Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Car salesman mistakes

With the great breadth of opinion on the actions of a car salesman in another thread I thought a thread on "When salesmen got it wrong" might show a few laughs.

A few of mine.

In 2002 I looked at buying a XR8. During the test drive the salesguy says "and you think this is good, the new model in a couple of months will have the mustang engine". Silly boy..

In 2003 I went to a HSV dealer 3 times to buy a GTS Coupe that they had on the floor for $109,000 + ORC. 3 times I asked for a test drive, 3 times I was given some silly excuse. He was a bit upset when I parked my brand new GT-P in his driveway a few months later.

Anyone else got any good ones?

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #2
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I enquired about a used car once via the internet, and all I got in return was the dealer calling me names.
Old 23-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'm semi-seriously looking at buying a BF XR8 Ute so have had a look around at some. Found one in Victoria and the dealer said to me "mate I wouldnt bother coming down, just buy an FG. I can do you one cheap".
Old 23-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconboy
Yeah, I enquired about a used car once via the internet, and all I got in return was the dealer calling me names.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was talking to a Ford dealer, and he told me that Ford never released a BF II ES, i said yes they did my mates dad bought one, and he said "No, you're thinking of the SR"
want-a-XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #6
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I made an enquiry once over the internet about a car and foolishly gave my real number. The salesman then proceeded to hound me every single day even after I said a) wasn't interested any longer & b) can't afford it.

By the second week, had enough and told him if he called again I would come into his work and he would find out just how cranky a pregnant woman can be.

He stupidly rang me again the next day :

Yes I went to his place of business and you can bet your life on the fact he will never ever be calling me again for the rest of his natural working life
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

I had a laugh at that one to falconboy :
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #8
whiskieboy

As a long term ford engine plant employee, I have been told some absolute crap by salesmen who try to tell me things like " this 6cyl engine comes from the states" and I say NO I actually built that engine, he says no I think your wrong this comes from the states, of course by this time im cheesed off and express my opinion on how can he tell me what I do and dont do for a living, so I explain exactly what we do in the engine plant even give him an open invite to come see and he tells me im mistaken because HE KNOWS these engines come from the states.
whiskieboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 11:37 PM   #9
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

in the dealership, i had a pretty woman salesperson, whilst looking at the new cobra i noticed the front right slotted rotor was actually on backwards
(a front left rotor was used)

i walked over to the tyhpoon next to it to show my girlfriend what it should look like......only to find that the front LEFT was wrong on this one

i explained to the woman and she laughed (but was quite concerned and offered me a job) and then told me both cars had their front wheels stolen the other night......looks like the cars were left sitting on the disc brakes and had to be replaced lol
Old 23-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #10
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskieboy
As a long term ford engine plant employee, I have been told some absolute crap by salesmen who try to tell me things like " this 6cyl engine comes from the states" and I say NO I actually built that engine, he says no I think your wrong this comes from the states, of course by this time im cheesed off and express my opinion on how can he tell me what I do and dont do for a living, so I explain exactly what we do in the engine plant even give him an open invite to come see and he tells me im mistaken because HE KNOWS these engines come from the states.
haha thats a corker!
Old 23-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #11
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Certain Ford salesman in Adelaide flogging me a AUIII XR8. Knew I was layed up for a few days with a little surgery and rings me repeatedly as he needed me to sign up for my car. Hence I ordered my VX post recovery.

Wayyy long ago certain used car salesman on Main Nth Road in the passenger seat of a XB GT I was test driving....'i can see a little bit of you in this car' and other typical classic lines. Put me right off....wish he hadnt!!!!!!!!! $5.5K matching numbers manual sedan. I wish he had of been a BETTER salesman.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 11:57 PM   #12
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

I was being tendered to by a young salesperson at a Holden dealer as the VY company car was being serviced. Then... the salesman (Mr hotshot) rocks up to the scene...

Holden salesman: The new VE is awesome, it's European, just like an Audi

Me: Wow, that's good.

After the test drive...

Salesman: So, what did you think? It's great isn't it?!?!

Me: hmmm... quite disappointed actually... you told me it's like an Audi but.... I have to disagree with you on that, it's nothing like an Audi.

UPSET Salesman: Mate the VE is alot better than an Audi, Audis are S*@T!!!

Me: So why were you telling me "it's like an Audi" before the test drive?

Then he gets ushered away by another salesperson.
Old 23-10-2008, 11:58 PM   #13
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went to a used car lot in Tamworth and was looking at an AU XR8, asked the bloke what it was and he said it was a S1, ok, but something didn't look right and i when i started scratching my head he asked what was wrong. I told him the body kit didn't look right for a S1 and he told me it was an Ford employee's car from the local dealership and he'd made some changes. I then looked at more of the car the more i was sure it was a S2 and sure enough as soon as i opened the doors i new.

Unfortunately there was another guy had purchased it, just waitin on his finance to come through so i missed out on it, a low K S2 for series 1 prices couldn't have bet it.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 12:01 AM   #14
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many moons ago a mate and I went into a yard and looked at a sweet HZ V8 they had in there. Listened intently as the salesman listed all the mods done to the motor etc....
Laughed our heads off as we left. I had owned that car and built that motor.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 12:06 AM   #15
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Was told by nice lady salesperson after loonking at some G6E's ...... "These were designed by Aston Martin .... you can tell by how they look ....... and they are much cheaper too!"

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 12:13 AM   #16
Dezza
Parts bin special

Not exactly a salesman story but funny none-the-less. I seem to have people telling me to buy a new car regularly. Not because there is anything wrong with mine, just because it's an EA, and therefore has the reputation of being an unreliable pig, even if that's completely untrue.

Anyway one day a friend goes "I saw this nice EL. What do you think of Green?". I responded "Um. Not too bad. What is it? GLi, Fairmont, XR?" and he goes "Think it's a GLi". I just told him my car is fine, and there is not a hope in hell I'd go from a fully working Ghia to a GLi. I wouldn't buy a car just because it's green either.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 12:14 AM   #17
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

The issue I seem to have in dealing with car sales people is that they seem to know jack about the cars and have to keep referring to their little books. The thing I dislike most about car sales people are the ones that will not give you a price and insist you make offers or ask you to come back with a quote from some one else so they can better it.
Old 24-10-2008, 12:16 AM   #18
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh just remembered another one

Was seriously looking at buying another car a few years ago so that could take my car off the road to pretty her up a bit.
Walked into a Ford dealership in Brisbane, didn't say I was looking at another car and was greeted by one of the guys there that had met before. His opening comment after hello was 'isn't it time you got rid of the old car and got yourself something newer and more reliable'.

I took great offense to this considering haven't really had that many problems (and none really expensive ones) with my car (touching wood as I type).

Needless to say I still have my baby
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #19
seduced_xr
BF XR6

when the car was being decided on it was a close call between :

BF XR6
VE SV6
Audi A6.

audi let u have a 10 minute test drive and were full of stuck up pricks
holden wouldnt let us test drive without a dealer employee in the back and then didnt have a clue wheter we could option the colour screens and wat not out of the calais into it. and never phoned us back.. walked into park ford a week later. 'hi we'd like to test drive an xr6' dealer employee throws us his own personal xr6 painted in seduce and said see you when you get back.

next day we ordered a seduce xr6 with all the candy
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #20
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Was told by nice lady salesperson after loonking at some G6E's ...... "These were designed by Aston Martin .... you can tell by how they look ....... and they are much cheaper too!"
Now that is completely wrong.

No wonder Ford are struggling with sales.
Even the naive know when they're being fed complete and utter bullpoop such as this.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 12:22 AM   #21
seduced_xr
BF XR6

lol i rekon with a bunch of people off the forums here we could run a very successful ford dealership :P
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 12:28 AM   #22
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduced_xr
holden wouldnt let us test drive without a dealer employee in the back and then didnt have a clue wheter we could option the colour screens and wat not out of the calais into it. and never phoned us back..
walked into park ford a week later. 'hi we'd like to test drive an xr6' dealer employee throws us his own personal xr6 painted in seduce and said see you when you get back.

That's encouraging to see a Ford dealer employee go out of their way, even giving the keys to their personal XR6 after having being treated like cattle by Audi (whose cars I don't mind too much), and Holden.

Encouraging especially given the number of bad stories we hear about Ford dealerships.

I will say that Holden treated my father very well when he bought his car. There was only one rude salesmen there. They were patient too.

There's good and bad of everything I suppose. Just a case of weeding out.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 24-10-2008, 12:29 AM   #23
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
lol i rekon with a bunch of people off the forums here we could run a very successful ford dealership :P
"COULD" being the operative word.

It would require a LOT of capital!

Personally speaking, I don't have a lot to inject, unless footy cards can be instantly redeemed for cash.

Not that you'd want me in any venture anyway...:P

Don't snap my undies.
Old 24-10-2008, 12:32 AM   #24
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
when the car was being decided on it was a close call between :

BF XR6
VE SV6
Audi A6.

holden wouldnt let us test drive without a dealer employee in the back and then didnt have a clue wheter we could option the colour screens and wat not out of the calais into it. and never phoned us back.. walked into park ford a week later. 'hi we'd like to test drive an xr6' dealer employee throws us his own personal xr6 painted in seduce and said see you when you get back.

I must say, one of the forums sponsoring car dealers, allowed me to drive his GTE and F6. Also brought the F6 along to our car club meeting and previously his XR6 for all members to test drive. He is a very brave man. Also very knowledgeable on his products. I just hope his price is as good :
Old 24-10-2008, 12:32 AM   #25
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Once seen a person who bought a used car and was told by the salesman it had a sports exhaust. After they bought it, turned out to have a standard exhaust with a nice big hole rusted out of it.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 12:47 AM   #26
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

whenever my mother buys a car she'll always insist on my opinion. So when it came time to buy a new ride she had already narrowed it down to a 2006 Subaru Forrester or a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander.

We had looked at the Forrester and it had passed to an acceptable standard...but when the salesperson came on a ride-a-long in the Outlander he continuoly showed how much grunt the car had by flooring it every chance he had.

The Outlander had a display screen that had its fuel consumption on it, and after the salesman playing Mr.Leadfoot for about 30mins said one of the most precious and magical things i had ever heard "It's not only powerful, but its great if you want a car the can achieve 21L/100Km"

I just LOLed and LOLed and LOLed and LEFT.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 01:04 AM   #27
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Not so much a sales person but at the Ford parts (across the road from the manufacturing plant....well a little down the street but good enough).

Went in to get a Ford filter for the BA and was told the filter was the same as the BF motors. I told him that they actually weren't and were smaller. He disagreed until he had a look on the parts system and then saw he was wrong. That was quite worrying.
Old 24-10-2008, 01:39 AM   #28
scottmeister
see my vest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Not so much a sales person but at the Ford parts (across the road from the manufacturing plant....well a little down the street but good enough).

Went in to get a Ford filter for the BA and was told the filter was the same as the BF motors. I told him that they actually weren't and were smaller. He disagreed until he had a look on the parts system and then saw he was wrong. That was quite worrying.
Haha, that caught me off guard first oil change I did in the BF... had my Z9 all ready to go, oil dumped....ohh it seems this thread is too large... :( Z181, pfft!
scottmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 02:33 AM   #29
EB_5.0_WAGON
Formerly known as NUDGE

I can rememeber years ago I walked into a small car yard to look at a couple of cars. The owner/salesman came up to me and the first words out of his mouth were " Are you looking or buying" I said i aren't sure yet and why did he want to know?

His answer was " well if you have money i will talk to you but otherwise im busy"

Needless to say i walked out of there with the $10,000 still in my back pocket.
2004 Toyota Prado GXL
EB_5.0_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #30
desGT

Went into a HSV dealer with son (he is Holden, I am Ford:-). We had been doing a bit of work and yeah, the jeans had seen better days. Salesman came out, took one look at us and walked away. Gave him a wave as I got into the Porsche.
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post