Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default au1 i6 ecu stuffed after being wet?

G'day guys, happy easter to all! as the title says, once the ecu gets wet are they gone or once theyve dried out back to normal? My ecu got wet a couple times and it runs ok with a little miss at idle which i diagnosed as faulty no 1/6 cylinder post on the coil- primary reading at 1.2 ohms, my workshop manual says to ditch coil pack with any readings above 1.0 ohms (spec is 0.6 ohms) bad spark on no 1#, good spark on no 6#. After taping up the connector plug on the coil & loom ive found water getting into the passenger side dripping on top of the ecu causing the motor to run rough until it dries it self out. I will be goin mad this weekend with the silastic up under there, especially were the antenna wire comes in through the guard and the big seam next to it. i dont wont to replace the coil pack only to find out the ecu is damaged due to it being wet in the past then stuffing a new coilpack. Imho its true to say if your ecu gets wet (when driving or motor running) it will stuff your coil pack eventually. If you've been through all of the above and got a opinion i'd be happy to hear it.

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
Day-mow
rexnet

Default Re: au1 i6 ecu stuffed after being wet?

My coil pack used to miss every time I went thru a puddle on passengers side and it sounded like a WRX. Since putting the new coil pack in I've had no issues with any of this.
How many km has the current coil done? They are a disposable item at the end of the day and they do break down. Might be worth replacing it anyway.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

G'day Day-mow, thanks for your input, my coilpack is in the process of being replaced. So did your coilpack return to normal when dry or did you have the miss at idle permanently the first time it got wet? Sorrry for the question mate but i want to be thorough and if anyone else goes thru this problem and reads this thread it will hopefully give them a better idea of whats goin on.

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 08-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

The ECU will survive being wet pretty well.. The circuit boards are usually well covered with urethane. That said, if it keeps getting wet, eventually corrosion will set in..... Pull the case off and check it out, if you like - any corrosion can be removed with an old toothbrush and some carby cleaner or similar. Then re-coat with urethane varnish.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Hi Maka.

In my opinion, your ECU will be in a condition of works or not work at all (not intermittant). Your actual ECU is covered in a waterproof coating and is quite robust. I think that the symptoms that you are describing are more to do with external (to ecu) parts getting wet such as connectors / wiring.

Sounds like you are on track to get it sorted by stopping water ingress and replacing the coil pack.

Good luck
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Thanks guys for your much appreciated input, that info hits the nail right on the head for me thanks. I feel much more confident that once my coilpack is replaced the idle miss will vanish.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you fixed the water problem? Sounds like it could be a blocked evaporator drain tube?
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

G'day Rowan,the first/only time the futura got wet on the passenger side it coincided with a massive storm overnight and the next day after getting rid of the water (heaps), started up the au and it was like running on 2 cylinders, so checked behind the kick panel and it was wet so i dried it all as best as i could, did 3 hail maries and restarted and hoped for the best! After a while it started running better, pretty certain the ecu had dried out enough for it to run kinda normally. Anyway the a/c dump pipe i think is centrally placed and away from the ecu.

cheers,Maka

Old 08-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka
G'day guys, happy easter to all! as the title says, once the ecu gets wet are they gone or once theyve dried out back to normal? My ecu got wet a couple times and it runs ok with a little miss at idle which i diagnosed as faulty no 1/6 cylinder post on the coil- primary reading at 1.2 ohms, my workshop manual says to ditch coil pack with any readings above 1.0 ohms (spec is 0.6 ohms) bad spark on no 1#, good spark on no 6#. After taping up the connector plug on the coil & loom ive found water getting into the passenger side dripping on top of the ecu causing the motor to run rough until it dries it self out. I will be goin mad this weekend with the silastic up under there, especially were the antenna wire comes in through the guard and the big seam next to it. i dont wont to replace the coil pack only to find out the ecu is damaged due to it being wet in the past then stuffing a new coilpack. Imho its true to say if your ecu gets wet (when driving or motor running) it will stuff your coil pack eventually. If you've been through all of the above and got a opinion i'd be happy to hear it.

cheers,Maka
Biggest problem I see with ecu's is a shorted oil . can and will kill the driver in the ecu , check ebay for abcmart in the states and see if they carry the coil number you need , they sell coils for my daily at 1/3 the australian price
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Thanks for the info/heads up atec77,i'm going to have a look on ebay now.

cheers,Maka