Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
CONGO MILLENNIUM

Default Fairlane Sunroof

I have always wanted a car with a sunroof.
Recently I purchased a series 1 AU Fairlane Millennium with the Tickford VCT 6 Congo green with black leather interior, a beautiful car in excellent condition only travelled 140000 klms

Unfortunately there is no sunroof

So being a pretty handy sort of a bloke I am thinking of installing a sunroof myself.

As finances are not great at the moment it will probally be a second hand unit. Quite often there is one or two for sale on ebay and gumtree etc.
I like the spoiler type such as the Hollandia 300 which is electrically operated and slides back over the roof making installation easier not having to take out the headliner.
I've researched the installation online and I feel confident that I can do it.
There's a couple of items I'm not quite sure on, hopefully some one can help

When cutting the hole in the Failanes roof is there any steel stiffening braces or electric cables to be removed or cut through?

When connecting the electrics the switch connects to a posative from the ignition switch? Would connecting to the map reading lighting be ok? Or is there a cable in the loom above the headliner as a sunroof was an option for Fairlane?

If anyone has done a sunroof install any tips or help would be great

CONGO MILLENNIUM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Fairlane Sunroof

If you cut the head lining first you should get a fair idea and see what is in the roof to move or steer clear of when cutting the metal ,as for the wiring best bet would be from the fuse block or ignition side of things, Maybe a ring around a few wreckers to see if they have a wrecked one you may be able to view the hole to what went ware,,
P.S please refrain from writing complete postings in Color
Cheers Whoosha
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

^^^^^^ What Whoosh said about the color! Or bold for that matter.

There is no way that the map reading light circuit will be able to deliver the power requirements for an electric sunroof. You will need run power from the fuse box. I would also suggest removing the headliner during install. It will make life so much easier.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

also be very sure you are up to the job there is no turning back once you cut the roof.not trying to be negative but I have seen many handyman specials that have gotten out of hand because " it looked easy enough"

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
CONGO MILLENNIUM

Thank's for the replies,I was not aware there is a problem with bold coloured font
I intend to make an upper and lower template using 3mm MDF then position the lower under the headliner and mark 2 predrilled holes through the lower template, headliner and metal roof with an awl.
From above drill 2 x 5mm holes through the roof then bolt both upper and lower templates in position with 5mm bolts and wing nuts.
Making sure the roof paint is well protected with masking tape I can then mark the cut line around the top roof template with a fine marker.
Next from inside the vehicle I will carefully cut around the lower template through the headliner using a sharp stanley knife, then once the liner is cut through the templates can be removed.
Then comes the point of no return Making sure my beautiful black leather is well covered.
Working above the vehicle drill a hole with a 50mm hole saw through the roof Then using electric shears (not nibblers) cut 25mm inside the cut line and remove the roof panel. ( removes metal tension )
Make a second cut carefully following the cut line remove any burrs and paint the raw metal edge with a primer.
The sunroof can now be fitted.

The owners manual shows the sunroof connects to the 30 amp power window/power seat circuit breaker, so maybe there's a cable?

How does all that sound?
CONGO MILLENNIUM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazxr6

How does all that sound?
SCARY

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

^^^^^^

Yep, glad it is you and not me. I know why you want a sunroof, but all I can say TG for factory fitted!

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

first time jobs, pioneering at it`s best , i`ll never forget as a young buk cutting the hole in the bonnet of my xc for a shaker(on car), my lack of experience cost me a windscreen from molten angle grinder sparks.........bulldog motors .....ruff ,ruff , seriously though , it sounds like your on top of it mate, doing homework as you`ve done is your friend.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post