Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 02-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #31
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

looks great george - but how do you see over the steering wheel
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #32
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the complements fellas. I'm getting lots everywhere I go!

The only distinctive "GT replica" item on the car is the front grille badge. It's also got the GT exhaust tips. I'm not sure if they were ever fitted to non-GT's. Donny could probably enlighten us. One thing I do know is that when I put the tips on the exhaust note became alot more refined (quieter) which made the trouble and strife a happy woman!

I've left off the "GT" stickers for two reasons, firstly its not a GT replica just a nicely restored GS coupe, secondly, I couldn't bear the thought of putting stickers on her. I think they look tacky. I like the GT grille badge obviously and can take it off if I ever get sick of it.

George I already have a date with the redwaller. Great minds think alike!

Phoon - I also like that pic. My favourite is the first one with my son Michael. He has said that when I am old the car is his. He has some competition in that regard from his brother Dean. See pics of mini-coupe fiend below

GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #33
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

George!!! THat looks brilliant! Great choice sticking with the Sandstone ..... and who would have thought that beige can look so tough!!!! You cna see the pearl, stands out well and looks very deep.

Glad its your son ....... suppose he is aloud to touch!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #34
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
George!!! THat looks brilliant! Great choice sticking with the Sandstone ..... and who would have thought that beige can look so tough!!!! You cna see the pearl, stands out well and looks very deep.

Glad its your son ....... suppose he is aloud to touch!
Thanks Dave. I never thought I would own a beige car. It has really grown on me now and it is obviously more unique than the usual factory colours which have survived.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:14 PM   #35
XRJames
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats one smooth lookin' Coupe, you must be rapt with the finished product.

Enjoy CRUZIN'

cheers James
XRJames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #36
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Hey George, well done, the coupe looks great. You've made good choices all the way and the excellent quality of the paint, panels and interior are there for all to see.

Congratulations!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #37
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Hey George, well done, the coupe looks great. You've made good choices all the way and the excellent quality of the paint, panels and interior are there for all to see.

Congratulations!!
Thanks again. I certainly am very happy with the final result and am looking forward to "cruizin" every chance I get.

I was thinking today I would like to repair and replace the seat belt buckles and webbing.

I remember reading on here that you can get the actual belts rewebbed. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, is it possible to get the silver buckles refurbished or buy new NOS or repo ones?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #38
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

go forth re Yioryo.......

http://www.seatbeltsolutions.com.au/faqs.asp or

http://www.xbfordfalconshop.com/cata...d4dd672316ce9f
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 10:14 PM   #39
XBCoupeNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simply perfect George

The smile on your face every time you open the garage door must be huge - well done.
XBCoupeNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #40
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Geez those Globes look great and suit the car sooooooooo much.........
Old 06-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #41
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Geez those Globes look great and suit the car sooooooooo much.........
I think so too! Bought them from Wheels Australia in Vic. They are very good to deal with
Old 06-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #42
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Hey, did you get the post about the seat belts George?

I am going to use one of them for my ZF seat belts

Just want you to be the guinea pig first!

;)
Old 06-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #43
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Hey, did you get the post about the seat belts George?

I am going to use one of them for my ZF seat belts

Just want you to be the guinea pig first!

;)
George - I'll be happy to use my seat belts as the guinea pig for your benefit if you pay half the cost.

Seriously, I've not done anything yet. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #44
351gtw

Very nice job you have done. i will be starting my resto soon another gt coupe saved. I will have to keep you all posted . Oh have you got some shoots of the engine bay for us to see once again great work.
351gtw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #45
74xbkoop
74xbkoop

Very nice job. The car looks great. good to see another coupe back on the road.
74xbkoop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 10:31 PM   #46
XB74GS

Well done George, looks awesome.
What size are your wheels & tyres? they suit the car very well.
Cheers
Todd.
XB74GS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #47
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB74GS
Well done George, looks awesome.
What size are your wheels & tyres? they suit the car very well.
Cheers
Todd.
Thanks Todd. Wheels are 15 x 7 & 15 x 8. Tyres are 250 and 215.

Here are some photos with redwalling done. I like it but would prefer if the red wasn't so bright!

Old 17-11-2008, 11:24 PM   #48
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgevlah
Thanks Todd. Wheels are 15 x 7 & 15 x 8. Tyres are 250 and 215.

Here are some photos with redwalling done. I like it but would prefer if the red wasn't so bright!

Get the zwnes (belts) done George. I need a guinea pig mate.

Will most probably ship my front retractables option 69 by the way ;) over to WA when I am back in Melb over Christmas / New years. If you havent got them done by xmas i am happy to be the guinea pig!
Old 17-11-2008, 11:42 PM   #49
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

They do look bright but dont worry ..... they will dull down a bit quite quickly but they finish it off well. Can you say 'Finished' yet??

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #50
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
They do look bright but dont worry ..... they will dull down a bit quite quickly but they finish it off well. Can you say 'Finished' yet??
Dave - I really want to get the belts done now. I might also install a hidden stereo system. Are we ever finished with these bloody things!

George - the reco belts are seriously on the cards now. I am not sure when I will get to them but I will let you know how I go when I do.
Old 18-11-2008, 10:39 AM   #51
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Loving the redwalls!

Questions:

Is the wifey allowed to drive it at all?

What do the boys think of the XB compared to the daily drivers?
Old 18-11-2008, 11:22 AM   #52
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Loving the redwalls!

Questions:

Is the wifey allowed to drive it at all?

What do the boys think of the XB compared to the daily drivers?
Wifey is allowed to drive but has no interest in doing so. Which is quite alright by me.

My boys absolutely love the XB. The little one especially so.
Old 18-11-2008, 10:06 PM   #53
Electric XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ditto but change xb with landau.
Electric XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #54
XB74GS

Tyres are 250 and 215.

Hey George, is that meant to be 205 & 215?
Cheers
Todd.
XB74GS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 09:33 PM   #55
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Wow George...car looks great!! Sorry haven't been on in awhile and just read the thread. You got it finished pretty quickly too. Nice one

Better watch out..now the coupe bug has bit ya....you will become like Pat and end up with having to buy another shed to house them :P
Old 08-12-2008, 12:09 AM   #56
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Very nice car mate. That was a brave descision to return it to original colour, but its one I think you have pulled off well. Car looks great.

Few little things I would change...And these arent critisisms at all....

1. it needs arch moulds. I know they are costly, but they really finish off a coupe.
2. the boot badge FORD letters are positioned wrong. I can help you with a pic, and I may have the correct measurements floating around somewhere too.
3. Driving light switch is in the wrong spot. Your car obviously was a gs without driving lights factory unless the dash was changed over. can help there too.
4. The little blind screw behind the ashtray isnt fitted, hence the dash pad not sitting quite right in the middle.
5. I would put a front chin spoiler on it, these are another thing that sets XA/XB's off nicely.

The GT tips were on GT's only, but are allways another nice addition to a car. Like the arch moulds and chin spoiler, they are astheticly pleasing things to have on there.

The redwalls are done in the wrong colour, but will dull off after a bit. They should be more orange-ie than bright red, but still looks tuff.

Donny

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #57
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Very nice car mate. That was a brave descision to return it to original colour, but its one I think you have pulled off well. Car looks great.

Few little things I would change...And these arent critisisms at all....

1. it needs arch moulds. I know they are costly, but they really finish off a coupe.
2. the boot badge FORD letters are positioned wrong. I can help you with a pic, and I may have the correct measurements floating around somewhere too.
3. Driving light switch is in the wrong spot. Your car obviously was a gs without driving lights factory unless the dash was changed over. can help there too.
4. The little blind screw behind the ashtray isnt fitted, hence the dash pad not sitting quite right in the middle.
5. I would put a front chin spoiler on it, these are another thing that sets XA/XB's off nicely.

The GT tips were on GT's only, but are allways another nice addition to a car. Like the arch moulds and chin spoiler, they are astheticly pleasing things to have on there.

The redwalls are done in the wrong colour, but will dull off after a bit. They should be more orange-ie than bright red, but still looks tuff.

Donny
Thanks Donny. I have thought about wheel arch moulds and the chin spoiler and will do these mods if I find some decent ones to install. The last couple of arch moulds on ebay were pretty ratty I thought and if I am going to pay big bucks I'd rather hold out for something better.

Do you recommend the two piece repo chin spoiler or do I hand out for an authentic one?

You are right about the driving light switch. I had a look at the positioning of a switch in a genuine GT and it seems to be recessed/cut into the dash. I wasn't able to screw the switch in the same way. Do I have to cut the dash to put it into the right position?

Not sure which part of the dash is not sitting quite right or where the blind screw goes in the ashtray?

I would appreciate the correct measurements/photo of the Ford badge on the rear. I didn't know about this error and I am not that fussed with this particular issue but you never know!

Thanks again Donny. You are the best!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #58
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Hi George, finding decent arch moulds will be a mission and cost a packet, but I think they are worth it. Chin spoilers wise, just get the repo one peice type. They fit pretty poorly like everything repo, but thats all thats out there, and if you move them around a bit, you can get them looking ok.
Driving light switch sits in a hole in the dash. This is one way to tell a genuine driving light car as most people dont cut the hole. If you look behind the faschia, there is actually a markout for where the hole has to go. This was put on all dashes to show people on the line who assembled them where to cut for the switch. on a pov pack dash there is the same markings for the clock cut out too, and on XB faschias, there is the cutout for the rear demister too. All on the back side of the faschia.

If you look to the left of your ash tray in the dash, you will see the crash pad isnt quite sitting right. They have a little blind screw that you have to screw in and out from the ash tray hole once the ashtray is removed.

Will get you the info for the rear badges, will just need to locate it on dvd first.

Am happy to help out on cars with little bits like this, they are a beeyatch to get right, but when their done right they are bitchin.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #59
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Hi George, finding decent arch moulds will be a mission and cost a packet, but I think they are worth it. Chin spoilers wise, just get the repo one peice type. They fit pretty poorly like everything repo, but thats all thats out there, and if you move them around a bit, you can get them looking ok.
Driving light switch sits in a hole in the dash. This is one way to tell a genuine driving light car as most people dont cut the hole. If you look behind the faschia, there is actually a markout for where the hole has to go. This was put on all dashes to show people on the line who assembled them where to cut for the switch. on a pov pack dash there is the same markings for the clock cut out too, and on XB faschias, there is the cutout for the rear demister too. All on the back side of the faschia.

If you look to the left of your ash tray in the dash, you will see the crash pad isnt quite sitting right. They have a little blind screw that you have to screw in and out from the ash tray hole once the ashtray is removed.

Will get you the info for the rear badges, will just need to locate it on dvd first.

Am happy to help out on cars with little bits like this, they are a beeyatch to get right, but when their done right they are bitchin.
Thanks Donny. I'm not that keen on cutting my dash. The holes I screwed the driving light switch were existing from some gizmo the owner before me had installed. I might leave it as it is for now.
Old 19-12-2008, 12:45 AM   #60
spannerman

Quote:
Hey guys I had my belts done by xb shop and they have turned out fantastic well worth the $$$ to have them redone much better imo than having the after market stuff in there the orange release buttons just dont look right and the buckles dont suit as well. : Just to let you know that xb shop contract the belts out to seatbelt solotions to be rewebed not this was a drama as he did other stuff for me as well and price was the same.

The ford badge I can measure it for you off my coupe we set it out as per the ford manual when we fitted them will have a look in the morning for you if you like

Last edited by spannerman; 19-12-2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: spelling
spannerman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post