Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #421
prydey
Rob

cars have been steadily growing so much that a whole new segment has been created (yaris, fiesta, mazda 2 etc etc), and the LWB segment has disappeared.

i have an eb falcon and a bf2 falcon, and the size difference is huge. once upon a time the eb falcon was a large family car. it still carries 5 in comfort (well mine doesn't - its low and loud(v8)). the current focus/corolla is about the same size as the old large size sedans.

i realise a lot of the excess size is the improvement in passenger cell safety, but i think there is a lot of room to shrink them down a touch.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #422
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
I saw one comparison of the Taurus vs G8, and one thing that caught my eye was that the Taurus was alot quieter in terms of interior noise, was something like 3-4 DBA better everywhere.
Yeah but Falcon trumps VE fairly well also. There was a NZ article that had the F6 2-3 dB quiter than an Audi A3 IIRC as well.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #423
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
I saw one comparison of the Taurus vs G8, and one thing that caught my eye was that the Taurus was alot quieter in terms of interior noise, was something like 3-4 DBA better everywhere.
Well the G8 must be a bit noisy then as MSBC writer (Dan Carney) for Motorhead has given a not so glowing report on the ecoboost3.5 litre describing it as "louder and unrefined than most of its contemporaries" how ever he liked the rest of the car, you will find the site here.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32205518/ns/business-autos/
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #424
Chopped
as in chopped

That 2010 Taurus SVO is a whale. (2008 G8 took care of it ! - Taurus Fail)
Old 02-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #425
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
I am not sure what they will do about size. Thinking back to the fuel shortage of the 1970's, I would think cars will be shrunk down, especially since Mulally said that there was a market shift to smaller cars. With that and the similar conditions to the fule shortage of the 1970's (high cost) I think shrinking across the board is likely, where possible. Just my thoughts.

Steve
I kind of wonder sometimes, that cars have grown and grown with each model following the trend for more space expectations. I wonder also if we are now on the precipice of when people would still like to keep the same 'nameplate' but would also like something slightly smaller.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 11:07 PM   #426
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I kind of wonder sometimes, that cars have grown and grown with each model following the trend for more space expectations. I wonder also if we are now on the precipice of when people would still like to keep the same 'nameplate' but would also like something slightly smaller.

Falcon's size used to be an asset when people used 2wds to tow and airfares were expensive. Now its size is a liability, if you want to go interstate you get a $70 Virgin blue ticket, if you want to tow you probably already have a 4wd.

Whenever family, colleagues, friends are looking for a new car so many of them reject my Falcon suggestions because 'they are too big'.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #427
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Falcon's size used to be an asset when people used 2wds to tow and airfares were expensive. Now its size is a liability, if you want to go interstate you get a $70 Virgin blue ticket, if you want to tow you probably already have a 4wd.

Whenever family, colleagues, friends are looking for a new car so many of them reject my Falcon suggestions because 'they are too big'.
thats pretty small minded to think that you only need 1 plane ticket to go interstate. family of 4 = still cheaper to drive and then i have my own transport once i get there.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #428
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Channel nine reports on the Today show that Ford is moving some of it's operations back to the states. Does any one know more about this?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #429
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
Channel nine reports on the Today show that Ford is moving some of it's operations back to the states. Does any one know more about this?
That was a little line added to the end of the sports report on T8 launching its new holdens (leaving Ford) and i have no clue what it refers to. I doubt anyone knows what it refers to other than perhaps an off handed remark from whincup/dane etc. re 'ford leaving' and so defecting to holden. It is very vague and frankly based in no fact...i don't think ford australia would have any idea what they meant by that frankly.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #430
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
That was a little line added to the end of the sports report on T8 launching its new holdens (leaving Ford) and i have no clue what it refers to. I doubt anyone knows what it refers to other than perhaps an off handed remark from whincup/dane etc. re 'ford leaving' and so defecting to holden. It is very vague and frankly based in no fact...i don't think ford australia would have any idea what they meant by that frankly.....
Ta after I wrote that line, I sat and thought to myself, why would Wincup bother even talking about Ford unless it was a final shot across the bow. He simply would have been using Jizz Spanks words against Ford.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #431
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
I swore at my TV when she spouted that rubbish. Got to love the uninformed indoctrinating the public with BS
Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #432
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyB
I swore at my TV when she spouted that rubbish. Got to love the uninformed indoctrinating the public with BS
It's time some one wrote/emailed these Programs (Nine in particular as they were the one that mimicked Jizzes words) to correct some of there statements that they have made regarding this issue.
If it was any other company that had been misrepresented by the media, there would have been a retraction made public, albeit at 2 o clock on a Sunday morning. It would be great if Ford themselves come out and release a press statement to the media, but I won't hold my breath on that one. :
Old 06-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #433
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Spotted turning off the street into Product Engineering, one brand new LHD evaluation Taurus, and one LHD Fusion.

Just wait until the media spot them out on the road. Cue new "Falcon replacement already in testing" headlines.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #434
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Spotted turning off the street into Product Engineering, one brand new LHD evaluation Taurus, and one LHD Fusion.

Just wait until the media spot them out on the road. Cue new "Falcon replacement already in testing" headlines.

Oh Dear...................
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #435
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

Is PD at Broady involved in the next gen C/D platform development at all?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #436
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

If the decision has already been, and I'm still holding out hope that it hasn't, then the Subaru Liberty that replaced my EF XR6 will be replaced by another Subaru product.

Doesn't mean that I won't get a second hand E-series or B-series to play with down the track.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #437
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Yes the US team is giving regions like FoA work to do on the combined Mondeo/Fusion platform.

Maybe we are recognised exponents in RHD versions of Ford vehicles?
Wouldn't it be neat if FoA did all the Global RHD versions of other region's vehicles.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #438
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris
What do you see as their differences, strengths etc?
Sorry for the late response but regarding Falcon and Taurus differences,
it's an opportunity to test the depth of G6ET market by offering an AWD product?

I'd like to see Ford import high series Taurus SHO and Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
if only to give HSV something to think about in terms of luxury sports vehicles....

I see it as an opportunity for Ford to to grow its large vehicle sales by offering more products....
Old 06-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #439
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:

What the? have we been led astray?
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #440
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
It could also be for benchmarking purposes too, because development work on FGII would more than likely be finalised and work on the 2012 model will now more than likely be in full swing.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #441
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
No need to worry, Ford always evaluate cars from across the Ford world. Detroit always have a fleet a global Ford vehicles including Falcon and Territory too. They could have been testing anything from the transmission to the electronics to anything in between, or benchmarking them against the new Falcon.

I've seen Lincolns and Mustangs and all sorts of vehicles over the years. Even Cadillacs and such.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #442
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
PD is in Geelong.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #443
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Sorry for the late response but regarding Falcon and Taurus differences,
it's an opportunity to test the depth of G6ET market by offering an AWD product?

I'd like to see Ford import high series Taurus SHO and Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
if only to give HSV something to think about in terms of luxury sports vehicles....

I see it as an opportunity for Ford to to grow its large vehicle sales by offering more products....
As a brand, Taurus is poison in Australia. A wide cross section of people that I've spoken to believe that if Ford Aus. replaces Falcon with Taurus then Ford is finished in this country. It's that sort of perception that has the potential to damage the entire Ford brand downunder.

The Lincoln MKS on the other hand may be positive - it would be a sort of new-kid-on-the-block and with Lincoln branding it would have none of the Ford negatives associated with it.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #444
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No need to worry, Ford always evaluate cars from across the Ford world. Detroit always have a fleet a global Ford vehicles including Falcon and Territory too. They could have been testing anything from the transmission to the electronics to anything in between, or benchmarking them against the new Falcon.

I've seen Lincolns and Mustangs and all sorts of vehicles over the years. Even Cadillacs and such.
The real worry is that we just become a 'design house' and lose all our manufacturing capability, which would be very likely in a scenario where Falcon is replaced by a FWD car.

Maybe Ford don't quite grasp the nature of this market - the large car market is the RWD market made up of predominately Falcon and Commodore with a few Statemans, Caprice and 300Cs at the luxury end.

Larger FWD cars in this coutry such as the Toyota Aurion and Nissan Maxima are cross shopped against the wider medium sized market inhabited by Camry's, Mazda 6s, Subaru Libertys, Hyundai Sonatas etc.

By moving Falcon onto a FWD platform, Ford Aus is effectively swapping 30-40k sales in an essentially 2-player market for a max of 10-15K sales in what may well be a 10-player market by 2015. A big problem for the medium market is the growing size of C-class cars.

In the medium market the Falcon name will have a perception problem - Ford better be prepared to spend big on marketing if they wish to keep the Falcon name in that market because at the moment it is perceived as being a guzzler among potential Camry/Liberty/Mazda6 customers. All the Comparisons against the Commodore 3.0 SIDi haven't changed that perception amongst this crowd -it's just made the Commodore look thirstier.

The Taurus name is out for the reasons I've alluded to in a previous post, and with only 15K potential sales a year it would hardly warrant local manufacture - UNLESS we are to be exporters of said FWD car?

I realise that at the end of the day Australia is very small fry in the Ford world; Ford Aus. annual sales are equivalent to about one-months worth of Ford brand (excluding Lincoln & Mercury) sales in the US, and that the decision will be made regardless of how strongly we feel about it:

The only consolation is that we may get a proper RHD Mustang, not the coverted LHD job we had with the Mustang Cobra.

Last edited by Chilliman; 07-02-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #445
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my opinion, the large car market is not the problem, it's the failure of Fiesta/Focus/Mondeo
to capture significant sales in their respective areas, there would be less pressure on Falcon
if these vehicles would pull their weight. Head office must be tearing their hair out looking at poor results.

I'll make a small wager that Ford head office tries again with the Taurus.... this one:

Old 07-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #446
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In my opinion, the large car market is not the problem, it's the failure of Fiesta/Focus/Mondeo
to capture significant sales in their respective areas, there would be less pressure on Falcon
if these vehicles would pull their weight. Head office must be tearing their hair out looking at poor results.

I'll make a small wager that Ford head office tries again with the Taurus.... this one:

Yes the large car market is doing relatively well for Ford Aus -why then would you want to abandon that market to compete in other segments where you haven't been doing so well lately; which is effectively what will happen if Falcon is replaced by a FWD model.

While I agree that the current Taurus is lightyears ahead of the crap that was sent here last time -anything with that name here in Aus. would be suicide. They better think of a new name and fast!

Old 07-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #447
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
Yes the large car market is doing relatively well for Ford Aus -why then would you want to abandon that market to compete in other segments where you haven't been doing so well lately; which is effectively what will happen if Falcon is replaced by a FWD model.
That alternate universe is still five years away, what about now?
Why isn't Ford competing more heavily in these other markets?
it is possible to do two things at the one time.....

Quote:
While I agree that the current Taurus is light years ahead of the crap that was sent here last time -anything with that name here in Aus. would be suicide. They better think of a new name and fast!
Not necessarily, I think it would serve FoA's purpose perfectly.
Sell Falcon and Taurus side by side, Marin then gets his real world buyer
demographics and approaches Dearborn for more RWD funding after Taurus
sales perform like Ford's other FWDs.

This could be perfect timing for the RWd stalwarts to get exactly the ammunition they want,
perfect part is the Aussie buying public would get to decide which vehicles it really wants.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #448
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not necessarily, I think it would serve FoA's purpose perfectly.
Sell Falcon and Taurus side by side, Marin then gets his real world buyer
demographics and approaches Dearborn for more RWD funding after Taurus
sales perform like Ford's other FWDs.

This could be perfect timing for the RWd stalwarts to get exactly the ammunition they want,
perfect part is the Aussie buying public would get to decide which vehicles it really wants.
I hope that is Marin's line of thinking - a real world demonstration of how badly a FWD replacement for Falcon would fare :

Old 07-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #449
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
I like this idea too, but does Ford sell a RHD Taurus anywhere in the world?
Old 07-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #450
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I hope that is Marin's line of thinking - a real world demonstration of how badly a FWD replacement for Falcon would fare :
I chose to see it another way, Taurus capturing sales from buyers who don't normally purchase Falcons.
If Taurus adds sales without competing with the Falcon, it becomes a master stroke but in saying that
Marin will still have his ammunition to prove that a RWD Falcon is justified in Australia but Taurus is welcome too.

PS, I like your thinking on Lincoln MKS, maybe as a newer Ford LTD it can capture another buying group...