Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-09-2023, 04:58 PM   #61
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Ranger Evolves 19.9.2023

Coming in 2025 and will that be October or November 2025?

Ford seeking to gauge interest 18 months to 2 years out seems a little strange,
does that mean if there’s not much actual interest, Ford will silently cancel?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2023, 01:30 AM   #62
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Average is 12,000km/year for Australian drivers, I'm at 30,000+ but some do more, some do less. Mother dearest averages 7km a week, thats less than 500km/year.

The Ranger hybrid really appeals to me, it would absolutely haul *** being 200KW+, be good on fuel and its not some rattly slow diesel POS. Ford's Ecoboost engines are wicked, the Fiesta ST we have, peak torque starts at 1500 RPM and carries through to 4500 RPM and its only 1.6L, makes the same torque as my old diesel Focus and uses .5L/100km more fuel.
I agree with that. I’d prefer the PHEV over a 4 cylinder diesel. Depending on the price difference

I checked out most of the other PHEVs available in Australia and seems the range varies from 30km to 76km with a few around the 50 mark.
So 45 isn’t amazing but it’s not bad either.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2023, 01:57 AM   #63
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I agree with that. I’d prefer the PHEV over a 4 cylinder diesel. Depending on the price difference

I checked out most of the other PHEVs available in Australia and seems the range varies from 30km to 76km with a few around the 50 mark.
I'm curious if they offer it as an option on the work pack variants like the entry level single and dual cab or just the private buyer top spec pavement princesses like the Wildtrak, a similar deal to the Amarok only having the Ecoboost available in top spec.

I reckon the PHEV will be better than the V6D option. Curious to see the difference in torque figures as well as fuel economy when loaded up to payload and towing capacity - PHEV vs V6D.

I'm over diesel engines in light vehicles, WOFTAM.

Should be left to pumps, power generation, ships and heavy commercial vehicles only, you don't need to waste your time putting up with diesel eccentricity with <4500KG GVM with what forced induction has done to unleaded engines in the past 15 years.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 23-09-2023 at 02:06 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2023, 07:50 AM   #64
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is that range is in the best case scenario. My round trip to work is 45km. I bet I would never make it home on a single charge.
45km a day is a bit over 16,000km in a year. Isn’t the average yearly kilometres traveled a bit over that?
Like it’s not bad but I would have thought a PHEV Ute would have been aiming a little higher.
Isn’t late 30s the lower end of PHEVs range.
My bet is it'll also have regeneration capability, so 35-45kms could potentially be the lower end of the range.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2023, 08:14 AM   #65
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I presume the 76km is RAV4 , there's also Outlander at 84km

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2023, 08:46 AM   #66
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
My bet is it'll also have regeneration capability, so 35-45kms could potentially be the lower end of the range.
Think about it, if 45km is the maximum range at a constant speed, how will regeneration improve on that through braking and accelerating?
Old 23-09-2023, 08:51 AM   #67
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Think about it, if 45km is the maximum range at a constant speed, how will regeneration improve on that through braking and accelerating?
I've seen vids of other ford products (PHEV escape eg) even when at highway/constant speeds, it 'almost' acts as a hybrid in a way.
ie/ sends some of that ICE power back into the batteries as well as regen down hills and braking, which weight of this vehicle, should help.

Unless, the suits just pulled software features out due to $$?

I'm Looking forward to see it.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2023, 09:00 AM   #68
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'm curious if they offer it as an option on the work pack variants like the entry level single and dual cab or just the private buyer top spec pavement princesses like the Wildtrak, a similar deal to the Amarok only having the Ecoboost available in top spec.
Search your heart on what we know about Ford and putting money into entry level Rangers ( example =135 Kw single turbo). An entry level petrol hybrid or PHEV could replace a diesel but not if it’s an expensive premium package.

I think the 2.3 EB PHEV is aimed at 4x4 crew cab Ranger as a diesel alternative, Ford is looking if Buyer will move away from diesel only Ranger (and Everest?)
I don’t think the 2.0 diesel is selling well, this might be a way of replacing it…
Quote:
I reckon the PHEV will be better than the V6D option. Curious to see the difference in torque figures as well as fuel economy when loaded up to payload and towing capacity - PHEV vs V6D.

I'm over diesel engines in light vehicles, WOFTAM.
When constant load increases, a diesel will always have better fuel efficiency over a hybrid particularly when there little or no speed variation. If there’s a lot of speed variations where regen braking adds to energy recovery, the result may be different . Search 2024 Toyota Tacoma, has 2.4 turbo hybrid and V6 diesel like torque at 1700 rpm
Quote:

Should be left to pumps, power generation, ships and heavy commercial vehicles only, you don't need to waste your time putting up with diesel eccentricity with <4500KG GVM with what forced induction has done to unleaded engines in the past 15 years.
The whole reason that diesel Utes and SUVs became a thing was for increased fuel efficiency over the previous crop of petrol engines, hybrid power trains overcome a lot of the deficiencies with using a petrol ICE especially urban driving. The cost of diesel engine is now built into a lot of vehicles let alone maintenance and spare parts being a lot more expensive.

I think the case for petrol hybrids replacing diesels is strong, it will be good to see more options this way as not everyone needs or wants a diesel.

Last edited by jpd80; 23-09-2023 at 09:09 AM.
This user likes this post: