Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2021, 10:35 PM   #1
Trendseeker

Default Vfacts March

https://www.caradvice.com.au/941220/...ock-shortages/

Ford in 5th spot.

Ford Endura – 2
Ford Escape – 298
Ford Everest – 512
Ford Fiesta – 37
Ford Focus – 123
Ford Mondeo – 1
Ford Mustang – 130
Ford Puma – 469
Ford Ranger 4x2 – 273
Ford Ranger 4x4 – 3710
Ford Transit Custom – 224
Ford Transit Heavy – 198
Ford total – 5977

Last edited by Trendseeker; 07-04-2021 at 10:43 PM.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2021, 11:16 PM   #2
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: Vfacts March

Chinese made MG onslaught continues with 3,303 sales for the month.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2021, 11:40 PM   #3
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to escape and Puma selling a few cars.

The Chinese onslaught is pretty disgusting.
At a time when China trade is horrible we thank them by buying their cars in record numbers. Good old straya doing brain dead strayin things.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2021, 11:47 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post

At a time when China trade is horrible we thank them by buying their cars in record numbers. Good old straya doing brain dead strayin things.
The almighty dollar 💸💸💸
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-04-2021, 01:15 AM   #5
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think MGs are one of few brands without a supply problem.
People are just buying whatever they can get.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2021, 06:27 AM   #6
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Escape sales would be much higher if there was stock.

Our Dec order, Feb expected hand over has no build date as of yesterday and we'll be lucky to see anything before June.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2021, 03:13 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post

Our Dec order, Feb expected hand over has no build date as of yesterday and we'll be lucky to see anything before June.
Same with Wildtrak and Raptor. Just can't get enough of them to satisfy demand.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2021, 03:55 PM   #8
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I can buy a top spec MG HS for $40k, or I can buy an Escape Titanium for $55k, a RAV4 for $55k, or a CX-5 for $56k. People here love to say that for most people these cars are just transport, so instead of blaming the consumer, blame the companies for charging high prices just because they think they can.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2021, 07:03 PM   #9
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Rav4 and CX-5 (2 of Escapes competitors) both moved over 3000 units in the same time as Ford moved 298 Escapes, and they are also seeing stock issues... Will take more than stock to get even half of those model's... It seems they are FINALLY advertising them properly now so hopefully we see that number go up, but its a worry...

As for stock issues, its most makers seeing the same issues. Kia cant get anywhere near enough Sorento's or Carnival's. When wifeys was getting her first service a week or so ago I went and had a chat to my salesman whilst waiting and they are at 7-8 month wait on Sorento and Carnival is at 6 months minimum. Kia Australia are sourcing as many cars from other RHD Markets as possible also to fill orders...

Crazy times...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I can buy a top spec MG HS for $40k, or I can buy an Escape Titanium for $55k, a RAV4 for $55k, or a CX-5 for $56k. People here love to say that for most people these cars are just transport, so instead of blaming the consumer, blame the companies for charging high prices just because they think they can.
[DELETED]
Apparently asking a stupid premium for your product is sound business sense and should be both accepted and applauded by all and sundry as they're just positioning themselves as premium products.

Last edited by PG2; 08-04-2021 at 07:39 PM. Reason: I was waiting for it and you duly delivered.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2021, 07:28 PM   #11
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post

As for stock issues, its most makers seeing the same issues. Kia cant get anywhere near enough Sorento's or Carnival's. When wifeys was getting her first service a week or so ago I went and had a chat to my salesman whilst waiting and they are at 7-8 month wait on Sorento and Carnival is at 6 months minimum. Kia Australia are sourcing as many cars from other RHD Markets as possible also to fill orders...

Crazy times...
Agreed, only have to look at the year on year growth amongst the top 10 to see Kia is the outlier at only +2.6% when the market in general and those bigger brands are seeing double figure growth.
It is clearly a supply issue and yet they're still 5th overall, a fair effort id have thought.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:36 PM   #12
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Agreed, only have to look at the year on year growth amongst the top 10 to see Kia is the outlier at only +2.6% when the market in general and those bigger brands are seeing double figure growth.
It is clearly a supply issue and yet they're still 5th overall, a fair effort id have thought.
Hyundai is the same (makes sense being they are "sister wives") with the Santa Fe just being refreshed and are at 6 month+ already. Ford is the same with the Mustang at the moment (im being quoted 6 months for one of them as well) Toyota and Mazda are apparently in the same boat...

Bad time to try get yourself into a Brand new car without the wait.

I honestly think if the wait had of been that high when I bought wifey's GT Line Sorento I wouldnt of bothered... Even the 1 month (to the day) we waited was anoying.. Though I am impatient...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2021, 08:45 PM   #13
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
[DELETED]
Apparently asking a stupid premium for your product is sound business sense and should be both accepted and applauded by all and sundry as they're just positioning themselves as premium products.
So how does Toyota and Mazda charge more and sell more?
Old 08-04-2021, 09:11 PM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Crying all the way to the bank with 32,000 sales between them.....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2021, 09:31 PM   #15
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Reputation, something Ford just doesn’t have outside of Ranger. Mazda played the game better. They used to be on the cheaper side, or more in the middle, and they’ve slowly crept up, while nailing the product and customer service side of things to go with it. Ford used to be priced competitively, had crap customer service, average quality product and almost overnight decided they’d become a ‘premium’ offering, but the crap service didn’t change until much later.
4 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2021, 10:28 PM   #16
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
See post#15
Except I'm talking about Rav 4 and CX-5 outselling the MG while being $15K more expensive. The Ford Escape is never going to outsell either and I didn't include it in my post for this very reason.

What was deleted in your post#10?
Old 08-04-2021, 11:24 PM   #17
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Except I'm talking about Rav 4 and CX-5 outselling the MG while being $15K more expensive. The Ford Escape is never going to outsell either and I didn't include it in my post for this very reason.

Why shouldn’t Escape outsell them? Ford cannot be happy selling a couple of hundred a month while others are selling thousands.

The reputation explanation would apply to MG as well. And the sales growth they’re achieving is down to their cars being good at being a mode of transport and a keen entry price, price being something Ford abandoned without the service to back it up.

I’m not assuming anything regarding MG’s sales mix, but I hardly see any entry level models on the road. They’re mostly the higher end models. I wonder how many people go in attracted by the entry price and end up being up sold.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:32 PM   #18
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why shouldn’t Escape outsell them? Ford cannot be happy selling a couple of hundred a month while others are selling thousands.

The reputation explanation would apply to MG as well. And the sales growth they’re achieving is down to their cars being good at being a mode of transport and a keen entry price, price being something Ford abandoned without the service to back it up.

I’m not assuming anything regarding MG’s sales mix, but I hardly see any entry level models on the road. They’re mostly the higher end models. I wonder how many people go in attracted by the entry price and end up being up sold.

As you stated in your own post, doesn't have the reputation for reliability that Toyota still portrays while Mazda has managed to lift it's image which frankly has only occurred here compared to it's own domestic market and the USA where such a market perception hasn't taken place.

And imho after looking at it's competitors I think the Escape is actually the better vehicle.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:44 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Ford used to be priced competitively,
I wonder if those that make these comments actually compare the cars based on spec level and actual content...

Just bought a brand new Escape (likely be in next months figures) and compared to cx5 or rav4 its a bargain, with substantial more kit for a lot less coin.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:46 PM   #20
prydey
Rob

Quote:

And imho after looking at it's competitors I think the Escape is actually the better vehicle.
easily
Old 08-04-2021, 11:57 PM   #21
prydey
Rob

Quote:
This is a very simplistic outlook.

Yes, any manufacturer, regardless of industry, wants to sell as much product as they can. That's a given. If their competitors are selling x amount more, it goes without saying they would also like to be selling more, however it doesn't mean that the current sales level isn't profitable, or sustainable even.

If Ford sell everything that comes over on the boat then there isn't much more they can do.

How much does it cost to bring them over? How many vehicles does each dealership actually need to sell to remain open and profitable?

There are so many variables that its impossible to make assumptions based on monthly sales data.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:10 AM   #22
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

Peoples perception of the brand is better, id pay the premium for a vehicle if i believed it will be reliable and backed if not.
Then theres resale, over 5yrs you'll recoup much of that premium as they hold their value, MG is an uncertainty in both regards and rightly so, it doesnt have the runs on the board yet and at the same time they havent earnt a reputation for burning customers either like others.

Dont worry about the editing.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:59 AM   #23
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I wonder if those that make these comments actually compare the cars based on spec level and actual content...

Just bought a brand new Escape (likely be in next months figures) and compared to cx5 or rav4 its a bargain, with substantial more kit for a lot less coin.
Was it a long wait?
Old 09-04-2021, 12:09 PM   #24
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I think I've mentioned somewhere my daughter's car is an SA Focus Titanium and as I'm her main driving instructor until paid lessons start next week I often drive her car to pick her up from work and she drives home.

I'm genuinely blown away by how good it is, yes it's a top spec however it's engine is a ripper, sounds great, torque converter auto, every safety tech needed, handles great (not allowed to find out yet during lessons ), euro build if that even matters, and white with the blacked out headlights looks great.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:18 PM   #25
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Was it a long wait?
We weren't planning on buying new. Just happened our local dealer had one left in stock and at less than $3k more than the 2018 st line we were looking at, it was a no brainer.

There is one or two more around the state but I'm guessing they are all from the final shipment prior to the shortages. Ours is 20.75 model.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:42 PM   #26
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The RAV4 And Escape start at just over $36k drive away but have completely different
power trains, the RAV has FWD VCT, the Escape has a FWD 2.0 EB that’s a big difference.
But then for a couple grand more, you can get a RAV4 hybrid which is selling strongly.....

So I’m wondering if Escape is missing major sales without the hybrid which Ford Europe
announced earlier this year, a 2,5 Hybrid Escape is a much better fit over another 2.0 diesel.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2021, 02:45 PM   #27
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The RAV4 And Escape start at just over $36k drive away but have completely different
power trains, the RAV has FWD VCT, the Escape has a FWD 2.0 EB that’s a big difference.
But then for a couple grand more, you can get a RAV4 hybrid which is selling strongly.....

So I’m wondering if Escape is missing major sales without the hybrid which Ford Europe
announced earlier this year, a 2,5 Hybrid Escape is a much better fit over another 2.0 diesel.
No diesel Escape and hybrid is coming. Spec levels are well in favour of escape at each price point.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:59 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
This is a very simplistic outlook.

Yes, any manufacturer, regardless of industry, wants to sell as much product as they can. That's a given. If their competitors are selling x amount more, it goes without saying they would also like to be selling more, however it doesn't mean that the current sales level isn't profitable, or sustainable even.

If Ford sell everything that comes over on the boat then there isn't much more they can do.

How much does it cost to bring them over? How many vehicles does each dealership actually need to sell to remain open and profitable?

There are so many variables that its impossible to make assumptions based on monthly sales data.
They are selling just about every car they can get atm. Problem is they simply cannot get enough vehicles, bar Puma and Fiesta ST. Everything else is in short supply, or simply unavailable. Escape won't see any more deliveries till mid year, as all production is being prioritized to the european market. Thailand had plant shutdowns, and europe and the US have had covid delays and semi-conductor shortages resulting in plant shutdowns. It's reeking havoc right across the globe for nearly all manufacturers. Ford won't see a return to normal supplies till late in the year.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2021, 05:21 PM   #29
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We weren't planning on buying new. Just happened our local dealer had one left in stock and at less than $3k more than the 2018 st line we were looking at, it was a no brainer.

There is one or two more around the state but I'm guessing they are all from the final shipment prior to the shortages. Ours is 20.75 model.
Yep, I should have bought the 2020.75MY Vignale the dealer had back in Dec, wife wanted red and this was metallic grey so placed an order ...and that one would have still had paddle shifters, heated steering wheel and heated rear seats and even had 20" wheels...
Old 09-04-2021, 05:26 PM   #30
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
They are selling just about every car they can get atm. Problem is they simply cannot get enough vehicles, bar Puma and Fiesta ST. Everything else is in short supply, or simply unavailable. Escape won't see any more deliveries till mid year, as all production is being prioritized to the european market. Thailand had plant shutdowns, and europe and the US have had covid delays and semi-conductor shortages resulting in plant shutdowns. It's reeking havoc right across the globe for nearly all manufacturers. Ford won't see a return to normal supplies till late in the year.
hmmmm...I probably could buy a Tiguan (hate dsg's) or Volvo XC60 faster...