Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #631
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Any VF performance figures out there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82XD393.3v View Post
i would bet my bottom dollar a gt with same tyre width and tyres as the gts will match or better there times
Isn't the GTS running about 4mph quicker down the 1/4 mile? stock for stock. Stickier tyres on the GT may improve 60' ft time but iirc when 60'ft improves MPH decreases. I think with sticky tyres the GT will easily hold its own up to 100km/h mainly due to weight difference.
Old 14-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #632
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Delete
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
Old 15-11-2013, 03:55 AM   #633
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VF GTS performance figures from NZ Autocar Magazine

0-100 in 4.13
80-120 in 2.29
Old 15-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #634
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, over 1/2 a second quicker to 100 than what WHEELS could achieve!!
Mmmm. Better drivers over there........
Old 15-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #635
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
VF GTS performance figures from NZ Autocar Magazine

0-100 in 4.13
80-120 in 2.29
very impressive

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

Old 15-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #636
Rodge
Banned

Yes, I can confirm those N.Z. Autocar figures. Auto transmission.
Measured weight with a full tank 1902 Kg's, (so not the 2,000 kg porker I thought it would be).
100-0 braking distance was only 30.6 metres !!
They were very impressed with it although did make the comment that interior build quality wasn't up with zee germans but please don't shoot the messanger but this was slightly quicker (0.1 seconds), than the Mercedes-benz E63 S they recently tested and also slightly quicker than the BMW M5, also the GTS was circa 100 kg's lighter than either of those German cars...Drinks like someone on a bender though.

This magazine has a very good reputation for being independent, accurate with thier Vbox timing equipment and unbiased, in my opinion.
Didn't escape my observation that 4.13 seconds is exactly 1.00 seconds quicker than the best they could get out of a stock SC GT 5.13 seconds in their November 2010 edition. Also interestingly, this was on a green engine and their fuel sponsor over here is Z energy who don't sell 98 Octane so they had to be running 95 Octane fuel and got those numbers !! Honestly, If it was any other magazine i'd have struggled to believe it...

Not going too lie, I am seriously tempted to get the chequebook out. If you want to own the best Austrlain performance car of all time you have to put your blue tinged glasses away and swallow your pride and buy a GTS. Its not just the performacne per se that impressed them, its the handling with the adjustable suspension, adjustable DSC, all the tech kit the supercar sized brakes and a proper premium stereo, (really its absolutly pathetic that FPV could not even fit genuine premium sound or adjustable suspension to their cars after all these years of enthusiasts calling for it, which really is an epic fail),. The truth is if FPV had of built a car with all this kit we'd be having the biggest FPV party of all time... but sadly we've been beaten by a better funded team and the cold hard truth is FPV have already raised the white flag. I think on an objective analysis, although it pains me to say this, but it probably is worth the extra money over a GT-P or R Spec.

Last edited by Rodge; 15-11-2013 at 08:18 AM.
5 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #637
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been saying it all along Rodge, that the GTS is the current pinnacle for the aussie made V8s. Gimmicks aside, it has a lot of features that aren't just gimmicks. I suppose many years ago, revolutionary things like ABS brakes, air bags, IRS, and all the little things we see as luxury now were gimmicks at some point...

The GT is what it is. I'm gonna love mine, and hopefully i don't have anything financially happen where i am forced to sell it, as i'd love to keep it for the kids. The last of GT that they grew up with will hopefully hold some sentimental value.

After a few years of it being my daily, i think i'll retire it for weekends and the odd cruise... to replace it, maybe an XR8, or a low km Gen F GTS...
This user likes this post:
Old 15-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #638
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Impressive times from the other side of the Tasman if they stack up which it sounds like they do. It would be interesting to know how they come to that figure. Is it one run or do they spend a morning trying and pick the best. The 0-100 is very quick, I wonder if they were getting a stack of 4.2s and 4.3s as well or were they getting a stack of 4.4s and 4.5s as the next fastest and then a slight glitch gave them the super fast time?
After driving them your right Rodge, its worth the extra when compared to our FPVs. If a GTP is $80k+ then a GTS is worth the $10k more. Brakes, Diff, extra tech it all adds up. In my opinion with the GTS' being driven away for $95k a GTP needs to be around the $70k mark. Just little things make it an overall better car. The interior fan slows when the phone rings so you dont have to fight the air con with your conversation. The massive brakes, the best tyres available no just what your tyre supplier gives you because its the cheapest.
Many people will argue that you dont need all that stuff and its newer but when you spending big money on an FPV that doesn't have it, you sort of feel a little short changed. Right now some guys are getting GT's for circa $60k which is a good deal, any more though and they are now over priced in comparison.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #639
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree Rancid, i wouldn't have opted for the GT if i had to spend over 70k on it in the present market, with the GTS due to become cheaper next year. Only reason i jumped on the GT is because i got it for 60k, and that made it 40k cheaper than the GTS. I always wanted a GT, and with the rumours of FPV shutting up shop, i knew i had to jump on those deals...
Old 15-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #640
turbo4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Yes, I can confirm those N.Z. Autocar figures. Auto transmission.
Measured weight with a full tank 1902 Kg's, (so not the 2,000 kg porker I thought it would be).
100-0 braking distance was only 30.6 metres !!
They were very impressed with it although did make the comment that interior build quality wasn't up with zee germans but please don't shoot the messanger but this was slightly quicker (0.1 seconds), than the Mercedes-benz E63 S they recently tested and also slightly quicker than the BMW M5, also the GTS was circa 100 kg's lighter than either of those German cars...Drinks like someone on a bender though.

This magazine has a very good reputation for being independent, accurate with thier Vbox timing equipment and unbiased, in my opinion.
Didn't escape my observation that 4.13 seconds is exactly 1.00 seconds quicker than the best they could get out of a stock SC GT 5.13 seconds in their November 2010 edition. Also interestingly, this was on a green engine and their fuel sponsor over here is Z energy who don't sell 98 Octane so they had to be running 95 Octane fuel and got those numbers !! Honestly, If it was any other magazine i'd have struggled to believe it...

Not going too lie, I am seriously tempted to get the chequebook out. If you want to own the best Austrlain performance car of all time you have to put your blue tinged glasses away and swallow your pride and buy a GTS. Its not just the performacne per se that impressed them, its the handling with the adjustable suspension, adjustable DSC, all the tech kit the supercar sized brakes and a proper premium stereo, (really its absolutly pathetic that FPV could not even fit genuine premium sound or adjustable suspension to their cars after all these years of enthusiasts calling for it, which really is an epic fail),. The truth is if FPV had of built a car with all this kit we'd be having the biggest FPV party of all time... but sadly we've been beaten by a better funded team and the cold hard truth is FPV have already raised the white flag. I think on an objective analysis, although it pains me to say this, but it probably is worth the extra money over a GT-P or R Spec.
Put your cheque book away Rodge, you would have to be a real dedicated Holden fan or a DS to pay $125,000 for one.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #641
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4me View Post
Put your cheque book away Rodge, you would have to be a real dedicated Holden fan or a DS to pay $125,000 for one.
Yeah, just to clarify, I wasn't talking about right away, I'm totally done with chasing the latest release and paying close to full retail and have sworn an oath to myself not to buy any new car within the first 12 months of its release but in a year's time if they're circa $85K Aussie and circa $100-105K Kiwi I could be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyxr6t04
I've been saying it all along Rodge, that the GTS is the current pinnacle for the aussie made V8s. Gimmicks aside, it has a lot of features that aren't just gimmicks. I suppose many years ago, revolutionary things like ABS brakes, air bags, IRS, and all the little things we see as luxury now were gimmicks at some point...

The GT is what it is. I'm gonna love mine, and hopefully i don't have anything financially happen where i am forced to sell it, as i'd love to keep it for the kids. The last of GT that they grew up with will hopefully hold some sentimental value.

After a few years of it being my daily, i think i'll retire it for weekends and the odd cruise... to replace it, maybe an XR8, or a low km Gen F GTS...
Yeah fair enough mate. I've been reserving judgement until Autocar N.Z's review because they're the only car magazine I really trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
Impressive times from the other side of the Tasman if they stack up which it sounds like they do. It would be interesting to know how they come to that figure. Is it one run or do they spend a morning trying and pick the best. The 0-100 is very quick, I wonder if they were getting a stack of 4.2s and 4.3s as well or were they getting a stack of 4.4s and 4.5s as the next fastest and then a slight glitch gave them the super fast time?
After driving them your right Rodge, its worth the extra when compared to our FPVs. If a GTP is $80k+ then a GTS is worth the $10k more. Brakes, Diff, extra tech it all adds up. In my opinion with the GTS' being driven away for $95k a GTP needs to be around the $70k mark. Just little things make it an overall better car. The interior fan slows when the phone rings so you dont have to fight the air con with your conversation. The massive brakes, the best tyres available no just what your tyre supplier gives you because its the cheapest.
Many people will argue that you dont need all that stuff and its newer but when you spending big money on an FPV that doesn't have it, you sort of feel a little short changed. Right now some guys are getting GT's for circa $60k which is a good deal, any more though and they are now over priced in comparison.
Good post mate and I agree with you on relative pricing.
GT-P retail here in N.Z. is $97K and GTS is $125K, really viewed in the context of the GT-P's silly retail the GTS isn't so silly after all..but really you'd want at the very least, 10% off those figures.
They didn't really go into detail about how they achieved those times but they did say that due to the abilities of the HSV's traction control it was able to consistently reel off fast 0-100 times. I suspect the Continental Sport Contact tyres had a big part to play as they're known to be soft and very sticky once they're properly warmed up. What does you friend think of the Continental tyres ?
I can't remember but does the auto GTS have launch control ?
Old 15-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #642
XD ESP! XELR8
ESP5 + BOOST

To be fair boys we needed SC grunt to keep up with the LS engines..

Now HSV has come to the party for its fans..

Only wish FPV would have done the same..

GTS is a beast!!!

Daily drives
BA XR6T lighting strike...Boosted
FG G6ET ego...tuned
F6
Old 15-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #643
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
I suspect the Continental Sport Contact tyres had a big part to play as they're known to be soft and very sticky once they're properly warmed up. What does you friend think of the Continental tyres ?
I can't remember but does the auto GTS have launch control ?
The autos dont get launch, only manuals. Same system as the Rspec, more so launch assist through Traction control than a dedicated system.

He thinks the Contis are fantastic. He really feathered the edges on a track day though, really quite noticeable.
The Work Truck

Old 15-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #644
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD ESP! XELR8 View Post
To be fair boys we needed SC grunt to keep up with the LS engines..

Now HSV has come to the party for its fans..

Only wish FPV would have done the same..

GTS is a beast!!!
Sorry but we needed an SC to keep up? Their sc 6.2l is fractionally quicker than an sc 5.0l.
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #645
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only up that FPV had on HSV up until VF was the SC V8. Now it has nothing.

Time to accept that fact and move. There is a lot more to a car then just the engine.
Old 15-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #646
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8 View Post
Nah, the FPV sounds better.
The Work Truck

3 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #647
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

The GT is a road car which can hold its own on a drag strip

The GTS is a road registered track car which can also hold its own on a drag strip.
Old 15-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #648
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Huh, a two ton people moving sedan a track car.... Don't think so. It is as practical as any sedan on the market I would like to wager.
Old 15-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #649
FPV_Steve
Livin Life in the F6 Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8 View Post

Time to accept that fact and move. There is a lot more to a car then just the engine.
I don't agree with that! FPV had both the SC V8 (GT & GS) and the T6 (F6) engines which can beat any HSV offering, prior to the VF GTS.

Now I agree that the VF GTS is the best Aussie performance car released, but apart from that, you have FG XR6T & G6ET cars beating or keeping up with the VF SS models.

So I'd say that FPV has been giving HSV a pounding for quite a while now and the only car that can take it to the FPV's is the VF GTS. So it's about time that HSV managed to catch up and provide some competition

8 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #650
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Huh, a two ton people moving sedan a track car.... Don't think so. It is as practical as any sedan on the market I would like to wager.
Interesting, a P3 GTHO is a circuit king, yet a VF GTS is only a people moving sedan...go figure

The GTS would smack any other locally made performance car off the track anywhere, that fits the above criteria....doesn't it?
Old 16-11-2013, 05:05 AM   #651
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Steve View Post
I don't agree with that! FPV had both the SC V8 (GT & GS) and the T6 (F6) engines which can beat any HSV offering, prior to the VF GTS.

Now I agree that the VF GTS is the best Aussie performance car released, but apart from that, you have FG XR6T & G6ET cars beating or keeping up with the VF SS models.

So I'd say that FPV has been giving HSV a pounding for quite a while now and the only car that can take it to the FPV's is the VF GTS. So it's about time that HSV managed to catch up and provide some competition
Ahhhh...a breath of fresh air

And they needed a 100k car to do it.......
4 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2013, 05:31 AM   #652
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Steve View Post

I dunno the VF Clubsport is a pretty solid performer also, NZ autocar have clocked it at about 4.8 seconds 0-100 and its also been clocked about 2 seconds a lap faster than an FG F6 at a track
Old 16-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #653
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Autocar seem to get these times out of HSV's that no other magazine can get any where near! 4.8 out of a Clubbie....
Rodge will answer this for me, did they test a Rspec or a GT over there & get these incredible times or is it just the HSV's.
I have no doubt the GTS is king but I am a little dubious about a magazine in NZ that can get these incredible times that no one else can get... at times within half a second!
I'll cop the GTS. But people try & now tell me the Clubsport is quicker than a GT I get a little doubtful. I have heard about people moving from GT's to the new Clubsport & they love the new tech in the Clubbie, but it feels slow in comparison to there sc GT.
Old 16-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #654
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I remember correctly the clubbie is a fair bit lighter than the GT though
Old 16-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #655
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 18 View Post
Autocar seem to get these times out of HSV's that no other magazine can get any where near! 4.8 out of a Clubbie....
Rodge will answer this for me, did they test a Rspec or a GT over there & get these incredible times or is it just the HSV's.
I have no doubt the GTS is king but I am a little dubious about a magazine in NZ that can get these incredible times that no one else can get... at times within half a second!
I'll cop the GTS. But people try & now tell me the Clubsport is quicker than a GT I get a little doubtful. I have heard about people moving from GT's to the new Clubsport & they love the new tech in the Clubbie, but it feels slow in comparison to there sc GT.
Their times for the 340KW version of the R8 were
0-100 4.88
80-120 2.88 (Note, remove traction from the equation and this compared to a real world on road time of 2.51 seconds for the SC FPV), so I'd argue real world performance the FPV's is quicker, at least in a straight line.

Its quite a bit lighter than our SC FPV's, if my memory srerves me correctly its was about sixty something kilo's. about 1760 or was it 1770 kg's with a full load of fuel, (compared to 1839 kg's for our SC FPV's.

Interestingly it appears an R8 HSV is about 130-140 kg's lightr than a GTS !!

Another point that's worth reminding people about is that HSV spent ages working with different tyre brands to select the Continental tyres and their own testing showed on that brand of tyre their cars were about 1.5 seconds a lap quicker than other brands. They're very soft when fully warmed up and will wear very quickly on the track according to anecdotal reports.

There's a lot in the tyres mate, as we all know its hard to get a clean launch with a SC FPV with stock 245 section Dunlops.

I think comparing track times of 340 HSV's to F6's is a little disingenious especially with the relative tyre spec each car gets as standard.
Got to compare apples to aplles, SC FPV's are way easier to modulate power down than an F6 and will be faster than an F6 in most people's hands on most tracks in my experience.

How about lining up an R Spec kitted with proper rubber with a 340 KW R8 and see how they go.

To the best of my knowledge Autocar has never tested an R Spec, probably because only a very small handful made their way over the Tasman.
You're not the only one trying to get their head around the 4.13 second figure for the GTS, seems pretty remarkable when HSV themselves claim 4.6.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #656
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers Rodge. Unbiased view as always!
Old 16-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #657
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 18 View Post
Here is another 0-100 in 4.8 time from a clubsport

http://youtu.be/v_chwmVnstI
Old 16-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #658
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Their times for the 340KW version of the R8 were
0-100 4.88
80-120 2.88 (Note, remove traction from the equation and this compared to a real world on road time of 2.51 seconds for the SC FPV), so I'd argue real world performance the FPV's is quicker, at least in a straight line.

Its quite a bit lighter than our SC FPV's, if my memory srerves me correctly its was about sixty something kilo's. about 1760 or was it 1770 kg's with a full load of fuel, (compared to 1839 kg's for our SC FPV's.

Interestingly it appears an R8 HSV is about 130-140 kg's lightr than a GTS !!

Another point that's worth reminding people about is that HSV spent ages working with different tyre brands to select the Continental tyres and their own testing showed on that brand of tyre their cars were about 1.5 seconds a lap quicker than other brands. They're very soft when fully warmed up and will wear very quickly on the track according to anecdotal reports.

There's a lot in the tyres mate, as we all know its hard to get a clean launch with a SC FPV with stock 245 section Dunlops.

I think comparing track times of 340 HSV's to F6's is a little disingenious especially with the relative tyre spec each car gets as standard.
Got to compare apples to aplles, SC FPV's are way easier to modulate power down than an F6 and will be faster than an F6 in most people's hands on most tracks in my experience.

How about lining up an R Spec kitted with proper rubber with a 340 KW R8 and see how they go.

To the best of my knowledge Autocar has never tested an R Spec, probably because only a very small handful made their way over the Tasman.
You're not the only one trying to get their head around the 4.13 second figure for the GTS, seems pretty remarkable when HSV themselves claim 4.6.
I would like to see an R Spec v R8 around a track, I think the R8 would do very well against it but I would still have to give the edge to the R Spec. I would be more interested in seeing an R Spec v GTS around a track though.
Old 16-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #659
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Interesting, a P3 GTHO is a circuit king, yet a VF GTS is only a people moving sedan...go figure

The GTS would smack any other locally made performance car off the track anywhere, that fits the above criteria....doesn't it?
A factory stock P3 GTHO is a circuit king, who in their right mind says that?
Maybe back in the days before helmets, guard rails, seat belts, disc brakes and so on but not today,

If you use the criteria of the GTS being fast around a track compared to many other stock cars (4 door sedans in particular) then it’s a track car.

If you use the criteria that the car should be able to lap the track more than a few times before falling over then the GTS is not a track car.

Ask the people who have track cars which factory stock cars hold up when performing track duties and they’ll laugh at you.

Stock 4 door sedans are not built to handle track conditions, they have real world driveability to deal with which stops them from being track heroes.

Mcnews is right, stock cars are not built for the extreme temperatures and loads placed on them by going around and around a circuit.

The fact the GTS would 'smack' any locally made performance car during a few laps only means it has very little local competition to compete with.

And I don't know if it would 'smack' them, maybe it would just do it in a bit quicker time.

Old 16-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #660
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few years ago we would be getting countless comparisons between a HSV & an FPV but since the VF has come out, I haven't seen one mag compare a new HSV to a GT or even a F6.
WHY?
I want to see the new Clubbie up against the GT. Can't be that hard can it?
Closed Thread