Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Closed Thread

Old 21-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #31
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: IT section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise
Yeah Im a network admin, last thing I wanna do when I get home is fix other peoples ******. 99% of the time youll find something through googling an error message.

That being said, I would still help out other forum members and give advice where possible

EDIT:
I also object to the section being called the Geek corner or something like that. I am the IT guy during the day at work and Im not a Geek. You dont see people like me on beauty and the geek
Same situation here - I'm another network admin. "ICT" would encompass smartphones, pc's, mac's etc.

And for those who need it. Some definitions...

geekNoun/gēk/

1. An unfashionable or socially inept person.
2. A person with an eccentric devotion to a particular interest: "a computer geek".

nerdNoun/nərd/
1. A foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious: "one of those nerds who never asked a girl to dance".
2. An intelligent, single-minded expert in a particular technical discipline or profession.

Although I work with computers all day, every day and use them at home all the time... I don't think I can fit myself into either of those definitions.
Old 21-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #32
robbyj
Rob

well ill be the first to ask a question and get the ball rolling

I want to set up a file sharing server and run a webserver off it, just to play around with, making websites and what not, not to specifically host anything to the WWW, just to mates etc.

Is there a guide anyone knows of that step by step teaches how to set this all up? Installing linux (Ubuntu im guessing would be the best way), configuring it, etc etc
Old 21-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #33
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

Like Wise said, after doing 12 hours of it your brain needs to chill, but I am always more than happy to help out where possible and point people in the right direction...

edit: I also play WoW and own a big block ute...
Old 21-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #34
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuleh

I want to set up a file sharing server and run a webserver off it, just to play around with, making websites and what not, not to specifically host anything to the WWW, just to mates etc.

Is there a guide anyone knows of that step by step teaches how to set this all up? Installing linux (Ubuntu im guessing would be the best way), configuring it, etc etc
I decided to set my webserver up with windows server 2003 simply because it was an easier learning curve . it is not overly demanding on hardware.
I use abyss web server for the HTTP server , I think it is also available for lynux if thats how you go. Mdaemon for the mail server Quick n Easy FTP server and real VNC for remote desktop control ( far easier and smoother than windows remote desktop)

I am running a HP proliant G3 ML 370 dual 3GB Xeon 6Gb and a raid 5 array with ultra 320 SCSI drives with dual redundant power supplies

this may sound like an expensive setup but mine owes me about $350 including a rack and a dell dual core server as a reserve all from ebay except the rack which I got for $20 from the local tender centre
Although not essential a static IP is a good way to go and if you don't have a domain name you can just use the IP for all but mail

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO

Last edited by FGII-XR6; 21-09-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 21-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #35
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuleh

You might need to be a bit more specific about what you are trying to do.

Linux is a great OS to do what you want but there can be a steep learning curve if you have never dabbled in Unix before.

I use Redhat linux and Centos (free version of Redhat) but ubuntu is a good choice.
Old 21-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys, this is not the place for this sort of thread. Try "advice central" or "the bar".
Old 21-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #37
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

What Flappy said ..... "Advice Central" is the place for IT questions. A specific area isnt needed as that area works well and there are just too many other forums for the real serious buffs (nerds)

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread