Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #841
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: The Camping Thread

Don't mean to eaves drop on your conversation fellas but I too have been looking at Van options. Even going as far as looking to upgrade the car to accommodate. I agree, since Covid, prices for anything camping or off road related have gone through the roof. Even 4x4's for that matter.

I was looking at the Avan Cruiseliners and they are as much as a full sized caravan new. Hard to find a unit under 5yo that isnt as much as a new unit.

A caravan is something I have considered for a while now. But I also need to consider where Im keeping it stored when not in use. Frankly I would rather it fit in my garage. I currently have a garage thats 6m wide x 6.5 long and a garage door height of 2.55m high. So I am limited to campers. A pop top would be great if I could fit it inside the garage door height. But most of them are at the garage door height in their closed position now and from what I have read, they say you need to allow between 300-600mm clearance for aerials and a/c units etc. So that actually leaves me with units like the Jayco Penguin/Eagle/Swan etc or a toy hauler or pod trailer.

The other issue I have is that my little XV is limited to a measily 1400kg max load rating with a CVT gearbox. Im at that point where Im wondering if its worth it and if the CVT will hold up towing a unit with an ATM of about 1250kg max plus whatever Im hauling in the car.

Im wondering, should I bite the bullet, sell the car and get something that will tow a camper with more ease before I buy the camper?

I did read though that you choose the camper you want beforehand and then get the car that will tow it rather than the other way around.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2020, 11:07 AM   #842
prydey
Rob

It's a bit more work but have you thought about getting something older (and therefore lighter) and then renovating the inside to make it modern and how you want it.

Make sure you check out the max ball load rating, and rear axle rating on your XV too, not just the max tow capacity. Not sure about how the cvt will cope but the engineers who built the car obviously deemed it to be ok.

My last trip I put my swan over a weighbridge. I had very little food on board and empty water tank and just clothing and bedding in the van, and it was just shy of 1400kg, to give you an idea. Tare weight is plated at just over a tonne with 97kg ball weight, so even these wind up type campers can start to weigh a reasonable amount.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #843
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
It's a bit more work but have you thought about getting something older (and therefore lighter) and then renovating the inside to make it modern and how you want it.

Make sure you check out the max ball load rating, and rear axle rating on your XV too, not just the max tow capacity. Not sure about how the cvt will cope but the engineers who built the car obviously deemed it to be ok.

My last trip I put my swan over a weighbridge. I had very little food on board and empty water tank and just clothing and bedding in the van, and it was just shy of 1400kg, to give you an idea. Tare weight is plated at just over a tonne with 97kg ball weight, so even these wind up type campers can start to weigh a reasonable amount.
Thanks for the tip Rob. That seems heavier than I anticipated.

Ball weight on the XV is 100kg max. I dont know what the rear axle rating is either. I did however find this on the Subaru XV forums in the US

Quote:
According to info online, it seems that the base (curb) weight of the 2018 Crosstrek is between 3,100-3,200 lbs., depending on the configuration. Let's just use 3,200 to be safe.

My vehicle lists the following:
GVWR: 4,343 lbs.
GAWR Front: 2,227 lbs.
GAWR Rear: 2,205 lbs.

Subtracting the curb weight from the GVWR gives a calculated (not necessarily recommended) additional load capacity of ~1,143 lbs.

1. Is a full fuel tank included in a vehicle's GVWR?

The manual mentions:
"Vehicle capacity weight of the vehicle is 900 lbs (408 kg), which is indicated on the vehicle placard with the statement “The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 408 kg or 900 lbs”.

We'll go with the manual on this one. So, it seems that you shouldn't exceed 900 lbs. as the maximum cargo weight, including passengers. Makes sense. Now, the second consideration is that you need to make sure you don't overload an axle. There is basically no way to know how much weight on each axle without using a weigh station.

2. Has anyone had their Crosstrek on a weigh station, fully unloaded, to see what the unloaded weight on each axle is?

I'm trying to figure out the base weight on each axle (unloaded) to see how much actual, additional (cargo/passenger) weight can be loaded on each in reality.
I know I can get a HD tow hitch for it (I havent fitted the tow hitch on the car yet) which will place it at 140kg, but it doesn't match what the manufacturers recommend so I am hesitant to do that.

While I know I could 'get away' with perhaps towing the likes of a penguin on the back unladen, Im skeptical as to how the CVT will hold up with say 150-200kg of payload in the van plus 2 adults and 100kg of payload in the car.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 06-11-2020, 02:46 PM   #844
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

considered a forward/rear fold camper trailer?

The one i have is 1050kg and sleeps up to 4 inside, 100ah batyery, LED lighting, 100l water storage, full annex with ensuite tent, slide out 4 burner cooker/sink, fridge slide, 2x 4.5kg gas botyle holders, 2x jerry can holders.
A bit more involved than winding up a Jayco but certainly a good step up from a RTT etc.

They retail new for $14.5k but i know someone who might be selling one 12 months old as new very soon and is willing to hear offers..lol
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-11-2020, 03:52 PM   #845
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
considered a forward/rear fold camper trailer?

The one i have is 1050kg and sleeps up to 4 inside, 100ah batyery, LED lighting, 100l water storage, full annex with ensuite tent, slide out 4 burner cooker/sink, fridge slide, 2x 4.5kg gas botyle holders, 2x jerry can holders.
A bit more involved than winding up a Jayco but certainly a good step up from a RTT etc.

They retail new for $14.5k but i know someone who might be selling one 12 months old as new very soon and is willing to hear offers..lol
Thanks mate, yeah I have looked into the camper trailers both side and rear folding ones and its not something we personally like. I have a mate looking to sell one also and he has offered it to me cheap too. A lot more work to setup for the odd night or 2 I agree.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-11-2020, 12:44 AM   #846
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Well, bit of an update on the accommodation hunt.

Decided to split the diffetence between a pop top caravan and a Jayco style wind up camper and bought a Windsor Rapid which is the best of both worlds.

Its a one owner 2003 model off road, 17' body + beds, full oven, air conditioned, roll out awning, microwave, battery with DC-DC charger and inverter.

I could not believe how mint it is, it looks like its been in a time capsule.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 01:35 AM   #847
prydey
Rob

Windsor rapids/jayco expanda were on our radar too. Rapids have the end/ ends fold up to create a hard roof where the jayco expanda didn't go to that style until about 2010ish. We've kind of decided to wait a year or so before upgrading.

Rapids are pretty light for what they are too depending on the configuration. Still need to watch the weight though. None of these type of vans seems to have much of a payload.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:49 AM   #848
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I was looking at the Avan Cruiseliners and they are as much as a full sized caravan new. Hard to find a unit under 5yo that isnt as much as a new unit.
We owned a A'Van Cruiseliner, bought it for $29k in 2008, sold it in 2016 for $22.5k, we were pretty happy with that

We loved the A'Van, we lived in it for 3 months on long service leave in 2012 while we traveled down the west coast.

The off-road version wasn't available when we bought ours, I would have bought one for sure as we spend a lot of time in the bush, and I skull-dragged the A'Van through a few dodgy bush spots, we really needed an off-roader

Easy to tow, nice and light, easy to set up, heaps of storage space. But the Minister for War & Finance wanted an ensuite and a north-south bed she could walk around

A'Van has a competitor - Bolwell - https://www.bolwellrv.com.au/ they make cars and started doing campers
Old 09-11-2020, 11:17 AM   #849
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
We owned a A'Van Cruiseliner, bought it for $29k in 2008, sold it in 2016 for $22.5k, we were pretty happy with that

We loved the A'Van, we lived in it for 3 months on long service leave in 2012 while we traveled down the west coast.

The off-road version wasn't available when we bought ours, I would have bought one for sure as we spend a lot of time in the bush, and I skull-dragged the A'Van through a few dodgy bush spots, we really needed an off-roader

Easy to tow, nice and light, easy to set up, heaps of storage space. But the Minister for War & Finance wanted an ensuite and a north-south bed she could walk around

A'Van has a competitor - Bolwell - https://www.bolwellrv.com.au/ they make cars and started doing campers
Hey Trevor, Thanks for replying.

Good to hear some real world experiences of the Avans. We are still interested in these little units mainly due to the weight, ease of setup and price you can get them for. I definitely do want the Adventure Plus pack if I can. Its a bit of a price jump but I know I do a bit of off road runs so something with some underbody clearance is favorable but not mandatory. The wife is happy to stay at van parks with ensuite sites if they are available. I talked her out of an ensuite mainly due to me not wanting to empty the cassette.

How have did you find the Avan over time Trevor? What was the a/c like on hot days? Did you experience any drafts with the panels in place? Any tips you can recommend looking out for when owning one of the Avans?

As for the Bolwell's. They look a lot better in terms of design. I do like the look of the Edge. It's got that capsule look about it. It has a 1370 tare and 1640kg ATM. It exceeds my weight limits.

Based on a little bit of research, the 'Air' is over my max weight limits too for the car I currently have. I only have a small CUV with a max TBW of 140kg and max towing ATM weight of 1400kg. The 'air' is 140 tbw but the tare is 1370kg which leaves me 30kg of payload.

Sadly, Unrealistic for this little car. Had I bought a 3.6R Outback with a 1800kg ATM I would be more serious about looking into it further. But I am glad there is a genuine competitor for the Avans.

If I can convince the mrs to upgrade car and look at the Bolwell's then I may have a chance. wish me luck!!

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 09-11-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:27 AM   #850
Trevor 57
is now there

We loved the A'Van, we had NO issues with it all, was very happy with the build quality. We never had an A/C so can't comment.

The 'Adventure Pack' was not available when we bought ours, we would have bought it in a heart beat as most of our camping is in the bush.

We went with the 'infinity' gas hot water service, we had an external shower fitted at purchase (we bought new) and used one of those pup up shower tents on the side of the van - we could shower us, our kids, grandkids, pumping out of rivers and never ran out of hot water.

I modified the table to fold down when not in use, it gave more internal room. And was a feature when we sold it. I removed their fittings and added hinges and a removable leg.

I got a cabinet maker mate of mine to make a big drawer to fit under the bed, it pulled out over a metre on really strong drawer slides, we used that for storing our clothes, rather then lifting up the bed all the time

We had a solar panel added. We changed the interior lights that ran normal 12v globes to LED lights

The awnings are a bit of drama to put on, it is not something you do easily

In W.A.

When we owned an RTV

When it was for sale

The external shower
Old 09-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #851
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
We loved the A'Van, we had NO issues with it all, was very happy with the build quality. We never had an A/C so can't comment.

The 'Adventure Pack' was not available when we bought ours, we would have bought it in a heart beat as most of our camping is in the bush.

We went with the 'infinity' gas hot water service, we had an external shower fitted at purchase (we bought new) and used one of those pup up shower tents on the side of the van - we could shower us, our kids, grandkids, pumping out of rivers and never ran out of hot water.

I modified the table to fold down when not in use, it gave more internal room. And was a feature when we sold it. I removed their fittings and added hinges and a removable leg.

I got a cabinet maker mate of mine to make a big drawer to fit under the bed, it pulled out over a metre on really strong drawer slides, we used that for storing our clothes, rather then lifting up the bed all the time

We had a solar panel added. We changed the interior lights that ran normal 12v globes to LED lights

The awnings are a bit of drama to put on, it is not something you do easily

In W.A.

When we owned an RTV

When it was for sale

The external shower
Thats a brilliant little unit and it still looks like new! Credit to you mate for keeping it in top nick!

The modifications you made sound awesome and seems like it suited your needs well. Great stuff.

I know with the newer generation Avans, most if not all of them have built in a/c units. The condenser is under the bed and requires no obstructions to the return air duct which faces towards the table when in use. You can still use the area underneath, but they do require ease of air flow when in use to get maximum efficiency.

As for the table, it looks like it pulls off and adjust fairly quickly to be made into a bed. I know I wouldnt adjust it for when me and wife use it, but her sister and her family of 4 will need to if they decide to head away for a quick weekend with their 2 small kids.

I definitely do want to get Solar fitted to charge the deep cycle battery. I believe most of them have this fitted as standard, if not, I will get this done prior to purchase new. I not worried about an awning. I saw a video of one being setup and it put me off. Happy to bring the portable 'Aldi' gazebo to use instead. Much easier to setup.

Been eyeing of this unit. https://www.avanadelaide.com.au/curr...adventure-plus

Its expensive for what it is. You can get a full size caravan for the same price but I would need to buy a car with the correct weight limits at the same time to pull a proper caravan of equivalent value.

My problem is, I can only store it in my garage. The garage door is 2.55m high. The garage space is 6m x 6.5m deep and still has to house the car in it also. I have no other area to fit the van. So I am limited in what I can buy.

My thoughts are, to buy the Avan and use it as much as possible for about 2-3yrs. We are looking to build a new home between now and then. We will have space for 4 vehicles then. After we move, we sell the Avan and the car and then upgrade to a proper sized van and car. Its not financially smart, but we want to have some holidays in the mean time. The other option is to just hire a similar sized van if we want to get away which can also save 'some' money and storage hassles. I much prefer to own though so I can do as I please.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #852
Trevor 57
is now there

I loved the fact that the A'Van could be parked in the garage, was friggin' awesome. I had to build a lean-to for our current van.

Our HWS was under the bed, not sure where to do them now as was the battery, it was a bit of a pain to get to to service, lifting the heavy bastard battery in and out was hard work, maybe they place them different now rather than under the bed right at the side and towards the back - our van had the 1D floor plan - https://www.avan.com.au/our-range/ca.../6-cruiseliner

Oh, a couple of drama's, pretty small as they were. The top part of flue from the fridge that point to external broke off and was heating the inside of the cabinetry, pretty common on them back then. Also, the little tray that collects water from the fridge condenser overflowed when we had the fridge running for 3 months, I just moved the drain to flow external

Be careful when traveling if you don't have a 2nd battery in your car, the fridge will drain your battery when parked in about 3 hours. I fitted a relay to cut power to the fridge when we parked up, actually I used an old fashioned starter solenoid, does same thing as a relay and it is a bit more heavy duty with the power supply to the van. Gonna fit one to the current van soon too

Last edited by Trevor 57; 09-11-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #853
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
I loved the fact that the A'Van could be parked in the garage, was friggin' awesome. I had to build a lean-to for our current van.
That is what I like the most. Out of the weather means it looks newer and less chance of being stolen.

Quote:
Our HWS was under the bed, not sure where to do them now as was the battery, it was a bit of a pain to get to to service, lifting the heavy bastard battery in and out was hard work, maybe they place them different now rather than under the bed right at the side and towards the back - our van had the 1D floor plan - https://www.avan.com.au/our-range/ca.../6-cruiseliner
The batteries for the newer generations are still under the bed, albeit, right at the back. This gives you more photos on what they are like https://www.caravancampingsales.com....18105156/?Cr=1

The layout for your one looks very similar and by the looks of it, the layouts havent changed much at all.

Quote:
Oh, a couple of drama's, pretty small as they were. The top part of flue from the fridge that point to external broke off and was heating the inside of the cabinetry, pretty common on them back then. Also, the little tray that collects water from the fridge condenser overflowed when we had the fridge running for 3 months, I just moved the drain to flow external
I believe the fridge flue vents to atmosphere now. So thsi should have been rectified. But I will definitely ask when the time comes to make sure. The fridge overflow, thats good that you got it to drain externally. Nothing worse than having to clean up water when that happens. I will make sure this is in place too. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Be careful when traveling if you don't have a 2nd battery in your car, the fridge will drain your battery when parked in about 3 hours. I fitted a relay to cut power to the fridge when we parked up, actually I used an old fashioned starter solenoid, does same thing as a relay and it is a bit more heavy duty with the power supply to the van. Gonna fit one to the current van soon too
Thats a good point. I will be fitting an andersen plug, electronic brake controller and a control solenoid so that it cuts off power before it kills the battery. I think its worth paying extra money for for that peace of mind.

These are great tips Trev. Really appreciate your solid input into this unit. I'll be getting some quotes for the car to be fitted with a tow bar, andersen plug and EBC this week.

Speaking of Andersen plugs, do the Avans have that built into their wiring loom already or is it another plug you need to add when fittng a towbar?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 12:32 PM   #854
Trevor 57
is now there

Mine never came with an Anderson plug, we bought new in 2008

The fridge flue does vent external, but the tip breaks off, we had to pop rivet it in place so it wouldn't break off again

Sounds like the battery is still in the same place - look after your back
Old 09-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #855
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Mine never came with an Anderson plug, we bought new in 2008

The fridge flue does vent external, but the tip breaks off, we had to pop rivet it in place so it wouldn't break off again

Sounds like the battery is still in the same place - look after your back
will do. I know how heavy those things are if I have to move them. Its a shame there is not external side access to that are to get to them there.

I'll keep an eye out for the fridge tip. You would think after all these years they would have sorted that issue by now? At least I am aware of it.

Thanks for your help

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-11-2020, 01:47 PM   #856
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Windsor rapids/jayco expanda were on our radar too. Rapids have the end/ ends fold up to create a hard roof where the jayco expanda didn't go to that style until about 2010ish. We've kind of decided to wait a year or so before upgrading.

Rapids are pretty light for what they are too depending on the configuration. Still need to watch the weight though. None of these type of vans seems to have much of a payload.
Yes, i believe the rapids design was off limits to Jayco until then as the original expanda's had the canvas top with poles like the bed ends on your camper. This meant that if the canvas was wet at time of packup it ended up getting water inside the van whereas the rapid canvas folds up outside the bedfloor and is sealed by the hatch when put down.

Ive always liked the rapid but were often expensive, we paid a little more than we budgeted for but when we saw how it had been kept i couldnt walk away.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2020, 10:30 AM   #857
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are also looking at a caravan down the track. I've just been looking randomly on gumtree and notice there is a few caravan dealers in Adelaide. There is on here locally too. I know next to nothing about caravans and im trying to get a feel for prices and models/layouts/setups. We wouldn't anything fancy, about a 15-20k budget and I don't mind pop tops. North/South wing beds would be preferred.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2020, 10:48 AM   #858
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post
We are also looking at a caravan down the track. I've just been looking randomly on gumtree and notice there is a few caravan dealers in Adelaide. There is on here locally too. I know next to nothing about caravans and im trying to get a feel for prices and models/layouts/setups. We wouldn't anything fancy, about a 15-20k budget and I don't mind pop tops. North/South wing beds would be preferred.
We have an Avan pop top with single rear beds,side kitchen and front seating and table.Haven’t had much to do with caravans,but see the debate of pop top vs rigid.I guess there are arguments for and against either type.I like the pop top because it seems to have better air flow on warm days.weight wise the rigid is probably slightly lighter because of less framing.We don’t have an ensuite because we prefer bush camping,so use a porta potti and pop up shower tent with either the gas HWS in the van or I heat up 20litres with a homemade heat exchanger on the tow ute
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2020, 11:06 AM   #859
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
We have an Avan pop top with single rear beds,side kitchen and front seating and table.Haven’t had much to do with caravans,but see the debate of pop top vs rigid.I guess there are arguments for and against either type.I like the pop top because it seems to have better air flow on warm days.weight wise the rigid is probably slightly lighter because of less framing.We don’t have an ensuite because we prefer bush camping,so use a porta potti and pop up shower tent with either the gas HWS in the van or I heat up 20litres with a homemade heat exchanger on the tow ute
Yes, the arrangements and accessories appear endless. Ensuite and toilet would be handy but maintenance and water loading/emptying comes to mind. So rigid is lighter? Well ive learnt something already. I like the idea of the caravans that collapse for travelling considering aerodynamics, but are they then more work? Mate of mine recently bought a Jayco pop top and spent an hour setting it up. I got to our spot much later then him, pulled out our roof top tent, trestle, weber and tubs and had a beer while he was still sorting out poles - hes also very particular and OCD I swear.

edit - and to be fair his sleeping arrangements, comfort and shelter was far greater than mine.

Current
Previous

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 10-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #860
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Yes, the arrangements and accessories appear endless. Ensuite and toilet would be handy but maintenance and water loading/emptying comes to mind. So rigid is lighter? Well ive learnt something already. I like the idea of the caravans that collapse for travelling considering aerodynamics, but are they then more work? Mate of mine recently bought a Jayco pop top and spent an hour setting it up. I got to our spot much later then him, pulled out our roof top tent, trestle, weber and tubs and had a beer while he was still sorting out poles - hes also very particular and OCD I swear.

edit - and to be fair his sleeping arrangements, comfort and shelter was far greater than mine.
When you say pop top, are you referring to the wind up camper vans? Pop top vans are almost the same as a full size van except the final 40cm or so pops up to make it full height when setting up. If someone was still setting things up an hour later it sounds like you may be referring to the wind up style camper vans.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #861
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When you say pop top, are you referring to the wind up camper vans? Pop top vans are almost the same as a full size van except the final 40cm or so pops up to make it full height when setting up. If someone was still setting things up an hour later it sounds like you may be referring to the wind up style camper vans.
Im not sure, solid body bar the top which I thought from memory was only the top section of roof, with north and south wings.

Current
Previous

Old 10-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #862
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im not sure, solid body bar the top which I thought from memory was only the top section of roof, with north and south wings.
Reckon it was one of those wind up camper trailers.I reckon it takes me 5 minutes to undo the corner lock down clips,pop up the top,wind down the legs and roll out the awning.5 mins to set up the ensuite tent,then into the Waeco for a cold one
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #863
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Maybe an expanda type van, which is essentially a pop top with pull out beds at one or both ends. An hour seems a long time still to set up but having said that, I could do mine in 20min if I wanted but mostly I'm still puttering about an hour later. I don't like rushing
Old 10-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #864
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Maybe an expanda type van, which is essentially a pop top with pull out beds at one or both ends. An hour seems a long time still to set up but having said that, I could do mine in 20min if I wanted but mostly I'm still puttering about an hour later. I don't like rushing
Maybe. He did set out an awning, and hes fairly new to camping and setting it up too; and he does like to be very precise. He's a walking level, if you closely you'll see bubbles in his retinas and when you pull on his nose laser pointers shoot out of his ears.

Current
Previous

2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2020, 01:36 PM   #865
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

There are pro's and con's to every style as ive said before, there really isnt one that suits every need.
From my perspective a lot depends on space requirements, if its just 2 people a solid or pop top van will do and good ones can be had cheap, especially ones with single bed arrangements at the moment whilst younger couples unable to go to bali have exhausted the island bed market.
Add kids to the equation and finding the right one becomes harder and space decreases, trust me, i know from recent experience.
The next option if you dont mind climbing over each other in bed and need room for a tin lid is an expanda or rapid like what ive just bought, you get all the benefits of protection from the elements as a solid or pop top but without the beds cutting into living space.
Next is your Avan type camper, again solid walls protecting you from the elements but consumed by bed space.
Next is the wind up camper like Rob's, the beds leave you living space but being canvassed walls exposes you to wind and heat/cold.

For 15-20k in Adelaide right now you'll get a good used wind up of between 5 and 15yrs old depending on layout, it will also secure you a 10+yo Avan camper, or a 10+yo poptop or solid van.

Personally after doing a lot of looking and considering i found the expanda or rapid to be the best compromise for interior room and sleeping capabilities and these can be found in different arrangements, however, Jayco's hold their money for some reason, they are the Holden/Commodore of the vanning world, a Windsor rapid is better and often cheaper.
I paid what i thought was a premium for the one i just bought at $21k for an 03 model but it is immaculate and thats how i like to buy things, i knocked back a 2009 17' Jayco discovery pop top in immaculate condition for similar coin on space alone. Having shown pics of the Rapid to the people in the van yard i work casually for, they said straight out its worth high 20's every day as is so im content.

Last edited by BENT_8; 10-11-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:53 AM   #866
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Well, arrived home yesterday after 6 nights at West Beach in the new van and i have to say its one of the best purchases we've ever made.
Treated it as a shakedown for the van, what we needed and what was surplus.

First thing i noticed was the TV aerial the previous owner had devised, a basic 'T' style on a telescopic pole, after hunting around the van for where they attached i gave up and rang them...we just stood it up next to the van and tied it to the awning, they said.
Fark that dodgy ****, so on Monday morning i bee lined for the closest caravan spares joint and bought a proper fitting kit which i added my own better quality aerial to before anyone could notice.

I also discovered the little switch on the doorlight was sticky, the rubber boot had perished and the lense had yellowed, so i grabbed a complete new unit from the same place.
We were expecting 30kn winds on Tuesday and so i wanted to secure the awning with guy ropes, the van came with the guy ropes but nothing to attach them to the awning with, so i grabbed some awning 'C' clips too.

The only other thing i found needed addressing was the entry step, being the off road version and although it has a step down its still quite high so i bought a double plastic step as a temporary solve and booked the van in to have a retractable aluminium setup installed.

All in all we're stoked with how comfortable it was and cant wait to get out again.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #867
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
of f**k sorry sorry mate,
musical...

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unpredictable seas
To bear with unbearable sorrow
the laughing stock the owners have become
To run where idiots have gone before etc etc
I hope your not offended, and yes you came from Whyalla but surely your've heard all their crap before....
So I guess you hear the ferry is up and running again. Hope you're hungry because you've got some words to eat

So for those who think the west coast is too far from Adelaide; which im inclined to agree with, there is a ferry between Wallaroo and Lucky Bay (Cowell) which still puts you 1.5 hours drive to Lincoln. I think the initiative of the ferry was to help reduce the amount of trucks on the road. The time youd save driving and fuel costs are sucked up by the cost to use it and its waiting time to get on so the biggest upside is less fatigue and an experience.

spencer gulf sea road/

Current
Previous

Old 07-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #868
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

done the trip twice on BOTH previous ferries, now I used to do Adelaide -Pt Lincoln road trip every 2 weeks, so I had my times down very tight.
Pt Wakefield - Pt Augusta 2 hours, Augusta to Cowell 2 hours = 4 hours
From memory the old ferries both everything included took 5.5 hours, I know thats changed now.
also they used to charge for car AND driver around $150 I had an extra passenger $50

so total $200 approx, my utes have always been dedicated gas =60litres @ .80c/L ave 14L/100K $48.oo

Its stupid thinking of taking a family on board.

They are still dreaming about roadtrain traffic, aint going to happen.

time was
Old 07-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #869
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
So I guess you hear the ferry is up and running again. Hope you're hungry because you've got some words to eat

So for those who think the west coast is too far from Adelaide; which im inclined to agree with, there is a ferry between Wallaroo and Lucky Bay (Cowell) which still puts you 1.5 hours drive to Lincoln. I think the initiative of the ferry was to help reduce the amount of trucks on the road. The time youd save driving and fuel costs are sucked up by the cost to use it and its waiting time to get on so the biggest upside is less fatigue and an experience.

spencer gulf sea road/
Just worked out the fare for us with van...$455 one way..
I'd rather add an extra day each way, stay overnight in Pt Augusta or Whyalla and pocket the change.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:40 PM   #870
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

completely agreed the prices are outrageous.

Current
Previous