Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-10-2018, 12:48 AM   #751
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

Those that hate fuel prices will be able to purchase electric cars in the next few years as they come down in price.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #752
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
FuelWatch was actually useful - letting people know where the best prices were, not a bunch of noobs going all 'stick it to the man' to buy fuel for a week. that'll never work.

NSW and WA (that I know of) are government services, not so easy to sue the government. The ACT ones was just a facebook page/group so easy to target and it folded faster than superman on laundry day. Not that I agree with the allegations at all, how can sharing public information (fuel prices) be something to sue over. if the expensive servos didn't want to lose business they should've been more competitive.
The thing is it worked, our fuel prices took a dive and were in line with Sydney prices, as soon as the page went inactive, BAM fuel prices 15-20 cents more expensive again. Their excuse here is the freight cost, freight cost to Canberra should only be an extra 1cent a litre according to ACCC, but no one will do anything about it.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #753
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
Those that hate fuel prices will be able to purchase electric cars in the next few years as they come down in price.
It's not the fuel prices that annoy me, it's knowing i'm getting ripped off.

But big business rules the world so nothing we can do about it.
Old 14-10-2018, 01:32 PM   #754
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

We might be concerned about what we are now paying per litre of petrol, but European drivers have been paying more than that for almost a decade.

Australia is still the 4th cheapest for petrol among the 33 countries in the OECD and the 6th for diesel and that’s largely due to relatively low fuel taxes.

The Federal Government’s take of 41.2 cents in the dollar for fuel excise plus 10% GST seems exorbitant but it’s not as high as most other countries in the OECD.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #755
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Yes but most European drivers pay only a minor amount of registration cost. You pay when you drive. We should have this system, then you dont get penalized for owning multiple vehicles.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2018, 01:58 PM   #756
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
We might be concerned about what we are now paying per litre of petrol, but European drivers have been paying more than that for almost a decade.

Australia is still the 4th cheapest for petrol among the 33 countries in the OECD and the 6th for diesel and that’s largely due to relatively low fuel taxes.

The Federal Government’s take of 41.2 cents in the dollar for fuel excise plus 10% GST seems exorbitant but it’s not as high as most other countries in the OECD.
That doesn't excuse the fact that we are getting reamed at the pump. If the fuel watch page proved anything to me it's that there is power in numbers when people vote with their wallet. It was an active campaign telling you where the cheapest fuel was and the reasons we should fill up there, it was ALWAYS the cheapest at only 2 outlets here. After two weeks every single servo in Canberra lowered their price to within 5 cents of the competitors where everyone was filling up. This is proof that servos do have a lot of room to move in their prices.
Old 14-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #757
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post

Why do you think you are being ripped off.

Businesses sell at the highest price they can to make the most amount of profit.

If you local petrol station wants to sell fuel at one million dollars, so what ?

The solution is alternative fuels cars like electric where you never ever have to buy fuel again !

Electricity prices have skyrocket so people buy solar panels and batteries.

Last edited by kmav23; 14-10-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 14-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #758
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That doesn't excuse the fact that we are getting reamed at the pump. If the fuel watch page proved anything to me it's that there is power in numbers when people vote with their wallet. It was an active campaign telling you where the cheapest fuel was and the reasons we should fill up there, it was ALWAYS the cheapest at only 2 outlets here. After two weeks every single servo in Canberra lowered their price to within 5 cents of the competitors where everyone was filling up. This is proof that servos do have a lot of room to move in their prices.
Most people can be lazy and and financially clueless.

They will complain about fuel prices to save a few dollars but then they wont change banks to save thousands on home loans or change their superannuation to save huge amounts of money.

If fuel costs are such an issue then change to a nissan leaf or hybrid.
Old 14-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #759
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Oil prices wont stabilise until an Iran peace deal is struck with the US and the Mullahs are removed from power. Expect this to happen around November.

OPEC are the ‘key’ player in determining oil price by manipulating supply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #760
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Peak oil demand is expected before 2030.

All the middle eastern oil nations have accepted this and diversified their investments now into renewables and electric car companies to hedge.

The cheapest fuel prices is to use evs.
Old 14-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #761
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:

They will complain about fuel prices to save a few dollars but then they wont change banks to save thousands on home loans or change their superannuation to save huge amounts of money.

If you read my comments I have never once said that fuel prices are an issue for me to pay.

Last edited by fordomatic; 14-10-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 14-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #762
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you read my comments I have never once said that fuel prices are an issue for me to pay.
not commenting on you.

I said some people are always complaining about the fuels prices when its low priority and the government cant control.

No one can force another country to produce more oil or ask a business to sell a product cheaper.
This user likes this post:
Old 14-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #763
Chopped
as in chopped

I paid $1.89 per litre (98) at the garage today, that’s as high as I can remember. I thought what a rip off, then I noticed that 500ml bottles of water were $3 at the same garage...so maybe fuel isn’t that bad.
Old 15-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #764
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Well they don’t,they are all very,very similar.Mobil is the same as the others,I use BP,Shell,Caltex & currently Mobil(all 98) absolutely no difference whatsoever.Cheers
I will not use Caltex or any of they supply woolys, 7 /11, mobil in SEQ it's the same crap regardless 91, 95, 98 but for there E10 that is good.
From 1995 I have found this out and it's still the same now, I can even tell if a car is using there crap fuel.
A mate was showing me his new 375KW VF SSV power and I said you are using one of them crap fuels and he said how do you know, well I can hear that crappy sound, it's something like a muffled burble type of slight missing sound, it took even me some years to notice this sound, but now I am awake to it I can detect it directly now and old mate got his nose out of joint real badly because he thought it went well, but I said it did not really impress me for 375KW, some months later he turned up again and it really did go well and I said that's not one of the fuels that I bag and he said it was not and he was happy. not to mention he can only use 98 fuel in it.

I go see mates 400km away and when coming home I would overtake a few cars and think this is not really going that well, thing is up there is mainly that crap stations, so I made sure I only put BP or Shell in it from then and then I was really impressed overtaking, I was like f this goes !

If some one puts Caltex type crap in my car I know it, but for the E10.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #765
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
not commenting on you.

I said some people are always complaining about the fuels prices when its low priority and the government cant control.

No one can force another country to produce more oil or ask a business to sell a product cheaper.
Aussie dollar is dropping so the price of fuel will go up, because the USA economy has turned around and is powering up getting a stronger dollar.

Well the USA does force other country's to produce more oil or not and has ways of manipulation the price up or down, they worked to lower the price of oil so that Russia could not clean up, for one.

The same with business, as any government have ways they can manipulate them, sure they do not ask but they do it, they have screwed my business over for years letting in foreign workers flood in so that I had no work at all, not to mention lower the quality standard to just total crap.
Not to mention Paul Keating tried his best to destroy Aussie Business by slamming us into a wall that hard that so many went bankrupt or nearly went under at the time.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #766
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The easiest way to save and make the majors more competitive is to support the independants. The fuel comes out of the same terminals. Vote with your feet !
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #767
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Why do you think you are being ripped off.

Businesses sell at the highest price they can to make the most amount of profit.

If you local petrol station wants to sell fuel at one million dollars, so what ?

The solution is alternative fuels cars like electric where you never ever have to buy fuel again !

Electricity prices have skyrocket so people buy solar panels and batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23

I can only guess that you own several oil companies or own an electric car and you want others to follow you so that you don't feel left out? Only joking. Good on ya if do own oil companies or an electric car.

A Nissan Leaf is not going to lug my family around and all of the associated stuff that comes with a wife and two children.

Also, if you can find me a hybrid ute that is reasonable money I will consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342 View Post
The easiest way to save and make the majors more competitive is to support the independants. The fuel comes out of the same terminals. Vote with your feet !
7/11 at Thornton this morning - 142.9 (unleaded) 162.9 (98 premium)
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #768
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
I will not use Caltex or any of they supply woolys, 7 /11, mobil in SEQ it's the same crap regardless 91, 95, 98 but for there E10 that is good.
From 1995 I have found this out and it's still the same now, I can even tell if a car is using there crap fuel.
A mate was showing me his new 375KW VF SSV power and I said you are using one of them crap fuels and he said how do you know, well I can hear that crappy sound, it's something like a muffled burble type of slight missing sound, it took even me some years to notice this sound, but now I am awake to it I can detect it directly now and old mate got his nose out of joint real badly because he thought it went well, but I said it did not really impress me for 375KW, some months later he turned up again and it really did go well and I said that's not one of the fuels that I bag and he said it was not and he was happy. not to mention he can only use 98 fuel in it.

I go see mates 400km away and when coming home I would overtake a few cars and think this is not really going that well, thing is up there is mainly that crap stations, so I made sure I only put BP or Shell in it from then and then I was really impressed overtaking, I was like f this goes !

If some one puts Caltex type crap in my car I know it, but for the E10.
We will just disagree,to disagree,OK?
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #769
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I can only guess that you own several oil companies or own an electric car and you want others to follow you so that you don't feel left out? Only joking. Good on ya if do own oil companies or an electric car.

A Nissan Leaf is not going to lug my family around and all of the associated stuff that comes with a wife and two children.

Also, if you can find me a hybrid ute that is reasonable money I will consider it.

7/11 at Thornton this morning - 142.9 (unleaded) 162.9 (98 premium)
All the car manufacturers will be making and releasing full electric vehicles.

By 2025 you should be able to buy an electric car in any price or car segment.

So finally we do not have to ever worry about fuel prices again.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #770
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342 View Post
The cheap independants selling toilet paper outside can mix the fuel with crap to make more money.

If you have a brand new car are your going to risk destroying your car costing $10,000 and more to save a few dollars ?
Old 15-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #771
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
All the car manufacturers will be making and releasing full electric vehicles.

By 2025 you should be able to buy an electric car in any price or car segment.

So finally we do not have to ever worry about fuel prices again.
I'll preface this with I have no issue with electric cars.

That is in another 7 years and even then that's a maybe in 7 years. I've read in other places it will more like 2030 and not 2025. Who knows though - unless you have insider information. If you do, please share.

If you think that Government is not going to find another way to tax motorists after they lose out on all of the taxation dollars that they gain from fuel you are sadly mistaken. We may gain it somewhere but will lose it in other places.
Old 15-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #772
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
The cheap independants selling toilet paper outside can mix the fuel with crap to make more money.

If you have a brand new car are your going to risk destroying your car costing $10,000 and more to save a few dollars ?
Do you have definitive proof of this? Facebook doesn't count.
Old 15-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #773
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'll preface this with I have no issue with electric cars.

That is in another 7 years and even then that's a maybe in 7 years. I've read in other places it will more like 2030 and not 2025. Who knows though - unless you have insider information. If you do, please share.

If you think that Government is not going to find another way to tax motorists after they lose out on all of the taxation dollars that they gain from fuel you are sadly mistaken. We may gain it somewhere but will lose it in other places.
The frustration with fuel prices will be another reason why EVs will take off.

People love saving money and being independent.

You could charge a Model 3 50KW battery car at off peak rates say 11 cents and pay $5.50 only !

Or AGL is charging EVS $1 a day to charge !!!

Or solar panels free !!!
Old 15-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #774
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Do you have definitive proof of this? Facebook doesn't count.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/nat...04-gsi9r0.html

4 November 2016 — 6:49pm

More drivers have come forward with cases of fuel contamination after buying fuel from the same service station at the centre of a legal dispute.

The cases, some dating as far back as 2012, come as Bega Valley resident Rod Camilleri is taking United Petroleum to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal for more than $12,000 in damages after purchasing 70 litres of contaminated diesel from United's service station at Michelago in January this year.

The tribunal will next hear the dispute in January after United refused to sign documents admitting liability.

Yowrie resident Bruce Dogan suffered a case of fuel contamination from the service station on November 18 last year after filling up with 35 litres of diesel.

The Michelago United is at the centre of a dispute with a driver who is seeking $12,000 in damages after purchasing contaminated fuel from the service station.

While he was covered by insurance, the incident left the pensioner almost $2000 out of pocket and his car written off.

"I would often fill up [at the Michelago United] as it was the closest service station. After I filled up, by the time I got to Cooma, it was very hard to start," he said.

"The mechanic couldn't work out what was wrong with the car and it was taken to Canberra to get looked at it and they found there was water in the fuel tank."

When Mr Dogan rang the service station about the incident, he was told it was the third instance of fuel contamination on the same day.

He now has to drive 40 kilometres to fill up at the next nearest service station.

"I saved about $4 from filling up at the United but it ended up costing more than $12,000 in damage," he said.

Mark Cooper filled up his Volkswagen with premium unleaded at the Michelago service station in 2012. Then he discovered his car's engine had been damaged due to fuel contamination.

"The whole engine had to be rebuilt. The fuel should be filtered before it gets into the bowser," he said.

Jerangle resident Andrew Roberts was forced to pay for thousands of dollars worth of damage to his car after he also filled up with contaminated fuel.

"The car started to blow black smoke all onto the road and getting a bit rattly and also the fuel consumption wasn't as good as it was," he said.

Mr Roberts was left to pay $8000 as a result of the contamination, despite being insured.

"While water was found in the fuel system, it was difficult to prove anything," he said,

United Petroleum did not respond to questions from The Canberra Times before deadline.

In the past financial year, there have been 270 cases of fuel contamination in Australia, 21 of them in the ACT.

David Webster is the principal of Cooma Diesel Service, which specialises in repairing diesel engines after fuel contamination cases.

He said he estimates he deals with up to 13 cases of fuel contamination every week, with water getting into the fuel supply the most common cause.

"Almost any fuel bowser can have water at any given time, modern vehicles don't like water," he said.

"Fuel systems are so intolerant because it's so precise."

While some service stations have more cases of fuel contamination than others, Mr Webster said any service station could potentially be affected by contaminated fuel.
Old 15-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #775
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
The frustration with fuel prices will be another reason why EVs will take off.

People love saving money and being independent.

You could charge a Model 3 50KW battery car at off peak rates say 11 cents and pay $5.50 only !

Or AGL is charging EVS $1 a day to charge !!!

Or solar panels free !!!
I agree that EVs are the future for the reasons you have stated.

Once most of Australia's private and business fleet are EVs I feel pretty sure that electricity companies will raise prices start charging accordingly.

As for solar, I can't afford solar panels at the moment, I am paying way too much for fuel!!!
Old 15-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #776
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you buy fuel from cheap dodgy places to save a few dollars you take a massive risk.

BP and the big companies are not going to do dodgy stuff as they would damage to their brand and face millions in lawsuits and fines.
Old 15-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #777
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/nat...04-gsi9r0.html

4 November 2016 — 6:49pm

More drivers have come forward with cases of fuel contamination after buying fuel from the same service station at the centre of a legal dispute.

The cases, some dating as far back as 2012, come as Bega Valley resident Rod Camilleri is taking United Petroleum to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal for more than $12,000 in damages after purchasing 70 litres of contaminated diesel from United's service station at Michelago in January this year.

The tribunal will next hear the dispute in January after United refused to sign documents admitting liability.

Yowrie resident Bruce Dogan suffered a case of fuel contamination from the service station on November 18 last year after filling up with 35 litres of diesel.

The Michelago United is at the centre of a dispute with a driver who is seeking $12,000 in damages after purchasing contaminated fuel from the service station.

While he was covered by insurance, the incident left the pensioner almost $2000 out of pocket and his car written off.

"I would often fill up [at the Michelago United] as it was the closest service station. After I filled up, by the time I got to Cooma, it was very hard to start," he said.

"The mechanic couldn't work out what was wrong with the car and it was taken to Canberra to get looked at it and they found there was water in the fuel tank."

When Mr Dogan rang the service station about the incident, he was told it was the third instance of fuel contamination on the same day.

He now has to drive 40 kilometres to fill up at the next nearest service station.

"I saved about $4 from filling up at the United but it ended up costing more than $12,000 in damage," he said.

Mark Cooper filled up his Volkswagen with premium unleaded at the Michelago service station in 2012. Then he discovered his car's engine had been damaged due to fuel contamination.

"The whole engine had to be rebuilt. The fuel should be filtered before it gets into the bowser," he said.

Jerangle resident Andrew Roberts was forced to pay for thousands of dollars worth of damage to his car after he also filled up with contaminated fuel.

"The car started to blow black smoke all onto the road and getting a bit rattly and also the fuel consumption wasn't as good as it was," he said.

Mr Roberts was left to pay $8000 as a result of the contamination, despite being insured.

"While water was found in the fuel system, it was difficult to prove anything," he said,

United Petroleum did not respond to questions from The Canberra Times before deadline.

In the past financial year, there have been 270 cases of fuel contamination in Australia, 21 of them in the ACT.

David Webster is the principal of Cooma Diesel Service, which specialises in repairing diesel engines after fuel contamination cases.

He said he estimates he deals with up to 13 cases of fuel contamination every week, with water getting into the fuel supply the most common cause.

"Almost any fuel bowser can have water at any given time, modern vehicles don't like water," he said.

"Fuel systems are so intolerant because it's so precise."

While some service stations have more cases of fuel contamination than others, Mr Webster said any service station could potentially be affected by contaminated fuel.
Don't just highlight just the bits that help your argument. Read the whole article.

What about me? I own four cars and have all been filled up at United and similar places. None of mine have had problems.

You have looked hard enough every brand has suffered from fuel contamination.

EDIT: Of those 270 cases that you highlighted, they are not all related to United Service Stations.

Last edited by PG2; 15-10-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 15-10-2018, 02:57 PM   #778
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I agree that EVs are the future for the reasons you have stated.

Once most of Australia's private and business fleet are EVs I feel pretty sure that electricity companies will raise prices start charging accordingly.

As for solar, I can't afford solar panels at the moment, I am paying way too much for fuel!!!
The grid cant raise the prices too high as it would cause what the industry says ¨death spiral¨

More people will get solar and batteries and disconnect from the grid as power prices increase...

The more people disconnect or use the grid less the more electricity prices increase..causing more disconnections. causing a death spiral.
Old 15-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #779
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
The grid cant raise the prices too high as it would cause what the industry says ¨death spiral¨

More people will get solar and batteries and disconnect from the grid as power prices increase...

The more people disconnect or use the grid less the more electricity prices increase..causing more disconnections. causing a death spiral.
Fuel price increases have gone into a death spiral as well.

There will always be people reliant on the grid. Think of all of the apartments within a city. Most of those apartments don't have the capacity to run on solar. They will still need the grid. How the grid gets that electricity is another topic for another thread.
Old 15-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #780
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't just highlight just the bits that help your argument. Read the whole article.

What about me? I own four cars and have all been filled up at United and similar places. None of mine have had problems.

You have looked hard enough every brand has suffered from fuel contamination.
People dont sue poor people.

If there is a problem chasing damage claims from someone being sued by many drivers, he could be bankrupt quickly.

If your cars are not that expensive then fine.

But no way I would fuel up a brand new car.