Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 06-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default gee vee's goss

I thought I would start a new thread showing the rebuild of my new goss coupe. This is as she sits today and prtty much as I bought her. All I've done is strip her down a little more.

The coupe is fairly original. It was originally sold by Sinclair Ford in Penrith. It was owned by the one guy until 2001. I bought it from the second owner last weekend.

The mods it has had in the hands of the old owner are C4 changed to toploader. Grille swapped for a GT grill. The wheels changed for the horrendous items you see below. At some stage one of the front guards was dented so both were swapped over. He also had the repair section below the rear windscreen replaced (professionally and quite well).

It came with a 9" and some other bits and pieces which I probably won't use.

Plans are have the engine and running gear reconditioned. Respray and retrim. 12 slots painted in the correct polar white going back on.

If anyone has any diagrams or dimensions to help my painter redo the green highlights on the side and bonnet it would be much appreciated.

GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #2
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgevlah
I thought I would start a new thread showing the rebuild of my new goss coupe. This is as she sits today and prtty much as I bought her. All I've done is strip her down a little more.

The coupe is fairly original. It was originally sold by Sinclair Ford in Penrith. It was owned by the one guy until 2001. I bought it from the second owner last weekend.

The mods it has had in the hands of the old owner are C4 changed to toploader. Grille swapped for a GT grill. The wheels changed for the horrendous items you see below. At some stage one of the front guards was dented so both were swapped over. He also had the repair section below the rear windscreen replaced (professionally and quite well).

It came with a 9" and some other bits and pieces which I probably won't use.

Plans are have the engine and running gear reconditioned. Respray and retrim. 12 slots painted in the correct polar white going back on.

If anyone has any diagrams or dimensions to help my painter redo the green highlights on the side and bonnet it would be much appreciated.

Top find George : ,love the green n white goss ,pleeeeeeeeeas burn those wheels befor you are sent to hell ,il be watching this one closely,my goss is same color combo in pretty much the same nic,go the coupes cheers pat

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Hi George. Great pickup!! Looks like a pretty decent base to work from. Good to see you're straight onto it. Will be following this thread.

Cheers, Craig.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers Fellas. The aim is to drive her to Echuca in August. If anyone can assist with diagrams or dimensions of the green sections on the front guards and elsewhere that would be much appreciated.

Here is the revised spec sheet I got from Ford.

Thank you for your e-mail to Ford Motor Company of Australia Limited ("Ford Australia"), regarding the Ford XB John Goss Special.

Please find amended information for your vehicle below. We apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused.

Serial Prefix JG65RU
Serial Number 48256
SIDO 496108
Model Code XB Falcon 500 2 door hardtop
Engine Code Y - 302 CID V8 2V
Transmission Code B - Auto Cruisomatic T-Bar Floor
Paint Q - Not listed
Trim W - White Vinyl
Options 03 - Seat Belts - Mandatory
11 - Laminated Windshield - Tinted Band
32 - Sports Console
39 - Carpets
48 - Rallye Pack (With Tape Stripe)
68 - Sports Handling Suspension
77 - Not listed
87 - Tinted Side & Rear Glass
Tyres 88 - 185 SR14 Steel Belt Radial Tyres
Retail Dealer 2167 - Sinclair Ford, Penrith NSW
Date of Manufacture October 1975
Old 07-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Geez!!! I just noticed the original optioned 185x14 tyres.
Be great for Ice skating :
No wonder its so hard finding a straight coupe.
Tha Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you don't like the wheels!!!! they're the main reason i bought the car (not)!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
MEANXBCOUPE
injection is nice, but...

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing the Helicoil article 

wow george great find. good luck ill keep checking in.
Hopefully you can make it to Echuca, shouldnt be an issue, seeing how quick your walnut glow coupe came together...
MEANXBCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Sandstone Beige with Walnut Glow highlights!

;)
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice car, I see it came with the factory rear louvre but no option 84 verified by Ford?It would be worth a few bob itself. Nice workshop too! Good luck with the new project.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 06:54 AM   #10
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503

;)
eeewwwwuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
Old 11-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
MEANXBCOUPE
injection is nice, but...

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing the Helicoil article 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503

;)
Detail, details!!!. didnt say" the main color of walnut glow"!!!. thanks for the pick up. ;o)

So, is this a green gossy or a white one???
MEANXBCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob115
eeewwwwuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
this is my sandstone beige gs with walnut glow highlights (the beige baddie), not even close to eeewwwwuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #13
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
this is my sandstone beige gs with walnut glow highlights (the beige baddie), not even close to eeewwwwuuuuuuuuuuuu!

im reformed very nice :

Old 13-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #14
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got most of the engine bay done over the long weekend. I still need to paint the steering, master brake cylinder etc. I won't be getting started on the rest of the body until the motor is back in and all the running gear is 100%. The steering and suspension will also be freshened up first.

Old 13-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #15
cob115
COUPE WHORE

awsome george,ar you going to beff it up to 351 or bigger?

Old 13-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #16
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
awsome george,ar you going to beff it up to 351 or bigger?
No plans to Pat. The beige baddie has more than enough grunt. This one will be for cruizin not bruizin. Do you have any idea about the fit of those rear louvres? See my post in technical section.
Old 13-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #17
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
No plans to Pat. The beige baddie has more than enough grunt. This one will be for cruizin not bruizin. Do you have any idea about the fit of those rear louvres? See my post in technical section.
no idea at all .been a long time since i saw on fitted(was in the 80s : )i thought it was a few self tap screws?(go the 351crank/rods but dont tell ,more fun :evil3: )

Old 19-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #18
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit more work done this week. The engine has been rebuilt and dropped in over the weekend. It needs some more tweaking and tuning this week and then we wait for the panel beater to call us up off the bench.

I have sent the steering wheel off to be restored (along with the wheel out of my GS).

I went out and met the trimmer and made sure he had the correct code W (white) repo vinyl to redo the seats and door cards. I have also elected to do a cloth insert in a green houndstooth as per a Gossy in Issue 18 of Australian Muscle Car magazine. That issue had a feature on Goss coupes which I picked up off ebay last week. Interesting reading as it was also the issue that featured the story on "the last of the big bangers".

Here are some updated pics of the engine bay. The motor has been kept mild and original. The only modification I've made in the engine bay is I have fitted period correct xb power steering which you can see in the third pic below. I still need to repaint the rocker covers and some other bits and pieces in the bay. The aim at the moment was to get it running so it can be driven in and out of and around the workshop! The motor was seized when I bought the car.

Sorry, I forgot to take photos of the green houndstooth!

Old 19-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #19
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

She is coming along nicely. I love the sandstone and walnut combo, That is a nice lookin XB ya got there (Both of them). What shape are the holes in your roof turret? Are they perfectly round or more like a slight basic keyhole shape?
Old 20-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #20
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
She is coming along nicely. I love the sandstone and walnut combo, That is a nice lookin XB ya got there (Both of them). What shape are the holes in your roof turret? Are they perfectly round or more like a slight basic keyhole shape?
That's not something I checked out. I won't see the car again until Saturday now. I'll let you know after that.

Thanks for the compliments.
Old 25-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #21
cob115
COUPE WHORE

any updates?

Old 26-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #22
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
any updates?
Hi Pat- I'll be stripping it down this week and next including taking the engine out again. Ive decided to get it bead blasted. The paint is too old & cracked and the rust around passenger side sill a little too much to take the risk of getting it painted without uncovering all the hidden nasties.

Hopefully get the blasting done in the next two to three weeks. cheers George
Old 26-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #23
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't forget to check on those louvres mount holes in the roof to.
Old 19-05-2009, 03:17 AM   #24
cob115
COUPE WHORE

any updates ?

Old 24-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #25
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK update time. The goss is now with my beater. He has stripped all the paint off and has started "addressing" some rust issues. Overall there is not much cancer at all. Just a little at the bottom of the guards, on the tip of the bonnett and around the driver's side taillight. There is none behind any of the guards, in the floor or plenum.

There are also areas where they were too lazy to push out dings and just slapped on the bog. You can see an example of this in the pic of the guard below. The dings are quite minor and are not very hard to knock back into shape without the use of much filler.

We have pretty much finished the driver's side. I hope to have all the rust sorted in the next fortnight.

Old 24-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #26
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In case anyone doesn't know what these really looked like from factory/dealer, the car in the link below is the best original example I've come across:

http://www.musclecarstables.com.au/details.php?id=181
Old 25-05-2009, 07:03 AM   #27
cob115
COUPE WHORE

good one george,reminds me of 2john goss i saw over the weekend one was not to bad the other was cut in half rust bucket ,keep the pics and progres coming

Old 25-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #28
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
good one george,reminds me of 2john goss i saw over the weekend one was not to bad the other was cut in half rust bucket ,keep the pics and progres coming
Thanks Pat. I don't think I'll bother. You are the only person who seems interested in this project!

Last edited by GT-GTF; 25-05-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 26-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #29
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Thanks Pat. I don't think I'll bother. You are the only person who seems interested in this project!
well i hope to see it finished one day,if u luck out with the rear stone tray u can buy fibre glass gt ones from fomoco vic ,they look the goods cheers pat

Old 26-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #30
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
No no no. Keep us updated mate - going by your previous resto this should be ready within a month or two

And its a Gossy to boot!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post