Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-12-2006, 11:48 PM   #1
captain
Starter Motor

Default au air conditioner filter

Thought I read in an article most late model ford air conditioners have a dust filter- a filter of some sort. With the smoke etc in rural Vic and other places, the air conditioner in our AUIII is emitting a musty smell. Can anyone one confirm the presence or absence of a filter? And how to replace?

captain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

I believe the pollen filter was only introduced on the BA onwards
Old 20-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
xr8-200

I thought the filter was on the AU. Well I could be wrong, it has happened before.....
I have a simular problem with my aircon. Each time I turn it on it covers my dash in dust. So if there is no cloged filter then what would be the best way to clean out the aircon system?
xr8-200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
Autocade

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain
Thought I read in an article most late model ford air conditioners have a dust filter- a filter of some sort. With the smoke etc in rural Vic and other places, the air conditioner in our AUIII is emitting a musty smell. Can anyone one confirm the presence or absence of a filter? And how to replace?
Captain

Found nothing in the AU2 Manual about a filter
Try spraying Glen 20 in the front footwells while the air con is recirculating for a few minutes
Has worked for me

Cheers
Autocade
Autocade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 03:57 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocade
Captain

Found nothing in the AU2 Manual about a filter
Try spraying Glen 20 in the front footwells while the air con is recirculating for a few minutes
Has worked for me

Cheers
Autocade
Good idea! NilOdor would also work, but Glen 20 would do some germ killing!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 06:04 PM   #6
janek
Ripping it up

LOL

I thought that i was the only one to do that!

(i also do a little cologne for when the ladies come in
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek
LOL

You charmer you! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 08:44 PM   #8
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

All new cars have that musty smell with the a/c is switch on or off for the frist minutes
Old 20-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #9
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek
LOL

Good idea
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 10:27 PM   #10
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but doesn't the musty smell indicate a faulty/expired drier receiver?? Since it's function is to remove moisture from the air/gas (hence the name) if it blocks up, or is left unused for a long period of time, it allows mould to accumulate, causing the smell. Can anyone verify this?? Apparently, it's best to run the air con at least once a week to avoid this happening.
Old 20-12-2006, 10:32 PM   #11
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

There is a proper spray you can buy, made from Wurths and is a anti-bacterial spray that kills germs and things. I used it on mine and it makes the aircon seem real fresh to smell.

Shaun

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 11:11 PM   #12
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but doesn't the musty smell indicate a faulty/expired drier receiver?? Since it's function is to remove moisture from the air/gas (hence the name) if it blocks up, or is left unused for a long period of time, it allows mould to accumulate, causing the smell. Can anyone verify this?? Apparently, it's best to run the air con at least once a week to avoid this happening.
No, not correct. The receiver/drier filters & removes moisture from the A/C system gas.
The musty smell is from moisture sitting in the heater box. If using A/C it's best to switch it off but leave fan on a few kays before stopping to help dry the heater box.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 11:28 PM   #13
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
My recollection is that the aircond should be run for 10? minutes weekly to prevent the seals from deteriorating (drying out and becoming brittle).
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 11:59 AM   #14
janek
Ripping it up

thats what the factory manual says.

mind you, i didnt run the a/c for 18 months- not even once, till i just got the shits one day up in qld and said enough is enough... a/c barely goes off now! :P

Speaking of moisture, anyone had the issue of drops of water dripping onto your passengers feet in summer? wierd as...
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 12:30 AM   #15
pond
Starter Motor

AU1 Fairmont ghia

I too have the mouldy musty smelly aircon and also use Glen 20.

I pop the bonnet and up near the windscreen on the passenger side is a vent intake with a plastic grill over it, and I have been spraying in there with the aircon on flat stick. Seems to remove the smell for a while but returns after a week or two.

Two questions.

Is the intake up under the bonnet near the windscreen on the passenger side the only external intake?

And should I stick it on recirc and try and find the internal intakes up under the dash and give them a squirt too? And if I should, can someone give me a hint on where to start looking for the intakes? Passenger side, driver side, where?
pond is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 02:54 AM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had a musty smell, stale water sort of smell .....turned out to be a small amount of leaves in the bottom of the heater box that got soaked from the aircon core after using the air con, after removal of my dash and heater box /aircon assy at great pains , a mate told me his car had a similar thing and his local mechanic removed the resistor, side of the heater box lhs , then sucked all the rubbish out with a vacuum :( , there is also some special duct cleaning spray specifically for mouldy smell that can be put through the vent system i was told, sorry don`t know the name of the stuff, apparently the go with that is too spray down the air intake passnger side under the bonnet(near id plates) give the fan a run, then put it on recirculate spraying into air intake passeger side floor , after that give it a spray down the air outlets, i also noticed prior to pulling mine apart the drain pipe was no longer draining water out after using the aircon, i just thought it was blocked and so had no alternative but to remove and clean the heater box.......as it turned out the leaves were soaking up the water then giving a mouldy musty smell, the drain was not blocked at all, hope thats some help to you.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #17
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Wurth stuff is great, we used it on a ute at work that went for a swim and it got rid of all the oder in the A/C system. Just turn the A/C oon recirculate on high then press the button ont etop of the can and get out and shut the doors, can lasts about 10mins and you leave it going for another 5 to 10 after that.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #18
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where do you by the Wurth stuff? Does it leave any residue on the trim or windows?
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #19
changinghia
Starter Motor

most mercedes places sell it. Wurth is a merc-approved brand.
its good stuff. :
def leave unit running a while before getting in. pretty potent
changinghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 04:09 AM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to prevent the musty smell , i think part of the answer is nearing the end of journey a k or 2 before parking your limo up, is to leave the fan running for a while with the ac off to help get rid of the moisture in the heater box.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #21
Rfordsfun

Default Re: au air conditioner filter

Hi everyone, I also reckon i have the issue with dust and particles coming out of the air vents, it looks partially lint ? on AU2. and also dust from seats, regardless of vacuuming twice a week, i do leave my windows down in a park environment, but believe cleaning out the air con system would have a beneficial effect. Questions; 1, how do i take out vent guards properly? without breaking them . I'm a stick the vacuum hose up em, for hours of fun. 2, can some one recommend a solution to dust coming from cloth on cloth/leather seats? was informed it may just be from foam seating breaking down?? aka hair spray or a scotch guard product? ya hit em an the dust does fly even after a good seat sucking. kindest regards.
Rfordsfun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post