Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Closed Thread

Old 21-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
brock_tas
Starter Motor

Default 1977 XC GS Coupe

Hi Guys... thought I would load a few pics of my coupe that I have just started rebuilding (Yes... I will load some pics of the progress).

But I do need some help. I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me out with a problem I'm facing. The car has an after market sunroof that was installed many years ago and I want to return it to its original form. Unfortunately the sunroof has buckled the existing roof and its beyond repair. So I'm on the hunt for a replacement roof and need to track down a coupe shell with a suitable roof. If anyone knows of one around then please let me know!

In the meantime... more pictures on there way!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coupe01.jpg (122.2 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg Coupe03.jpg (113.4 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Coupe04.jpg (108.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg Coupe06.jpg (121.2 KB, 154 views)
Old 21-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 1977 XC GS Coupe

very very hard to find decent roof is there any other non factory steel sun roof that you could graft into yours
Old 21-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice one .. Looks great (even with a buckled roof)
Old 21-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
brock_tas
Starter Motor

More pics...

Old 21-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

singapore ? . oh xcs are tops as too. no roofs anywhere i am afraid mate. they are usually attached to coupes that people want..
Old 21-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
brock_tas
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric
very very hard to find decent roof is there any other non factory steel sun roof that you could graft into yours
The challenge is the grafting itself. Roof is too thin and will buckle with the welding. So its either replace the whole roof or maintain the sunroof. Will spend some time searching for a donor and only stay with the sunroof as a very last resort.
Old 21-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
brock_tas
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG65TE
singapore ? . oh xcs are tops as too. no roofs anywhere i am afraid mate. they are usually attached to coupes that people want..
Better update my location... was in Singapore for 5 years and just moved home to Aus 2months ago
Old 21-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
74xbkoop
74xbkoop

That looks mean. The stance is perfect! Great shots as well.
Old 21-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
earlybirds
driven rarely ...

yeah lovin the coupe mate !!!
need a photobucket account for some bigger pics !
Old 21-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mad, joined 2.5 years years ago and just posted a pic of ur coupe ? you should be ashamed of yourself mate. now your in australia, didnt look at plates clearly, queensland or n.t i guess. you will have a lot more luck in finding a roof. unfortunately most if not all are attached to the cars, i have tried n seen the results of patching a roof , and unless your skills are amazing, dont try. keep a eye on some of the coupe areas, if anything cool like a roof pops up, someone will post about it. may i have your coupe ? ( im askin everyone lately in case they give it to me)
Old 22-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
XB74GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock_tas
The challenge is the grafting itself. Roof is too thin and will buckle with the welding. So its either replace the whole roof or maintain the sunroof. Will spend some time searching for a donor and only stay with the sunroof as a very last resort.

There are some very skillfull metal men out there who would be able to repair your roof successfully.
They dont come cheap as a job like yours would require time!
Not a job for your local panel beater.

But be rest assured it can be done & done properly.
Not just welded up & filled full of bog like a lot of the projects you see getting done on here.

Anyway just something to think about.
Cheers
Todd.
Old 22-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #12
brock_tas
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlybirds
yeah lovin the coupe mate !!!
need a photobucket account for some bigger pics !
Yeah will get myself organized over the weekend with an account and load some more pictures.
Old 22-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
brock_tas
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB74GS
There are some very skillfull metal men out there who would be able to repair your roof successfully.
They dont come cheap as a job like yours would require time!
Not a job for your local panel beater.

But be rest assured it can be done & done properly.
Not just welded up & filled full of bog like a lot of the projects you see getting done on here.

Anyway just something to think about
Cheers
Todd.
Hi Todd - The guy I have working on mine is one of the best in Aus. His built some of the best cars in Australia including MotorEx award winners. I'm confident he knows what his talking about, and wants to make sure the finished product is top notch. Thanks for the inputs though! Definitely appreciate the response from yourself and the others so far.
Old 22-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
brock_tas
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG65TE
mad, joined 2.5 years years ago and just posted a pic of ur coupe ? you should be ashamed of yourself mate. now your in australia, didnt look at plates clearly, queensland or n.t i guess. you will have a lot more luck in finding a roof. unfortunately most if not all are attached to the cars, i have tried n seen the results of patching a roof , and unless your skills are amazing, dont try. keep a eye on some of the coupe areas, if anything cool like a roof pops up, someone will post about it. may i have your coupe ? ( im askin everyone lately in case they give it to me)
Yeah I've been a silent observer for a while.

And just for the record no you can't have it. Goodluck with your theory of asking!
Old 22-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #15
TSERIES
THE WORLD IS FORDS

Quote:
Hi Todd - The guy I have working on mine is one of the best in Aus. His built some of the best cars in Australia including MotorEx award winners. I'm confident he knows what his talking about, and wants to make sure the finished product is top notch. Thanks for the inputs though! Definitely appreciate the response from yourself and the others so far.

Sorry dont want to start a debate but thats a load of utter crap ...who cares what he has built if he cant fix a turret with a hole in it hes useless ....Im a panel beater and have done this same repair on an xa gt coupe ...I agree with todd there a plenty of skillfull people tradesman out there that could fix your problem without having to unpick the roof and cut the upper pillars to remove the turrett ..
Old 22-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #16
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Better update my location... was in Singapore for 5 years and just moved home to Aus 2months ago
Really? I'm floating up that way myself. Have spent the last 4 1/2 years working on the Marina Bay Sands Project.

Awesome looking XC, bet you missed it while you were away...!
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Old 23-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #17
brut33

You could be right on the full metal restos as the amount of time and cost of doing these is becoming very costly and too many issues arise during the process that increase the initial estimated cost. I have experienced this myself my first resto done years ago almost doubled in cost after a number of unexpected bad repairs were found only after the car was back to bare metal.

I am yet to do a resto on a car that has not needed more work than first expected there always seems to be issues once the car is back to metal and you can really see whats been done in the past.

The car completed for me earlier this year another prime example I thought just needed a few small repairs once the paint came off there were bigger issues identified which blew out the cost. I wanted the car done right so the repairs were done right and I accepted that the price would increase as a result.

Last edited by russellw; 26-05-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Refer admin
Old 24-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #18
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i happen to know that a mate of mine has a factory sunroof floating about from a job from god knows (collector of all things )seeing as you are brisvegas i can enquire about it if that helps ?.....doc
Old 25-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
brock_tas
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside
i happen to know that a mate of mine has a factory sunroof floating about from a job from god knows (collector of all things )seeing as you are brisvegas i can enquire about it if that helps ?.....doc
Hi Mate... the preferred approach at the moment is to get rid of the sunroof. If I need to go to Plan B and keep the sunroof then I would be interested. I'll let you know if I need to go down the path of keeping the sunroof.
Old 25-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #20
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

The OP is in Brisbane

Why would he send to Melbourne.....

Check out ucanb12's build thread for his XB coupe

He is getting PROPER METAL rust repairs done with FULL documentation done in Brisbane

Not sure the people above can provide the same assurance.....
Closed Thread