Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 11-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
King Neptune

Talking Rear window removal

Just looking for a little bit of feed back from anyone who has had experience on removing/pushing out the rear window of a coupe? I have removed a rear window from a sedan before, but have heard that the coupe ones are a bit more troublesome. Its something that i don't want to break, so i'm asking those who have done this before.
Cheers Rob.

King Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
66GT

Hey Rob, I've not done this in a coupe before however I've heard that replacement aftermarket rubbers don't always fit as well as most would expect, ie not fitting into corners therefore not sealing properly. Good luck
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
scrappy xb
Starter Motor

Hey Rob
Here's a bit of advice for you, do not try to push the window out, if the glass is cold there is a very good chance the glass will break, try and put some heat into it, either by using a hairdryer or heatgun to warm up the glass or park the car in the sun. Heat up the rubber using the hairdryer or heatgun this will also soften up the rubber, break the seal by running a spatula around the edge of the rubber to the body right around the window, also inside using a hook tool, pull the rubber away from the headlining, carefully so that also breaks the seal from inside. Remove your parcel shelf trim so not to break it cos the rubber sits on the edge of it, also disconnecting your window demister tabs (if your car is fitted with it), When you start to push the window out, start in the top left or right corner, keep your feet close to the edge of the rubber to the window to break the seal DO NOT PUSH IN THE CENTRE of the glass for any reason.
we have worked on a number of coupes, and upto now we still have not broken any, store the glass in the rubber, do not let it sit on the concrete or dont sit it flat as the temperature changes, the window do explode by themselves, Store it upright in the rubber against the wall.
Also 66GT said the aftermarket rubbers they dont fit, he is spot on, they look like dog ears, they are rubbish. Hope this helps, good luck
scrappy xb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
King Neptune

Thanks Scrappy, it all sounds a wise proceedure. I will definately try to release the rubbers first as much as possible (ie; to break the seal). Does anyone know much about glass polishing? From memory there may have been a post about this somewhere i think about 4 months ago on this forum or the xagt forum.
Cheers Boys, Rob.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
King Neptune

Jobs done,.....No hassels at all.
Thanks Rob.