driving offences in Victoria, for things you wouldn't think much of, get done for rolling off the throttle into a 60 roadworks zone at around 100km/h and you're joining the ranks of people with criminal convictions.

Hell, go remap a modern truck to turn off the DPF regeneration and Adblue
duty cycle, look at how they're treated:

Quote:
You also have a primary duty to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the safety your transport activities relating to the vehicle – this extends to engine remapping.

The NHVR and state or territory police services investigate companies suspected of engine remapping. Operators, executive officers and companies can receive penalties for these serious criminal offences including up to $340,000 or up to five years imprisonment for an individual and up to $3.4 million dollars in fines for a company with a category 1 breach.
https://www.nhvr.gov.au/engineremapping#owners

Don't go into a court room without legal representation - EVER.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 24-09-2023 at 01:53 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2023, 02:09 PM   #142
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

When i do get caught speeding i dont be a smartarse to the coppers and take it like a champ,almost every time they reduce the fine cost and drop the recorded speed down,most cops are reasonable if you dont be a clown.
You got caught speeding,theres no excuse.
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2023, 02:16 PM   #143
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Even upon appeal, you may escape the coviction and the record if the judge dismisses it, however it is so sad to see them sit there and expain the suspension still stands as it is outside their power. basically a puppet in that regard.
Because its a mandatory sentence - it takes away the discretion of the magistrate with what they can do,

My first magistrate was sympathetic towards me, but because of the mandatory 12 month cancellation period, she had to give me the 12 month loss of licence as she can only do what the law said.

Because this mandatory sentence, it also meant I was ineligible for the diversion program:

Quote:
A diversion program is a way to deal with your matter out of the court system and give you a chance to avoid a criminal record.

If the magistrate agrees that you are eligible for diversion, you will be put on a diversion plan. You must follow certain conditions in this time. You might have to:

write a letter of apology to the victim
get counselling (anger management, drug or alcohol treatment)
do an education course (defensive driving course, drug awareness program)
make a donation
do community work.

If you follow the conditions of your diversion plan, the police drop the charges and there will be no finding of guilt. That means no criminal record.

A diversion plan usually goes for a year.

Eligibility

You will be eligible if:

your offence can be heard in the Magistrates’ Court
your offence does not have a minimum or fixed sentence or penalty
you agree that you were responsible for the offence.
https://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/going-court-diversion

Excessive speed - the 25km/h and over job we're talking about, carries a mandatory/fixed sentence/penalty of loss of licence, so you're automatically out for the diversion program.

The second magistrate on going through the licence eligibility order process to get my licence back after the cancellation period, tore me a new ******* over it on the witness stand.

Its very much frowned upon by our magistrates, but other violent crimes are treated way less harshly than speeding offences.
Old 24-09-2023, 02:20 PM   #144
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICKFORD220 View Post
When i do get caught speeding i dont be a smartarse to the coppers and take it like a champ,almost every time they reduce the fine cost and drop the recorded speed down,most cops are reasonable if you dont be a clown.
I tried to pass the attitude test,

He was at my window, and asked - 'how fast do you think you were going'

and I responded 'About 160km/h'.

And he started yelling and then said I got you at 161 and 135, I can book you for either, so I'm going to book you for the 161.

Then because I made an admission, it removed an avenue from my lawyer to negotiate with the prosecutor - that was a massive own goal. It was my first ever offence to with a mint driving history (mint on paper anyway )

I would have been way better off telling him to get ****ed.

Luckily, the prosecution team on the day agreed to drop the dangerous driving charge because my lawyer mentioned that I was going to plead guilty if they agreed to drop it.

If they didn't I was going to plead not guilty and then take up the fight with them in court, then they would have had to prove even though I was driving well over the limit, I wasn't necessarily driving 'dangerously'.

I think you need to pick your battles with where you make your admissions, the low level stuff, sure it doesn't hurt to play the attitude test game, but on the big ones you reduce your legal options when the court summons come in.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 24-09-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Old 24-09-2023, 02:57 PM   #145
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICKFORD220 View Post
I sadly can confirm, that in the State of Dan, even the local copper if on highway patrol duties has his radar, car cam and body cam all linked up. They are basically robots to go along with the puppet judgements... No discretion or thinking allowed.
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2023, 03:53 PM   #146
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
This excessive speed is a summary offence, it comes up as a conviction on a crminal record and has you ticking yes to the criminal record box on job applications and it'll be shown to an employer on a criminal record check, plus effect international travel, you can forget about going to Canada as they're very strict on letting people into their country with criminal convictions.
Good to see NSW are a bit more flexible where the 45km/h over appears.
Think I'll be keeping my NSW Licence.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/sites/default...g_offences.pdf

From one of the many lawyers website..

DO TRAFFIC OFFENCES GO ON A CRIMINAL RECORD?

Traffic offences can be shown on a criminal record, although it will depend on the nature and severity of the crime. If a traffic offence does not go to court, generally it will not appear on a criminal record. Major traffic offences which may appear on your criminal record may include:

Negligent driving (if convicted in court)
Drink driving
Driving under the influence of drugs
Driving whilst on suspension or probation
Being found guilty of a traffic offence whilst on a good behaviour bond
Driving with falsified documents

Old 26-09-2023, 12:04 AM   #147
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Good to see NSW are a bit more flexible where the 45km/h over appears.
Think I'll be keeping my NSW Licence.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/sites/default...g_offences.pdf

From one of the many lawyers website..

DO TRAFFIC OFFENCES GO ON A CRIMINAL RECORD?

Traffic offences can be shown on a criminal record, although it will depend on the nature and severity of the crime. If a traffic offence does not go to court, generally it will not appear on a criminal record. Major traffic offences which may appear on your criminal record may include:

Negligent driving (if convicted in court)
Drink driving
Driving under the influence of drugs
Driving whilst on suspension or probation
Being found guilty of a traffic offence whilst on a good behaviour bond
Driving with falsified documents
NSW is a more lenient on driving offences than VIC,

Not sure about QLD, QLD seems to love massive fines for minor things which is rather strange given QLD is like Australia's equivalent of Florida, markets itself as laid back, slow paced and has a tonne of old 'refugees' escaping VIC weather, but then massive fines and enforcement of minor traffic offences
Old 01-10-2023, 07:29 PM   #148
jakka351

Arrow Re: How Many Times Have You Been Caught Speeding?

I racked up 55 demerit points in the space of 12 months in Victoria. Thank **** they don't apply to my WA license.
jakka351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2023, 06:13 PM   #149
mondeomatureguy

Hi Every one,
I was a professional Driver for 30 years and the last time i was booked was 15 years ago.
Ive been booked 3 times since i got my licence which was in 1976.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post