Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-09-2023, 05:35 PM   #31
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: I'm A Car Enthusiast That is Starting to Hate Cars. Here's Why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Because the minute you tell this mob something they dont want to hear you get put back to the bottom of the pile doing **** work in **** coaches, its the most petulant employer and industry as a whole I've worked in.

I gave them 1 weeks notice 4 weeks ago siting burnout as the reason and said i needed to get away before my frustrations spilled over, they hassled me to stay so by the Thursday I caved in. Spent a week away in Victor Harbor with a school group, took a week off and went back to a week up near Maree with another school group, came back feeling refreshed. Got back to the day to day grind last week and was back doing 12hr shifts by day 2 and 3, bus break downs, copped road rage, by Friday morning I was over it again.
I get why they load me up, in the 12 months I was with them im about the only driver to not put a mark on a coach and as the owner is image concious that compliments him to a T. He actually told me they love me because they can throw anything at me and it gets done right without the constant whinging and issues they get from the others, but everone has their braking point and being that reliable guy has been a rod for my back.

Problem is, the mob I was working for have been buying up all the small operators, keeping the workload whilst selling off the assetts meaning we're covering the work of 6 former operators with only our fleet,. Theres not enough turn around time to do shorter shifts or half days, the coach rolls out at between 6 and 7am for school runs, does charter work all day and expected back for arvo school runs followed by after school sport transfers and we haven't even hit peak yet when summer sports, private charters, cruise season, weddings and wine tours ramp up.

The only upside to what this company has been doing is poaching drivers from other operators as for every driver he gets free's up a seat for me elsewhere.

They we're good to work for, dont get me wrong, but too fast paced and high pressure for what I want in life right now.
Sounds very familiar.
Don’t know your age.but at sixty you can legally reduce your hours via ‘ transition to retirement’

Is there no govco big biz metro fleet near you where you could try the four day thing.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2023, 10:40 PM   #32
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Sounds very familiar.
Don’t know your age.but at sixty you can legally reduce your hours via ‘ transition to retirement’

Is there no govco big biz metro fleet near you where you could try the four day thing.
Oh yeah, theres quite a few rival operators looking for drivers, I can walk into any number of seats tomorrow if I wanted but Im in need of a serious reset at the moment, its been a massive few months.

My point in mentioning my situation in this thread was more about how driving for a living under the recent circumstance has made driving in general, or more importantly, for pleasure, a chore.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-09-2023, 10:51 PM   #33
Techno

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTXR8 View Post
ive got a vw mkv golf R32...1979 mgb....2005 saab 93 aero manual....2005 saab 93 linear convertible ...2006 saab 93 vector and a 2008 renault megane rs cup hatch....need to thin the herd and have maybe 2...3 at the most...
Anybody that owns a vw after there emission lying is a few screws loose from falling apart
Techno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2023, 09:44 PM   #34
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Why don’t you just do three or four days a week
You know it’s hard to get transport jobs that are not 11 or 12 hours a day.
Four days by 12 hours is 48 hours gives you $
Three days by 12 hours is 36 hours maybe not enough $

If the industry is so short of drivers why don’t you just ask the question?

I know a guy here on the Gc that does one day a week drives a brand new electric on the airport Broadbeach run
Then he does ndis care one day and volunteer driving another day

There is a few ways to skin the cat
NDIS and medical treatment drivers are saints. Tip of the hat to them, legends. Bent8 if you want a type of driving that really benefits people, makes a meaningful difference to their lives (ie, they get to live), this could be something to look into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
As someone who's owned well over 100 cars I can say that the novelty has well and truly worn off.
I still update regularly but they're just cars to drive now, not to do up, with the exception of my Ranger which Im adding to for purpose rather than image or enjoyment.

For me it was gradual and the irony being, the internet, a source of so much info, hints and tips set the ball in motion. It started off as a reference point but slowly I spent less time doing and more time reading to the point where I'd rather read of someone elses exploits than tackle my own.

Its not just tinkering that I've lost the passion for either, I once loved driving and even when I began doing it for a living I'd still go on long drives in my own time. Since I returned to the bus industry and due to the severe lack of drivers combined with an employer expanding by the week I found myself doing 50+ hours per week, many days never seeing home in sunlight and its burnt me out in 12 months to the point where any time away from the wheel is spent sleeping or sitting on the couch.
Last Friday I reached tipping point and pulled the pin.

Hoping to recharge my batteries, get away in the new van for a while and when I return, find a job back in the industry in a slower paced environment so I can enjoy driving again.
Hope you recharge yourself well Bent8. I can relate to the reading about vs actually doing stuff. It's happened to the kids too - watch someone else on youtube play the video game vs do it yourself!

If you want a slower paced environment, I can suggest the drive into Geelong - there's so many roadworks you'll be going pretty slow...

Last edited by Sprintey; 13-09-2023 at 10:00 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2023, 09:48 PM   #35
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
My car “hobby” is solitary in the flesh, not a social thing. It’s just one part of a life notion around working and contributing by creating. As society seems to be increasingly stifling true individualism to favour managed categories, it definitely takes the gloss away from mixed fleets.
I'm really interested by this quote Citroënbender. Can you expand on the managed categories bit? I can understand someone who is really into cars having many of them and I can also understand normies looking at them with a bit of disdain - but are you talking about local councils clamping on DIY because I wonder what happens to the car tinkerer if tinkering is banned. He becomes an anarchist, perhaps...
Old 13-09-2023, 09:58 PM   #36
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
That's a recurring theme in this thread, you're the first one to put it so eloquently, there's a lot of people in this thread suffering from burnout, not necessarily from work but their hobbies and probably haven't been able to identify it.

Everyone loves it until they don't all of a sudden then it feels like your dragging yourself out of bed to get something done you previously enjoyed.

One of the things that's been great about this hobby and AFF has been the people I've met from all across the country from different age groups and walks of life, I regret doing it for a career but it lead me to the people and I wouldn't give that up for anything.

That's a really good point. I've always loved building models and have got to the realisation I'm never going to complete them all. And that beyond me building them there's not really much use for them. The realisation is glacial, it'll be a few months more before I begin to sell down the stash I'll never finish building. Maybe the Japanese minimalists have it right.
Old 13-09-2023, 10:03 PM   #37
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno View Post
Because there are no more bargains to be had. What do you call a box fleet. Yes they could be losing there lustre when considering battery operated cars.I was once told they are the future and laughed, but now thin selling my ice cars might be a good idea
You might be right. The 'box' fleet has a common swearword that gets edited out. But I'd say many people would say our 1990s cars are those type of 'boxes' - we love them tho.

Can't see me hanging to collect and preserve an electric car in the future. No passion for them. I tried collecting and keeping my old apple products, like early ipod and Iphone 4 and the batteries decay and leak and swell up and I decided the nostalgia wasn't worth a lithium fire in my house.
Old 13-09-2023, 11:37 PM   #38
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel like this, I think my main reason is I haven’t owned a car that I enjoy driving for years now. Really have to make sure my next car is interesting otherwise I may lose all interest
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2023, 01:26 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
You might be right. The 'box' fleet has a common swearword that gets edited out. But I'd say many people would say our 1990s cars are those type of 'boxes' - we love them tho.

Can't see me hanging to collect and preserve an electric car in the future. No passion for them. I tried collecting and keeping my old apple products, like early ipod and Iphone 4 and the batteries decay and leak and swell up and I decided the nostalgia wasn't worth a lithium fire in my house.
Depends on insurance value
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2023, 07:37 PM   #40
UTXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno View Post
Anybody that owns a vw after there emission lying is a few screws loose from falling apart
really?...even tho my R32 is a 2008 model, which i bought new and the VW lying was after that?....I must have screws loose....maybe I'll just go support Ford ....after all, they never did anything underhanded to the australian public, did they.....
UTXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2023, 07:45 PM   #41
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you really want to downsize your fleet remove Facebook market place... I bought a 5th car yesterday because the wife liked it and I'm still scanning marketplace for what I actually wanted....

Must sell a car soon!
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2023, 08:22 PM   #42
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
Must sell a car soon!
When is the next budget car rescue !!!!!!
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2023, 10:35 PM   #43
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
When is the next budget car rescue !!!!!!
It's started
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2023, 12:12 PM   #44
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watched the video, and take his point on car-centric housing.

It's a bit of a dilemma - have more space for cars, but be located away from amenities or alternate transportation options, or have less space (and money) for cars but be closer to amenities, work, etc.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2023, 11:44 PM   #45
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
It's started
Is it going to appear in the projects section?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2023, 04:33 PM   #46
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Agree with the guys video but its always good to treat it as a hobby like anything else and not be bothered in meeting deadlines for completion.
Just as well he's not into trucks.

I enjoy them for what they are, if they just sit there rotting away that's fine with me too. Car/truck stops, I'm happy to use the good public transport and great walking and cycling routes in this region.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2023, 06:30 PM   #47
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To play devils advocate with my own thread, been reading about marriage levels falling through the floor and men checking out of dating and working absurdly hard - they say this gives more time and money for hobbies, more peace and quiet etc. Apparently 7.2 million men have checked out in the US. That's a lot.

In this case, there would actually be MORE time to be a car enthusiast and tinker and drive the pride'n'joy on the fun twisting roads, rather than the gridlocked commute. Hmmm.
Old 18-09-2023, 07:07 PM   #48
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To play devils advocate with my own thread, been reading about marriage levels falling through the floor and men checking out of dating and working absurdly hard - they say this gives more time and money for hobbies, more peace and quiet etc. Apparently 7.2 million men have checked out in the US. That's a lot.

In this case, there would actually be MORE time to be a car enthusiast and tinker and drive the pride'n'joy on the fun twisting roads, rather than the gridlocked commute. Hmmm.
I cant imagine being in a relationship where im not allowed to do what i want.
So i think its a bit of a scapegoat when blokes say the mrs made them sell the hotrod etc.
Mine cracks it at me when i sell cool cars or bikes.
What i mean is, if you let the mrs win you were never really that passionate anyway.

Same goes for buying
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2023, 07:23 PM   #49
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:

I'm currently in a marriage (26 years) where my wife does not mind that I have a couple of cars. I have worked hard, the mortgage is all but paid off and the kids have flown the coupe.

I'm like a lot of blokes though, and if my marriage was to end for any reason I wouldn't start dating again. I would certainly relish the extra free time, and money, to do what I want.

Men don't tinker anymore though. They go to cafes with their friends, go hiking, wear lycra and block traffic etc.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2023, 01:19 PM   #50
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post

Men don't tinker anymore though. They go to cafes with their friends, go hiking, wear lycra and block traffic etc.
I tinker and also do all those other things, works for me

In regards to the thread, i've become way less OCD about my daily cars and treat them as such. I do often think, "what's the point" about having my weekend cars when I don't get to enjoy them that much due to being so time poor and balancing work with family time. Then I stress about them, every time I drive them. I've definitely changed a bit in that regard.

It wouldn't surprise me if I sold all my weekend cars one day and just bought one car to enjoy and that's it. I've even been thinking about selling my daily AU and getting a 4x4 again as a daily, purely to allow more adventures in my car.

Before I was married I always had a built 4x4 for epic adventures and a manual V8 for the daily. Maybe I should just think about using one of my nice V8 manuals as a daily and treat it for the amount it owes me, rather than what it is actually worth.
Old 19-09-2023, 03:55 PM   #51
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
wear lycra and block traffic etc.
I love this statement, reminds me of racing yachtie scene, once hurling abuse at us sailing on a reach out of Newcastle harbour. While they tacked across our bow.
One yelled, we have right of way, we are RACING, OK yeah we yelled back, we are reduced by draft and can not alter course. We are also 65ft long and made of steel.

3 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2023, 04:40 PM   #52
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Its not getting any easier to have this hobby, parts will get harder to source, skilled labour will become non existent etc. Honestly the whole classic car thing is in a bit of trouble IMO but there is still a market for high end stuff. Its a bit like collecting art work.

More and more I am wondering why I am holding back on keeping things original or not modding to "ruin" the car...for who?

Within reason perhaps.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2023, 06:00 PM   #53
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Going back to YT for a moment. it's funny how all the car guy Youtubers get the blue expressing their frustration with the hobby and how they aren't growing their channels until they introduce an old truck/machinery build onto their channels.

I can think of at least 10-15 recently doing this, the views have climbed as have the subs.
Mostly it starts as a mistake, just buying one to pull their cars around initially until there is so much interest they end up rebuilding it to be reliable then more come by.
Seems the old truck "will it start" video's are popular to start this.

Old 19-09-2023, 06:26 PM   #54
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I'm currently in a marriage (26 years) where my wife does not mind that I have a couple of cars. I have worked hard, the mortgage is all but paid off and the kids have flown the coupe.

I'm like a lot of blokes though, and if my marriage was to end for any reason I wouldn't start dating again. I would certainly relish the extra free time, and money, to do what I want.

I do all that,

Except the hiking, wearing Lycra and block traffic,

So just going to cafe with friends, I'll wear the Lycra though if you pay me

I think most long term married men have the same views that if it ended you'd basically take advantage of having only yourself for company - and there's nothing wrong with that. Then they can burn the candle on both ends like me, there's a reason married men live longer

I'm my friendship groups favorite third and fifth wheel, it's always couples + Franco to all the events

My favourite car is my Mazda B2600 ute, it's absolutely ridiculous, it uses ****loads of fuel, and it's the slowest thing on four wheels but I enjoy it's simplicity.

It has no electrical problems, because it has mirrors you adjust with your hands, windows you wind up or down with a handle and some knobs, sliders and buttons for HVAC controls.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 19-09-2023 at 06:38 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2023, 06:31 PM   #55
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

I'd be more into owning multiple cars if i had any mechanical skills. White collar guy, alas.

This prolly had something to do with it.

BA RTV.

Last edited by anobserver; 19-09-2023 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Link fail
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2023, 07:42 PM   #56
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I love this statement, reminds me of racing yachtie scene, once hurling abuse at us sailing on a reach out of Newcastle harbour. While they tacked across our bow.
One yelled, we have right of way, we are RACING, OK yeah we yelled back, we are reduced by draft and can not alter course. We are also 65ft long and made of steel.
Oh yeah the amount of gumbies yelling 'starboard!' as 5 35ft yachts converge on a marker at once, love that stuff, good times
Old 19-09-2023, 07:44 PM   #57
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
I tinker and also do all those other things, works for me

In regards to the thread, i've become way less OCD about my daily cars and treat them as such. I do often think, "what's the point" about having my weekend cars when I don't get to enjoy them that much due to being so time poor and balancing work with family time. Then I stress about them, every time I drive them. I've definitely changed a bit in that regard.

It wouldn't surprise me if I sold all my weekend cars one day and just bought one car to enjoy and that's it. I've even been thinking about selling my daily AU and getting a 4x4 again as a daily, purely to allow more adventures in my car.

Before I was married I always had a built 4x4 for epic adventures and a manual V8 for the daily. Maybe I should just think about using one of my nice V8 manuals as a daily and treat it for the amount it owes me, rather than what it is actually worth.
My son did this during covid and got the Landrover V8, and it's been so much fun for him doing this and being with his mates who are into the same thing. The car is absolutely loved by the mates for V8 note reasons and it's ability to keep up with 79 series and modded dual cabs when the going gets mad, and it's loved in the family as it has so much character and is so versatile. So you can have both

It's also a classic by 2023 as well!
Old 19-09-2023, 07:54 PM   #58
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Going back to YT for a moment. it's funny how all the car guy Youtubers get the blue expressing their frustration with the hobby and how they aren't growing their channels until they introduce an old truck/machinery build onto their channels.

I can think of at least 10-15 recently doing this, the views have climbed as have the subs.
Mostly it starts as a mistake, just buying one to pull their cars around initially until there is so much interest they end up rebuilding it to be reliable then more come by.
Seems the old truck "will it start" video's are popular to start this.
In contrast I've been enjoying this fellow's videos - pulling down modern engines that have had catastrophic failure and doing the forensic whodunnit to find out if it's terrible design, or neglect, or abuse etc. He's very entertaining, watch him put a steel rod through the holes in the block of this nightmare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqu7B8DPi_o

It sort of says the same thing you are saying - the appeal of the old, simple truck tech when you see what can happen to some of these.