Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #601
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Nah, cheaper now. Most i paid in central NT in the last year was $2.20.
I did an Alice springs road trip last week, it was $1.55 in Alice springs, the most I paid was $197.9 at Yulara for regular.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 12-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #602
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Topped as i said i would then it took an hour and 20 to get to work cos of that Kenworth Scrap Steel truck turning over on the Ring Road.

It was bumper to bumper all the way until just past Sydney Road.

I stayed in the right hand lane so i could check the Truck out.

The car that was under it that i saw on the news eating breakfast had been removed but the Truck and Trailer were still on their side......BIG fricken mess!!!

ULP is now $1.50 in Melbourne.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #603
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$1:47 92 octane ulp add 10c for 98octane ulp. North West Sydney. If I drove 10-12kms, I could save 6c per litre off both of those. I used to think major branded petrol was a superior product. That may have been true in the past but as we buy already refined low quality fuel from South East Asia & add octane boosters here, I doubt there is any difference.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-12-2017, 11:39 PM   #604
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBFWagon View Post
Topped as i said i would then it took an hour and 20 to get to work cos of that Kenworth Scrap Steel truck turning over on the Ring Road.

The car that was under it that i saw on the news eating breakfast had been removed but the Truck and Trailer were still on their side......BIG fricken mess!!!

Still $1.24 where I am, Melbourne western suburbs
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2017, 11:46 PM   #605
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

How good is the Ring rd though. I used to live in Melbourne & when it was close to finished, a few of us took our big bore sports bikes for an after dark run on those beautiful newly sealed roads. They were the days...
Old 12-12-2017, 11:54 PM   #606
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
How good is the Ring rd though. I used to live in Melbourne & when it was close to finished, a few of us took our big bore sports bikes for an after dark run on those beautiful newly sealed roads. They were the days...
It's pretty good now cos they spent about 12 fricken months widening it.

Its still 2 lanes down the Greensborough end but it opens right up near Thomastown......100k's all the way and........ NO TOLLS!!!

They're still working on the big bridge half way down but when thats finally done it will be great.

Next project is the 'East West' Link.

It REALLY REALLY needs to be done ASAP but theyr'e taking their time deciding what/how to do it.
Old 14-12-2017, 02:44 AM   #607
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's pretty good now cos they spent about 12 fricken months widening it.

Its still 2 lanes down the Greensborough end but it opens right up near Thomastown......100k's all the way and........ NO TOLLS!!!

They're still working on the big bridge half way down but when thats finally done it will be great.

Next project is the 'East West' Link.

It REALLY REALLY needs to be done ASAP but theyr'e taking their time deciding what/how to do it.
Sydney has been good to me financially but it is a stressful city in many ways. There is a lot I miss about Melbourne & besides being a planned city, its a great place. Tolls are a part of your day up here. State govt is a disgrace.Has earmarked 3 billion for sport stadiums when we all know Melbourne is the sports state. Why? Because you can get to the grounds so many different ways, all of them fast. Up here, getting to any footy ground or the beach is always a nightmare. They should realise it and get on with cheaper options that will work & service the rectangle grounds we need to play league. East West link sounds exciting. What sort of benefits are likely?
Old 14-12-2017, 09:23 PM   #608
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Sydney has been good to me financially but it is a stressful city in many ways. There is a lot I miss about Melbourne & besides being a planned city, its a great place. Tolls are a part of your day up here. State govt is a disgrace.Has earmarked 3 billion for sport stadiums when we all know Melbourne is the sports state. Why? Because you can get to the grounds so many different ways, all of them fast. Up here, getting to any footy ground or the beach is always a nightmare. They should realise it and get on with cheaper options that will work & service the rectangle grounds we need to play league. East West link sounds exciting. What sort of benefits are likely?
I had to get a taxi to my new job early this morning....6.30am.

The driver was an Indian in a FG Falcon.

Straight away after telling him the address to drive to i asked him how many k's the falcon had done.....Oh 975,000 he said.

I asked if that was original engine and he....oh yes original.

As we drove up the Ring Road we were talking about the truck accident the other day and how busy the Ring road is these days and I mentioned about how the East West link NEEEEDS to be done.....ASAP.

He said he's heard they (the Government) have approved it and option 1 (there were four options sent out to everyone in the district).

I'm pretty sure he said that option is to tunnel bore down somewhere near the Watsonia Army Barracks and over to Ringwood where the Eastern freeway and then Eastlink link up.

I'm sure they'll do it the cheapest, stupidest, longest time to build option.

It will be better than nothing but god damn the traffic was bad tonight.

ANOTHER accident on the Ring Road coming home tonight this time in the right hand lane a rear ender (2 cars only and a cop car).

Slowed the whole other 2 lanes down to about 40kph.

I did'nt care i was in a new work van.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #609
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

And now.....................back on topic please.
Old 14-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #610
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I had to get a taxi to my new job early this morning....6.30am.

The driver was an Indian in a FG Falcon.

Straight away after telling him the address to drive to i asked him how many k's the falcon had done.....Oh 975,000 he said.

I asked if that was original engine and he....oh yes original.

As we drove up the Ring Road we were talking about the truck accident the other day and how busy the Ring road is these days and I mentioned about how the East West link NEEEEDS to be done.....ASAP.

He said he's heard they (the Government) have approved it and option 1 (there were four options sent out to everyone in the district).

I'm pretty sure he said that option is to tunnel bore down somewhere near the Watsonia Army Barracks and over to Ringwood where the Eastern freeway and then Eastlink link up.

I'm sure they'll do it the cheapest, stupidest, longest time to build option.

It will be better than nothing but god damn the traffic was bad tonight.

ANOTHER accident on the Ring Road coming home tonight this time in the right hand lane a rear ender (2 cars only and a cop car).

Slowed the whole other 2 lanes down to about 40kph.

I did'nt care i was in a new work van.
PM sent....
Old 15-12-2017, 12:42 AM   #611
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like how the RACQ tells us to shop around to save money. Really? You'd burn up any savings, seeing that the difference is usually only about 1 or 2 cents per litre in CQ.
Old 15-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #612
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
I like how the RACQ tells us to shop around to save money. Really? You'd burn up any savings, seeing that the difference is usually only about 1 or 2 cents per litre in CQ.
So true. But when they are all basically the same price what's the point!
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #613
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Really do not understand why 98 & 95 have gone up in my area,20c!($1.68 & $1.61) when 91 has not really moved.I know the price of crude is around $67 a barrel & the good old $ has slid a bit,but 20c?Cheers
Old 16-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #614
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
Think they mean shop around with fuel watch apps.
Old 19-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #615
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Really do not understand why 98 & 95 have gone up in my area,20c!($1.68 & $1.61) when 91 has not really moved.I know the price of crude is around $67 a barrel & the good old $ has slid a bit,but 20c?Cheers
Could be good old demand, not many people buying 91 compared to 95 and 98.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #616
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

These prices are ridiculous, im so over getting ripped on fuel
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #617
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thers a Caltex in my town charging $161.9 for 91 since last Saturday morning!

The other servo, a Shell is $149.9 and ther LPG is the only Shell i see around @74.9 instead 84.9 evry other Shell in Melbourne???

But then again i don't really care what fuel costs anymore cos i just got a new field service van with a BP fuel card and thers a BP just up the road.

Realised today the Toyota Hiace Turbo Diesel Auto van has 4 gears not 3.

I been manually shifting it while going to jobs thinking it was only 1,2 and 3 so its been revving its tits off (about 3,000rpm) on the Western Ring Road @100kph.

Accidently pushed the gear lever over to 'D' today and found 4th lol.

Last edited by GASWAGON; 19-12-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 21-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #618
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
These prices are ridiculous, im so over getting ripped on fuel
From my understanding the reason prices have gone up is cause the USD has gone up in value. All oil is internationally traded in USDs so even if the price of the barrel hasn't changed, because the USD is now worth more compared to the AUD/NZD we end up paying more for the oil. In the case of NZ our dollars dropped in value and the USD went up in value, the result was our pump price jumped from about 1.70 up to 2.02 in effectively 2 weeks.

Long story short it's completely out of our control this time. We just got to hope and pray that US oil production continues to rise and outweighs OPEC restricting production (cause they want to increase the price of oil by restricting supply), in turn making the oil price drop. Alternatively our dollars could shoot up in value or the USD could tank. Any of those 3 and we'll get cheaper petrol back.

If any of that's wrong please do correct me. This is just what I've come to understand from talking to a couple friends who are economics students.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2017, 07:48 PM   #619
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Think they mean shop around with fuel watch apps.
This ... I use the NRMA one ... and sometimes alter my trip home ... if it means a 20c/L saving for a slight detour. Also means checking around my area to find the cheaper station.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #620
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just drove back from Portland to Melbourne. Portland $1.39.9. Colac $1.36.9. Melbourne $1.44.9. How is it that towns over 100ks away are cheaper. So much for the cartage costs. Appears Melbourne is just a rip off....
Old 27-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #621
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz View Post
Just drove back from Portland to Melbourne. Portland $1.39.9. Colac $1.36.9. Melbourne $1.44.9. How is it that towns over 100ks away are cheaper. So much for the cartage costs. Appears Melbourne is just a rip off....
C'mon you know Melbourne's prices vary among the suburbs, $1.35 down my way.
Old 27-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #622
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
C'mon you know Melbourne's prices vary among the suburbs, $1.35 down my way.
Where is your way? From Geelong to Mulgrave there was no fuel under $1.42.

Again how is it so that country stations can be cheaper than Melbourne even with factoring in the cartage costs (That used to be the reason why the country was more expensive than Melbourne)

So in over 2 weeks it's dropped a whole 8cpl from $1.49.9. Within the next 2 weeks its likely to spike again.
Old 27-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #623
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
This ... I use the NRMA one ... and sometimes alter my trip home ... if it means a 20c/L saving for a slight detour. Also means checking around my area to find the cheaper station.
I use the app "petrolspy" fantastic app, for all types of phones.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #624
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

98 octane 149.9 atm at my local Mobil, only a matter of time before it costs way more here.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #625
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz View Post
Where is your way? From Geelong to Mulgrave there was no fuel under $1.42.

Again how is it so that country stations can be cheaper than Melbourne even with factoring in the cartage costs (That used to be the reason why the country was more expensive than Melbourne)

So in over 2 weeks it's dropped a whole 8cpl from $1.49.9. Within the next 2 weeks its likely to spike again.
Hoppers Crossing and it is still $1.35
Old 28-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #626
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hoppers Crossing and it is still $1.35
Just dropped to $1.39.9 in Mulgrave. Still on par with Portland 350km's from here...
Old 28-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #627
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

159.9 for 98 fuel in Ellenbrook, 154.9 for E85. Times like this it worth the extra fuel consumption to run E85.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #628
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Australia has less than 50 days of its fuel supply left, according to the latest government figures.

The Sydney Morning Herald yesterday reported that the country's supply of crude oil stands at 22 days, LPG at 59 days, petrol at 20 days and diesel at 21 days.

Aviation fuel has also dipped to just 21 days.

Overall, Australia's net coverage is coming in at 49.6 days, despite an agreement with the International Energy Agency to store 90 days worth of fuel.

The decline, which Environment and Energy Minister Josh Frydenberg says is due to a combination of fewer domestic refineries, supply and demand and conflict in the Middle East and South China Sea, has prompted a review by the government.

"With the supply and demand dynamics of global energy markets changing rapidly and nearly a decade since the last National Energy Security Assessment, the time is right to relook at and rethink Australia's fuel security," Mr Frydenberg said.

"In the last 10 years, three of Australia's seven domestic refineries have closed and our domestic production of liquid fuels has declined by a third as existing fields become exhausted.

"As a result, Australia's reliance on imported fuel has increased. On any one day, there are up to 45 oil tankers en route to Australia, with more than 20 days' worth of supplies on board."

Mr Frydenberg's announcement comes after an IEA report earlier this year, which said that Australia was "vulnerable to unexpected changes in Asian regional demand patterns" and to "any disruptions of the main supplies from the Middle East, on which the whole Asian region and Australia are dependent."

Liquid fuels are required for 98 per cent of Australia's transport needs, and 37 per cent of the country's energy use.

"There is no room for complacency and this review which will bring together the key stakeholders will detail the steps necessary to ensure Australia continues to enjoy an affordable and reliable fuel supply," Mr Frydenberg said.
Had a friend who works in Defence attend a conference a few weeks back about strategic planning, and a very high government official told them that, because of the two cyclones that impacted the northern parts of Australia earlier this year, there was only 10 days supply of fuel (jncluding jet fuel) left in the country. One more cyclone and petrol would have been rationed.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #629
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

No wonder the oil companies wanted to close down local refining,
now we have tight inventories so the oil companies can push up prices.

ACCC needs a set of dentures and start being a proper regulatory authority.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #630
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
No wonder the oil companies wanted to close down local refining,
now we have tight inventories so the oil companies can push up prices.

ACCC needs a set of dentures and start being a proper regulatory authority.
Basically reduce the supply and increase the prices. Meanwhile Gov Co sits and does sweet stuff all.