Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #61
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Default Re: Scott Mo and other pollies

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
fair enough, but he does reference some relevant stats which are pretty hard to argue with.

1. the NSW government cut the number of fire management officers (who have overall responsibility for hazard reduction burns) from 36 to 10. the situation is so ridiculous, the government has asked some of these staff to come back and help without pay https://www.abc.net.au/radio/program...t-pay/11795824

2. they've slashed the amount of hazard reduction burning, and have ceased maintaining fire trails altogether http://www.pennysharpe.com/cuts_to_n..._bushfire_risk
Unfortunately more arguments based on political allegiances cloud our judgement.

Suppose Scomo cuts the budget to the ABC.

The ABC in turn decides to sack B1 and B2.

You can see the headlines, no?

So who is responsible for sacking B1 and B2?
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #62
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

8 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #63
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
and here's why!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsf9JVHmISY
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #64
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
fair enough, but he does reference some relevant stats which are pretty hard to argue with.

1. the NSW government cut the number of fire management officers (who have overall responsibility for hazard reduction burns) from 36 to 10. the situation is so ridiculous, the government has asked some of these staff to come back and help without pay https://www.abc.net.au/radio/program...t-pay/11795824

2. they've slashed the amount of hazard reduction burning, and have ceased maintaining fire trails altogether http://www.pennysharpe.com/cuts_to_n..._bushfire_risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
that's the same guy who cried when billary lost to scomo,,
and then preceded to go full on SJW on the oz public, not interested in he's opinions...
and please don't edit my posts, that takeing out of context..^^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4SawI2mSco

Last edited by burnz; 27-12-2019 at 06:20 PM.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2019, 12:29 AM   #65
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wasn't quoting his opinions. just the stats.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2019, 12:35 AM   #66
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I wasn't quoting his opinions. just the stats.
I really wish we as Aussies can just get back to making practical decisions.

Really fed up with the ideology one way or the the other.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #67
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I really wish we as Aussies can just get back to making practical decisions.

Really fed up with the ideology one way or the the other.
Fair call. They need to make decisions that are good for the countries future, not short sighted decisions to help them win the next election.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #68
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Fair call. They need to make decisions that are good for the countries future, not short sighted decisions to help them win the next election.
Quote of the day
2 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #69
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think we can all agree but the media and political system works on 3 year election cycles, for the pollies you just need to stay in long enough to get your benefits then who cares.

With the media they keep pushing their own agenda, it's a propaganda machine so great that Joseph Goebbels would tip his metaphorical hat at them from down in hell.

The irony is that 'journalists' these days are all university educated but they can't think for themselves and are just mouth pieces for their overlords, taking things out of context and making thinly veiled hit pieces at who ever gets in their way.

The problem with all forms of media is that they're showing 'sound bites' - you can't communicate properly taking snippets out of context.

You can see it with the shift towards social media away from traditional methods like forums, forums are for in-depth discussion but it's an old out of date communication method from yesterday.

Social media is the sound bite of internet communication, you can't have an in-depth discussion in 250 characters of Twitter but the move towards this communication is a reflection of our society as a whole.

But the media is there to sell headlines to get your attention, to sell advertising space to corporates to convince you to buy their products.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 28-12-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #70
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
But the media is there to sell headlines to get your attention, to sell advertising space to corporates to convince you to buy their products.
And that right there is the point. The media are not there to educate you. You are not the customer you are the product they are selling, to advertisers, who are the customer.

Their job is to get and hold your attention. In the case of news and current affairs that means CONVINCING you they are honest and trustworthy information source, not BEING and honest and trustworthy information source.

I really hate getting drawn back into climate change debates. I spent 1000's of hours over a decade not only reading the peer reviewed papers but sourcing the data where I could and checking the methodology. As far as the science goes the contention that we are a significant source of global warming is ambiguous. Almost everything you have heard in the media and by ideological campaigners on soc media is lies.

I personally can attest to the BOM's dodgy practices. I KNOW the Ipswich weather station has been in operation into the 1800's, but when I tried to buy the data set (after the bom started charging for them) they refused to supply beyond 1941. I wish I had downloaded them when they were free. I love data. I am strange...

I also remember well in the late 70's in western sydney discussing with other kids whether we would get to go home if the mercury hit 50. It was up around 49 at the time but didn't quite get there. Yet the record high for condell park is listed at much lower than that.

It is interesting that the temp maps on page 1 show the 1893 1974 and 2011 floods occurring in cool times. Only 1938 ?? was in a hot period (the smallest on record of the "biggies"). I have had an interest in meteorology since about 1990 and the regularity of the brisbane floods is the scariest pattern I have ever seen. Dead set every 35 - 40 years regular as swiss time.

Also the SOI doesn't matter nearly as much as the indian ocean index. Forget what it's called. Media ignore it. It's been really high this spring, it started dropping sharply about a week ago, just before the rains came back to brisbane.

Humans have not evolved significantly since our hunter gatherer years. We don't cope with long timescales well. The mercury in glass thermometer was developed in what the late 1600's ? Just a blink of the eye.

Most people don't seem to understand that the 20th century was an abnormally quiet time for both geological events and extreme weather. Because this in the only period most people are familiar with even a return to trend is going to look like an end of days. So far we aren't even back on trend.

None of this matters. Skip straight to the first question that matters: What can we do even if we accept we are experiencing a directional change that will continue at the current pace ? Even if we walked away from developed civilization it wouldn't be enough. If the planet is going to toast us we can't stop it.

If you really want something to be scared of consider what another major hit by a solar flare would do to the developed world ? or say we are at the start of a declining cycle of solar activity and the temps are going to DROP 3C instead of going up. Forget starvation in the undeveloped countries, WE won't be able to feed ourselves.

Finally I do NOT advocate doing nothing. If you accept CO2 and methane are the problem, well that is air pollution. No one advocates for air, or any other, pollution. They don't call it air pollution because you can't scare money out of people and back unreasonable behavior if you call it air pollution. You have to get people panicked in order to get them to join teh cult, or to join the other cult to fight the cult. None of these people want solutions, they want a religeous war.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green kids.jpg (79.9 KB, 11 views)
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: