Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #301
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
well said Swordsman88,
It's not enough for these little Holden apologists to gloat about their export
prospects, they then have to turn around and stick the knife into Ford.

Jezz Spinks has jumped the gun in my books, he's just cherry picked a second
hand quote from Angus McKenzie's Motor Trend, a know anti-Ford site.

I'm still seething that these people turned up to a major reveal of the global
Focus and all they could do is deliver their spin on a non-relative issue.
Yea, they had a total of 4 stories to essentially run with.

1 -ve from Ford = Incorrectly quoted / interpreted Falcon as gone.
1 +ve from Ford = Ford Aus are making money and Falcon twinned with Mustang.

1 -ve from GMHolden = Cruze delayed for 2010 (indefinitely? not even speculated)
1 +ve from GMHolden = Lutz sprouting off that he'd like Commodore US exports.

Which stories got the runs?! The negative from Ford and the positive from GMHolden. Both stories are pure speculation.

Which stories deserved to be run?! The Falcon factory is making money & the Cruze is again delayed. The Ford profit got lost in the wake and the Cruze announcement didn't raise an eyebrow or any questions about will it actually happen.

That is bias. Complete, total, all encompassing bias.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #302
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Maybe we should start a new positive thread on what people would like to see in the 2015 Falcon....
Perhaps a poll or two on engines, transmissions, body styles and sizes.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 12:08 AM   #303
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:
Maybe we should start a new positive thread on what people would like to see in the 2015 Falcon....
Perhaps a poll or two on engines, transmissions, body styles and sizes.
Yep I can see a change for something a little smaller, something like a premium RWD somewhere between a 3 and 5 series BMW with access to technology with other Fords from around the world. Perhaps a slightly smaller RWD Mondeo with US V6 and V8 engines. Surely not too hard to ask would it not considering a streamlining of platforms is what is being suggested. Or is what I have suggested just a Lincoln MKZ with an option to go V8 and RWD?

Really, take a look at the demographics that the Falcon has been targeted to and see what is happening to this part of the population. People are going for smaller premium cars with all(or more than) the fruit of a Fairmont Ghia with those choosing larger RWD cars either enthusiasts or fleets or of course older baby boomers. The younger generation have not been brought up on a staple diet of local product like the older generations and this as the large car segment shrinks, will have a more profound effect.

In five years time, I dont see the relevance of a large RWD sedan the size of a current Falcon. Of course, it could be shared with the United States and it's much larger market but the commodore wasn't exactly popular over there was it? Maybe if the Falcon could be built over there too, to overcome their strong unions, the cost of making a less relevant car can be justified.
Old 23-01-2010, 04:14 AM   #304
morak001
460 - cubes torque

My own speculation, built from stuff on this forum, a GRWD platform has been specified as a definate strategic plan. And since the Crown Vic. has been (will be?) discontinued there will be not much left in the Ford bank for RWD aside from the mustang and Falcon.
To me it would make sense to consider a GRWD platform that would integrate Mustang (SWB 2 door), Falcon (mid 4 door saloon) and Lincoln (lwb 4 door saloon).
My perception is that this would go a long way to satisfy AU market (mustang/f'coon/f'lane), middle east markets and whatever the US would like inc. cop cars/ limo & extended wb stuff.

To leave a global market when you have the worlds best RWD engineers seems suicidal. These world best engineers will go to the next best job available, ie the opposition.

To me it is not overly complicated, or am I overly simplified?
morak001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #305
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My own thoughts:

I can see GRWD being a strategy rather than a pure single platform, that shares many key components (driveline, front suspension etc). And there can still be a place for Aussie production.

1. A 'sports' short wheel base platform for Mustang manufactured in the US and exported around the world

2. A Long wheel base version that will replace the Crown Victoria in the police market (I only see Taurus being a stop gap measure) and provide the basis of a large RWD luxury car for Lincoln - Manufactured in US and exported here (return of the Fairlane/LTD?)

3. A short wheel base sedan to replace our Falcon. Manufactured here and exported around the world - 2.0Litre EcoBoost power for Europe,
5.0Litre Coyote power for the Middle East and the US - in high spec luxury trim it could be badged as a Lincoln.

Just some thoughts..............

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #306
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is what some others think (Taken from the Motortrend site):

Ah, so this all suddenly makes sense. Here's how I picture their car lineup around 2015 in size order:

Fiesta - B3
Focus - C2
Fusion/Mondeo - CD4
Mustang - GRWD SWB
Falcon(AU)/TBird - GRWD LWB
Taurus - CD4 LWB

How far off am I Aus?

Thats it.

Read more: http://forums.motortrend.com/70/8089...#ixzz0dOyRWiMd
Ironically its a commemt section that was spawned from the same article that gave birth to the Jizz Spanks 'Falcon is dead article'.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 02:36 AM   #307
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

GRWD wont remain GRWD forever, it'll eventually be given some other moniker, possibly DE something or other.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #308
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
GRWD wont remain GRWD forever, it'll eventually be given some other moniker, possibly DE something or other.
D-E8?
Old 24-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #309
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
......In five years time, I dont see the relevance of a large RWD sedan the size of a current Falcon.....
You know, you say that, the indicators in the media/press are all there, but I cant think of a single car model (small/medium or large category) that has shrunk in the last 20, hell, 10 years.

Equivalent models are still getting bigger...... dosent make sence to me as I agree that Falcon should get a bit smaller and a lot lighter (as technology allows).

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #310
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
You know, you say that, the indicators in the media/press are all there, but I cant think of a single car model (small/medium or large category) that has shrunk in the last 20, hell, 10 years.

Equivalent models are still getting bigger...... dosent make sence to me as I agree that Falcon should get a bit smaller and a lot lighter (as technology allows).

Daniel
The corolla is a prime example.

THe falcon won't get larger, but make greater use of its size, i'ld say the wheelbase will remain the same size, but with a more compact body, like the VE (sort of) most rwd sedans are having the the wheels right in the corners to maximize cabin space.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #311
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
The corolla is a prime example.

THe falcon won't get larger, but make greater use of its size, i'ld say the wheelbase will remain the same size, but with a more compact body, like the VE (sort of) most rwd sedans are having the the wheels right in the corners to maximize cabin space.
If the Inline 6 goes, then the nose of the Falcon can be shortened roughly 125mm (5"),
combine that with moving the rear axle rearwards by about 50mm (2") and you get a car
that keeps the same interior space as FG but takes on a much newer exterior look while
being shorter and lighter. Maybe such a car could span mid sized and large car brackets.....
Old 24-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #312
CFOUR
The Destroyer

With all the saftey rails and braces Its quite cramped in the fg compared to the au/ba/bf. Also the falcon needs more rear head room, the last time I fit sitting comfy was el and it's has got worse with every model.
Old 24-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #313
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
With all the saftey rails and braces Its quite cramped in the fg compared to the au/ba/bf. Also the falcon needs more rear head room, the last time I fit sitting comfy was el and it's has got worse with every model.
Funny that, of all the Falcons since EL, my brothers EL is still the easiest car to get in and out of, front or back, and has a tonne of head room, front or back.

However, E-Series - ****ing owners off since 1988....

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #314
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
Funny that, of all the Falcons since EL, my brothers EL is still the easiest car to get in and out of, front or back, and has a tonne of head room, front or back.

However, E-Series - ****ing owners off since 1988....
That's because the basic shape of the passenger compartment wasn't changed until FG,
it's one of the more expensive items to change and Ford was stuck with it for a decade.
Old 24-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #315
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
If the Inline 6 goes, then the nose of the Falcon can be shortened roughly 125mm (5"),
combine that with moving the rear axle rearwards by about 50mm (2") and you get a car
that keeps the same interior space as FG but takes on a much newer exterior look while
being shorter and lighter. Maybe such a car could span mid sized and large car brackets.....
I'd use the extra room to increase the size in the cabin.
Old 24-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #316
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I'd use the extra room to increase the size in the cabin.
The point i was trying to make with my post.

The mondeo is a medium car, but is almost as roomy as the falcon, so the falcon needs to star large, but with smarter use of space. The FG almost got it right, its just the wheel base limits what could be done.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #317
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
The point i was trying to make with my post.

The mondeo is a medium car, but is almost as roomy as the falcon, so the falcon needs to star large, but with smarter use of space. The FG almost got it right, its just the wheel base limits what could be done.
The I6 holds the Falcon design back a fair bit compared to most other large sedans, having such a tall long engine to deal with forward of the firewall reduces cabin space substantially if you're working to a fixed wheelbase objective...

Old 24-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #318
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The I6 holds the Falcon design back a fair bit compared to most other large sedans, having such a tall long engine to deal with forward of the firewall reduces cabin space substantially if you're working to a fixed wheelbase objective...
Funny enough if it was FWD it would allow more space, but at the end of the day its a compromise that I'm quite happy to put up with especially when it drives so well.
Old 24-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #319
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Funny enough if it was FWD it would allow more space, but at the end of the day its a compromise that I'm quite happy to put up with especially when it drives so well.
Geez imagine trying to get the I6 to fit "east west"

As great an engine as it is, and has been, i wonder how much sticking with it has inadvertantly backed the Falcon into the deadend corner its in now?

Old 24-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #320
prydey
Rob

Quote:

most other makers of I6 engines have also moved to V config. not sure about bmw but merc and nissan stopped I6's some time ago. as witnessed by those 2 marques though, it doesn't mean you have to switch to FWD.

worldwide everyone is going down the small capacity, forced induction route. at least the falcon has that on board already in the near future.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #321
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
most other makers of I6 engines have also moved to V config. not sure about bmw but merc and nissan stopped I6's some time ago. as witnessed by those 2 marques though, it doesn't mean you have to switch to FWD.

worldwide everyone is going down the small capacity, forced induction route. at least the falcon has that on board already in the near future.
I think ultimately "V" configuration engines will be the prefered layout for engines larger than 4cyls for obvious reasons, when efficient use of space is a critical design element its the logical way forward.

Old 24-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #322
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:

Merc yes, BMW wont go V6 for passenger cars as the said they are rubbish.
Old 24-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #323
prydey
Rob

Quote:

they build a great I6, but other manufacturers (main rival merc) have shown that it is possible to build a good V motor.
Old 24-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #324
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
they build a great I6, but other manufacturers (main rival merc) have shown that it is possible to build a good V motor.
Porche are pretty handy with 3 cyl per bank engines too....

Old 24-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #325
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Porche are pretty handy with 3 cyl per bank engines too....
Horizontally apposed is still the same balance as an inline motor.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #326
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
Horizontally apposed is still the same balance as an inline motor.
except for the "boxer shimy"
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #327
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
I've got a very old Wheel$ article to back that up.

Basically, BMW have built V6 engines, but keep going back to their I6 configuration, partly for their I4 engines, but mostly because they are smoother. Also note the reference to the 2003 Falcon.

Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 04:11 AM   #328
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I think it is funny in that article that BMW did their testing by "...chopping two cylinders of a 90 degree V-8 and six cylinders off a 60 degree V-12."

Nothing like butchering a motor and saying it is not as good as one that was designed and made without being butchered.

The 3.0 Duratec 24 valve V-6 is my 1996 Sable, which is a wreck, runs as smooth and powerful as the day it was new. It has over 150,000 miles on it.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #329
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the I-6 Vs V6 battle was fought and won by V6 years ago,
its versatility in FWD and RWD configurations makes it the winner.

Since the bulk of Ford's cars are now FWD it makes sense for them to pick the V6
but that doesn't mean that the I-6 can't stay with us for about 5 years more.............
Old 25-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #330
prydey
Rob

getting back closer to the topic, whats the breakdown of models in the large car segment that run rear drive compared to front drive? toyota offer front drive, and american fords, but most other marques are rear drive. merc, bmw, audi, volvo?, honda,etc

surely it would be in ford's best interests to have a rear drive platform available.