Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 11:15 PM   #181
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Casper its not going anywhere, everyone well just have to swallow what they think is right.
The whole thing won’t get anywhere the way its going, if we go on about simple bonnet scoop, what’s going to happen when the classes are put down on paper.
I agree Mark, I doubt that this will ever get onto paper at this rate. Might just be time to accept, move on and be done with it, I know I am.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:22 PM   #182
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Casper & Brenden so what do you think of my idea to allow older cars to have scoops then? Your car is "opened" isn't it Brenden it:

Alex is there a difference in the height of the GT/GS bonnet from normal XB/XC bonnets or is it just a change in pressing to cater for the scoops?

: As I put in my classes there should be more freedoms for older cars, as they will not get near a BA mod-for-mod otherwise (the sort of thing I've put down won't let them run off into the distance either but bring things a bit closer).

Last edited by outback_ute; 01-03-2005 at 11:27 PM. Reason: More posts while I was writing!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:22 PM   #183
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Casper its not going anywhere, everyone well just have to swallow what they think is right.
The whole thing won’t get anywhere the way its going, if we go on about simple bonnet scoop, what’s going to happen when the classes are put down on paper.
I just hope the right people do the job!
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 01-03-2005, 11:25 PM   #184
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Casper & Brenden so what do you think of my idea to allow older cars to have scoops then? Your car is "opened" isn't it Brenden it:

Alex is there a difference in the height of the GT/GS bonnet from normal XB/XC bonnets or is it just a change in pressing to cater for the scoops?
John, to be honest, its a massive can of worms that I really am no longer going to try to bother with. I think its simply all to hard and too complex. Time to go back to the good old fashioned 4/6/8 and turbos/N2O/SC'er bump you up a catagory like we have had before. I'll just go out and, with my limited knowledge of drag rules, try to get my own PB's and be happy with that.

Old 01-03-2005, 11:28 PM   #185
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVGT
I just hope the right people do the job!
Alex, what are trying to do is let all the members here have a say on how this goes, the simple way is just to start a time slip forum to start and try and get something going through some classes later on...
we need constructive stuff....its very hard to please everyone on this subject.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 01-03-2005, 11:30 PM   #186
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Shane the only role I see these classes having is so people can see what vehicles are in the same ballpark for mods when comparing times. If we want to have 4 times as many classes at a drag day then that's cool too but not essential.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:31 PM   #187
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
John, to be honest, its a massive can of worms that I really am no longer going to try to bother with. I think its simply all to hard and too complex. Time to go back to the good old fashioned 4/6/8 and turbos/N2O/SC'er bump you up a catagory like we have had before. I'll just go out and, with my limited knowledge of drag rules, try to get my own PB's and be happy with that.
I would say most are in support of this, just get out run a PB and keep having fun...like we always have...
Old 01-03-2005, 11:34 PM   #188
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Shane the only role I see these classes having is so people can see what vehicles are in the same ballpark for mods when comparing times. If we want to have 4 times as many classes at a drag day then that's cool too but not essential.
John, personally I'd love to see it all happen, I have supported it from the beginning. My only issue is I doubt that, with the diversity of cars, there will ever be a consensus of opinions to allow the classes to be created.
I hope I'm wrong but this thread seems to have shown it to be a very difficult task.
For the record, I agree that older cars can have limited scoops. Thats what this whole discussion was about, it just got way off track.

Old 02-03-2005, 03:26 PM   #189
xbcoupe302
formerly xbwgn

so does that mean because my car runs a bug catcher im in outlaw. Racing against brenden cos yeah that seems so fair. to clarfity bonnet vents the vents on my car let air out as air that comes in from them cant get into my carby neway.

weekend driver XB COUPE

daily driver ZH FAIRLANE

project cars V8 XB WAGON
V8 WINDSOR POWERED BLUEBIRD WAGON

wrecking v8 XD WAGON

Last edited by xbcoupe302; 02-03-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:31 PM   #190
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbcoupe302
so does that mean because my car runs a bug catcher im in outlaw. Racing against brenden cos yeah that seems so fair. to clarfity bonnet vents the vents on my car let air out as air that comes in from them cant get into my carby neway.
You can come race forced induction cars with me. Our N/A cars will have to be shoved on n2o Hallams already trying to convince me to use n2o.

Brenden

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 02-03-2005, 03:43 PM   #191
xbcoupe302
formerly xbwgn

so atleast its fair guys can run 6s and v8s which have heaps more power than our dinosaurs but as soon as we try to extract some power we start having to race against forced induction cars?????

weekend driver XB COUPE

daily driver ZH FAIRLANE

project cars V8 XB WAGON
V8 WINDSOR POWERED BLUEBIRD WAGON

wrecking v8 XD WAGON
Old 02-03-2005, 03:50 PM   #192
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

: As I put in my classes there should be more freedoms for older cars, as they will not get near a BA mod-for-mod otherwise (the sort of thing I've put down won't let them run off into the distance either but bring things a bit closer).
Of course it's opened. It'd be a rare find to find 30yo car thats not. Mine's 31yo this year

Allowing a bonnet scoop on old or new is what should happen. As a) it's a modified class anyway b) I'm sure some of the newer cars have clearance issues also.

Agreed a old car with bolt ons won't get anywhere near a late model car.

Brenden

Old 02-03-2005, 03:52 PM   #193
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
ROFL. I said that much earlier didn't I?? May I say "told you so".

It works for the LS1 groups as they all have one type of engine and various model of cars that run the LS1.

Old 02-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #194
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive read some interesting "interpretations" about vents, scoops, nasa this that etc, now the facts:

XBGT vents are there for 2 reasons, 1) aesthetics, i.e to look nice and give the car a sportier appearance and 2) to allow cool air into the engine BAY (for cooling).

Where this air goes and what it does is open to some debate however if you look at the original aircleaner design there is no way in hell these vents would add 1 extra HP to the car. Ford would have used the mustang "ram-air" set-up if they were intended as cold air intakes.

Now some common sence:

You can put all the vents and scoops you like on a bonnet but unless they're directly conected to the induction system of the motor via sealed duct work they will have little to no effect on performance.

Large scoops create drag and resistance and in all honesty unless they are there to give a "ram effect" via sealed ducting they are pretty useless.

So my sugestion is only re-classify cars with non original fittment sealed ducted cold air intakes.

Last edited by 4Vman; 02-03-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:07 PM   #195
Chris
AFF.com.au

true street - driven to the track and raced that way.
modified street - anything modified at the track
hot street - trailered.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:53 PM   #196
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
true street - driven to the track and raced that way.
modified street - anything modified at the track
hot street - trailered.
Hi Chris what about the blokes who tow there car to the track for the purpose of maybe they might break something?There car might only be a mild street car, how will this be classed.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 02-03-2005, 07:58 PM   #197
Chris
AFF.com.au

Then you do what I do - Lalor towing were on standby last friday night for the big falc incase she decided to cough up a rib.

Michael will be on standby again this friday, got some good street rubber, looking for a 1.9 60FT.

In the real world though, the point u make is a good one. tailshafts, unis, pinions, axles, parts do break, and its not like they are performance enhancing parts.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:24 PM   #198
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Then you do what I do - Lalor towing were on standby last friday night for the big falc incase she decided to cough up a rib.

Michael will be on standby again this friday, got some good street rubber, looking for a 1.9 60FT.

In the real world though, the point u make is a good one. tailshafts, unis, pinions, axles, parts do break, and its not like they are performance enhancing parts.
Chris is that the Micheal with that awesome XY GT?
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 02-03-2005, 10:22 PM   #199
strife

im not sure why you guys are really worried about body mods anyway, as long as its pressed steel who really cares, maybe a little bit more attention then it deserves, maybe focus on getting the guys racing first instead of having adminstative drama up front, Im sure it will put people off.

The ls1 classes dont really focus on these things, more on the things that matter, mods, weight etc

andra rules (whilst not racing for sheep stations) but some key factors which andra think are necessary in body mods

Group Two - Super Stock Production

Body; Must be an OEM production car body (note maybe you should stipulate a ford body).
Modifications altering the contour of the body are not permitted.

Original grille must be retained....

Full stock headlights and tail lights must be retained.

The replacement of panels with fibreglass, aluminimum or other materials is not permitted.

Bumpers Stock front and rear bumpers with over-riders or exact replicas in fibre glass or composite with proper bracing required.

Last edited by strife; 02-03-2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:10 AM   #200
Chris
AFF.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVGT
Chris is that the Micheal with that awesome XY GT?
Yes Alex - The jewel green car we believe could be my fathers old car. Michael is a top bloke for helping me out in a jam when the car had the first breakage. His BA is also about to recieve some TLC, hopefully another 110mph red GT :
Old 03-03-2005, 01:50 AM   #201
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chris i bet yoiur hanging out to test this baby, i see some nice mid 12's comming mate, If so it will be good to see what the cams ect do when let loose with some nice rubber

Silhouette FG F6 Xtreme Ford Tuning spec, Power so far 1100+RWHP

FG XR8 Ute 3 speed auto and converter and 9 inch XFT built 5.4 SCJ engine 4.0 litre Whipple 9.40 @ 148 mph Fastest Modular blown Falcon in Aus 4180pounds.

FG GS Miami/Coyote Ute Auto. XFT Xtreme 5.0 Coyote package 10.84 stock blower.

XFT F6E Stage III XFT Engine, stage III XFT ZF along with our new XFT Set up precision, quickest FG ZF with a 9.25@150 MPH
Old 03-03-2005, 09:19 AM   #202
Chris
AFF.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-330
Chris i bet yoiur hanging out to test this baby, i see some nice mid 12's comming mate, If so it will be good to see what the cams ect do when let loose with some nice rubber
Yes - the OFR driving coach has given me a few tips on how to get the GTP off the line

I haven't been going anything over 1500 rpm because of fear of further breakage, but Ive been told to try higher revs, we'll soon see.

if that doesn't work, i may be forced to put the standard headers back on lol
Closed Thread